What do atheists think that "to know God" means?

If you think that's what FSM is about, you're nuts. FSM is a silly way to illustrate an important point, that there are an infinite number of things one cannot prove. It's a response to those apologists who dare us to prove that God doesn't exist.
You are mistaken.

You are talking about the celestial teapot

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970) to illustrate the idea that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others, specifically in the case of religion.

Not the FSM

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the deity of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafarianism, a parody religion.

... although one could certainly discuss how both constructs of parody define god or religion in a particular fashion unique to atheists

FSM is another version of the teapot!!!!!!!!!!!

From your own link:
Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them.

lightgigantic

So you are not going to say anything about the racist crap you posted? No, "My bad", no "Oops." No recognition at all? Are you willing to accept the picture that we have of you based on such a blatantly racist post? Is it more important to you to never admit any errors in judgement rather than try to correct your error?

Grumpy:cool:

lightgigantic

So you are not going to say anything about the racist crap you posted? No, "My bad", no "Oops." No recognition at all? Are you willing to accept the picture that we have of you based on such a blatantly racist post? Is it more important to you to never admit any errors in judgement rather than try to correct your error?

Have you noticed that this is a multicultural, multinational, multireligious forum?

@wynn --

It promotes a message which obviously fits the definition of racist, therefore it is racist. QED.

Yazata said:
I think that Wynn was just suggesting that if some of the atheists are going to speak with such seeming assurance about "God", "reality" and "existence", some kind of underlying theory that justifies that assurance is implied.

Is a theory enough, or is evidence also required? And if evidence is required, where does that leave the theists with their underlying theory?

Is a theory enough? Well, people are initially going to need to mean roughly the same things when they use the same terms. That seems to have been what Wynn was getting at in this thread. If we are going to proceed to talk about evidence, then we will need to agree on what kind of questions we are asking, have some idea about what kind of evidence is even relevant to the truth or falsity of the propositions in question, and so on.

Regarding the theists, sure, the same considerations apply to them too. Perhaps even more so. That's why I led off my reply to Wynn's original post (it was post #2 in this thread) with saying that my initial questions upon hearing theist pronouncements about "God" is to wonder what the word 'God' means when they say it, whether anything in reality corresponds to that usage of the word, how human beings could ever know the answer to that, and so on.

Yazata said:
The thing is, our atheists have been insisting that atheism is simply the absence of belief in God. They insist that atheism doesn't imply any other views in addition to that.

JamesR said:
And they're right.

If that was true, then shouldn't atheists just say "I don't personally believe in God" and leave it at that? Even then, that minimalist view would still be kind of meaningless to other people, unless these atheists provided some additional account of what the word 'God' means to them.

But typically, atheists can't just leave it there.

And going on the attack means that the atheists have to come out from under their protective 'I just personally lack belief' rock and express some additional new ideas about what theists believe, about what kind of beliefs are best for people to hold, about why that is, and so on.

I don't think that anybody who makes propositional statements about anything other than their own subjective states, and expects those statements to be persuasive to other people, can turn around and claim immunity from having to explain, justify and defend their views. If somebody tries that, they lose the opportunity to convince people who don't already agree with them.

That's the thing, both theists and atheists often seem to me to be playing very similar games.

It's nice that both atheists and theists have their own subjective beliefs or absence of beliefs about 'God'. But the mere fact that a person possesses subjective feelings about something doesn't make their opinions about what other people believe and about what those people should believe persuasive to anyone but themselves.

You're right. Atheists do hold such views, in the same way that theists do. But views on these things do not automatically follow from atheism. In fact, some of them may be logically prior to atheism.

There's apparently a subjective component - the atheist's personal lack of belief and the theist's personal faith. And then there's what appears to be a more objective component as well - their views, statements and arguments about what other people believe and about what they should believe. Virtually all the battling back and forth between theists and atheists concerns the additional intersubjective content. Absent that, both of them would just possess their own respective opinions, smile, and remain silent and unconcerned about what other people may or may not believe.

lightgigantic

If you didn't mean to insult me, why didn't you address the post that it appears in?

I have no need, evidently, to insult you. Your own behavior defines you. You smear feces all over the room and then demand I comment on the wallpaper? Believe me, you don't want to know what I think of you right now and I really don't want to climb down into the slime you inhabit to tell you, but if you think you can just continue the conversation by ignoring the big pile of poo you dumped on the table you need educating.

