To Theists: Why do you value hope more than truth?

Then post a pictue of one.

What a lame reply. It'd be easier if you just look at a picture of a brain and understand that this is what holds all our memories, emotions, thought processes, biological functions... everything. Patterns of neurons firing here and there to get different results. It's anything but metaphysical - It's about as material as it gets... hence why it's know as the most complicated object in the known universe.

Yes, certain areas of brain are more active. How do you think that proves materialism.

Didn't you just answer that for me?

"Yes, certain areas of brain are more active."

To assert it is to make a metaphysical assertion wiothout evidence. The exact thing you say is wrong about religion. Makes you a hypocrite.

Are you trying to say that our subjective thoughts are nothing to do with the brain? That sounds like what you are saying, and it sounds very irrational to me.

More ignorance from the all-knowing materialist oracle. No, they've done double-blind studies of acupuncture and there is something goinf on besides the placebo effect. Acupucnture is based upon chinese medicince which deals with 'chi' (a tyoe of energy). The question is, if there is nothing to these eastern systems of medicine that have to do with energy centers in the body then why were they able to come up with effect therapies based upon these conceptual models that have been proven by western science to be effective?

Of course, recent scientific studies have hinted at tentative evidence that acupuncture might provide limited pain relief, but this is still far from proved and many other studies have shown that acupuncture is nothing more than a placebo.

Hardly conclusive, is it? Stop exaggerating your new-age bullshit.

But you are not a meditator of either category - that's the reason why your opinion on this doesn't amount to shit.

But there are atheist/non-mystics who practice meditation religiously (pardon the pun), and I value their views on it much more than people who promote reincarnation and acupuncture and other stupid stuff.

Beleif has absolutely nothing to do with. It has to do with what one direclty perceives during meditative states.

And if they are experiencing anything, it is within limits of the material brain. To suggest that it has nothing to do with the brain is very irrational.

You said you are right "100% of the time when it comes to religion."

That means religious claims. ie. If you ask me if the paranormal aspects to religion and mysticism are correct, I can say 'No' every time, and there is a pretty good chance that I will have a 100% ratio of being correct. That is a lot of superstitious/supernatural claims to put to me, so you better get started ;)

Of course he was questioned. Have you personally yet taken the time to look at one of the cases he investigated?

Not especially no. But due to my understanding of how science works, if there was anything extravagant it would make it's mark on science. It appears that reincarnation has made no mark beyond a very small and suspicious group.

As for the cases that I am aware of, I have no answers for them. But just like when a psychic has it's rare moments of extraordinary accuracy, I am safe in the knowledge that there is always a reasonable explanation for it. It's when Occam's Razor comes in handy.

Why would you do that? You don't have these memories. Go ahead and do it if you think it will accomplish something.

I don't have his memories. It would make me a fraud, but people believe frauds all the time and there are no shortage of frauds in the paranormal industry.

Really? There's alot of people in Virginia that want to believe in reincarnation?

There are a lot of people worldwide who believe in reincarnation. This is not in proportion with the evidence it has.

Of what do you think these cases consist? A few superficial coincidences? No, these kids spontaneoulsy start making these claims and when it is objectively investigated they appear to know things about the person they were that there is plain and simply no easy way of dismissing.

Well I'm almost tempted to read the book, but 'reincarnated' children repeating names of family members and how they died does not impress me. I don't think anybody can guarantee that both families involved did not conspire to paint a picture of reincarnation which the child felt obliged to go along with. To do such a thing would take a lot of work, which could explain the rarity of '20 cases of suggestive reincartion'. But at least that could be one of possibly many reasonable explanations, rather than jumping to the grand and impossible conclusion of reincarnation.

Seeing how no children today are saying they wrote a book on reincarnation says a lot, I think ;)

Well thats a pretty extraordinary claim for you to make that he dind't provide extraordinary evidence since you didnt look at his evidence.

If he did have extraordinary evidence then he'd be more well known in peer reviewed science. At least that is why I assume he never even made it to the fringes of peer reviewed science. So in the end, it doesn't matter what I think of it, he hasn't convinced science... and I think that says a lot.

