what do women get out of islam?

This is where you fail to see the different perspectives in marriage. In Islam, the sole purpose of being married is to have children. If you're marrying and refusing to have kids, then it is a direct defiance to its purpose. If you can't have kids and you marry somebody who can, then you are invalidating that person's ability to make children, which stifles the population's growth.

Why need it grow? Why not it stay stable? Why shouldn't a woman be able to marry four men in islam? You haven't answered my question.

What the hell are you talking about? Please, gimme a link.

Check wikipedia.

I don't criticize them. They can do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't harm me.

But you did. Which is it then?

Islam is a religion by definition, and yes, it does have governmental issues within that says how Muslim-dominated nations should be run. However, can you point to me one nation that is a perfectly implemented Islamic theocracy? No, you can't, which is why you shouldn't affiliate a country's crimes with a religion.

I can if they base their decisions on unanimous islamic legal jurisprudence. All four islamic schools demand death for apostates, for starters. That demands criticism.

Then I marvel at your ability to sit on the computer for countless hours to respond to every bit of knowledge that isn't in complete accordance with yours. That takes a lot of closed-mindedness to do, my friend.

Rather, it takes a lot of conviction, and intelligence, and the knowledge of one's own morality. Not everyone is so blessed; then again, the issue is easy for me because it is, indeed, obvious to the morally inclined.

In my experience, most of Muslim women I have met seem to be more religious than men.

Perhaps they see the interest in raising their children with morals and belief in God.

Why need it grow? Why not it stay stable? Why shouldn't a woman be able to marry four men in islam? You haven't answered my question.

Because the biological purpose in life is to reproduce and maintain offspring. If people started to marry and not have children, the population would take a nosedive, and that is not what anybody wants. I have said ample times why it is one to four (man to woman) and not the other way around. You're simply going in circles and trying to bore me from continuing this debate.

Check wikipedia.

You're the one making the bold statements, so you should provide the link and point me to where you found this information out.

But you did. Which is it then?

Where did I criticize them? Point to me where the HELL I criticized them. I DO disagree with that particular practice, but I accept and respect it. As long as it is harmless to me and others, I have no need to criticize it.

I can if they base their decisions on unanimous islamic legal jurisprudence. All four islamic schools demand death for apostates, for starters. That demands criticism.

Can you give me the verse in the Qur'an that orders death for apostates?

Rather, it takes a lot of conviction, and intelligence, and the knowledge of one's own morality. Not everyone is so blessed; then again, the issue is easy for me because it is, indeed, obvious to the morally inclined.

Funny, because throughout this debate, you haven't convinced me at all; rather, you've strengthened my faith. I have not sensed any intelligent discussion from you - only debating in circles and word play. Oh, and are you implying that YOU yourself are blessed? Well then, what blessed you? A God?

This sentence seems contradicting.

Not contradicting whatsoever. Some things are on the lines, and some things are "between the lines." Understand?

To me it’s a contradiction to say woman and men are equal and then say men can practice polygamy by marrying more than one wife but women can not marry more than one husband.

Is 3 + 1 equal to 2 + 2?

Yes.

Is 3 + 1 the SAME as 2 + 2?

No. But they are equal. Just like these numbers, men and women are equal, but it is different advantages one gets over the other to make them ultimately equal. Nobody said they were the same.

Which is why I don’t think it’s unfair of me to ask you to show me an example of something novel and enlightening in regard to the human condition in the Qur’an. I would think it would be easy for you to just look up something quickly. I find it disingenuous to say the Qur’an is this great book and not be able to qualify the statement. I’m left with the conclusion that there isn’t anything novel and enlightening or you’d have posted it. What other conclusion could I come to?

You're recycling this same horrible argument. What may be enlightening for one person isn't enlightening to the other. I find it pointless to post anything from the Qur'an because it's obvious you won't see it through the same eyes as me. On topic, have you ever read the Qur'an?

I personally don’t care if it isn’t breaking a law. The society I live in legally prohibits polygamy because it’s considered immoral by the majority of people living in this society. That doesn’t mean it’s immoral – just immoral to the majority of citizens living in this society.

