What Turned You Away from God?

it's just there, stranger. Apparently some people don't have it. That's not a put down. Nowhere have I claimed superiority. You don't have to be a spiritual person to enjoy life.
///
Apparently some people do not have many things. Like critical thinking, for 1.
Tho it is not meant as a put down, my view is superior for I face reality without fairy tales or imaginary fiends.

<>

For the most part it is a collection of chemical processes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgasm
As with any other neurological manifestation, the same goes for poetry as well.
The interesting part is that chemistry is absolutely fundamental to sentience.
This is already apparent in insects (the oldest sentient surface dwellers) which, other than by touch, actually communicate through chemical signals such as pheromones and allomones, over distances as far as 20 miles.

Do you believe this world has been and will always be the beginning and end of all life in the Universe? For us, maybe. Not for God.

I'm not totally sure what 'this world' refers to.

I don't conceive of it as a closed set (I believe that there are almost certainly many things left to discover, some of which might be totally amazing and might overturn and falsify many of the things we currently believe) and I certainly don't pretend that I understand it (I find everyday reality to be profoundly mysterious).

(That's where I disagree with many of the atheists on this board who seem to me to favor a rather doctrinaire scientism.)

Nor do I understand why 'this world' is supposed to be insufficient in itself, but why adding 'God' to it will supposedly make everything satisfactory.

That looks to me like a choice about how one decides to conceive of things. Or perhaps a selective emotional response to the different ways we might conceive of them.

I guess that many people find it much easier to relate emotionally to other people than to inanimate objects. So they want to conceive of the fundamental principle and source of the universe in such a way that they can best relate to it emotionally. So imaginatively putting a "person" there makes everything a lot easier for them.

(And that's where I part company with the theists.)

Last edited:
As a rule man is a fool
When it's hot he wants it cool
When it's cool he wants it hot
Always wanting what is not

From "Wild is Love" by Nat 'King' Cole.

Last edited:
I prefer watching ducks. All of them look like duckies. They're also more relatable than clouds and gods.
As Carlin observed;
"I can see the sun, that helps with the credibility",
"overnight I became a sun worshipper",
"well not overnight, can't see the sun at night",
"but the next day I became a sun worshipper",
"gives me everything I need, warmth, flowers, reflections on the lake",
"an occasional skin cancer, but hey...."..:rolleyes:

As Carlin observed;
"I can see the sun, that helps with the credibility",
"overnight I became a sun worshipper",
"well not overnight, can't see the sun at night",
"but the next day I became a sun worshipper",
"gives me everything I need, warmth, flowers, reflections on the lake",
"an occasional skin cancer, but hey...."..:rolleyes:
Eh, I'm calling you: "Piss, shit cock, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits" from now on.

Bowser said:
Clouds are cool to watch. They just do their thing without any effort.
Where do you get your vision from?
If the quantity of water that is condensed in and subsequently precipitated from a cloud is known, then the total energy of a thunderstorm can be calculated. In a typical thunderstorm, approximately 5×10^8 kg of water vapor are lifted, and the amount of energy released when this condenses is 10^15 joules. This is on the same order of magnitude of energy released within a tropical cyclone, and more energy than that released during the atomic bomb blast at Hiroshima, Japan in 1945.
Mythology and religion[edit]
Thunderstorms strongly influenced many early civilizations. Greeks believed that they were battles waged by Zeus, who hurled lightning bolts forged by Hephaestus. Some American Indian tribes associated thunderstorms with the Thunderbird, who they believed was a servant of the Great Spirit.
The Norse considered thunderstorms to occur when Thor went to fight Jötnar, with the thunder and lightning being the effect of his strikes with the hammer Mjölnir. Hinduism recognizes Indra as the god of rain and thunderstorms.
Christian doctrine accepted the ideas of Aristotle's original work, called Meteorologica, that winds were caused by exhalations from the Earth and that fierce storms were the work of God. These ideas were still within the mainstream as late as the 18th century.
Martin Luther was out walking when a thunderstorm began, causing him to pray to God for being saved and promising to become a monk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstorm#Mythology_and_religion

Last edited:
Back