But you didn't look at the evidence. You are just taking someones word on authority. They have a word for that: faith.

Taking peer reviewed science for it's word is anything but faith - it is a proven procedure and probably the best tool for knowledge man has created.

It WAS a high stakes claim in ancient times...

The claim itself wasn't high stakes. Presenting the claim to Theistical audience was.

how could it retard your potential? That doesn't make sense...people can believe all types of strange things and still be very very instlligent, able to comprehend, learn, etc...This is the typical atheistic propaganda...

It can keep you from being exposed to truth, wanting to investigate truth, or having the knowledge to understand it.

What? That doesn't make sense, the clone would also have a soul...

You mean cloning the physical produces a soul?0

Yeah I agree...so whats the point? After the death of the body, how can the soul effect anyone besides in ways that effect their thoughts (causing dreams, thoughts, etc...)?

Well, a soul appears to have quite a bit of control over 'physical' reality... so why couldn't it share a body with someone and type up an email? Why couldn't it reach out and control something else in the environment? Pencils, chalk, tape recorders, you name it?

If that's too difficult for you to deal with then remove a part of your brain that lights up when you remember some specific event... and try to remember it again. If you can, then you have proven that the memory is stored somewhere else.

No thats a reason, the reason a physicist can believe the MWI is true is because it really can be true and agrees with their rationality...

I am not aware of any physicists whom claim that MWI is fact.

No I'm not, I'm the opposite, I constantly stated that the truth is the truth with or without evidence, hope, belief, etc...

Wrong interpretation of what I wrote. Perhaps I should have communicated it as "thats what you think I think".

Well if that happened then I would have to get a detailed explanation, then if it agreed with my personal rationality I would accept it...

What if that came to pass and after you killed, you found it it was all bs?

Why is this? If God is within you, the cause of reality, why would you say that it's false?

If its some generic 'God' then you nor I know anything about it. The moment someone claims details about what a 'God' did, what it 'said', etc. is the moment that 'God' becomes falsifiable... and to date all details (at least from known religions) concerning 'God' are loaded with many assertions proven false by scientific knowledge and many contradictions (and we know that reality does not support contradiction).

No, I would prefer you choose something else concretely measurable that doesn't deal with people...

How about praying a 10x10 block of wood into a 10x10 block of diamond? You can give it to the poor when you're done with it.

Because the truth exists regardless of what you believe, if you have hope, what the evidence shows, etc...

Do you have hope?

More ignorance from the all-knowing materialist oracle. No, they've done double-blind studies of acupuncture and there is something goinf on besides the placebo effect. Acupucnture is based upon chinese medicince which deals with 'chi' (a tyoe of energy). The question is, if there is nothing to these eastern systems of medicine that have to do with energy centers in the body then why were they able to come up with effect therapies based upon these conceptual models that have been proven by western science to be effective?
Most of the acupuncture studies I have read produced no results. I did read about one with results not explained by the placebo effect where there was some very limited pain relief - however it was irrelevant where the needles were placed. There may be something to acupuncture but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with energy flows, chi or other ancient beliefs.

Crunchy Cat

atheistic scientists are almost on par with bad poets in the sense that they have a strong reserve of confidence

Now that its out of your system, let me know if science destroyed your hope, would you (as a human) just give up?
I have already answered this about three times in a row already - maybe I should turn it back on you now

if the futility of the stance of atheism gets quashed by something, what of you?

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
and you do?

Nope and I have a really good visibility into computer science and biotechnology. I can certainly follow the patterns and make reasonable predictions.
more post dated cheques
:rolleyes:

no they would change their belief
it happens all the time - a christian becomes a muslim, a muslim becomes a christian, a jew becomes an atheist, an atheist becomes a christian etc etc

world still seems to go on

What do you think would happen if there were no alternatives available?
you mean if there was no opportunity to be atheistic, jewish, christian or muslim?

Crunchy Cat

I have already answered this about three times in a row already - maybe I should turn it back on you now

You mean these answers?

1) You fall off the apple cart.
2) If I could create life from matter you would throw in the towel.
3) Boy you fuckers sure have alot of confidence... you fuckers.