Are there any Muslims starting riots to pressure these nations into allowing polygamy? If the Muslims respect your traditions for one man and one woman, can't you respect theirs?

I just wondered what you thought? Do you want to practice polygamy?

Unless I have a very good income, no. One woman is hard enough (financially) to look after these days. And then there's children...

Let's try this from a different angle: Do you think that two consulting adult Muslim men should be able to openly practice homosexuality with each other?

No, and I don't want to argue why. If you want to start a thread about homosexuality, then I'd be sure to debate it. However, for this thread, I'm not going to talk about it.

By your statement about polygamy I should think you would be perfectly happy with two homosexual Muslim men marrying one another as it’s none of our business? Is this correct?

My definition, no "Muslim" can be homosexual. If they are homosexual and practice it normally, they have lost their place under Islam. So, because of this, your scenario would never unfold.

Also, I seemed to have missed something: You do or do not think Slavery (as in owning another human) is wrong? You said the Islamic slavery wasn't anything compared with European and American slavery and perhaps this is true - but really not my question. Anyway, probably some American slave owners were pretty nice and treated their slaves well and some Muslim Slave owners were pretty nice and treated their slaves well but some American and some Muslim Slave owners probably beat the shit out of their slaves, raped them, and simply were cruel people. I think Slavery as in legally owning another human is always immoral.

The slaves which the Muslims had were picked up from the aftermath of war. If you leave the civilians to themselves, there is a chance (a good chance) they'll want vengeance and revenge and continue to war further, possibly causing you deaths. If you want to completely nullify the problem, you would have to kill all of the remaining people, which is pretty barbaric. They kept them to work for them (paying/feeding/clothing them, not hurting them) until their status as threatening was dismissed, and then released them into their society and helped them out. That seems perfectly normal to me. Slaves weren't slaves for life, you know.

I thought perhaps you knew something of the Ottoman Empire. I’m interested in antiquity and the various Golden Ages that accompanied the various civilizations. I find Greek inventions astonishing. Simply amazing. In some ways Greeks were 2000 years ahead of their time.

1) I do know extensively on the Ottoman Empire. However, needless to say, I have never found a male to female judge ratio. I don't think such information for any empire (Muslim or non-muslim) was recorded.

2) I agree. The Greeks were fascinating people.

You seem to gloss over the colonization of the ME by the Mongolians? Anyway, I am interested in the math, science, medicines, ect… which is why I had asked. I still need to go back and about the people you posted. And I will - I’ve just been very busy.

1) What about the Mongolian colonization?

2) http://www.ummah.net/history/scholars/index.html

This website shows the cream of the crop as far as the Muslim scientists/engineers/doctors went. To read further, look up their names on Wiki. Their discoveries and advancements were great.

I personally prefer a Republic or maybe a Democracy because though an Emperor may be great there is nothing saying that the son will be great and often they aren't. At least when we get a dick head like Bush II we can get rid of him after 8 years. Could imagine a whole life time with this guy? Shit we'd be screwed!

I agree. An emperor isn't the best idea. However, Islam doesn't say a country should have an emperor/dictator. Also, the Ottomans were pretty fortunate as far as quality emperors go, considering they lasted over six centuries. I just included them as an example because they did tolerate other religions, were extremely powerful, but were also civilized and contributed much to the world as we know.

Because the biological purpose in life is to reproduce and maintain offspring. If people started to marry and not have children, the population would take a nosedive, and that is not what anybody wants. I have said ample times why it is one to four (man to woman) and not the other way around. You're simply going in circles and trying to bore me from continuing this debate.

Not at all; this has nothing to do with biology, but rather civil rights. You yourself said that polygyny up to four wives would be quite rare, so it's ridiculous for you to try to make the case now that polyandry - itself certain to be quite limited, given the property rights of women in sharia - would have some huge demographic impact that needs be avoided.

You're the one making the bold statements, so you should provide the link and point me to where you found this information out.

