What caused you to turn away from your faith?

Originally Posted by Adstar
What where the questions they could not answer?
All Praise The Ancient of Days
Things like the existence of refraction before the flood (when rainbows could not exist).
Why did God tell Samuel that Saul must utterly destroy the Amalekites hundreds of years after they attacked the Israelites fleeing from Egypt (Deuteronomy 25:17-19, 1 Samuel 15). In that same story God repents twice for setting Saul up to be king because his men did not utterly destroy everything. They spared all that was good: "but every thing that was vial and refuse, that the destroyed utterly." So God commanded a genocide just to test Saul's loyalty?
Why does the church dismiss the Gnostic gospels as crack-pottery?
When the Earth shook upon Jesus's death it tore the vail that separated the average people from the holy of holies. This tearing of the vail signified that any person (Jewish or not) could enter the holy of holies and commune with God without the need of a mediator. If this is true then what makes a paster more qualified to interpret "God's word" than me? Didn't Jesus's death make it possible for God to speak directly to us (according to the Chritian faith) without the need of a paster?
In the book of Revelations, God judges the twelve churches by extinguishing their lampflames one by one. All will be condemned and yet people are still willing to die for the teachings of their church. If we are in the "end times" and the Bible says that every church will be judged aa being wrong then why do people still put their faith in them?
I could go on and on but in the end it would just lead to nowhere.

No Billy. An atheist makes no such statement. {as in post 58} ... Atheism means I just don't believe in anybody else's god(s).
My definition of an atheist is the standard one and functions even if everyone ceases to believe in God. Your definition is silly and non-functional in this case.

Do you define your other beliefs by what others believe or not also (instead of by what you yourself believe)?

Last edited by a moderator:
No Billy. An atheist makes no such statement. I don't believe in god, like I don't collect stamps. I do not deny the existence of stamps, or the existence of stamp collectors. Atheism means I just don't believe in anybody else's god(s).

Oh! I get it now. You know that god exists, like you don't deny the existence of stamps, but you choose to believe that there is no god. Interesting.

Why did God tell Samuel that Saul must utterly destroy the Amalekites hundreds of years after they attacked the Israelites fleeing from Egypt (Deuteronomy 25:17-19, 1 Samuel 15). In that same story God repents twice for setting Saul up to be king because his men did not utterly destroy everything. They spared all that was good: "but every thing that was vial and refuse, that the destroyed utterly." So God commanded a genocide just to test Saul's loyalty?

What's this got to do with the existence of otherwise of God? This indicates your disagreement with God based on your reading of the bible. Disagreeing with God is no basis for disbelief in the existence of God.

Why does the church dismiss the Gnostic gospels as crack-pottery?

Again What’s this got to do with the existence or otherwise of God? The "churches" can dismiss or accept anything they want. Each individual can accept or reject whatever righting they like. What the churches accept or reject does not prove or disprove the existence of God.

When the Earth shook upon Jesus's death it tore the vail that separated the average people from the holy of holies. This tearing of the vail signified that any person (Jewish or not) could enter the holy of holies and commune with God without the need of a mediator.

Where does it say this in the Bible? It never says this in the Bible. It is an interpretation of what the events meaning that you have heard from men. It could also signify the departure of the Spirit of God from the Holy of Holies and the breaking of the old covenant between God and the Jews, or it could signify something else entirely.

If this is true then what makes a paster more qualified to interpret "God's word" than me?

The Gospel says that the Holy Spirit guides those whom he dwells within it does not say that one needs a human paster. It is the Holy Spirit that interprets and we recieve that wisdom from Him? Here your putting forward arguments against a "church" doctrine. Not the Scripture. And once again it has nothing to do with the existence or otherwise of God.

Didn't Jesus's death make it possible for God to speak directly to us (according to the Chritian faith) without the need of a paster?

What?? Did not God talk to Jonah in the OT.. Yes and was Jonah a priest/paster? No.

