unification of abrahamic religions?

oh GOODY! skinwalker cant handle a serious conversation taking place in his forum, so he moves it to an inappropriate one!

good show, assbutt.

I think this is a more appropriate forum, since we are comparing religious edicts. :)

Last edited:
Hi, Skinwalker informed me about moving this thread.
I think this is a decend discussion, please stay on topic.

i seriously disagree. this conversation isnt about comparison, its about synthesis.

For which you need to compare the abrahamic religions in order to understand what sticks together and what not.

Hi, Skinwalker informed me about moving this thread.
I think this is a decend discussion, please stay on topic.

For which you need to compare the abrahamic religions in order to understand what sticks together and what not.

well, certainly a comparison has to take place, but the root of the issue is not the comparison.

I absolutely agree, so when you all have done the comparison, make another thread in Religion and start from there.
Since Skinwalker moved this thread here, and there is no more appropriate subforum, you are invited to discuss this topic here, till you have finished with the comparison. There is no point in moving this thread back since the moderator of the Religion forum has already made his decision.

I answered the question you asked.

I meant to the OP; what do Christians, who do not believe in the trinity, believe in?

What are the basic articles of their faith?

Also, who are these Christians?:)

Most Christians are Trinitarians, but not all.
The Mormons are not trinitarian - they believe that teh Godhead, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are three distinct entities.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe similarly - that there are three distinct entities, and the Trinity is apologist dogma invented by the Catholic Church.

The Jehova's and the Mormons reject all catholic Dogma whole heartedly. In fact, the Mormons equate the Catholic Chrurch withe the "Whore of Babylon" mentioned in the Bible.

The Unitarians and the Unification Church got their names from trying to unify the triune Godhead, but specifically how they do that is unclear to me.

So the Jehovahs, Mormons and Unitarians how are they different in their beliefs about Christ?

What do they consider him?

Also, who are the gnostics?

So the Jehovahs, Mormons and Unitarians how are they different in their beliefs about Christ?

What do they consider him?
The Jehova's beliefs about Jesus are not really different than mainstream Christianity, other than the fact that they do not believe him to be the physical manifestation of God on Earth - rather simply God's son.
They also believe that after the raputure he will rule over a physical paradise on Earth.

The Mormons are, perhaps, the most divergent from mainstream Christianity regarding their beliefs about Jesus.
They do see him as the prophesied savior, but he was just a man - as everyone else is.
He is praised because he achieved what any man can, but most do not.
Think of the Eastern version of enlightenment.

They also believe he came back after the resurrection and travelled to different parts of the world to spread his gospel.
Thie "Book of Mormon" is an account of his visit to North America and the Native Americans.

Also, who are the gnostics?
The Gnostics are a completely different animal altogther.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostics

The Mormons sound like their beliefs are very close to what Muslims believe about Christ.

I understand this is a purely hypothetical topic, as it would be impossible to unite these three religions into one seeing that problematic dogma separates them, but I can understand it's significance on a smaller scale. I was brought up Pentecostal, but my personal views of faith side more with Judaism and from what I know about Islam (which isn't much) I agree more or less with. So in a sense, it's easy for someone to embrace all three, but in a worldwide view, impossible.

I understand this is a purely hypothetical topic, as it would be impossible to unite these three religions into one seeing that problematic dogma separates them, but I can understand it's significance on a smaller scale. I was brought up Pentecostal, but my personal views of faith side more with Judaism and from what I know about Islam (which isn't much) I agree more or less with. So in a sense, it's easy for someone to embrace all three, but in a worldwide view, impossible.

well, what are the problematic dogmas to you, and what is a way in which they can be reconciled?

I think the most major problem especially coming from a Christian background is the issue between Jews and Christians concerning Jesus being the Messiah. The Christian faith certainly couldn't change on this issue, seeing that it's centered on Jesus being the son of God. The Jewish faith on the other hand isn't dictated around Jesus NOT being the Messiah, so that is part of their religion that COULD change, or, added upon, rather. But that all depends on how strong the case is that Jesus was in fact the son of God.

As for Islam, I certainly need a stronger understanding of that faith. I believe I'm correct in saying that Jesus was viewed as a teacher and messenger of Allah, but not a prophet. And I'm not sure how the whole of Christianity or Judiasm views Mohammed as a true prophet of God either.

It's understood that all three religions agree that there is but one God, so in theory, it must be the same central character with more or less the same attribues and characteristics, but it's the next figure down in the heirarchy that is disagreed upon, and from there is where it all branches out.

I think the most major problem especially coming from a Christian background is the issue between Jews and Christians concerning Jesus being the Messiah. The Christian faith certainly couldn't change on this issue, seeing that it's centered on Jesus being the son of God. The Jewish faith on the other hand isn't dictated around Jesus NOT being the Messiah, so that is part of their religion that COULD change, or, added upon, rather. But that all depends on how strong the case is that Jesus was in fact the son of God.
well, the jewish perspective on how modern christians view jesus is simple: idolatry.

i dont personally see jesus being the son of god or even the messiah as the foundation of christianity, though...i see the teachings of a guy named jesus as the foundation....an attempt to reform the judaism of his day. *shrug* just my opinion, though.

As for Islam, I certainly need a stronger understanding of that faith. I believe I'm correct in saying that Jesus was viewed as a teacher and messenger of Allah, but not a prophet. And I'm not sure how the whole of Christianity or Judiasm views Mohammed as a true prophet of God either.

Correct me if I am wrong, sam, but I think he IS seen as a Prophet, just not the LAST prophet.
Islam seems Muhammed as the LAST and final Prophet - which completely blows Mormons out of the water, because the Mormons ALWAYS have a Prophet.
Gordon B Hinckley is the current Mormon Prophet, as far as I am aware.

well, the jewish perspective on how modern christians view jesus is simple: idolatry.

i dont personally see jesus being the son of god or even the messiah as the foundation of christianity, though...i see the teachings of a guy named jesus as the foundation....an attempt to reform the judaism of his day. *shrug* just my opinion, though.

No, that is true, at the original intention of what I think Christianity was meant to be, but I was pulling from a more modern example of what Christians define as the foundation of their religion. I definitely think that the intentions of Jesus are not what has evolved to today.

No, that is true, at the original intention of what I think Christianity was meant to be, but I was pulling from a more modern example of what Christians define as the foundation of their religion. I definitely think that the intentions of Jesus are not what has evolved to today.

the point i was trying (badly, i might add) to make is that perhaps a unification could only happen if christianity returned to its roots?

Back