Factual statements, not bold ones.

At some point, Sawda succeeded in persuading the Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) not to divorce her. The Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) favored young Aisha over old Sawda, but the latter stopped him in the street and implored him to take her back. As an argument, she offered to give her turn of the Prophet Muhammad's conjugal visit (Allah bless him and give him peace) to Aisha. The incident is referenced in verse 4:127 of the Qur'an.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawda_bint_Zama

Looks like Mo had to be enticed to do the right thing with sex. That doesn't strike me as really enlightened regarding women's rights.

Can you give me the verse in the Qur'an that orders death for apostates?

It's in the hadiths of al-Buhkari and al-Muslim and al-Daoud. You can call it irrelevant if you want. Unfortunately, it's in all four major islamic schools of jurisprudence. Only Hanafi is less strict in dealing with apostates: they allow a period of consideration before condemning the apostate to death.

Funny, because throughout this debate, you haven't convinced me at all; rather, you've strengthened my faith.

That's because faith is an irrational prospect. It isn't changeable through rational debate. By contrast, you have reaffirmed the conclusion to date about how criticism of islam is received by muslims. Possibly all people of faith, but one religion at a time.

I have not sensed any intelligent discussion from you - only debating in circles and word play.

You haven't "sensed" it because you're not capable of reasonably appreciating criticism of islam. You may not be overly concerned with non-muslims or women who have to live under the oppression of political islam, but they too have rights which should be respected. Calling my concerns "word play" is not really helping your position and plays right into the hands of those that consider islam intolerant and violent.

Oh, and are you implying that YOU yourself are blessed? Well then, what blessed you? A God?

Nature. Inherent talent. Does it matter?

The slaves which the Muslims had were picked up from the aftermath of war. If you leave the civilians to themselves, there is a chance (a good chance) they'll want vengeance and revenge and continue to war further, possibly causing you deaths. If you want to completely nullify the problem, you would have to kill all of the remaining people, which is pretty barbaric. They kept them to work for them (paying/feeding/clothing them, not hurting them) until their status as threatening was dismissed, and then released them into their society and helped them out. That seems perfectly normal to me. Slaves weren't slaves for life, you know.

OK, well then I repeat my question earlier: is it then okay to do the same to muslims who have been conquered in war? If there exists widespread sentiments of hostility in the islamic community - some of which clearly translates into the want for sharia, or jihad, or terrorism - is it then okay for them to be enslaved, - as you put it - "for a little bit"? Does this seem fair to you?

May I ask...:)

What do muslim women themselves feel about being dressed up like black tents? Isnt it bloody hot in there? Wouldnt you rather be free to feel the sun on your skin?

If you know perfectly well that this practise is not supported by the Koran, why bother?

Whenever we hear muslim opinions in the media...its always men speaking.

Look, no one is saying there should be no islam or whatever - merely that it needs to address some fundamental issues of tolerance and equality, and decide how it wants to interpret its religious texts.

Not at all; this has nothing to do with biology, but rather civil rights. You yourself said that polygyny up to four wives would be quite rare, so it's ridiculous for you to try to make the case now that polyandry - itself certain to be quite limited, given the property rights of women in sharia - would have some huge demographic impact that needs be avoided.

If Muslims can't have children until they're married, then why do you propose they marry? Biologically and religiously, one of the purposes you serve is to reproduce. Invalidating one's ability to do so, especially after marrying, seems a waste.

Looks like Mo had to be enticed to do the right thing with sex. That doesn't strike me as really enlightened regarding women's rights.

"When she was older, the prophet was worried that Sawda might be upset about having to compete with so many younger wives, and offered to divorce her. She said that she would give her night to Aisha, of whom she was very fond, because she only wanted to be his wife on the Day of Rising. She lived on until the end of the time of Umar ibn al Khattab. She and Aisha always remained very close."

It's in the hadiths of al-Buhkari and al-Muslim and al-Daoud. You can call it irrelevant if you want. Unfortunately, it's in all four major islamic schools of jurisprudence. Only Hanafi is less strict in dealing with apostates: they allow a period of consideration before condemning the apostate to death.

