Vick's 50 Pit Bulls to be killed

madanthonywayne

Morning in America
Registered Senior Member
Michael Vicks is going to prison for practicing the cruel sport of dog fighting. Now the government steps in and "rescues" the dogs. Those lucky dogs. No longer in the cruel clutches of evil dogfighters. Except for one thing. Now the government is going to kill them!

Here's the question. Weren't those dogs better off before being saved?

More than 50 pit bulls seized from Michael Vick's property face a Thursday deadline to be claimed. If no one comes forward, they could be euthanized.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070822/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_vick_dogs_3

Unbelievable. I hadn't heard this. But to be fair, who would want to adopt a dog that has been trained to kill? Think of the legal liability...

Hmm, torture vs death. I'm gonna say death is better than being tortured.
Mananthony, feel free to offer to adopt them all though.

I'd think that, unlike humans, dogs can be deprogrammed from vicious to somewhat semi irritable. Let them be adopted if they can be.

No one holds the governmebt responsible for what Vick did to the dogs, they only want to see the dogs adopted out instead of being killed. More of a humane gesture. If those who adopt the dogs sign a release, then the government should try to let the dogs be adopted out by good, loving people. But what if some criminals want them to fight again??

It is hard to de-programme dogs, especially those trained to fight and kill (and most probably treated horrendously to make them this way). Whoever adopted these dogs would be living with a potential time bomb. You certainly wouldn't want them anywhere near children and they would be a threat to other dogs taking a walk in the park. unfortunately the most humane thing is to have them put down. If blame is to be apportioned it should be to the reckless people breeding them (for they know to what purpose) and the fellow who owned them.

Again I say that any dog could be deprogrammed by the RIGHT individuals. But finding those willing to accept that responsibility is very difficult to do, but should at least be tried.

Would the 'right' people who can deprogramme 50 bred for fighting pit bull terriors please step forward?
Even the most experienced of dog handlers wouldn't take the risk because the 'risk' would be too great.

Michael Vicks is going to prison for practicing the cruel sport of dog fighting. Now the government steps in and "rescues" the dogs. Those lucky dogs. No longer in the cruel clutches of evil dogfighters. Except for one thing. Now the government is going to kill them!

Here's the question. Weren't those dogs better off before being saved?

Want to know the difference? ....... The news media won't sensationalize that aspect of the situation. So the people won't have to be ...ahh, horrified.

Notice the media doesn't say "killed"? Nope, that sounds too harsh, so they use the nice, kind, thoughtful, understanding term "euthanized". See? Don't that sound so much better?

Baron Max

Would the 'right' people who can deprogramme 50 bred for fighting pit bull terriors please step forward?
Even the most experienced of dog handlers wouldn't take the risk because the 'risk' would be too great.

The dog whisperer could do it! ;)

No, the dogs were not better off before. Facing a cruel death from fighting, or being shot or electrocuted for losing, in no way compares to being given a lethal injection. I love dogs, and all of the pit bull terriers I have known have been great dogs, but there is no way I would want one of these dogs.

I'm glad Vick is going to the big house. Hopefully, more people involved in dog fighting will be joining him there.

Those dogs'd have you by the balls before you got within 2 feet of their ears. :eek:

Agreed. I'm a big pet lover myself, but "pit" bull terriers have been selectively bred to promote the instinct to fight, much like a lab to water, and unfortunately we pet lovers hate to see any dog put down. But a life of fighting, bleeding, punishment, and rage is far worse. De-progamming these dogs is like trying to rewire a brain that cannot conceive of another way of life. That's why dogfighting is a crime in most, if not all, of the 50 states.

or maybe you could remove there balls i heard that helps with agresion ... the main problem now is people are crossing the with staffs to avoid legal isues.

or maybe you could remove there balls i heard that helps with agresion ... the main problem now is people are crossing the with staffs to avoid legal isues.

but this can also make them more agressive and unkind...
It is cruel to think an animal is bred to fight but they should be put down to stop the aggressive behaviour. Which will then stop the number of deaths caused by these dogs..

Back