For someone whom gives endless thought to epistemology, you sure are giving me rather 'surface' responses (hence the re-querying). Think a little deeper, put that brain of yours to work and model the scenario in your mind.

if the futility of the stance of atheism gets quashed by something, what of you?

It's not an 'if' question. Atheism 'is' a futile stance against human nature; allthough, the only way to squash it technically is for Thiesm to be proven true, in which case I would be immensly surprised, accept it, and ask a whole lot of questions about its rather poor performance.

more post dated cheques
:rolleyes:

I don't claim to know the future. I do claim to have alot more visibility into these fields and I claim to be able to recognize patterns.

you mean if there was no opportunity to be atheistic, jewish, christian or muslim?

Yep.

Last edited:
Crunchy Cat

You mean these answers?

1) You fall off the apple cart.
2) If I could create life from matter you would throw in the towel.
3) Boy you fuckers sure have alot of confidence... you fuckers.

For someone whom gives endless thought to epistemology, you sure are giving me rather 'surface' responses (hence the re-querying). Think a little deeper, put that brain of yours to work and model the scenario in your mind.
(sigh) there are foundations for all knowledge - if these foundations get upturned then the people who advocate them go with it - some people's foundation for understanding god lies in having a trauma free material life (thus the experience of trauma is sufficient to upset their world view), for others, myself included, it lies in certain philosophical foundations, such as the living entity being completely dependent on god in all states of liberated or conditioned life (thus the prospect of abiogenesis is a fertile imagination)

perhaps for an atheist the foundation for their knowledge is that there is no life after death - if that foundation gets upturned (like say a few moments after they die) they will most likely readapt their world view (or adopt a state of insanity)

It's not an 'if' question. Atheism 'is' a futile stance against human nature; allthough, the only way to squash it technically is for Thiesm to be proven true, in which case I would be immensly surprised, accept it, and ask a whole lot of questions about its rather poor performance.
so there you go - between the lips and teacup many things can happen
;)

more post dated cheques

I don't claim to know the future. I do claim to have alot more visibility into these fields and I claim to be able to recognize patterns.
wisdom by hindsight is not such a rare achievement

Yep.
maybe something like animal society then?

Many times when I fall asleep with the TV switched on, as I'm asleep I swear I can SEE the TV, but my eyes are shut. I can obviously hear the TV in my sleep, and associate images in my head based on my situation and what I'm hearing. And this is when I am merely asleep.

You can't dismiss the evidence that easily. Being asleep and clinically dead (no brain activity for dreams) are completely different things. I mean this could be evidence of an afterlife.

And if you think perfhaps when the patient started to have brain activity, the brain started doing "trippy things," that doesn't fit in with the timeline.

You can arrange for people to have oobes, (typical NDE occurrences):

'By deliberately scrambling a person's visual and tactile senses, it is now possible to give them an "out-of-body" experience.

Two procedures – which are the first to imitate an out-of-body experience artificially – use cameras to fool people into thinking they are standing or sitting somewhere else in a room. They provide the strongest proof yet that people only imagine floating out of their bodies during surgery or near-death experiences.

"The brain can trick itself, and when it is trying to interpret sensory information, the image it produces doesn't have to be a real representation," says Henrik Ehrsson, of the Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK, who designed the first experiment.

Near death and clinically dead are two different things....

Sure the brain can trick itself...yada yada...the thing is when the patient was literally dead, she precisely observed the procedure.

What a lame reply. It'd be easier if you just look at a picture of a brain and understand that this is what holds all our memories, emotions, thought processes, biological functions... everything. Patterns of neurons firing here and there to get different results. It's anything but metaphysical - It's about as material as it gets... hence why it's know as the most complicated object in the known universe.
If thoughts are physical how come they have no physical characterisitcs. Another way of putting this is there is nothing from investigating the material brain that would lead one to be able to show in any way shape or form that it produces thoughts. The only way we know that it does is through direct experience.

Didn't you just answer that for me?