So, I take it there's no verse in the Qur'an which orders the death for apostates? If Allah thought this was how apostates should be dealt with, why did He omit it?

You haven't "sensed" it because you're not capable of reasonably appreciating criticism of islam. You may not be overly concerned with non-muslims or women who have to live under the oppression of political islam, but they too have rights which should be respected. Calling my concerns "word play" is not really helping your position and plays right into the hands of those that consider islam intolerant and violent.

See, that's my point. Politically Islamic nations are not to be seen as nations that follow the true word of God. A lot of Muslim nations are horribly run; a lot do things which contradict the Qur'an; hell, more often than not, I find myself shaking my head at the decisions of these kings/dictators. I'm a pretty open-minded guy, which is why I don't support these nations just because they claim themselves Muslim. I do, however, realize that these people are poor reflections of Islam, and are under no right to be used as justifications for assaults on Islam. Criticism or concerns of a religion should be constructed from the religion itself - not by the absurd decisions of a few that follow it.

OK, well then I repeat my question earlier: is it then okay to do the same to muslims who have been conquered in war? If there exists widespread sentiments of hostility in the islamic community - some of which clearly translates into the want for sharia, or jihad, or terrorism - is it then okay for them to be enslaved, - as you put it - "for a little bit"? Does this seem fair to you?

Hey, if a non-Muslim army/nation/etc defeats a Muslim nation, then I could only HOPE they did this to us. If we lose the war, there are consequences we must face. Raiding my city/raping my women/killing our children is our biggest concern; working for the victorious army and then being freed and given social equality afterwards seems great, considering you could have been ruthlessly slaughtered instead.

---
About the Ottomans and slavery, you are really missing the point. The Ottomans, like said, did not practice slavery or trade them. Second of all, slavery is completely different from their perspective than from yours. Slaves, if cooperative and hard working, could be released and had limitless power in society after being freed. They were never abused, and received enough pay to support their families. The slave owners had to treat the slaves with the material resources he treated himself with, meaning there wouldn’t be slaves half-naked desperate for medical attention. They were all looked after fairly, and could be released upon good work done to their owner

The only slaves that had much freedom as you state within islamic society, where the warrior classes enslaved, converted & trained as warriors for their sultan or emir, see below:

Janissaries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary
Sultan Murad I of the fledgling Ottoman Empire founded the units around 1365. It was initially formed of Dhimmi (non-Muslims, originally exempted from the military service), especially Christian youths and prisoners-of-war, reminiscent of Mamelukes. Sultan Murad may have also used futuwa groups as a model.

The first Janissary units comprised war captives and slaves, selecting one in five for enrollment in the ranks (Pencik rule). After the 1380s Sultan Mehmet I filled their ranks with the results of taxation in human form called devshirmeh: the Sultan’s men conscripted a number of non-Muslim, usually Christian Balkan boys, taken at birth at first at random, later, by strict selection – to be trained. Initially they favoured Greeks, Albanians (who also supplied many gendarmes), and Bulgarians, usually selecting about one boy from forty houses, but the numbers could be changed to correspond with the need for soldiers. Boys aged 14-18 were preferred, though ages 8-20 could be taken. Greeks formed a large part of the Janissary units. Next the devshirmeh was extended to also include Bosnians, Serbs, Croats and other Balkan countries, later especially Ukraine and southern Russia. The Janissaries started accepting enrollment from outside the devshirmeh system first during the reign of Sultan Murad III (1546-1595) and completely stopped enrolling devshirmeh in 17th century. After this period, volunteers were enrolled, mostly of Muslim origin.[3]

Mamlukes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamelukes
A mamluk (Arabic: مملوك (singular), مماليك (plural), "owned"; also transliterated mameluk, mameluke, or mamluke) was a slave soldier who was converted to Islam and served the Muslim caliphs and the Ayyubid sultans during the Middle Ages. Over time they became a powerful military caste, and on more than one occasion they seized power for themselves, for example, ruling Egypt in the Mamluk Sultanate from 1250-1517.