Was Moses a paster or a priest when God talked to Him for the first time? No. I could bring up many more examples but there is no need.

So once again your bringing up a point on 'church" doctrine that has no basis in scripture anyway as a support for atheism. And even if we did require a paster to talk to God then it still would not be a point one could use to disprove the existence of God.

Things like the existence of refraction before the flood (when rainbows could not exist).

Genesis 9
12 And God said: “This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.

This is as far as i can see your only legitimate question that has any bearing on the existence of God or otherwise.

So i would like to know where in these scriptures does it say that Rainbows never happened before the flood? I can see no statement saying this. It seems that your assertion that it was the first rainbow must come from a tradition you have been told (from a "church") rather than what the scriptures actually say.

In the Scriptures above God is establishing the rainbow as a sign of His new covenant with His Creation on earth. It does not say that rainbows did not exist before this time. It is like saying that lambs did not exist before God established the covenant with the Jews where the sacrifice of a lamb was part of it. God did not create lambs at the time the covenant was created He only established the lamb as a sign of the coming Messiah Jesus.

In the book of Revelations, God judges the twelve churches by extinguishing their lampflames one by one.

I have read the Book of Revelation many times and nowhere in it is there any reference to extinguishing the churches Lamp flames one by one. The closest i comes to something similar was in scriptures relating to the first church mentioned:

Revelation 5
5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.

Here God gives warning of what He will do "unless" they repent. It is a warning. The scriptures do not say He did it.

So all i can assume is that once again you have heard a doctrine of a "church" and assumed it to be Biblical.

All will be condemned and yet people are still willing to die for the teachings of their church. If we are in the "end times" and the Bible says that every church will be judged aa being wrong then why do people still put their faith in them?

This is not about churches... This is about faith in God, His existence or otherwise. What does the legitimacy of the churches have to do with the existence of God?. Nothing.

I could go on and on but in the end it would just lead to nowhere.

If you believe God existence is based on the legitimacy of a church then i agree, it will lead to nowhere.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I didn't question religion until I started to seriously read scientific literature. I grew up a Southern Baptist and I can't count how many hours I spent at Sunday school and reading the Bible. Once I took an astronomy course at my local community college I was a changed man forever. From that point forward I've been obsessed with the origin of the universe and the evolutionary processes of life. I still believe proverbs is dead on, besides that everything else is rubbish.

Oh! I get it now. You know that god exists, like you don't deny the existence of stamps, but you choose to believe that there is no god. Interesting.

Er, no. It was an analogy of how I think about the subjects, not about the validity of the subjects themselves, and as an analogy, is 'like' the scenario I am making the analogy to, but not exactly the same.

You need to brush up on your grammar, bub, especially before you try being a smart Alec.

Last edited:
My definition of an atheist is the standard one and functions even if everyone ceases to believe in God.

Yours is not the standard one, at least, not amongst people who refer to themselves as atheists. My definition holds if everyone ceases to believe in god too, why would you think it wouldn't?

Your definition is silly and non-functional in this case.

How can a definition which describes my thoughts be 'silly and non-functional'? Just because you don't feel it describes your mental state doen't mean it's inaccurate elsewhere.

Do you define your other beliefs by what others believe or not also (instead of by what you yourself believe)?

No. You are clinging to the 'theist' part of 'atheist' too much. 'Atheist' is simply contextual, and has no meaning outside conversations on theology, whereas being a theist defines many aspects of the theists life, doesn't it?

the agnostic says that he does not know if God exists or not.
And so he does not belief.

The atheist does not have this doubt. He states that God does not exist.
Most atheists by far admit that, in theory, they cannot be a 100% certain. But they consider the likelihood of a god existing so astronomically small (see your example with unicorns) that it really becomes nonsensical to say you are agnostic instead of atheistic.
A real agnostic would be torn between belief and disbelief, holding that the probability of a god existing is about as probable as no god existing.