"Yes, certain areas of brain are more active."
If you activate certain brain areas a person is more likely to have certain mental experiences. The reverse is alos true, certain mental experiences are likely to make certain brain areas more active. It's atwo way street that proves nothing about the brain being material. (note: the areas of the brain more active during meditation is the prefrontal cortex (the seat of higher functions, what separates us from animals). So, doesn't that give you an indication that people are seeing things more realistically while meditating?

Are you trying to say that our subjective thoughts are nothing to do with the brain? That sounds like what you are saying, and it sounds very irrational to me.
There is a connection between conscious thought and brain, but it is a two way street. What are you saying, that consciousness is a propery of brains like heat is a property?

Of course, recent scientific studies have hinted at tentative evidence that acupuncture might provide limited pain relief, but this is still far from proved and many other studies have shown that acupuncture is nothing more than a placebo.

Hardly conclusive, is it? Stop exaggerating your new-age bullshit.
DId I say it is conclusive? I said there is evidence. And it is more than "hinted at tentative," it's legitimate science. Stop dismissing science just becasue doesn't fit in with your worldview - it's no different when you do it than when a Christian dismisses evolution.

But there are atheist/non-mystics who practice meditation religiously (pardon the pun), and I value their views on it much more than people who promote reincarnation and acupuncture and other stupid stuff.
But I am showing why reincarnation and accupuncture are not as "stupid" as you are assuming. Here is Carl Sagan on reincarnation: "At the time of writing there are three claims in the ESP field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study:...(3) that young children sometimes report the details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any way other than reincarnation. I pick these claims not because I think they're likely to be valid (I don't), but as examples of contentions that might be true." I'm just suggesting that Sagan is a pretty sceptical guy, right? Maybe these things aren't "stupid."

And if they are experiencing anything, it is within limits of the material brain. To suggest that it has nothing to do with the brain is very irrational.
No, this is just you making arbitrary metaphysical assertions that don't have scientifc evidence to back it up.

That means religious claims. ie. If you ask me if the paranormal aspects to religion and mysticism are correct, I can say 'No' every time, and there is a pretty good chance that I will have a 100% ratio of being correct. That is a lot of superstitious/supernatural claims to put to me, so you better get started ;)
No, this is just you taking your opinion to be truth. It's no different than someone saying the Bible is 100% true. Stating your opinions as fact does not make it so.

As for the cases that I am aware of, I have no answers for them. But just like when a psychic has it's rare moments of extraordinary accuracy, I am safe in the knowledge that there is always a reasonable explanation for it. It's when Occam's Razor comes in handy.
Occam's razor states that all things being equal the simplest solution is the one most likely to be true. What you are siggesting is that a massive conspiracy has taken place instead.

There are a lot of people worldwide who believe in reincarnation. This is not in proportion with the evidence it has.
We are talking about whether or not there is evidence. There is.

Well I'm almost tempted to read the book, but 'reincarnated' children repeating names of family members and how they died does not impress me.
Its alittle more involved than that.

I don't think anybody can guarantee that both families involved did not conspire to paint a picture of reincarnation which the child felt obliged to go along with. To do such a thing would take a lot of work, which could explain the rarity of '20 cases of suggestive reincartion'. But at least that could be one of possibly many reasonable explanations, rather than jumping to the grand and impossible conclusion of reincarnation.
Here's what a Washington post journalist had to say on it: "In scores of cases around the world, multiple witnesses confirm that children have spontaneously supplied names of towns and relatives, occupations and relationships, attitudes and emotions that pinpointed a single, dead individual -- often apparently unknown to their present families. Trying to make sense of these cases is what has involved Stevenson for almost 40 years. It is what we have been doing in Lebanon and India: examining records, interviewing witnesses and measuring the results against possible alternative explanations...
If Stevenson is largely ignored by his mainstream peers, in some circles he is a scientific legend. His dogged collection of cases -- closing in on 3,000 now -- his meticulous documentation and cross-checking, his prodigious and scholarly publication have made him a hero to many people who would like respectable reasons to distrust the radical materialism of Western science. For his own part, Stevenson has reached this conclusion: "I think a rational person, if he wants, can believe in reincarnation on the basis of evidence."