The first mamluks served the Abbasid caliphs in 9th century Baghdad. The Abbasids recruited them mainly from areas near the Caucasus (mainly Circassian and Georgian) and in areas north of the Black Sea (mainly Turkic, most of whom were Kipchak Turks). Most of the captured were of non-Muslim origin. The mamluks were often sold into slavery by impoverished steppe families or kidnapped by slave-traders.
The mamluk system gave rulers troops who had no link to any established power structure. The local warriors were often more loyal to their tribal sheiks, their families or nobles other than the sultan or caliph. If some commander conspired against the ruler, it was often not possible to deal with him without causing unrest among the nobility. The slave-troops were strangers of the lowest possible status who could not conspire against the ruler and who could easily be punished if they caused trouble, making them a great military asset. Mamluks were frequently used as mercenaries.
the only ones that practiced what you called "slavery" were the jews or Europeans, they were called bond-servants or debtors-prisoners.
I think you need a more thorough understanding of history, than the sugar-coated one you are giving us, because if you believe that which you just said about "just" slavery, I'm sure you would gladly be a slave, now wouldn't you?

slavery was also a way that early muslims got concubines for their harems, see Mohammad as an example

I don't think its moral or just to take a wife from the conquered, after you just killed their husbands, its like conquering them every night, more like torture, an evil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if a non-Muslim army/nation/etc defeats a Muslim nation, then I could only HOPE they did this to us. If we lose the war, there are consequences we must face. Raiding my city/raping my women/killing our children is our biggest concern; working for the victorious army and then being freed and given social equality afterwards seems great, considering you could have been ruthlessly slaughtered instead.
I'll remind General Patraeus, that his troops have your blessing, funny thing, the US Army don't seem to think so, they arrested that kid & his buddies for just that last year

also, doesn't help women very much that they are fair game

Is 3 + 1 equal to 2 + 2?
Yes.
Is 3 + 1 the SAME as 2 + 2?
No. But they are equal. Just like these numbers, men and women are equal, but it is different advantages one gets over the other to make them ultimately equal. Nobody said they were the same.
I think the math analogy is not appropriate. Don’t get me wrong, in the West women do not have equal rights as men either – for example men can go topless whereas women can not go topless. It’s easy for me to see this. I would not use you math analogy and try to redefine equal. I would acknowledge that men and women are not treated equally under the law and accept that is the case.

You're recycling this same horrible argument. What may be enlightening for one person isn't enlightening to the other. I find it pointless to post anything from the Qur'an because it's obvious you won't see it through the same eyes as me. On topic, have you ever read the Qur'an?
I own a Qur’an but I’ve only read sections.

As for the “enlightening” topic. I do not need to be enlightened to appreciate something which was found enlightening. For example, I have tried to perform Zen meditation. I can not do it. I suppose to do so I would need to devote some serious time to it and who know maybe someday I will. That said, I appreciate when people say Zen meditation brings peace to them they never found in life. Actually, one very close friend of mine says when he was young he was always angry and got in fights all the time and never had any peace of mind. He met another ex-Muslim who convinced him Zen meditation would help him and is now a very happy Atheist who does meditation often. Here is something he found out. Eating meat makes reaching Zen nearly impossible. Thus many monks are vegetarians. Further, purposely causing harm makes reaching Zen difficult. Thus peace is a better frame of mind to be in if Zen is a goal. Lastly, from my own reading, old Zen monks have larger hippocampal volume (a part of the brain involved in happiness) and this is probably because they exercise this part of the brain when they meditate. So, to me, the enlightening part is that meditation increases the number of neurons in the limbic system (a known area of neuron birth) and thus can lead to an increase happiness. That happiness can be related to this physical event is in my mind enlightening. It's also the reason why Prozac works - it does something similar to mediation. I can appreciate what monks wrote down regarding meditation and happiness even though I can not do meditation.

