What caused you to turn away from your faith?

Billy T,
Thank you for elaborating. I couldn't agree more.
M*W,
The premise of this thread is to share why you did or did not turn away from your childhood faith. This should not be confused with questioning peoples motives behind their current belief system (there are plenty of other threads for that). Keeping that in mind, under which faith were you brought up and do you still practice it? You seem like a smart enough lady so how about staying on topic.

In college, I read the following witticism: “An agnostic is a cowardly atheist.” It made me realize that I was really an atheist who was not willing to admit to that view considered so extreme by classmates, teachers, family, et cetera.

I have been an atheist for well over 60 years.

I will make disparaging remarks when theology is presented as an equal alternative to a scientific view of reality. Itheists against theist claims that atheists are liars, cheats, lacking in integrity, cannot be trusted to keep their promises, are willing to steal, kill, et cetera.
M*W: Then you might like www.thinkatheist.com

M*W, The premise of this thread is to share why you did or did not turn away from your childhood faith. This should not be confused with questioning peoples motives behind their current belief system (there are plenty of other threads for that). Keeping that in mind, under which faith were you brought up and do you still practice it? You seem like a smart enough lady so how about staying on topic.
M*W: I'll stay on topic when you make everyone else stay on topic.

But, since the thread asks about the history of our faith, here's mine in a nut shell (no pun intended):

Prenatal: Atheist
Born: Atheist
Age: 1-5: Baptised Methodist, raised by hard shell Baptist grandmother
Age: 5-9: Parents Agnostic, I followed other kids to Primitive Baptist Church
Age: 9-17: Agnostic home. No mention of god or anything religious
Age: 17-21: Baptist University, but I hated it and still didn't believe
Age: 23-43: Embraced Roman Catholicism fervently. Confirmed RC
Age: 43-54: Started questioning theology. Priests wouldn't answer questions
Age: 54-??: Joined Sciforums. Got re-educated. Began to embrace Atheism
Age: ??-??: Confirmed atheist. I was born an atheist, and will die an atheist.

{post43}
M*W: Then you might like www.thinkatheist.com
You quote dinosaur as stating: “An agnostic is a cowardly atheist.”

I don't think that is correct as the Atheist, like the religious, is sure of their beliefs, which are no more verifiable than the converse that God does exist.

I visited your link -Thought I might point this out there too and give my post 29's footnote argument for the doubting POV, but to post you need to join as an Atheist so that would be sort of self contradictory. I assume you are a member. If you think post 29 footnote interesting for them, please feel free to copy and post it there.

M*W: Good for you!

Just curious, you said you "stayed in the church until my son was a newborn." What was your son doing before he was a newborn?

I am pleased to meet you, Medicine*Woman. IMHO, thread jacking is a noble hobby, though I have had an e - finger shaken at me recently by the thread police for merely saying that. :rolleyes:

Anyways, to answer your question, he was resident in my wife's uterus listening to me read a Group Algebra text from a graduate math class to him. It has not helped his high school math grades out much though...... :( He also kicked a bit and did other unborn child type stuff that I couldn't see. He does a lot more stuff now though.

We got kicked out of church when he was just a couple of months old. He is an atheist, as am I. No ghost in the machine, no god, no soul, no angels or devils, WYSIWYG, once than done, like an old dot matrix printer ribbon.

Tip of the hat to Sandy for 'her' online persona - well played!

Billy T,
Thank you for elaborating. I couldn't agree more.
M*W,
The premise of this thread is to share why you did or did not turn away from your childhood faith. This should not be confused with questioning peoples motives behind their current belief system (there are plenty of other threads for that). Keeping that in mind, under which faith were you brought up and do you still practice it? You seem like a smart enough lady so how about staying on topic.

Actinoids, the premise of the title and thread is slightly misleading.

It's like, "is the glass half empty or half full?"

You ask why people "turned away" from the faith.
That wording specifically implies that the faith is real and yet lost minds turn away from it.

You might consider having the title changed to a much more neutral position, such as, "Why do you lack faith in divine beliefs?" or something, if you wish to hold a serious topic.

The title immediately puts a person who does not believe in the divine on the defensive.