For example, I tend to think unicorns do not exist, but it is quite possible that on some distant planet in this vast universe unicorns are currently pulling plows for some farmer. It is nearly impossible outside of math, to prove the non-existence of anything (unicorns or God) so I am an agnostic.
No, that's atheism.

Long ago, when I was 20, I knew a lot.
You thought you knew a lot. That's what you're finding out now that you're older, that you didn't know certain things after all ;)

I didn't question religion until I started to seriously read scientific literature. I grew up a Southern Baptist and I can't count how many hours I spent at Sunday school and reading the Bible. Once I took an astronomy course at my local community college I was a changed man forever. From that point forward I've been obsessed with the origin of the universe and the evolutionary processes of life. I still believe proverbs is dead on, besides that everything else is rubbish.

I kinda like this one:

The lips of the just know how to please, but the mouth of the wicked, how to pervert.
-- Proverbs 10:32
:D

Er, no. It was an analogy of how I think about the subjects, not about the validity of the subjects themselves, and as an analogy, is 'like' the scenario I am making the analogy to, but not exactly the same.

You need to brush up on your grammar, bub, especially before you try being a smart Alec.

Well it seemed like that was what you were trying to say. Maybe it was a kind of freudian slip? ;)

How many times do we end up explaining this??
- Atheism is an ontological position.
- Agnosticism is an epistemological position.

Agsnoticisim is NOT the middle position on the ontological scale from theism to atheism.

You can have agnostic atheists (of which I am one), and you can have agnostic theists (of which I am sure my brother is one... who accepts there is no evidence of God, but genuinely still believes in God, placing faith in his religion).

The agnostic says that he does not know if God exists or not.
Correct.

Not all do. I say I don't know if God exists or not (I am agnostic - this is my epistemological position). As a result I do not have the belief that God exists (I am atheist - this is my ontological position).

There is a very definite difference between these two positions and it has nothing to do with courage.
Indeed there is a difference - one is an ontological position, the other is an epistemological position.

It has to do with doubt or not.
No it doesn't.
It is false to assume the agnostic is just a cowardly atheist.
Indeed it is false.
In most cases, mine certainly, the agnostic is just more cautious about making claims he cannot defend with evidence.
Ok - you don't have the evidence - you are therefore correct in that you are an agnostic.

If forced to bet, I would go with atheist POV as in general I tend not to accept the existence of things for which I know of no evidence.
Then you are also an atheist.
You are, like many of us here, an Agnostic Atheist.

For example, I tend to think unicorns do not exist, but it is quite possible that on some distant planet in this vast universe unicorns are currently pulling plows for some farmer. It is nearly impossible outside of math, to prove the non-existence of anything (unicorns or God) so I am an agnostic.
You are an agnostic atheist.

You can be an agnostic atheist. And in fact you seem to be an agnostic atheist.
They are not mutually exclusive and generally overlap considerably (the epistemological position heavily influencing their ontological position).

Whether you refer to yourself as primarily an agnostic or an atheist will be a personal decision presumably on which is stronger for you - your atheism or your agnosticism. I generally refer to myself as an agnostic atheist.

Hope this helps.

As for the OP.
I was RC, now I'm not, 'cos I discovered how to think for myself - and it has led me to where I am now.

... You can be an agnostic atheist. And in fact you seem to be an agnostic atheist.
They are not mutually exclusive and generally overlap considerably (the epistemological position heavily influencing their ontological position). ...
I will admit that the intersection of the two concepts probably is not the null space - Certainly I will not try to claim it does not exist.

However, the union of these two concepts is definitely greater. I am in the agnostic only part of that union. As proof: In Brazil where I live, there are many who want nothing to do with the dominate Catholic Church and are "spiritualists." My wife is one. These institutions also offer faith healing services. After my canceous prostate had been removed, following Pascal's Wager's advice, I went to one weekly for several months (in addition to taking my doctors drugs and modifying my diet after a lot of research at PubMed, etc. Months after the operation it had been discovered by second and third post-op PSA test results that some cancerous prostate cells had escaped into my blood stream, but a whole body isotope scan did not indicate any had metastasized.)