Are there any Muslims starting riots to pressure these nations into allowing polygamy? If the Muslims respect your traditions for one man and one woman, can't you respect theirs?
I more than accept Muslim polygamy and have no desire that Muslims change to become monogamists.

No, and I don't want to argue why. If you want to start a thread about homosexuality, then I'd be sure to debate it. However, for this thread, I'm not going to talk about it.
Perhaps I will or someone else will. But, I had taken that your argument was that polygamy should be respected because we should respect other peoples choice if their choice is not harming us. By not accepting homosexuality you are at odds with this position. Either we accept people can make their own choice and if that choice doesn't harm thing then it’s fine for them to make it or we don’t accept that position. As you don’t accept that – such an argument wasn’t your real position. Your real position must be that the Qur’an says this and thus it is this. To me that’s a sad place to put oneself.

[I swear Sam said that homosexuality is not against Islamic practice.]

My definition, no "Muslim" can be homosexual. If they are homosexual and practice it normally, they have lost their place under Islam. So, because of this, your scenario would never unfold.
Sam’s definition of Islam is more open minded and broader than your’s. Just believe Mohammad was a Prophet and there is only one God. Basically even Baha’i are Muslims. Gays are Muslims etc…

What is your definition of the word “Islam”?

Do you think that the USA should take Iraqi’s as slaves? Can you imagine what it would take to turn people who hate you into your servants? What would USA families who want to own Iraq slaves have to do to those people to break their will and turn them into slaves?

On this point we will have to disagree. Slavery in my opinion is evil. Common sense will tell you that what is required to break a person and turn them into a slave is heinous.

Anyway, it seems in my mind that the notion of institutionalizing Slavery almost precludes conquering other people. Any person who had forethought enough to think about Slavery in such a manner must have been contemplating conquering other people. Or so it would seem top me?

Back on topic:
Do you think that the Islamic countries like Afghanistan, KSA, Iran and Pakistan are fair or unfair in the legal treatment of women? Why?

I once asked my Iranian buddy what Iran would be like if it were Xian. (He's not Xian he's atheist) and he said it would be a lot better - probably just like any European country. In his mind having an Islamic government has ruined his country. I wonder if that's true? Would Iran be just like France if it were Xian? Interesting notion.

Michael

Two other questions:
1) Do you think that Xian’s, Hindu, Buddhists and Jews should be allowed to build places of worship in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Lets suppose they bought some land and wanted to build a Temple – should that be legal?

2) Do you think that the wars against the Persians in the 637–51 (when they were conquered by Muslims) were just? Can wars of aggression ever be just?

I think the math analogy is not appropriate. Don’t get me wrong, in the West women do not have equal rights as men either – for example men can go topless whereas women can not go topless. It’s easy for me to see this. I would not use you math analogy and try to redefine equal. I would acknowledge that men and women are not treated equally under the law and accept that is the case.

The analogy is completely appropriate, and done so by mathematics (something that's rather difficult to argue). There are two ways of getting equal, but those two ways are not the same. Men and women are to be treated equal, but there are different advantages one has over the other that makes them that way.

I own a Qur’an but I’ve only read sections.

For my sake, just try reading the entire book with an open mind. If you read only sections, then you can't read it by context.

As for the “enlightening” topic. I do not need to be enlightened to appreciate something which was found enlightening. For example, I have tried to perform Zen meditation. I can not do it. I suppose to do so I would need to devote some serious time to it and who know maybe someday I will. That said, I appreciate when people say Zen meditation brings peace to them they never found in life. Actually, one very close friend of mine says when he was young he was always angry and got in fights all the time and never had any peace of mind. He met another ex-Muslim who convinced him Zen meditation would help him and is now a very happy Atheist who does meditation often. Here is something he found out. Eating meat makes reaching Zen nearly impossible. Thus many monks are vegetarians. Further, purposely causing harm makes reaching Zen difficult. Thus peace is a better frame of mind to be in if Zen is a goal. Lastly, from my own reading, old Zen monks have larger hippocampal volume (a part of the brain involved in happiness) and this is probably because they exercise this part of the brain when they meditate. So, to me, the enlightening part is that meditation increases the number of neurons in the limbic system (a known area of neuron birth) and thus can lead to an increase happiness. That happiness can be related to this physical event is in my mind enlightening. It's also the reason why Prozac works - it does something similar to mediation. I can appreciate what monks wrote down regarding meditation and happiness even though I can not do meditation.

