what do women get out of islam?

SAM, you're way off on this one. I understand these are circumstances focused around Lut, but it isn't as if the recollection of Lut is invalid. Allah says he was sent as a messenger, so his message should be taken seriously, especially if it is mentioned in the Qur'an.

27:54 (We also sent) Lut (as a messenger): behold, He said to his people, “Do ye do what is shameful though ye see (its iniquity)?”
27:55 Would ye really approach men in your lusts rather than women? Nay, ye are a people (grossly) ignorant!
27:56 But his people gave no other answer but this: they said, “Drive out the followers of Lut from your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!”
27:57 But We saved him and his family, except his wife; her We destined to be of those who lagged behind.
27:58 And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)!

Allah sent Lut, and he spread the message of homosexuality being forbidden. No punishment? The punishment says a 'shower of brimstone'.

Here, Allah tells us to remember Lot's words. By telling us to remember them, it is pretty obvious and self-explanatory that we are supposed to believe them. Especially if Allah doesn't show any disagreement with it.

7:80 Remember the words of Lot, who said to his people: “Will you persist in these indecent acts which no other nation has committed before you?
7:81 You lust after men instead of women. Truly, you are a degenerate people.”
7:82 Their only answer was: “Banish him from your city, him and all his followers. They are men who would keep chaste.”
7:83 We delivered Lot and all his kinsfolk, except his wife, who stayed behind,
7:84 and let loose a shower upon them. Consider the fate of the evil-doers.

SAM, you're way off on this one. I understand these are circumstances focused around Lut, but it isn't as if the recollection of Lut is invalid. Allah says he was sent as a messenger, so his message should be taken seriously, especially if it is mentioned in the Qur'an.

27:54 (We also sent) Lut (as a messenger): behold, He said to his people, “Do ye do what is shameful though ye see (its iniquity)?”
27:55 Would ye really approach men in your lusts rather than women? Nay, ye are a people (grossly) ignorant!
27:56 But his people gave no other answer but this: they said, “Drive out the followers of Lut from your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!”
27:57 But We saved him and his family, except his wife; her We destined to be of those who lagged behind.
27:58 And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)!

Allah sent Lut, and he spread the message of homosexuality being forbidden. No punishment? The punishment says a 'shower of brimstone'.

Here, Allah tells us to remember Lot's words. By telling us to remember them, it is pretty obvious and self-explanatory that we are supposed to believe them. Especially if Allah doesn't show any disagreement with it.

7:80 Remember the words of Lot, who said to his people: “Will you persist in these indecent acts which no other nation has committed before you?
7:81 You lust after men instead of women. Truly, you are a degenerate people.”
7:82 Their only answer was: “Banish him from your city, him and all his followers. They are men who would keep chaste.”
7:83 We delivered Lot and all his kinsfolk, except his wife, who stayed behind,
7:84 and let loose a shower upon them. Consider the fate of the evil-doers.

Like I said the original word used is a word that applies to hospitality; the story of Lot is the story of guests and how they are to be treated. Its not a story about gay sex. The people of Sodom waylaid travelers and treated them shabbily. They were punished for being rapists and and for their inhospitality.

I believe the story should be told like this:

The people of Lot denied the Apostles. When their brother said to them, “Will you not fear? Surely I’m a faithful Apostle to you. Then fear God and obey me. And I do not ask you any reward for it; my reward is only with the LORD of the Nations. You approach the males among the Nations and leave what your LORD created for you in your mates? Nay, you are transgressing people.” They said, “If you don’t stop, O Lot, you will be among the expelled.” He said, “Surely I am among the abhorrers of your doing. My LORD, deliver me and my family from what they do.” So, We delivered him and his family all. Except an old woman among the doomed. Then, We destroyed the last of them. And, We rained down on them a rain; so evil was the rain on the warned. Surely in that is a sign and most of them are not believers. And surely your LORD is the Mighty, the Merciful.

In the Qur’an, one of the accusations these people faced was: wataqda`una sabila or “You rob the road.” (2) The cities – Sodom and Gomorrah – have been identified as once being where the ruins of Bab edh-Dhra and Numeira are today, the south portion of the Dead Sea. (3) So, what does that mean? They robbed the Greeks, the Arabs, and the Canaanites, among other nations.