That condition is referred to as "PSA rising post op" and unfortunately is a delayed death sentence. (Anti-androgen drugs can control it for a few years, but then some of the cancerous cell's androgen receptors will mutate or otherwise adapt to the absence of testosterone those drugs make) and begin to divide and grow again.

Those drugs are quite expensive and I am both frugal and did not like the prognosis as otherwise I am in very good health. Based on the pier-reviewed studies I had read, I thought my special diet might kill the circulating cancerous cells. So after a couple of months on both diet and drugs, I reduced the drug dose to 75% and continued the diet. When my PSA was still undetectable with this lower dose for more than a month, I cut dose to 50% of what doctor had prescribed. Etc. for several more "test excursions" with lower doses. After about 100 days, I reduced and then stopped my diet, which include some unpleasant items (20 small but very hot red peppers each day being the worst). I assumed that if it was to work it would have killed all the circulating cancer cells by then.

I am now nearly two months with neither drugs nor diet and my rising testosterone (1.6 points per day) has climbed back to the bottom of the normal range, yet PSA is still undetectable! The last "test excursion", of nearly a month in duration, had drug dosing at only 1/8 the prescribed level so I am growing confident that I have found a cure for this fatal condition. (My wife is certain I am cured as weekly I had the faith healer's hand jesters removing evil & and his prayers, the blessed water I drank daily, her prayers for me, etc.)

If I have found a simple, cheap, cure it will no doubt be the most significant thing I have ever done. The paper my doctor and I have written is just waiting a few months more of undetectable PSA before we submit it for publication. I tend to think that if I am cured, it is due to the diet I designed, not the spiritual help but can only be sure of that after many others are cured by the diet. She could be correct. Perhaps my diet only helped me be calmer. I am agnostic about this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Adstar
What's this got to do with the existence of otherwise of God?
Absolutely nothing. These are some questions that my church could not answer. They too tried to turn this around as a lack of faith.
Where does it say this in the Bible?
Matthew 27:50-52
Mark 15:37-39
Luke 23:44-46
This is held to the context of the distruction of the temple and it being rebuilt in three days.
So I would like to know where in these scriptures does it say the Rainbow never happened before the flood?
Keep in mind that the flood was the first time water fell from the sky. Before this water sprang from within the earth as geysers.
Genesis 9
(11)And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
(14) And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud.
(17) And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
I have read the Book of Revelation many times and nowhere in it is there any reference to extinguishing the churches Lamp flames one by one.
Quick correction. There are seven churches not twelve. That's what I get for trusting my memory.
Rev 1:20
The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
Rev 2:5
Remember therfore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
From here "Super Jesus" goes on to judge each church one by one commanding them to repent as dictated by John's vision of the future apocalypse. A cautionary tail indeed.

Last edited:
I yhink it is so funny how pwople are more concerned about whaT TGHE other person believes or thinks.

ba ha ha ha ha

On a side note. I'm getting a real kick out of the side conversation going on in this thread. There's just something about atheists arguing the true meaning of atheism in a theological context that has me rolling on the ground with amusement. It just goes to show you that even nonbelievers will argue about what it means to not believe. Hay, I'm right with you guys but I still find this discussion hilarious.

To Baftan:

The agnostic says that he does not know if God exists or not.

You obviously got carried away; I did not say or claim anything about agnostics or agnosticism. Find whoever made these claims not Baftan...

It is possible to deconstruct this sentence on many different levels; from the point that there is no one type of atheist, from the point that if one doesn't have doubt how can s/he started to question the existence of God and became an atheist in the first place -obviously I am talking about those who became atheist later on-; but I will not do that since I realise you have someone else in your mind when you were writing this down, not Baftan...