Wow, thanks for the Zen meditation information. I kind of lost track of how this related to women in Islam. Oh well, I'll take you word for it.

I more than accept Muslim polygamy and have no desire that Muslims change to become monogamists.

So why are you constantly bringing up the issue? If you truly accept polygamy in Islam, is it safe to say that this section of the debate is closed?

Perhaps I will or someone else will. But, I had taken that your argument was that polygamy should be respected because we should respect other peoples choice if their choice is not harming us. By not accepting homosexuality you are at odds with this position. Either we accept people can make their own choice and if that choice doesn't harm thing then it’s fine for them to make it or we don’t accept that position. As you don’t accept that – such an argument wasn’t your real position. Your real position must be that the Qur’an says this and thus it is this. To me that’s a sad place to put oneself

By Islamic law, you cannot allow something just because it is someone's choice. People do make their own choices and decisions in life, and a lot of the times, they're wrong. What if my choice was to kill everybody who disagreed with me? What if I hated my life and chose to end it? These are poorly informed choices and shouldn't be allowed just because I formed them. There are rules and laws that are in place for a reason. Homosexuality, for instance, could be outlawed for a number of reasons.

Maybe because STDs/AIDS for homosexuals is much greater?

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/resources/factsheets/msm.htm

Maybe because if everybody was allowed to do it, the population would stifle?

Who knows? All are legitimate arguments, and all favor disallowing homosexual practice.

I swear Sam said that homosexuality is not against Islamic practice.]

Ask her.

Sam’s definition of Islam is more open minded and broader than your’s. Just believe Mohammad was a Prophet and there is only one God. Basically even Baha’i are Muslims. Gays are Muslims etc…

I never thought I'd hear that, considering I was born, raised, and live in a Western nation. If you asked Sam, I'm pretty sure she as well believes Muhammad was a prophet and there is only one God. Those are the primary principles of Islam, and will propably be recited most often. I don't see how you can say gays are Muslims. If a homosexual man says he's Muslim, he is not Muslim just because he says he is. If he was a Muslim, he would comply to Islam. Is an illegal Mexican alien an American? He can claim to be American, but he is there illegally; thus, he is not American.

What is your definition of the word “Islam”?

Do you think that the USA should take Iraqi’s as slaves? Can you imagine what it would take to turn people who hate you into your servants? What would USA families who want to own Iraq slaves have to do to those people to break their will and turn them into slaves?

I anticipated this argument from you. NO, I do not think the USA should take Iraqis for slaves BECAUSE the WAR ITSELF was completely UNJUSTIFIED. Want to debate the Iraqi war? I'm MORE THAN happy to. It was a completely unjustifiable war originated from falsehood and deception.

On this point we will have to disagree. Slavery in my opinion is evil. Common sense will tell you that what is required to break a person and turn them into a slave is heinous.

So what do you propose to do with the people left over after war? Leave them so they can possibly harm you, or kill them all so they can't?

Back on topic:
Do you think that the Islamic countries like Afghanistan, KSA, Iran and Pakistan are fair or unfair in the legal treatment of women? Why?

Well, I have never been to these nations, so I can't tell you first-hand how they treat women. From what I see, from what I hear, from what I read, I can tell you their treatment of women is wrong by any definition. There isn't a religion under the sun which would condone and encourage such actions. I find the hostile treatment towards women 'unfair' and 'illegal' because not only does it go against my religion, but innocent people are hurt in the process.

I once asked my Iranian buddy what Iran would be like if it were Xian. (He's not Xian he's atheist) and he said it would be a lot better - probably just like any European country. In his mind having an Islamic government has ruined his country. I wonder if that's true? Would Iran be just like France if it were Xian? Interesting notion.