Establishing the words nations rather than “creations” or “worlds,” or “among” instead of “of all,” puts the story in a different spot. If the Qur’an actually says, “Do you approach the males above of all creatures” what does that mean? It means it is about their approaching the males. Which then confuses the hell out of the reader when he reads the verse 29:29, which quotes the prophet Lot as saying: “Surely you approach the males and rob the road, and you approach vice in your meetings” (half verse.)

If you translate it as “Do you approach the males among the nations” in 26:165, and later you get to 29:29 and you see it is talking about them also robbing the road, it immediately becomes apparent to you that these people were a) robbing the road, b) abusing the poor businessmen [from other nations] on that road. And what about the munkar or vice in their meetings? Meetings where robbery and abuse is planned sounds pretty evil to me.

Reading the story, it is pretty clear that Lot is not in danger physically. The only danger he is in is joining “among the expelled.” And since they don’t believe in him (note how they challenge him to bring the wrath of God if he is being ‘truthful’), we can assume they are not leaving him alone because he is an Apostle of God. So why are they leaving him alone? Perhaps this is not against the men in town. Well, this theory is further supported by the presence of the males who visit Lot. It is actually Angels. Let me quote the Qur’an:

And when our Apostles came to Lot, he was grieved for them and he lacked strength to protect them, and said, “This is a hard day.” And came his people, rushing towards him, and already they did evil deeds. He said “O my people, these are my daughters -- they are purer for you, so fear God and do not disgrace me with my visitors; is there not among you one right-minded man?” They said, “Certainly you know that we have no right among your daughters and surely you know what we want.” He said, “Ah! Had I the power to suppress you, rather I shall have recourse to a strong support.” They said, “O Lut! We are the Apostles of your LORD; they shall by no means reach you; so travel yours family in a part of the night -- and let none of you turn back -- except your wife, surely it shall befall her what befalls them; surely their appointed time is the morning; isn’t the morning close?” So when our decree came to pass, we turned them upside down and rained down upon them stones, of what had been decreed, one after another. Marked (for punishment) with your LORD and it is not far off from the unjust. (4)

Here, we find our answer about who exactly the people of Lot were after. Lot seems to be depressed, knowing what is waiting for his people because he knows they won’t be able to resist the visitors and that will be the last straw with God. What if they just left the Angels alone? What if they didn’t try to rush in and abuse the Angels… and rather went home and repented?

The traditional Muslim insists that the people of Lot were Homosexuals. What is a Homosexual? If Homosexual is someone who has psychological and physical attraction to their same sex then the people of Lot were certainly not Homosexuals. For one thing, Lot offers them his daughters, but we know from another verse, 26:166, that they already have azwaj or mates. So, of course, like they say, they “have no right among” his daughters. The men even tell Lot that he knows what they want. And so do we.

What do they want? Well, we go back a little and we find out that they want a) to rob the road and b) approach the males among the nations. This cannot be from the same nation, because then they will face wars and what have you. They want to rob and sexually abuse men from other nations who are either traveling for business or visiting people or whatever. They plot and scheme to abuse others. For whatever the reasons, that is what they want.

It seems that the men of these cities are not after men who move there, as was the case with Lot who moved from Ur [Mesopotamia] with his uncle Abraham and relocated to where he is when the story of these people takes place. So while they want to abuse the visitors and the traveling businessman on the road, they are apparently unwilling to abusing permanent residents.

Another point is that the people of Lot are forcing people, whether sexually or financially. Do Homosexuals force people? I don’t know any Homosexual who forces people. But we certainly know people who rape others and rob them. And they are not Homosexuals but they are people who are just – like the Qur’an puts it – transgressing people. The people of Lot were as much Homosexuals as are the straight men who raped others in Somalia or Iraq or any other country where the “subjugation” of other straight males is seen as ‘fun’ or ‘empowering.’

