When is it alright to hate?

You should always follow your heart and be true to yourself.

Are you suggesting if you feel the strong desire to go into a school and shoot a group of nine year old children and the P.E. teacher dead you should do it? I don't think the answer is as simple as "follow your heart" especially when hatred is concerned. You may very well feel it's justified to kill a paedophile but I don't think you should follow your urge. The gut feelings we have aren't always right. how many times have you made an impulsive judgement about someone only to find out later you had it wrong? it has to be said though, I think you're right about being honest with yourself, but that doesn't always mean you're right, sometimes being honest with yourself is about recognising your flaws and working on them.

I can honestly say that I hate some people. I HATE my neighbor across the street, I cringe whenever I see him or hear him speak.

I am a very passionate person when it comes to feelings. I can't really control my feelings of hatred and why should I, if I don't act on them.

Its never alright to hate. Its perfectly alright to disagree.

I agree. However, purging hate from oneself is hard. I think, however, that all hate essentially comes from one source; being emotionally hurt. Acknowledging this, I believe, is the first step in the healing process.

I agree. However, purging hate from oneself is hard. I think, however, that all hate essentially comes from one source; being emotionally hurt. Acknowledging this, I believe, is the first step in the healing process.

No. Plenty of people hate things they don't understand just because they're ignorant, not because they're emotionally wounded puppy dogs. Sometime a cultural byproduct of hate is just that. Some jerk from Achin' Asshole, Alabama who grew up a fundamentalist Christian that was constantly told the mark of Cain was being black and that homosexuality brought the wrath of God on the city of Sodom does not hate Little Richard because Little Richard or some equally gay black man hurt them.

Huh? If you hold objective opinions about ideas rather than emotional opinions about the people who have those ideas, then its easy enough to differentiate between objecting to a notion and persecuting a person who adheres to the notion.

No. Plenty of people hate things they don't understand just because they're ignorant, not because they're emotionally wounded puppy dogs.

Why can't they be both?

takandjive said:
Sometime a cultural byproduct of hate is just that. Some jerk from Achin' Asshole, Alabama who grew up a fundamentalist Christian that was constantly told the mark of Cain was being black and that homosexuality brought the wrath of God on the city of Sodom does not hate Little Richard because Little Richard or some equally gay black man hurt them.

Agreed; but as with a young girl that I believe that was mentioned somewhere here on sciforums that was taught to be racist right from the get go (child services are considering separating her from her parents), -something- has seriously traumatized her (in this case, her parents) and I contend that the same is true for anyone else who has hate.

I will say right off the bat that I'm not immune. The only difference I have is this rather uncommon philosophy I have. It simply permits me in reflective moments to look at the source of any hate I feel and see the wounds beneath it.

scott3x said:

Huh? If you hold objective opinions about ideas rather than emotional opinions about the people who have those ideas, then its easy enough to differentiate between objecting to a notion and persecuting a person who adheres to the notion.

I personally find that differentiating between notions and the people who hold them isn't always so easy. You yourself seem to have expressed a strong dislike, at the very least, for jews in general, it seems.

In any case, do you contend that you are free of hatred?

Anyway, I looked up the definition of wiki. Here's a few excerpts:
"Hatred (or hate) is a word that describes the intense feelings of dislike."

Personally, I rather like the definition of Baruch Spinoza, who apparently defined hate as "a type of pain that is due to an external cause."

Although if you believe as I do that the difference line between the external and the internal is more imaginary than real, things can definitely get.. complicated.

Why can't they be both?

I didn't say they can't be both.

Agreed; but as with a young girl that I believe that was mentioned somewhere here on sciforums that was taught to be racist right from the get go (child services are considering separating her from her parents), -something- has seriously traumatized her (in this case, her parents) and I contend that the same is true for anyone else who has hate.

Not every bigot is raised in an abusive household. That certainly isn't respectful of other people to assume because they're prejudiced that they're abusive. My friend was raised by her grandparents who absolutely abhor black folks. They're still really nice people and they never abused her. She was really freaked out and hated black people.

