unification of abrahamic religions?

The Devil Inside

Banned
Banned
i have been sitting and wondering this morning on the idea that perhaps the three major abrahamic faiths might be one day congealed into one religion.

what doctrines would need change from each faith (islam, christianity, and judaism) in order to accomplish this on a widespread basis (at least 70 percent of practitioners agreeing with the "unified" religion)?

ive been doing some writing on the subject, and would appreciate some input from muslims and christians (im jewish).

Thats an intriguing notion.

Being a Muslim, I would have to say, to me the easiest way would be if all the Prophets were recognised as such.

So the greatest change would be in Christianity, since Judaism and Islam are already pretty similar, in fact recognising the Prophet would make the Jews essentially Muslim (since thats the only major difference in faith).

Thats an intriguing notion.

Being a Muslim, I would have to say, to me the easiest way would be if all the Prophets were recognised as such.

So the greatest change would be in Christianity, since Judaism and Islam are already pretty similar, in fact recognising the Prophet would make the Jews essentially Muslim (since thats the only major difference in faith).

indeed.
during the time of ezra (circa 300 BCE), when the majority of jews refused to move from babylon to israel, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets -- haggai, zechariah and malachi

....that certainly creates a bump in the road. well, is the foundation of islam based on the status of mohammed? just wondering.

indeed.
during the time of ezra (circa 300 BCE), when the majority of jews refused to move from babylon to israel, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets -- haggai, zechariah and malachi

....that certainly creates a bump in the road. well, is the foundation of islam based on the status of mohammed? just wondering.

Yup, the foundation is "Allah is the one true god and Mohammed is his last prophet".

ah, ok.
well, the first thing i think would help the discussion is to simplify the basic tenets of each of the three religions, and find the broadest similarities to expound upon.

anyone want to go first?

The basic premise of Islam is that there is only God, he has no partner (La sharika ).

I'm 99% sure that Mohammed being the last prophet is also an essential part of it.

That is a belief that speaks to revelations; it does not invalidate messengers. Besides, it is not an article of faith; the shahadah says nothing about last rasool, merely Mohammed ur Rasoolullah.

Good thread - it should be in Comparitive Religion.

i thought it also had a home here, hopefully.
comparative religion is a seperate beast, in my eyes. this is about dogma....mostly.

sam, do you foresee the importance of muhammed's "prophet status" being marginalized in the reasonably near future (we are talking a thousand years or so...something akin to the protestant revolution that christianity experienced)...i think that if muhammed were portrayed as "an enlightened teacher", much like jesus, there would be nothing seperating islam and judaism....that is the central issue, aside from cultural and political divisions (admittedly problematic, but not a deal breaking quandry).

now, the real quagmire: how do we integrate christians into the new entity of judaislam? :D

edit: i suppose it could also be called islamojudaism?

i thought it also had a home here, hopefully.
comparative religion is a seperate beast, in my eyes. this is about dogma....mostly.

sam, do you foresee the importance of muhammed's "prophet status" being marginalized in the reasonably near future (we are talking a thousand years or so...something akin to the protestant revolution that christianity experienced)...i think that if muhammed were portrayed as "an enlightened teacher", much like jesus, there would be nothing seperating islam and judaism....that is the central issue, aside from cultural and political divisions.

now, the real quagmire: how do we integrate christians into the new entity of judaislam? :D

edit: i suppose it could also be called islamojudaism?

I think Muhammed is given far too much importance in Islam; the message is more important than the messenger, sah?

So yes, if Muhammed is portrayed as a teacher, that would not take away from the faith in the least. As it is there is a lot of unnecessary emphasis on the Hadiths, leading to caricaturisation of the faith, with medieval legal opinions practised in modern society.

I think Muhammed is given far too much importance in Islam; the message is more important than the messenger, sah?

So yes, if Muhammed is portrayed as a teacher, that would not take away from the faith in the least. As it is there is a lot of unnecessary emphasis on the Hadiths, leading to caricaturisation of the faith, with medieval legal opinions practised in modern society.

i think that the (very recent, and certainly only a political tool to rally israelis....lets not get into that!) idea of a jewish only zion would have to be the breaking point for jews, in respect to islam.

obviously, its the whole "jesus is the messiah" thing with the christians. :)

i think that the (VERY RECENT) idea of a jewish only zion would have to be the breaking point for jews, in respect to islam.

obviously, its the whole "jesus is the messiah" thing with the christians. :)

Do ALL Christians believe in the trinity? What about gnostics?

Do ALL Christians believe in the trinity? What about gnostics?

the main emphasis in the last hundred years or so placed on the trinity has been by american protestant denominations. it has become an almost brand new religion, in the sense that it has revolutionized nearly every idea on prosetylizing, conversion, and the meaning of the religion.

Back