Originally Posted by Neverfly
Acitnoids, the premise of the title and thread is slightly misleading.
I disagree unless of course you consider the OP of any thread to be an inconsequential formality. The first paragraph of the OP (all three sentences of it) clearly specifies the topic to be discussed.
You ask why people "turn away" from the faith. That wording specifically implies that the faith is real and yet lost minds turn away from it.
What?!? That's quite an assumption. You thought I was saying that the faith is real and yet lost minds turn away from it? What?!? Where did you get that idea from?
You might consider having the title changed to a much more neutral position, such as, "Why do you lack faith in divine beliefs?" or something, if you wish to hold a serious topic.
The current title makes more sense. Look, none of us had a choice in which faith we would be born into. (The rule in my family was, "If you live under my roof then you have to go to church." This is probably why I moved out the day after graduating highschool.) But at some point in our lives we made a conscious decision to either embrace our parents faith or turn away from it. That is my inquiry. No offence but, I could care less about your current faith or lack there of. You can't get more neutral than that. As I like to say, "To me it's just a half glass of whatever."
Being that you decided to join in ... how would you answer the questions found in the OP?

In earlier post I said "eduction" caused me to drop my indoctrinated beliefs, and that is the main reason but there was another that operated subconsciously to make me hate church:

Both my parents smoked -essentially chain smokers. My step mother would have done her hair up shortly before we got in the car and I was not allowed to open any window as that could mess it up. To this day, I do not like to ride in a car with the windows entirely closed. I don't recall being conscious of it at the time, but I am sure I must have hated just going to church. Like Pavlov's dogs I was conditioned not to like church.

Thank God or "what ever powers may be" we were too poor for her to have hair spray or it did not yet exist.

What?!? That's quite an assumption. You thought I was saying that the faith is real and yet lost minds turn away from it? What?!? Where did you get that idea from?
From how it was worded. As I explained clearly in my post in which I did not accuse you in the least of doing it intentionally.

It was merely a suggestion. If you don't like it- that is fine.

You can either be defensive... Or be self aware enough to consider whether or not my point had merit.
:shrug:

Being that you decided to join in ... how would you answer the questions found in the OP?

I answerd in the post where I seconded "Education."

Under which faith were you raised? Do you still practice it? If not then why?
I was raised under the pentecostal faith (Assemblies of God). My family attended church three times a week and throughout my childhood I had no reason to question what I was being taught. For two weeks out of every summer I attended a Jesus camp where I eventually became a camp councilor. I taught Sunday school and went on various mission trips throughout the U.S. and Mexico. Before the age of eighteen I had led hundreds of people in prayer to accept Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior. But all was not well in my heart. By the time puberty was in full swing I was questioning things that my church could not answer. I'm not sure why but I had it in my head that ancient people were somehow closer to God than modern people. From this misconception I began to study any religion that came before Christianity. Because of their similarities I concentrated my studies on ancient occult practices and shared my crisis of faith with fellow councilors at church camp. This simple request for council led to immediate persecution. I was accused of practicing black magic and was brought before the district superintendent to explain myself. He seemed to understand but by the middle of the week there were rumors going around that I was a warlock and had ritually sacrificed animals in the nearby woods. I was asked to leave for the sake of the children. Mind you, I was never a practicing pagan. I just wanted to understand the origin of religion. This helped me recognize that anyone who puts their religion on the same pedestal as God will fail to see the distinction between the two. The same goes for their holy books which are nothing more than the engraven words of man. I had no choice but to walk away from that which turned its back on me yet in return I found my inner peace. This would not be the last time an orthodoxy would ostracize me for my curiosity but at least now I can understand why they do it.

What where the questions they could not answer?

All Praise The Ancient of Days

I was born to christian parents, christened, and attended christian schools. My family never attended church, I only went with the school, and that wasn't very often.

I never really believed in god. None of the claims about god made any sense to me, I always had questions. None of the believers I spoke to were convincing, and many were downright hypocrites.

Two of the kids I went to school with went to Sunday school, and would always tell us what they were taught at school afterwards. I couldn't believe the crap they were fed, the apologetic watered down half truths adults tell to children to get them onboard astounded me. The fact these kids were bright, but swallowed that stuff, and didn't question it bothered me. There were always questions, but they never had an answers, and when I asked them, they avoided answering, and always changed the subject.

Seems christian methodologies haven't changed, and now, as an adult, I still have yet to meet an honest christian.