Those are the facts. It is really of no consequence whether or not you want to say the atheist holds a "belief" or not.
"Facts" are things like world rotates around the sun, plants use photosynthesis, or living organisms have DNA. Stupid human ideologies have nothing to do with "facts", it's about social constructions, politics, imaginations, lies, more lies, emotions, and similar type of other shit. Plus, I did not claim that atheists have a "belief" that God does not exist. Quite the opposite: I brought all these dictionary definitions in order to show that only some perspectives (such as Oxford dictionary) do claim that atheism is a belief system. But you obviously didn't accuse me with that, you had someone else in your mental agenda, not Baftan...
Some dictionaries may use the word "belief" when describing the atheist’s POV and other may not. So what?
So what? So what you say, eh? For your information, dictionaries are sort of "battle grounds" of language; the name, fame, status of dictionaries become decisive reference points for many when it comes to social or linguistic discussions. As I stated in my example, Oxford dictionary definition of Atheism may become an important reference point for some people to claim that atheism is a "belief". The only thing you can do is either to go through some complicated linguistic and etymological -maybe some philosophical- scrunity in order to prove otherwise, or find some other definitions that clearly contradicts the original definition. I followed the second way as I found it more practical. My point was to prove that atheism is not necessarily a belief system.

There is a very definite difference between these two positions and it has nothing to do with courage. It has to do with doubt or not. It is false to assume the agnostic is just a cowardly atheist.*

It is or it is not false to assume that the agnostic is just a cowardly atheist, I don't care, because I did not claim this, somebody else did -I know who but it's your duty to find out, and it's not my duty to point others in our discussion-. But no, you didn't care less to control who wrote what, instead you chose Baftan as a target in order to vomit your problems. I am not taking this, learn how to read first before you start to list your claims about anything. If you can not see a simple thing like who wrote what, how can you expect credibility for your ideas on atheism, agnosticism or anything else for that matter?

In most cases, mine certainly, the agnostic is just more cautious about making claims he cannot defend with evidence. If forced to bet, I would go with atheist POV as in general I tend not to accept the existence of things for which I know of no evidence.

You see, since you have been such a careless reader, I don't give a toss about your "agnostic case"...

I was not going to say anything about your nonsense again since I assume that you had someone else in your mind while you were addressing Baftan. Yet again, in this paragraph you exceeded the limits of your own incapability and started to give completely wrong logic on things. Let's decode it:

-You say "I tend to think unicorns do not exist, but it is quite possible that on some distant planet in this vast universe unicorns are currently pulling plows for some farmer". Maybe this is the core reason why you are an agnostic. "Whether or not unicorns do exist" discussion is about this planet since we can only prove that life exist on this planet, in this existence, within this environment. If you start to "assume" things, you can easily assume a Godlike creatures in other planets too, why not? Since it is an "assumption" and "imagination", the sky is the limit, isn't it? What can stop you? Simply nothing. That's why discussing the existence and/or non-existence of unicorn(s) are one thing; assuming gods, unicorns, or any other thing is another thing.

-You say "It is nearly impossible outside of math, to prove the non-existence of anything (unicorns or God) so I am an agnostic." What does that mean? Honestly, repeat what you just said and ask yourself "what do I know about maths, and what did I try to say?" Math is a method of thinking and it can prove non-existence (like zero) as much as infinity. Because it is math, a human way of thinking. We know that math proving the non-existence does make any sense whatsoever when it comes to "facts". You must have realised this bit so you can claim that "math can prove non-existence", fair enough... But how on earth you can claim that other methods can not provide a way of thinking, a method, a discourse in terms of proving non-existence? If math can do that, others can do too, it's just matter of who is believing in it, that's all. If one does not understand math, the concept of non-existence (let's say "zero") will not make any sense for this math-ignorant person. If one does not understand the story format of archaic divine stories, the concept of God or unicorns will not make any sense for this divine-ignorant person. So would you believe in non-existence if maths prove it? That's the question...

The older I get, the less I know for sure. Long ago, when I was 20, I knew a lot.

Take this as a compliment or some other way you wish -depending on your agnostic perspective-, but I assume that you haven't changed a bit...

Last edited:
Back