If he did have extraordinary evidence then he'd be more well known in peer reviewed science. At least that is why I assume he never even made it to the fringes of peer reviewed science. So in the end, it doesn't matter what I think of it, he hasn't convinced science... and I think that says a lot.
He has been published in peer-reviewed journals. Science is a method, not some monolithic body that gets convinced or not. The way you talk about "science" is the same way people in the middle ages talked about "the church."

Taking peer reviewed science for it's word is anything but faith - it is a proven procedure and probably the best tool for knowledge man has created.
Right, that's my exact point. You haven't looked at the peer-reviewd science. Stevenson was published in peer-reviewed journals. Yet you hypocritically dimiss this as "stupid" despite the fact that it falls under "the best tool for knowledge man has created." In other words, you only accept science that fits in with your worldview. You are no different than Christians that dismiss evolution, and you are a hypocrite.

Near death and clinically dead are two different things....

Yeah, thanks for that..

the thing is when the patient was literally dead, she precisely observed the procedure.

If the brain was "literally dead" then the hippocampus would not work and thus she would have no memory of the event. The fact that she remembers what she experienced shows that the hippocampus was still functioning - and thus, she was not "literally dead".

Yeah, thanks for that..

If the brain was "literally dead" then the hippocampus would not work and thus she would have no memory of the event. The fact that she remembers what she experienced shows that the hippocampus was still functioning - and thus, she was not "literally dead".

That's a flawed scientific answer because the conclusion conflicts with the facts that she was dead (no brain waves or blood flow) AND does remember the event. Since she was dead, her hippocampus could not be functioning. Her remembering the event is not evidence that it was.

If it is possible to remember something when you are dead, then that is beyond the current means of science's explanation because it is in the paranormal realm, which is what we are trying to discover here.

If you believe the account, then we must consider this as evidence to be tested. (hehe)

If you don't believe the account, then the only explanation is that the devices failed, or the doctors failed to read the instruments correctly...and she was not dead.

You can't dismiss the evidence that easily. Being asleep and clinically dead (no brain activity for dreams) are completely different things. I mean this could be evidence of an afterlife.

I am saying that the brain can trick us into having very vivid dreams or hallucinations and we can mistake them as being real. That means that all NDE's are patently falsifiable. There can be no evidence that the hallucination of NDE's described by people take place when the brain is actually 'clinically dead' or on the epoch of being 'clinically dead'.

And if you think perfhaps when the patient started to have brain activity, the brain started doing "trippy things," that doesn't fit in with the timeline.

Did the patient merely state he had an NDE at a certain time?

If thoughts are physical how come they have no physical characterisitcs. Another way of putting this is there is nothing from investigating the material brain that would lead one to be able to show in any way shape or form that it produces thoughts. The only way we know that it does is through direct experience.

What you are talking about his how information is transmitted between cells. And if you still think it's metaphysical after reading the following link, then there is something seriously wrong with your logic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential

If you activate certain brain areas a person is more likely to have certain mental experiences. The reverse is alos true, certain mental experiences are likely to make certain brain areas more active.

That sounds like circular logic to me. If the brain causes mental experiences, then saying that mental experiences cause brain activity doesn't make any point of being immaterial. There are many brain activities that 'fire' and as a result, cause brain activity elsewhere.

proves nothing about the brain being material.

Now you're just not making any sense. I assume you are referring to brain functions rather than the brain itself. In either case, it is irrational beyond words.

(note: the areas of the brain more active during meditation is the prefrontal cortex (the seat of higher functions, what separates us from animals). So, doesn't that give you an indication that people are seeing things more realistically while meditating?

Well your use of the word 'realistically' is very vague. It also doesn't serve to make a point since higher order brain functions also lead us towards irrational practices such as religion, astrology, etc.

There is a connection between conscious thought and brain, but it is a two way street. What are you saying, that consciousness is a propery of brains like heat is a property?

I don't even know what you mean by that - I can not see your point here. My definition of consciousness is that it is an emergent property of the brain which draws upon many different functions of the brain. ie. Sensory awareness, emotions, memory, personality and pretty much all parts of the brain contributes a part of we call consciousness.

