what defines marriage?

a contract between a man and woman signaling the establishment of a family.

is this a legal contract, or is this when they have sex?

gays living together don't register as married to me. no family potential per se.

bfs and gfs aren't married, no contract.

how does birth control factor in to the equation?

:scratchin:
i thought of that actually..just hoped nobody else will:D

i don't know, can't quite put my finger on it.

that's news to me...

i'm planning to become a foster parent myself. there are a lot of unwanted and uncared for children that are the result of heterosexual marriages that could use some stability and love.

yes i agree, but what determines the couple amongst other friends? what is the commitment, and where does it begin, and where does it end, if it ends?

In neither friendship nor marriage do people aim for a commitment that ends. And sex is not necessarily exclusive to marriage either. So I would say marriage is like a legal commitment to a long term friendship, where there [usually] is a commitment to an exclusive sexual relationship between partners and possibly for the purpose of establishing a family.

gays living together don't register as married to me. no family potential per se.
The ability to reproduce has never been a factor of allowing marriage; otherwise, sterile individuals would not be allowed to marry. There is, in fact, considerable legal president for this in US Law.

on a social level, i think it has more to do with obligations...financial, and towards children.
Agreed. I was mentally including that in the "benefit for society" category.

like what, making money? i disagree that our priorities and conditioning as a society are improving much of anything. even if you want to argue money, how much is wasted on divorce proceedings?
Money would only be included if making money somehow benefited the society. On a more obvious level, spending time doing things like defending the "village" (culture, tribe, state, nation), farming/food gathering, shelter building/maintenance, infrastructure improvements, helping to raise existing children. Anything which help promote the survival of the society.

Last edited:
Marriage is a secular, legal contract. Religious aspects are not, strictly speaking, necessary.
It's not the ceremony that makes you a married couple; it's that signature on the marriage license.

Now, adding sacramental or religious aspects to it is fine. But that's a personal/family matter, or at most community thing. It's not what makes marriage a marriage.

:scratchin:
i thought of that actually..just hoped nobody else will:D

Lots of people have thought of this, sorry Charlie. :)

i don't know, can't quite put my finger on it.

So you're not sure if you would make an exception for a man and woman
who have no desire to have children? Why or why not?

that's news to me...

Well, for starters there is adoption, artificial insemination, children from previous marriages etc... there's more than one way

what if there was no one else around to make an announcement to?

Well there is God and a Host of Angels that would be listening. So it would be witnessed probably by Billions of individuals. :D

If i was in isolation with my girl i would simply make my announcement as a prayer.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I'd say Compromise, Commitment and Caring. If you have these three, the respect, loyalty and trust will come and all of them together constitute love.

The most important thing is ones ability to forgive the other persons faults.

If people are forgiving and prepared to accept that their spouse has some faults then a relationship will last.

If i was to marry a woman the most important question i would need to ask myself would be this:

Would i be happy to have this woman as the mother of my children?

If i looked upon a woman and thought that she would be loving, caring and affectionate towards my Children then i would see her as being a noble woman, whom i would admire.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

The ability to reproduce has never been a factor of allowing marriage; otherwise, sterile individuals would not be allowed to marry. There is, in fact, considerable legal president for this in US Law.

Agreed. I was mentally including that in the "benefit for society" category.

Money would only be included if making money somehow benefited the society. On a more obvious level, spending time doing things like defending the "village" (culture, tribe, state, nation), farming/food gathering, shelter building/maintenance, infrastructure improvements, helping to raise existing children. Anything which help promote the survival of the society.

i agree with you.

when i read your initial post, i couldn't help but think of the ways in which lust and greed have negatively affected our families, marriages, and society.

my husband was just reading over my shoulder and he says that the wasn't thinking about benefits to society when he married me. he was thinking of a more personal benefit, and perhaps that benefits society as a whole collectively.

well there is god and a host of angels that would be listening. So it would be witnessed probably by billions of individuals. :d

if i was in isolation with my girl i would simply make my announcement as a prayer.

All praise the ancient of days

oh yeah!

Marriage is a secular, legal contract. Religious aspects are not, strictly speaking, necessary.
It's not the ceremony that makes you a married couple; it's that signature on the marriage license.

Now, adding sacramental or religious aspects to it is fine. But that's a personal/family matter, or at most community thing. It's not what makes marriage a marriage.

what do you think then of the common law marriage?

In neither friendship nor marriage do people aim for a commitment that ends. And sex is not necessarily exclusive to marriage either. So I would say marriage is like a legal commitment to a long term friendship, where there [usually] is a commitment to an exclusive sexual relationship between partners and possibly for the purpose of establishing a family.

from an idealistic and/or religious perspective, what do you think about extramarital sex, and the need for a legal contract to designate amongst friends?

first part...when my rjr6 and i first had sexual intercourse, i considered myself to be his wife. i was committed to him and the relationship in that way.

Bullshit. You had sex out of wedlock, hence have sinned against your god and will spend an eternity in hell.

second part...then we had a religious christian wedding ceremony on a beach in mexico.

Your wedding is blasphemous in the eyes of your god as you have already committed a heinous sin.

i am a christian, and i love hearing god's word.

He will love tossing you into an inferno to burn.

third part...the wedding in mexico wasn't legal, so when we returned home, we also had a ceremony at the courthouse.

You have compounded your sins by being fraudulent and disrespectful to your god. May he have mercy on your evil soul, but I doubt it. :D

Bullshit. You had sex out of wedlock, hence have sinned against your god and will spend an eternity in hell.

Your wedding is blasphemous in the eyes of your god as you have already committed a heinous sin.

He will love tossing you into an inferno to burn.

You have compounded your sins by being fraudulent and disrespectful to your god. May he have mercy on your evil soul, but I doubt it. :D

i considered wedlock to be intercourse. apparently you consider marriage to be either a religious institution signified by a ceremony with vows, or a legal contract administered under law. you claim to be an atheist, so i assume you equate marriage to a secular legal contract, like a copyright or a bankruptcy?

Informal legal status. Recognised by law in some jurisdictions, so I suppose it's equal to a contract marriage.

i think it's kind of odd that a state would assign a contract, or imply a contract, to a couple when an express contract is available, but the couple decided not to enter into it.

it's almost as if the state is claiming that marriage is more than a secular contract.

Back