@wynn --

It promotes a message which obviously fits the definition of racist, therefore it is racist. QED.

Again, that is just your perspective.

Or are we to believe that everything that comes out of your mouth (or from under your fingers) is the objective truth, the whole objective truth, and nothing but the objective truth?

wynn

Have you noticed that this is a multicultural, multinational, multireligious forum?

All are things racists are known to be violently against, often in the past decorating trees with strange fruit or leaving them entangled in barbed wire fences to die of exposure, always oppressing either covertly or overtly. We would be none of those things if the racists had their way. If you want to see what racism does if it is not actively opposed you need look no further than the horror at Auschwitz or Birkenau. Or, if your looking for the results in this country...

The date was June 1, 1921, when "Black Wall Street," the name fittingly given to one of the most affluent all-Black communities in America, was bombed from the air and burned to the ground by mobs of envious whites. In a period spanning fewer than 12 hours, a once thriving 36-Black business district in northern Tulsa lay smoldering--a model community destroyed, and a major African-American economic movement resoundingly defused.

The night's carnage left some 3,000 African Americans dead, and over 600 successful businesses lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half dozen private airplanes and even a bus system. As could have been expected the impetus behind it all was the infamous Ku Klux Klan, working in consort with ranking city officials, and many other sympathizers.

http://www.blackwallstreet.freeservers.com/The Story.htm

or Rosewood in Florida.

http://www.displaysforschools.com/history.html

All of these things because our society allowed racists to exist within it throughout the world at that time.

Never again.

Last edited:
FSM is another version of the teapot!!!!!!!!!!!

From your own link:
Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them.
sure
they are nuanced in the same manner

But the FSM goes the extra mile in adopting all the trappings of religion (for the sake of parody of course). This is what distinguishes it from the celestial teapot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dog_Tag_Atheist_FSM.jpg

Last edited:
lightgigantic

So you are not going to say anything about the the post it appeared in? No, "My bad", no "Oops." No recognition at all?
Are you willing to accept the picture that we have of you based on such a blatantly racist post?

Given that you have such dire problems with context, I guess you also have similar problems with this website, the one I pulled the image from.

I guess in your books they must be more racist than me since they are posting several different images that are all racist

Is it more important to you to never admit any errors in judgement rather than try to correct your error?
will the irony never end?

Hence the racists offer their unique definition of evolution (for the sake of parody - even though one would hazard to guess that they really don't think evolution functions like that)

:shrug:

Last edited:
lightgigantic

I have no need, evidently, to insult you. Your own behavior defines you. You smear feces all over the room and then demand I comment on the wallpaper? Believe me, you don't want to know what I think of you right now and I really don't want to climb down into the slime you inhabit to tell you, but if you think you can just continue the conversation by ignoring the big pile of poo you dumped on the table you need educating.

lol
evidently, you do.

Yazata

Is a theory enough? Well, people are initially going to need to mean roughly the same things when they use the same terms. That seems to have been what Wynn was getting at in this thread. If we are going to proceed to talk about evidence, then we will need to agree on what kind of questions we are asking, have some idea about what kind of evidence is even relevant to the truth or falsity of the propositions in question, and so on.

Regarding the theists, sure, the same considerations apply to them too. Perhaps even more so. That's why I led off my reply to Wynn's original post (it was post #2 in this thread) with saying that my initial questions upon hearing theist pronouncements about "God" is to wonder what the word 'God' means when they say it, whether anything in reality corresponds to that usage of the word, how human beings could ever know the answer to that, and so on.

Which is still what everybody here has been saying that until and unless the theist who is asking the question must specify which god and what is meant by knowing. We don't seem to be able to get any good answers to that.

If that was true, then shouldn't atheists just say "I don't personally believe in God" and leave it at that?

It is true, but the question was not "Do you believe in god?", it was "What do atheists think "to know god" means?". "I don't personnally believe in god." is not an answer to that question. And it requires additional information to give a good answer. "If it is Spinoza's god it means to know the Universe." is a good answer if it is Spinoza's god that is in question, but I don't think it is Spinoza's god the questioner had in mind(and I have no real idea what specific idea of god they did have in mind).