This site presents a lot of what the quran has to say about women.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/women/long.html

4:19 O ye who believe! It is not lawful for you forcibly to inherit the women (of your deceased kinsmen), nor (that) ye should put constraint upon them that ye may take away a part of that which ye have given them, unless they be guilty of flagrant lewdness. But consort with them in kindness, for if ye hate them it may happen that ye hate a thing wherein Allah hath placed much good.

4:34 Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great.

Oh here's a charming tidbit! check out 23:6! :eek:

23:1 Successful indeed are the believers
23:2 Who are humble in their prayers,
23:3 And who shun vain conversation,
23:4 And who are payers of the poor-due; Pay the poor-due.
23:5 And who guard their modesty - (23:5-6)
23:6 Save from their wives or the (slaves) that their right hands possess, for then they are not blameworthy,

You don't have to be modest around your wives or your slave girls "that your right hands possess."
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/23/index.htm#6

SAM, if you're going to copy and paste your whole damn argument from http://huriyahmag.com/afdhere/lut.htm, then for ****'s sake, give them credit, and don't make it seem as if you wrote the whole thing.

But if we're quoting...(wiki)

According to Islamic tradition, Lut lived in Ur and was a nephew of Ibrahim(Abraham). His story is often used as a reference by traditional Islamic scholars to show that homosexuality is haram ("unlawful"). He was commanded by God to go to the land of Sodom and Gomorra to preach on his people to monotheism (the belief that there is only one God) and to stop them from their sinful acts. Such acts include practicing all acts of indecency (public orgies, aggressiveness) in their public places of assembly and meetings. They also used to kill and rob travellers, cheat their friends and cut off the highway (waylay). In the Qur'an as in the Bible, Lut's messages are ignored, Sodom and Gomorra are destroyed and his wife is left behind to be destroyed. However, this does not mean that his wife used to practice homosexuality but worshipped what her people used to worship (i.e she was a polytheist).

"Verily, you practise your lusts on men instead of women. Nay, but you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (by committing great sins)." And the answer of his people was only that they said: "Drive them out of your town, these are indeed men who want to be pure (from sins)!" Then We saved him and his family, except his wife; she was of those who remained behind (in the torment). And We rained down on them a rain (of stones). Then see what was the end of the Mujrimun (criminals, polytheists, sinners, etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Lot

Practicing your lust on men instead of women is completely self-explanatory. If you think that practicing lust on men instead of women somehow translates into robbery and rape, then you are an idiot. Yes, Lot did preach against the thiefs and murders, but that was IN ADDITION to preaching against homosexuality.

My main question to you: how does practicing lust on men instead of women mean robbery/rape/murder, and NOT homosexuality?

EDIT: Sam, the people who usually say homosexuality is allowed in Islam are the homosexuals themselves. You wouldn't happen to fall under this category, would you?

Last edited:
My main question to you: how does practicing lust on men instead of women mean robbery/rape/murder, and NOT homosexuality?

I have it copied on my drive. :)

Because it is present in animals too and hence, is fitrah. And married men who rape other men are merely sadists, not homosexuals. Homosexual men do not sleep with women. Besides, isn't it curious that the ONLY incident in the Quran re: this subject is the tale of Lut? The Quran directly declares all things that are wrong, but skips over homosexuality? And what about women? No homosexual women?

Also the guests were angels, not men. So how is that about homosexuality at all?

Besides, its all by the by:

"To God do belong the unseen (secrets) of the heavens and the earth, and to Him goeth back every affair (for decision): so worship Him, and put thy trust in Him: and thy Lord is not unmindful of aught that ye do." 11:123

If it is present in animals (as has been shown and hence is a powerful Sign) it is fitrah, and hence cannot be a sin.

"Do they not reflect in their own minds? Not but for just ends and for a term appointed, did God create the heavens and the earth, and all between them: yet are there truly many among men who deny their meeting with their Lord (at the Resurrection)! Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them? They were superior to them in strength: they tilled the soil and populated it in greater numbers than these have done: there came to them their messengers with Clear (Signs), (which they rejected, to their own destruction): it was not God who wronged them, but they wronged their own souls. In the long run Evil in the extreme will be the End of those who do evil; for that they rejected the Signs of God, and held them up to ridicule". 30:8-10

edit: ah back to my sexuality perhaps the encyclopedia?
[ENC]samcdkey[/ENC]

Because it is present in animals too and hence, is fitrah. And married men who rape other men are merely sadists, not homosexuals. Homosexual men do not sleep with women. Besides, isn't it curious that the ONLY incident in the Quran re: this subject is the tale of Lut? The Quran directly declares all things that are wrong, but skips over homosexuality? And what about women? No homosexual women?

