When is it alright to hate?

Thank you, but the reason I bring up the history is that although my sibling was murdered the guy who did it wasn’t a bad person, rather his actions were bad. Do I hate the guy who did it? No, I just hate the action. As a matter of fact I forgave him, which helped me become a stronger person. Hate in any form for any reason would only cripple me.

I can't say how I'd deal. I'm glad you're dealing with it as best you can in the way that works best for you.

scott3x said:
I believe this to be universal and not tied to any particular example.

The only rule that ever held true was that for every rule there are some situations that do not hold true.

In many cases, I would agree, but not in this one.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:
Can you cite a single example?

A teacher once told my dyslexic brother he thought he was on drugs and retarded and that was his real problem, as was the problem of most Yankees. That's a hateful thing to say to a child, and it was said simply out of xenophobia from a southerner to a northerner. This asshole just thought southerners were morally superior. No bad experiences.

Terms in english are at times misleading. I would say that this is one of those cases. What I mean is this; the teacher didn't hate your brother, although what he said could be defined as hateful. I'm speaking of hate, not things that are considered to be hateful. Honestly, I think it should be categorized as ignorant, bigotted or some other term, so as not to confuse 2 rather different concepts, but I know that the term hateful is at times used in the way you describe.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:
You really like cutting in to me don't you?

No. I don't care if you feel good, bad, or choke on your own vomit.

You'll forgive me if I think that your true feeling lie closer to your last statement there; you've certainly been openly hostile with me for quite some time now.

takandjive said:
You made the assumption in replying to me I gave a damn. I was just clarifying I don't.

I made no assumptions whatsoever here. Once again, you are not the only person in this forum.

takandjive said:
scott3x said:
Anyway, you came up with an example of what would make you hate someone, so I thought I'd come up with my closest equivalent.

I was talking to Oiram and explaining my assertion.

Yes, I know. Since you decided to reveal what would make you hate someone, I decided that expressing my own brush-ins with dislike/hatred might help clarify how I see this, to everyone watching this thread.

takandjive said:
Not going through my feelings like this is a therapy session as you feel compelled to do. I certainly won't stop you, but I don't see the good in it.

Yes, your style seems to be more 'rough and tumble', as I've noted before. However, by revealing what would make you hate someone, you were, in fact, revealing something about yourself. I decided it would be good if I did the same.

Since you decided to reveal what would make you hate someone, I decided that expressing my own brush-ins with dislike/hatred might help clarify how I see this, to everyone watching this thread.

I'm sure everyone is eternally grateful for your input. Everyone eagerly awaits your next move on the chessboard of philosophy and life.

scott3x said:
Since you decided to reveal what would make you hate someone, I decided that expressing my own brush-ins with dislike/hatred might help clarify how I see this, to everyone watching this thread.

I'm sure everyone is eternally grateful for your input. Everyone eagerly awaits your next move on the chessboard of philosophy and life.

You definitely can make me laugh sometimes tak :).

I feel like I am at a tennis match watching you two go back and forth the way you do like a tennis ball

And that would be trolling.

Not in the slightest. I saw the thread and said my piece; don't let your personal opinion of me cloud your thinking.

So, is religious discrimination not hatred? You don't qualify your remarks.

This and that

GeoffP said:

Not in the slightest. I saw the thread and said my piece; don't let your personal opinion of me cloud your thinking.

Take a note from EmmZ, who asked the relevant question.

So, is religious discrimination not hatred? You don't qualify your remarks.

I would refer you to my prior remarks in response to the relevant question.

• • •​

Madanthonywayne said:

Have you heard of Fireproof?

There will always be deviations. Low-budget independent films making excellent returns are not unheard of.

But, to the other, if I actually ran a studio, I would hope to make better products than what passes for "family values" fare. I mean, do you remember Webster? How about Silver Spoons? Or, maybe, Full House?

And there are bad films to be made that are actually fun to watch. The Lost Boys is one of my favorite movies, and everything save for the musical soundtrack is shite.

One of my favorite projects during my youth was called Full Moon. In the 1980s and '90s, they produced straight-to-video B-class films, and had a motto: "200 by 2000". I don't think they actually made it. Some might remember the Puppet Master series of films. Those were just horrible. But Full Moon also did a number of really good, if schlocky films. Among my favorites were Subspecies II and The Pit and the Pendulum. It was a B-class house run by Charles Band, with Jeffrey Combs as recurring talent, and people like Stuart Gordon, Brian Yunza, and David Arkenstone were recurring names on the roster. They did good work, but never pulled large receipts. As a result, the label has been in and out of business a couple times at least.

If I was to make low-budget B-class films, I would hope to do some fun work. But I wouldn't hang my studio for the sake of the latest "After School Special".

Weeelll, this is true. Now if you hate them for that - which is actually pretty reasonable, really, or at least hating their agenda or that portion thereof if we want to be absurdly reasonable - is that not still hate? Is that hate bad? Is hate a uniformly bad thing? From the material stance?

You'll pardon me; it's Nihilism Week here in East Korea.

It is "alright" to hate any person or people who you perceive to be a threat, directly or indirectly, to both your self-interests as an individual and the group-interests of the people you identify with. This is only natural.

Hate, beyond this definition, seems irrational.

It is "alright" to hate any person or people who you perceive to be a threat, directly or indirectly, to both your self-interests as an individual and the group-interests of the people you identify with. This is only natural.

Hate, beyond this definition, seems irrational.

The problem is that frequently, that which you think that is a threat, isn't, and that which you think isn't, is. Take 9/11, for instance...

The problem is that frequently, that which you think that is a threat, isn't, and that which you think isn't, is. Take 9/11, for instance...

Whoa whoa - you've switched camps to the "Arab terrorists really did do 9/11"? Scott! Kudos! My hat to you, sir.

Bakert.jpg

scott3x said:

Whoa whoa - you've switched camps to the "Arab terrorists really did do 9/11"? Scott! Kudos! My hat to you, sir.

Bakert.jpg

In your dreams, Geoff ;-). My comment was meant for people just like you, actually ;)

Yes, but you'll notice that I'm not actually wearing a hat in the photo.

Anon, Sir!

Back