So that makes me an atheist. I never was a believer, and I'm still not.

You quote dinosaur as stating: “An agnostic is a cowardly atheist.”

I don't think that is correct as the Atheist, like the religious, is sure of their beliefs, which are no more verifiable than the converse that God does exist.

As well know, atheism is a lack of belief. The only thing I am sure of, is my lack of a belief.

Agnosticism is often the word atheists use to refer themselves, because they think declaring themselves an atheist could be confrontational. That is a bit cowardly.

If however, they are real agnostics, and are making a statement about epistemology, well, that's pure folly. It's a definite statement about something esoteric, and there is no evidence to back up the position. It's as groundless as faith.

Some may say that being an agnostic means you are skeptical about the existance of God. That person is an atheist. You either believe, or you don't, there is no midground.

I dislike the term agnostic. I think it's vague, cowardly, and unscientific.

Millions of born-again Christians are ridiculously happy. We have Jesus, are going to Heaven when we die, have no fear, and love life. Sometimes Satan sends bitter shrews to try to steal our joy. We NEVER let that happen.

Shrews stealing your joy, Mexicans stealing your jobs, but you think you are happy 'Sandy'?

You complain a lot for a happy person.

As well know, atheism is a lack of belief. The only thing I am sure of, is my lack of a belief.

Agnosticism is often the word atheists use to refer themselves, because they think declaring themselves an atheist could be confrontational. That is a bit cowardly.

If however, they are real agnostics, and are making a statement about epistemology, well, that's pure folly. It's a definite statement about something esoteric, and there is no evidence to back up the position. It's as groundless as faith.

Some may say that being an agnostic means you are skeptical about the existance of God. That person is an atheist. You either believe, or you don't, there is no midground.

I dislike the term agnostic. I think it's vague, cowardly, and unscientific.

You're confused phlog. Atheism is the belief that there is no god. In other words, you're just as irrational as everybody else.

Atheism is the belief that there is no god.

Don't be so sure...

Wikipedia definition of the word:

Atheism is commonly described as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader meaning is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.

It says Atheism is not a belief; it is the “absence” of belief.

dictionary.com adds “doctrine” and “disbelief” alongside belief:

–noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Oxford dictionary, however, support your claim:

noun the belief that God does not exist.

I think these perspectives are the result of different individual perceptions of atheists. But I also suspect that some of the definitions, especially the ones claiming Atheism is a belief system, are the attempts of believers trying to impose their delusional mental state to non-believers.

Originally Posted by Neverfly
From how it was worded. As I explained clearly in my post in which I did not accuse you in the least of doing it intentionally. It was merely a suggestion. If you don't like it- that is fine. You can either be defensive... Or be self aware enough to consider whether or not my point had merit. :shrug:
I think confused is a better description than defensive (?!? not !?!, more question than exclamation). But yes and thank you. Point taken.
I answerd in the post where I seconded "Education".
Weak but fair enough. :cheers:

To Baftan:

The agnostic says that he does not know if God exists or not.

The atheist does not have this doubt. He states that God does not exist.

Those are the facts. It is really of no consequence whether or not you want to say the atheist holds a "belief" or not. Some dictionaries may use the word "belief" when describing the atheist’s POV and other may not. So what?

There is a very definite difference between these two positions and it has nothing to do with courage. It has to do with doubt or not. It is false to assume the agnostic is just a cowardly atheist.* In most cases, mine certainly, the agnostic is just more cautious about making claims he cannot defend with evidence. If forced to bet, I would go with atheist POV as in general I tend not to accept the existence of things for which I know of no evidence.

For example, I tend to think unicorns do not exist, but it is quite possible that on some distant planet in this vast universe unicorns are currently pulling plows for some farmer. It is nearly impossible outside of math, to prove the non-existence of anything (unicorns or God) so I am an agnostic.

The older I get, the less I know for sure. Long ago, when I was 20, I knew a lot.
-----------------
* I will, however admit that in a religious dominated culture, many atheists may keep still, or claim to be agnostics if forced to explain their lack of participation in religious activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
The atheist does not have this doubt. He states that God does not exist.

No Billy. An atheist makes no such statement. I don't believe in god, like I don't collect stamps. I do not deny the existence of stamps, or the existence of stamp collectors. Atheism means I just don't believe in anybody else's god(s).

Back