Virgins anyone???

huh!! I'm sure that must have been my stowaway buddy Vince, he comes from somewhere in India he speaks many languages. He probably was fooling around on my comp when I crashed out!!...the fool must have thought he was on a dating site!!hahaha:eek:

Why don't you ask Tirmidhi?

It was his idea. With your polyglot and multilingual facilities, you should be able to surmise why he wrote it.

Can you read?

Yes you're right SAM I AM, I wrote hastily. I acknowledge some scholars view this sex appeal as being for both sexes.

Nevertheless my question still stands. Does it seem godly to you that a god would appeal to the base instincts of Man (vis a vis rampant sex with virgins) as a motivation to be obedient, rather than appealing to the spiritual?

And I am still interested in the rationale for the 72. Even though it is not in the Qur'an it is still widely believed.

-- Rev

Yes you're right SAM I AM, I wrote hastily. I acknowledge some scholars view this sex appeal as being for both sexes.

Nevertheless my question still stands. Does it seem godly to you that a god would appeal to the base instincts of Man (vis a vis rampant sex with virgins) as a motivation to be obedient, rather than appealing to the spiritual?

And I am still interested in the rationale for the 72. Even though it is not in the Qur'an it is still widely believed.

-- Rev
I see the answer is NO

SAM, that was your question to me! I apologized for my hasty remark.

You can tell me to go to H*** but no need to be obtuse.

The irony is astounding.

Sorry just go back and read the meaning of the word hurin.

As for the source of the 72 virgins myth, you'll have to ask Tirmidhi.

Or Vega.

Or make up your own, there was an interesting astrological rendition from QuestionEverything.

The word is huri and does not mean virgins. The word 72 virgins does not occur anywhere in the Quran, it is based on the writings of a Muslim scholar, Tirmidhi, who lived from 824-892; for perspective Mohammed died in 632.
So you're saying that Tirmidhi was in error? Was he an arabic speaker himself? Why would he make such an error?

If your interpretation is correct, then the deal is some undefined number of clear eyed companions? Is that correct?

A Google search of 72 virgins reveals this from The Straight Dope.com.
The difficulty in determining what the Koran has to say about virgins and such is establishing what the Koran says, period. Translators vary widely in their rendering of the spare and often opaque text. For example, we find the following passage in a Web-based version of Islam's holy book (www.unn.ac.uk/societies/islamic/index.htm): "Verily, for the Muttaqun [righteous], there will be a success (paradise); gardens and grapeyards; and young full-breasted (mature) maidens of equal age; and a full cup (of wine)" (An-Naba 78:31-34). Whoa, one thinks--the Kingdom of Heaven meets the Playboy Advisor! However, most other English translations, both on-line and in print, replace "full-breasted maidens" with some tame construction such as "companions." Inquiring further, we find that the Arabic word at issue is WakawaAAiba, which appears nowhere else in the Koran. The French, less prudish in these matters, usually render it as something like des belles aux seins arrondis, "beautiful women with round breasts," so I think it's pretty clear what the Prophet, or at least his stenographers, had in mind.

Nothing in the Koran specifically states that the faithful are allotted 72 virgins apiece. For this elaboration we turn to the hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2,562 in the collection known as the Sunan al-Tirmidhi says, "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby."

A little hype from the marketing department, you may say. Fine. Let's return to the Koran, Islam's font of religious authority. Even if we leave out the racy detail and make allowances for metaphor, we're obliged to admit that Islamic heaven is a pretty rockin' place, with an emphasis on sensual pleasures. The provision of virgins in indeterminate quantities is alluded to at numerous points, and you know they're not just there to fluff the pillows. (In fairness to the Prophet, the physical quality usually attributed to the houris, as they're called, is "wide lovely eyes.") The food, service, ambience., etc, are great. You're allowed to enjoy things the Koran explicitly denies you on earth, such as alcohol, and you won't even get sick. ("Wine . . . delicious to those who drink it . . . will neither dull their senses nor they will become drunk.") Granted, the whole thing is skewed toward the male idea of a good time, a defect by no means confined to Islam. Were Muhammad to found a religion today, I'm confident that each female arrival in heaven would be assigned a comely stud who would provide fabulous sex and in addition hang the curtain rods the first time he was asked. Granted, also, the emphasis on virgins is a little weird. (Think back on the first nights you've been party to. Was this your idea of great sex?) Still, you have to admit, heaven as Party Central sure beats the Christian idea of angels with harps. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011214.html
So the Hadith promise:
"The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby."
While the Koran itself contains only:
Let's return to the Koran, Islam's font of religious authority. Even if we leave out the racy detail and make allowances for metaphor, we're obliged to admit that Islamic heaven is a pretty rockin' place, with an emphasis on sensual pleasures. The provision of virgins in indeterminate quantities is alluded to at numerous points, and you know they're not just there to fluff the pillows. (In fairness to the Prophet, the physical quality usually attributed to the houris, as they're called, is "wide lovely eyes.") The food, service, ambience., etc, are great. You're allowed to enjoy things the Koran explicitly denies you on earth, such as alcohol, and you won't even get sick.​
So he included "wide lovely eyes" translation, but still says that the Koran promises The provision of virgins in indeterminate quantities is alluded to at numerous points.

Is this also incorrect? Because it sounds like the only question is how many virgins (or "companions with wide lovely eyes") you'll be provided with.

I'm sorry. Does Tirmidhi claim to be referencing the Quran?