Just because something is practiced in the animal kingdom, doesn't mean it is okay. Some animals practice cannibalism, so according to your logic, I could just throw a dead body on the grill and have me some human supper. Nope, doesn't work that way. Some animals eat their own shit, but if I did it, people would call it gross, repulsive, and sickening. But hey, as long as the animals do it, right? Riiighht.

If it is present in animals (as has been shown and hence is a powerful Sign) it is fitrah, and hence cannot be a sin

Read the response to this BS argument above.

---

And it doesn't surprise me that you failed to answer my question.

Just based on the language and presentation of this section of the Qur'an, how could it refer to ANYTHING BUT homosexuals?

Just because something is practiced in the animal kingdom, doesn't mean it is okay. Some animals practice cannibalism, so according to your logic, I could just throw a dead body on the grill and have me some human supper. Nope, doesn't work that way. Some animals eat their own shit, but if I did it, people would call it gross, repulsive, and sickening. But hey, as long as the animals do it, right? Riiighht.

Read the response to this BS argument above.

---

And it doesn't surprise me that you failed to answer my question.

Just based on the language and presentation of this section of the Qur'an, how could it refer to ANYTHING BUT homosexuals?

Based on the language and presentation in the Quran, how could it possibly refer to homosexuals? Why refer to robbery, guests? Why offer daughters instead of guests? For sex? For rape? Or instead of robbery and rape, as wives that come with mehr? I feel this viewpoint misjudges the Apostle as well as fails to recognise the sanctity of hospitality that exists in Arabia.

And I did not answer your question because I want your unadulterated opinion. :)

As for what is haram, it is clearly said And forbidden to you is....

Note that it does not mention gay sex.

PRACTICE LUST ON MEN instead of WOMEN.

Prefer men over women. Want men over women.

How the hell can wanting men over women be related to robbery? You can argue it is related to rape, but only a homosexual man would rape another man. This verse is so obvious that it sickens me how two people that believe the same faith can disagree so vehemently over it.

PRACTICE LUST ON MEN instead of WOMEN.

Prefer men over women. Want men over women.

How the hell can wanting men over women be related to robbery? You can argue it is related to rape, but only a homosexual man would rape another man. This verse is so obvious that it sickens me how two people that believe the same faith can disagree so vehemently over it.

What about the women? Is homosexuality okay for women?

but only a homosexual man would rape another man.

Not true: homosexual rape is more often about power and/ or establishing control than actual sex.

Myth: It is only gay men that sexually assault other men.

Reality: The vast majority of men who sexually assault other men identify themselves as heterosexual. This fact helps to highlight another reality, that is, that sexual assault is usually more about violence, anger, domination and control over another person, than it is about lust or sexual attraction.

http://www.aest.org.uk/survivors/male/myths_about_male_rape.htm

I'm not even going to bother reading the link. I can't think of a single STRAIGHT person who would rape a man. If you're perfectly straight, you physically wouldn't be able to do such things and find it all disgusting.

Either way, this doesn't change the fact that 'lust for men over women' means preferring men over women (homsexuality), and Lot was sent to abolish it.

I'm not even going to bother reading the link. I can't think of a single STRAIGHT person who would rape a man.
So because you personally can't conceive of it it doesn't happen and you won't check the evidence?
I had thought better of you.

If you're perfectly straight, you physically wouldn't be able to do such things and find it all disgusting.
Disgusting?
Perspective.
I spend most of my evenings out in a gay club.
I don't consider it disgusting...
(And no, before you ask me as well, I am not at all inclined or tempted to "bat for the other side" :D )

Either way, this doesn't change the fact that 'lust for men over women' means preferring men over women (homsexuality), and Lot was sent to abolish it.
So now the wording is
lust for men over women

instead of
lust on men instead of women
?