But all brain functions are emergent - not just consciousness. There is no single neuron in the brain that on it's own can tell your heart to beat, or give you a memory or an emotion.

DId I say it is conclusive? I said there is evidence. And it is more than "hinted at tentative," it's legitimate science. Stop dismissing science just becasue doesn't fit in with your worldview - it's no different when you do it than when a Christian dismisses evolution.

It barely qualifies of evidence, and since the majority of studies show it to be nothing more than a placebo, I think it's clear that Acupuncture is just that.

But I am showing why reincarnation and accupuncture are not as "stupid" as you are assuming. Here is Carl Sagan on reincarnation: "At the time of writing there are three claims in the ESP field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study:...(3) that young children sometimes report the details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any way other than reincarnation. I pick these claims not because I think they're likely to be valid (I don't), but as examples of contentions that might be true." I'm just suggesting that Sagan is a pretty sceptical guy, right? Maybe these things aren't "stupid."

Acupuncture is already disproved comprehensively. As for reincarnation, there may be cases that require study to come to a conclusion, but if there is no conclusion to be made, it is not evidence for reincarnation. I could just as easily call it evidence of a conspiracy - the more plausible scenario.

No, this is just you making arbitrary metaphysical assertions that don't have scientifc evidence to back it up.

You have completely lost your way on this subject. Nothing you have said has made any sense, and you have yet again contradicted yourself.

You stated that meditation uses areas of the prefrontal cortex and at the same time claim meditation experience to be non-physical? And you are saying I am making arbitrary metaphysical assertions?!

No, this is just you taking your opinion to be truth. It's no different than someone saying the Bible is 100% true. Stating your opinions as fact does not make it so.

The part in bold is correct (the rest is just deliberate twisting of my words on your part), but logic and critical thinking will get you very far in determining the likelihood of metaphysical claims, miracles etc.

Occam's razor states that all things being equal the simplest solution is the one most likely to be true. What you are siggesting is that a massive conspiracy has taken place instead

So are you suggesting that reincarnation is more likely than a conspiracy between two families? Sounds like a retarded use of Occam's Razor to me...

We are talking about whether or not there is evidence. There is.

If you qualify this as evidence for the supernatural... Then there is also evidence for ghosts, aliens visiting earth, etc. But isn't it interesting that for all this 'evidence', we are no closer to determining the actual existence of the object of these extravagant claims?

Here's what a Washington post journalist had to say on it: "In scores of cases around the world, multiple witnesses confirm that children have spontaneously supplied names of towns and relatives, occupations and relationships, attitudes and emotions that pinpointed a single, dead individual -- often apparently unknown to their present families. Trying to make sense of these cases is what has involved Stevenson for almost 40 years. It is what we have been doing in Lebanon and India: examining records, interviewing witnesses and measuring the results against possible alternative explanations...
If Stevenson is largely ignored by his mainstream peers, in some circles he is a scientific legend. His dogged collection of cases -- closing in on 3,000 now -- his meticulous documentation and cross-checking, his prodigious and scholarly publication have made him a hero to many people who would like respectable reasons to distrust the radical materialism of Western science. For his own part, Stevenson has reached this conclusion: "I think a rational person, if he wants, can believe in reincarnation on the basis of evidence."

So he his fundamentally basing his evidence on eye witness testimony that the child 'spontaneously' came out with accurate information on a dead person he is reincarnated as? His methodology may be - in a way - very scientifc, but eye witness testimony relating to a metaphysical matter is surely not science.

He has been published in peer-reviewed journals. Science is a method, not some monolithic body that gets convinced or not. The way you talk about "science" is the same way people in the middle ages talked about "the church."

Right, that's my exact point. You haven't looked at the peer-reviewd science. Stevenson was published in peer-reviewed journals. Yet you hypocritically dimiss this as "stupid" despite the fact that it falls under "the best tool for knowledge man has created." In other words, you only accept science that fits in with your worldview. You are no different than Christians that dismiss evolution, and you are a hypocrite.

That is not what I meant. What I meant was that his findings never amounted to conclusion via scientific peer review. Needless to say, his findings were inconclusive.