Where does he say that?

And translations of hurin into virgins is a western fancy.

All the Arabic translations I have read follow these translations:

In Islam, the ḥūr or ḥūrīyah (Arabic: حورية‎) are described as "(splendid)[1] companions of equal age (well-matched)[2]", "lovely eyed"[3], of "modest gaze"[4], "voluptuous",[5] "pure beings" or "companions pure" of paradise, denoting humans and jinns who enter paradise after being recreated anew in the hereafter.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri

But hey, who ever gets the meaning of Islamic terms from Muslims?

As for Hadith, check isnad.

Regarding the above statement, Hafiz Salahuddin Yusuf has said: "The narration, which claims that everyone would have seventy-two wives has a weak chain of narrators.

Also, I'd like to know which verse in the Qur'an has a provision for indeterminate numbers of virgins.

Chapter and verse please.

Last edited:
The Islamic Paradise or Jannat which was invented by Mohammed to bribe the Arabs into committing hedious crimes by promising them materialistic things which they couldn't obtain in the harsh desert. The paradise contains six important items: beautiful virgins, young boys, water, wine, fruits and wealth.
Why didnt you provide a link to the original site for this essay...you didnt write it.

Anyway, what difference does it make whether the heavenly companions are virgins or not???

I'm sorry. Does Tirmidhi claim to be referencing the Quran?

Where does he say that?

And translations of hurin into virgins is a western fancy.

All the Arabic translations I have read follow these translations:

In Islam, the ḥūr or ḥūrīyah (Arabic: حورية‎) are described as "(splendid)[1] companions of equal age (well-matched)[2]", "lovely eyed"[3], of "modest gaze"[4], "voluptuous",[5] "pure beings" or "companions pure" of paradise, denoting humans and jinns who enter paradise after being recreated anew in the hereafter.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri

But hey, who ever gets the meaning of Islamic terms from Muslims?

Tirmidhi was a well respected scholar and one of the first to collect the Hadiths. Tirmidhi is not referring to the Qur'an, but to specific things Muhammad (pbuh) said.

If you SAM do not follow the teachings in the Hadiths, then you would be a rare Muslim.

Tirmidhi was a well respected scholar and one of the first to collect the Hadiths. Tirmidhi is not referring to the Qur'an, but to specific things Muhammad (pbuh) said.

If you SAM do not follow the teachings in the Hadiths, then you would be a rare Muslim.

Uh please do not teach me Islam.:rolleyes:

Following the Hadith is not the same as following the Quran.

The Hadith is a collection of oral traditions but was collected 100-400 years after the prophets death. Plus there is a tradition of isnad and rules for the Hadith.

According to the rules of isnad this hadith of 72 virgins has a weak chain of narrators and due to it being supported by only Tirmidhis work is a Gharib (unusual) Hadith, hence is considered weak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gharib

Last edited:
Uh please do not teach me Islam.:rolleyes:

Following the Hadith is not the same as following the Quran.

The Hadith is a collection of oral traditions but was collected 100-400 years after the prophets death. Plus there is a tradition of isnad and rules for the Hadith.

According to the rules of isnad this hadith of 72 virgins has a weak chain of narrators and due to it being supported by only Tirmidhis work is a Gharib (unusual) Hadith, hence is considered weak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gharib

How about Al-Suyuti (died 1505 AD).

He is another respected Quranic commentator. He wrote: "Each time we sleep with a houri we find her virgin. Besides, the penis of the Elected never softens. The erection is eternal; the sensation that you feel each time you make love is utterly delicious and out of this world and were you to experience it in this world you would faint. Each chosen one [ie Muslim] will marry seventy [sic] houris, besides the women he married on earth, and all will have appetizing vaginas."

Thats pretty hot SAM! A perpetual erection?

I wouldn't call her a rare Muslim.

"Have they not looked at the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all the things God has created? Does it ever occur to them that the end of their life may be near? Which Hadith besides this (Quran) do they believe in?"

Qur'an 7:185

"We did not leave anything out of this book."

Qur'an 6:38

You have to understand that hadiths are sometimes not very reliable. Ultimately, the choice to make a hadith authentic or not (back then) was simply if the person putting them together wanted to accept it or reject it. Bukhair collected over 300,000 hadiths, but only accepted about 2,600. Same thing with Sahih Muslim: over 300,000 hadiths collected, yet about 4,000 accepted. Don't you see a huge room for error in this? Add in the hundreds of thousands of fake hadiths that were fabricated, and there's a lot of misunderstanding. Hadiths are the works of men. The Qur'an is the message of Allah.

How about Al-Suyuti (died 1505 AD).

He is another respected Quranic commentator. He wrote: "Each time we sleep with a houri we find her virgin. Besides, the penis of the Elected never softens. The erection is eternal; the sensation that you feel each time you make love is utterly delicious and out of this world and were you to experience it in this world you would faint. Each chosen one [ie Muslim] will marry seventy [sic] houris, besides the women he married on earth, and all will have appetizing vaginas."

Thats pretty hot SAM! A perpetual erection?

1505 AD? Why not Vega, 2008

Homosexuality was and is widely practised in Islamic conutries. To please the homosexuals among his followers he promised them pre-pubescent boys in Paradise. So after committing plunder, loot, rape and murder in this life, the followers of Islam get "rewarded" by untouched virginal youths who are fresh like pearls.

Whatever makes your bell jingle

Back