Maybe because:
Historically, a man who was raped lost his "manhood," and could no longer be a ruler or a warrior. How times don't change. Except for one, that is: the rape of men was recognized in history; modern society does not acknowledge its existence.
http://www.robinschone.com/page/mens_health.htm
It's control thing, not a sex thing.

Last edited:
So because you personally can't conceive of it it doesn't happen and you won't check the evidence?

Can you think of any reason why the men arrested for sexually assaulting other men consider themselves heterosexual? It's because they're embarrassed. We can only speculate to what extent a homosexual man would go to conceal his sexuality. A man is more socially acceptable for raping another men if he says he did it to feel superior than if he did it because of homosexuality. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Disgusting?
Perspective.
I spend most of my evenings out in a gay club.
I don't consider it disgusting...
(And no, before you ask me as well, I am not at all inclined or tempted to "bat for the other side" :D )

Sitting in a gay bar is a world apart from actually engaging in sexual intercourse with a man.

I had thought better of you.

You read my posts? I'm flattered! :)

Can you think of any reason why the men arrested for sexually assaulting other men consider themselves heterosexual? It's because they're embarrassed.
They're embarrassed?
But they've just committed a very serious crime and they're embarrassed about admitting their sexuality?
Pffft.

We can only speculate to what extent a homosexual man would go to conceal his sexuality. A man is more socially acceptable for raping another men if he says he did it to feel superior than if he did it because of homosexuality. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
:roflmao:
Too much.

Sitting in a gay bar is a world apart from actually engaging in sexual intercourse with a man.
Depends who you listen to.
I've faced a fair bit of "stick" for even considering going to gay bars...

You read my posts? I'm flattered! :)
You should be. :D

They're embarrassed?
But they've just committed a very serious crime and they're embarrassed about admitting their sexuality?
Pffft.

:roflmao:
Too much.

It's fair to say that this little 'debate' is over. When your only response is laughter, you know you're done. It was fun while it lasted.

You should be.

I always considered you to be one of the smarter people on this forum (seriously). But now...I'm not too sure.

It's fair to say that this little 'debate' is over. When your only response is laughter, you know you're done. It was fun while it lasted.
The laughter was because you're denying multitudes of documented studies based on on your own feelings.
Hardly the way to go.

I always considered you to be one of the smarter people on this forum (seriously). But now...I'm not too sure.
I have that effect.
You'll learn.
What I meant by my reply was that I don't read everyone's posts, most aren't worth the time to read, let alone reply to.

The analogy is completely appropriate, and done so by mathematics (something that's rather difficult to argue).
We'll have to agree to disagree. Please define what you mean when you say women are equal. What I mean is that women are treated equal under the law. That there is no distinction between women and men legally.

For my sake, just try reading the entire book with an open mind. If you read only sections, then you can't read it by context.
I'm not sure when the time will avail itself but I'll give it a go.

Wow, thanks for the Zen meditation information. I kind of lost track of how this related to women in Islam. Oh well, I'll take you word for it.
Just that it's possible for you to explain something you fond enlightening in the Qur'an that was novel. You're the one that said the book was "perfect".

So why are you constantly bringing up the issue? If you truly accept polygamy in Islam, is it safe to say that this section of the debate is closed?
I accept that Muslims condone polygamy for men, but I'm not sure if the argument has been made that this is a good thing for women? As women are born at about 50% of the population if anything it seems kind of stupid.

1) The choice of men having many wives and women not having many husbands is discriminatory. There is no two ways about it. To that we must agree purely on grounds of logic.
2) The choice of 4 wives is completely arbitrary. Why not 2 or why not 6? To that we must also agree (unless you have a logical reason for the number 4).
3) You argument that the reason why Mohammad took more than the proscribed 4 wives is not convincing.