You asked your 'Iranian buddy.' What about the other tens of millions of people that could disagree? I know two Iranian families that moved over to Vancouver, and they seriously thought communism was what Iran should be run by. Do you think Iran could be successful and prosperous under communism?

1) Do you think that Xian’s, Hindu, Buddhists and Jews should be allowed to build places of worship in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Lets suppose they bought some land and wanted to build a Temple – should that be legal?

No, I do not think these religions should build their shrines of worship on Muslim lands. No Muslim could build a Mosque in a region or area dominated by another religion, especially if it were constructed near a Hindu holy site. If these religions have their own land, then they should build it on their land only. However, any of these religions should be free to build a holy place of worship on a soil like, say, America, because America is a democracy. These things are legal here (even if mosques are usually vandalized).

2) Do you think that the wars against the Persians in the 637–51 (when they were conquered by Muslims) were just? Can wars of aggression ever be just?

This question is way too broad and is an overwhelming generalization. There were probably thousands of wars and skirmishes, so for me to say the whole ordeal was 'aggressive' or 'justified' is a bit outlandish.

Re: homosexuality.

I've studied this and there is no indication in the Quranic verses regarding homosexuality; the references to Sodom etc were, I believed adopted (like the hijab) from the Byzantine culture.

SAM, no Quranic verses regarding homosexuality?

http://www.galha.org/briefing/quran.html

I've already read those, and they refer to the specific instance of Lot, but its unclear if they are being punished for being wanton or inhospitable. There is no indication that it has anything to do with being gay.

Besides there are other verses like this:

42:49 "To Allah belongs the dominion over the heavens and the earth. It creates what It wills. It prepares for whom It wills females, and It prepares for whom It wills males. 50 Or It marries together the males and the females, and It makes those whom It wills to be ineffectual. Indeed It is the Knowing, the Powerful."
Arabic: "Lillahi mulku us-samaawaati wal'ardhi. Yakhluqu ma yashaa'u. Yahabu liman yashaa'u inaathan wa yahabu liman yashaa'u adh-dhukura. Aw yuzawwijuhum dhukraanan wa inaathan; wa yaj'alu man yashaa'u 'aqeeman: innahu 'Aleemun Qadeerun."

And the Quran never actually says that homosexuality is wrong, but it does say that wantonness is.

Homosexual activity by homosexuals (eunuchs) is not spoken of in the Qur'an, which mentions only the unjust homosexual rape perpetrated by straight men against other straight men. Besides the Lut story, sexual exploitation of straight males is also alluded to in the assurance that prophet Joseph's slaveholders "abstained from him" (12:20: "wa kaanuu feehi min az-zaahideen").

But the Qur'an and hadith also have traces of the permitted homosexual desires of straight men. There is even a hadith in Bukhari, admittedly giving not the Prophet's opinion but that of Abu Jafar, according to which a pedophile is prohibited from marrying the mother of his boy-beloved if there is penetration:

(Bukhari LXII, 25) As for whom(ever) plays with a boy: if he caused him to enter him, then he shall not marry his mother.
Arabic: feeman yal'abu bis-sabiyy: in 'adkhalahu feehi falaa yatazawwajanna 'ummahu.

Besides, as Muslims it is not up to us to judge anyone in this manner. The Quran constantly admonishes the Prophet that he is only the messenger.

The Quran utilizes "the double negative" to emphasize that the prophet had NO duty EXCEPT delivering the Quran.

"You have NO duty EXCEPT DELIVERING the message." 42:48

"Your ONLY duty is delivering, we will call them to account." 13:40

"The messenger has NO function EXCEPT delivery of the message." 5:99

"We have sent down to you a scripture containing YOUR MESSAGE. Do you not understand?" 21:10

Do you believe we have more rights than the Prophet? :)

Kullu shai min Allah wa kullu shai in yarjuhu ila aslihi. Sah?

Last edited:
Back