I've seen countless cases like this. Not everyone is some damn sad abuse case because they're hateful or harmful.

I will say right off the bat that I'm not immune. The only difference I have is this rather uncommon philosophy I have. It simply permits me in reflective moments to look at the source of any hate I feel and see the wounds beneath it.

Every nineteen year old boy in a philosophy class chasing pussy has this philosophy. Get over yourself.

scott3x said:
Why can't they be both?

I didn't say they can't be both.

Ok.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:

Not every bigot is raised in an abusive household.

I didn't say that the household had to be abusive; rather, I implied that -something- had to seriously -traumatize- people who are racist.

takandjive said:
That certainly isn't respectful of other people to assume because they're prejudiced that they're abusive. My friend was raised by her grandparents who absolutely abhor black folks. They're still really nice people and they never abused her. She was really freaked out and hated black people.

This is why I use the term traumatize instead of abuse. But I'm fine with 'freak out' as well.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:

Every nineteen year old boy in a philosophy class chasing pussy has this philosophy.

I doubt it, but if you have proof, I'd be happy to see it.

I didn't say that the household had to be abusive; rather, I implied that -something- had to seriously -traumatize- people who are racist.

You're wrong.

This is why I use the term traumatize instead of abuse. But I'm fine with 'freak out' as well.

She was fine, not traumatized. Just anxious about black people.

Bother going. You are not a special magical snowflake.

scott3x said:

You're wrong.

Apparently you like the term 'freaked out' better. I'm fine with that.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:
takandjive said:
That certainly isn't respectful of other people to assume because they're prejudiced that they're abusive. My friend was raised by her grandparents who absolutely abhor black folks. They're still really nice people and they never abused her. She was really freaked out and hated black people.

She was fine, not traumatized. Just anxious about black people.

Alright, how about she was taught to be 'anxious', 'freaked out', or what have you concerning black people.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:

Bother going.

In other words, you have no proof, only the implication that the proof is 'out there'.

Alright, how about she was taught to be 'anxious', 'freaked out', or what have you concerning black people.

She was taught that they were morally inferior. No fear there.

In other words, you have no proof, only the implication that the proof is 'out there'.

Scott, you have a martyr complex. You think you are special. You think what you are saying is unique or special. Go to a philosophy class or a Rainbow Gathering, and I promise you'll find some self-righteous prig that thinks he is equally as special.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's a national policy, though I do gather your meaning.

I know in places like Texas and Utah, there's no such protection for gay people.

~String

It's unfortunate that there is discrimination but in the case Fraggle mentioned it was private property thus the owner can do as he pleases, including decide whether or not he wants to rent it to a certain group of people.

As for the topic, you can't approach hatred, or such strong emotions, with rationality. You can't say if it is alright in this case or not in that; it's an emotion that we feel. And it's perfectly natural, but not always justified or logical. Yet we feel that it is. And unfortunately, sometimes we act on it. However hatred is hatred, in itself it is neither good nor bad. We, as individuals, decide what we hate.

The problem is when people hate other people without due cause.

scott3x said:

She was taught that they were morally inferior. No fear there.

I feel like I'm chasing you with your own words, and you just keep on changing them :p. Fine, she was "taught that they were morally inferior' :p.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:

Scott, you have a martyr complex. You think you are special. You think what you are saying is unique or special. Go to a philosophy class or a Rainbow Gathering, and I promise you'll find some self-righteous prig that thinks he is equally as special.

I looked up the term "prig"; here's an excerpt:
"He or she sees little need to consider the feelings or intentions of others..."

Something that's definitely not true in my case.

I feel like I'm chasing you with your own words, and you just keep on changing them :p. Fine, she was "taught that they were morally inferior' :p.

That does not mean she was "damaged." My third grade teacher said your intestines would wrap around the earth. It wasn't damaging.

I looked up the term "prig"; here's an excerpt:
"He or she sees little need to consider the feelings or intentions of others..."

Something that's definitely not true in my case.

You're only interested in your own agenda. I personally find you to be the equivalent of a big moist needy insincere puppy with an agenda, and I doubt I am alone.

Back