For example: IMHO I think that we would both agree that if we saw a 50+ year old man having an adult relationship with a teenage girl we would think it wrong. Maybe even call the police. Imagine your teenage sister or daughter bringing home her 55 year old teacher and I'm sure you'd want to set her down and have a long talk with her. So, with this in mind, a good example (aka lesson) would have been one where say Aisha was adopted and loved as a daughter . In my mind a much better lesson, one that I would appreciate right now and an example that Mohammad could have set which would have been a good precedent for future generations.

By Islamic law, you cannot allow something just because it is someone's choice. People do make their own choices and decisions in life, and a lot of the times, they're wrong. What if my choice was to kill everybody who disagreed with me? What if I hated my life and chose to end it? These are poorly informed choices and shouldn't be allowed just because I formed them.
Firstly your first example harms others. We agreed that such was not that case for homosexuals. Your second example can not be stopped if the person truly intends to harm themselves and so you couldn’t do anything about it if they were truly intent about killing themselves (they’d just jump off a bride or take a mouth full of sleeping pills). Two adult men having a relationship does not harm anyone including themselves.

So we’re left with what I said. You think homosexuality is wrong and think polygamy is right because a book to you so.

In my opinion that’s a poor place to put one’s self.

I anticipated this argument from you. NO, I do not think the USA should take Iraqis for slaves BECAUSE the WAR ITSELF was completely UNJUSTIFIED. Want to debate the Iraqi war? I'm MORE THAN happy to. It was a completely unjustifiable war originated from falsehood and deception.
Then if the war was a just one you would be in favor of Muslims being pressed into Slavery? I find that hard to believe.

PS: I agree the war was illegal. But I disagree that Slavery is ever justified.

So what do you propose to do with the people left over after war? Leave them so they can possibly harm you, or kill them all so they can't?
Make peace with them. Ensure that their land will be theirs. Let them retain their values and ensure they understand they will be free and that the war was one they waged and they lost.

Using you’re notion the USA should have enslaved the Japanese or the Germans. I think you’d agree it is better we didn’t.

You DO agree????

Well, I have never been to these nations, so I can't tell you first-hand how they treat women. From what I see, from what I hear, from what I read, I can tell you their treatment of women is wrong by any definition. There isn't a religion under the sun which would condone and encourage such actions. I find the hostile treatment towards women 'unfair' and 'illegal' because not only does it go against my religion, but innocent people are hurt in the process.
Yes I agree it is unfair and wrong. If the Qur’an is perfect, how is it that all of these Islamic States keep reading it and coming up with societies that discriminate against women or women having the same rights as men.

Again I am reminded of the Communist Manifesto. It may be written perfectly on paper and on paper everyone is rich and free but in the real world it simply doesn’t work. But, at least they got one thing right, the women in Communist counties are legally equal to men. Heck, women are even Imams in China.

You asked your 'Iranian buddy.' What about the other tens of millions of people that could disagree? I know two Iranian families that moved over to Vancouver, and they seriously thought communism was what Iran should be run by. Do you think Iran could be successful and prosperous under communism?
That’s a good point. It’s just his personal opinion. Don’t get me wrong I’m in no way pro-Xiananity. I feel Xianity caused the destruction of some of the greatest civilizations on the planet. Xianty caused the Chinese to close China and the Japanese to close an kill all Xians in Japan. Christianity justified the genocide of the Americas, Australia, the Pacific etc… As Reza knows all this too, because we talk about this sometimes, I was surprised with his answer.

I’ll ask him again next time I see him.

Michael

No, I do not think these religions should build their shrines of worship on Muslim lands. No Muslim could build a Mosque in a region or area dominated by another religion, especially if it were constructed near a Hindu holy site. If these religions have their own land, then they should build it on their land only. However, any of these religions should be free to build a holy place of worship on a soil like, say, America, because America is a democracy. These things are legal here (even if mosques are usually vandalized).
- Then what should be done about the new Churches being built in UAE?

- What about in Iraq and Egypt where churches used to be? Should they be able to built new ones as the Xian populations grows?

- What about Japan? Do you think that the Mosques built in Japan should be torn down because it’s “Buddhist” land?

Actually again Sam is much more liberal on this. She thinks it should be fine to build even a Hindu Temple in Muslim lands. If they want to why not? It’s their business and they are not harming anyone – right?

Michael

Back