Even then, that minimalist view would still be kind of meaningless to other people, unless these atheists provided some additional account of what the word 'God' means to them.

God is a meaningless word to an atheist as it pertains to reality. It designates a whole class of ficticious concepts theists accept as real. It is a cognitive fault atheists do not have(IE belief in non-evident things)at least on this one point. And an atheist is not responsible for defining whatever god concept a particular theist means by the word when the atheist is asked what he thinks about it. Hence the "Which god?" and "What do you mean by "know?"" responses.

And going on the attack means that the atheists have to come out from under their protective 'I just personally lack belief' rock and express some additional new ideas about what theists believe, about what kind of beliefs are best for people to hold, about why that is, and so on.

That would be constructing a strawman, not a tactic I think is valid. I prefer to give the theist the opportunity to define their own god concepts. Though I am very familiar with many god concepts held by theists, I have none of my own that I am promoting, thus no strawman accusations from theists(no valid ones, anyway).

I don't think that anybody who makes propositional statements about anything other than their own subjective states, and expects those statements to be persuasive to other people, can turn around and claim immunity from having to explain, justify and defend their views.

If I make such propositional statements I explain them. But I do not try to make such statements about vague references to "god" or "knowing" unless I specify exactly the concept of god I am talking about(Spinoza, above, for one). I am, however, immune to being required to respond to vague, amorphous concepts of god designated only as the word "god" and immune from having to explain, justify or defend anything about it. If a theist wants my opinion about god, they must define just what the heck they are talking about first.

It's nice that both atheists and theists have their own subjective beliefs or absence of beliefs about 'God'. But the mere fact that a person possesses subjective feelings about something doesn't make their opinions about what other people believe and about what those people should believe persuasive to anyone but themselves.

Which is exactly why I refuse to build a strawman about what any theist calls god. Wish theists would do the same. And insisting that atheists know what the word "god" or "knowing" means or that being an atheist tells you more than an abscence of belief is an attempt to stuff straw in old clothes.

There's apparently a subjective component - the atheist's personal lack of belief and the theist's personal faith. And then there's what appears to be a more objective component as well - their views, statements and arguments about what other people believe and about what they should believe. Virtually all the battling back and forth between theists and atheists concerns the additional intersubjective content. Absent that, both of them would just possess their own respective opinions, smile, and remain silent and unconcerned about what other people may or may not believe.

This thread has been filled mainly by attempts to get answers to the question "Which gods?" and "What do you mean by know". It hasn't really got past that(discounting the strawmen about what being atheist means)because the theists refuse to define those two questions. No further content has been forthcoming(exept as applies to Spinoza, that is).

lightgigantic

Given that you have such dire problems with context, I guess you also have similar problems with this website, the one I pulled the image from.

Do you know what context means? In the context of this thread your post was injecting racism where it did not belong. Can you point out where in this thread racism raised it's ugly head as a topic until you posted that cartoon? We now have the question of why you went looking for a racist cartoon to post in the first place. Sans a reason or admission that it was inappropriate we are left with the the fact that you posted a racist cartoon in an entirely inappropriate place and injected racism where it had not previously been a topic. And we all know what kind of people do those sort of things, don't we? Here's your sign. You own it until you disown it.

In a context where racism is being discussed, posting such cartoons as illustration is appropriate. It would be aproppriate if we had been discussing racism in this thread, it is racism if inserted in places where it is inaproppriate(like in a thread discussing what atheists think "knowing god" means).

lightgigantic
...post was injecting racism where it did not belong. Can you point out where in this thread racism raised it's ugly head as a topic until you posted that cartoon?.

In a context where racism is being discussed, posting such cartoons as illustration is appropriate. It would be aproppriate if we had been discussing racism in this thread, it is racism if inserted in places where it is inaproppriate(like in a thread discussing what atheists think "knowing god" means).
Regardless of your personal preferences, uttering racial slurs is as bad as uttering religious slurs.

In this post, we have had no trouble saying highly derisive things about the intelligence and sanity of anyone who believes in God of any sort.

That is why LG's contribution is not inappropriate. He's drawing an analogy.

We kicked open that door. And if anyone doesn't like it, they should seriously consider what they are doing in a discussion wherein people are tearing people a new one based on any one of race, creed, color, religion or sex.

Back