That sounds like circular logic to me. If the brain causes mental experiences,
No, there is an associtaion between physical bain states and subjectively reported mind states. Which is to say that the mind could be casing changes in the brain rather than the nrain casuing specific occurnces in the mind.

then saying that mental experiences cause brain activity doesn't make any point of being immaterial.
Nice try at sleigh-of-hand. The point is that mind causes brain states, not simply that brain causes mind states. You have yet to explain why thoughts and consciousness have no physocal characteristics. You have yet to explain why there is nothing about examining a physical brain could conclude one that it causes mental phenomenon, the only way we know that it does is through subjective experience.

Now you're just not making any sense. I assume you are referring to brain functions rather than the brain itself. In either case, it is irrational beyond words.
How so? Stop stating your opinion as fact and expecting people to believe you, you are not a priest, and this is not an evangelical church.

Well your use of the word 'realistically' is very vague. It also doesn't serve to make a point since higher order brain functions also lead us towards irrational practices such as religion, astrology, etc.
It's just your opinion that those things are irrational. Stop stating your opinion as fact. You stating your opinion htat all religion is nonsense is no more rational than a preacher exclaiming that the Bible is the Word of God.

I don't even know what you mean by that - I can not see your point here. My definition of consciousness is that it is an emergent property of the brain which draws upon many different functions of the brain. ie. Sensory awareness, emotions, memory, personality and pretty much all parts of the brain contributes a part of we call consciousness.
There is absolutely zero scientific evidence supporting this. It has as much science backing it as intelligent design. If you disagree with me don't bother arguing - just post something from a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

But all brain functions are emergent - not just consciousness. There is no single neuron in the brain that on it's own can tell your heart to beat, or give you a memory or an emotion.
You have yet to demonstrate that any are emmergent.

It barely qualifies of evidence, and since the majority of studies show it to be nothing more than a placebo, I think it's clear that Acupuncture is just that.
No , its not just palcebo. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4493011.stm

Acupuncture is already disproved comprehensively.
No it hasn't.]

As for reincarnation, there may be cases that require study to come to a conclusion, but if there is no conclusion to be made, it is not evidence for reincarnation. I could just as easily call it evidence of a conspiracy - the more plausible scenario.
You still haven't looked at the evidence. Your opinion means shit.

You stated that meditation uses areas of the prefrontal cortex and at the same time claim meditation experience to be non-physical? And you are saying I am making arbitrary metaphysical assertions?!
No, meditation is associated with activity in the prefrontal cortex. This does not prove anything about materialsim. If you think it does, explain how.

So are you suggesting that reincarnation is more likely than a conspiracy between two families? Sounds like a retarded use of Occam's Razor to me...
No, I'm suggesting that you first look at the actual evidence instead of coming up with your infnatile little conspriacy theories and misuse of the term occam's razor.

If you qualify this as evidence for the supernatural... Then there is also evidence for ghosts, aliens visiting earth, etc. But isn't it interesting that for all this 'evidence', we are no closer to determining the actual existence of the object of these extravagant claims?
The fact that you haven't bothered to look for yourself at the evidence under question says it all.

So he his fundamentally basing his evidence on eye witness testimony that the child 'spontaneously' came out with accurate information on a dead person he is reincarnated as? His methodology may be - in a way - very scientifc, but eye witness testimony relating to a metaphysical matter is surely not science.
It is science. It's published in peer-reviewed journals. Are you personally going to start redefining what is and isn't science now based in your personal uninformed predilections? And again, you haven't taken a look at the methodology he used but think you are in aposition to mkae pronouncemnts about them? It's ridiculous.

That is not what I meant. What I meant was that his findings never amounted to conclusion via scientific peer review. Needless to say, his findings were inconclusive.
This coming from someone who hasn't looked at the evidence. Your opinion means shit.
And the exact quote of what you said is "Taking peer reviewed science for it's word is anything but faith - it is a proven procedure and probably the best tool for knowledge man has created." It's pretty unambiguous. Don't try and backtrack now, it's intellectually dishonest.

Yes, in the NDE under discussion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Reynolds'_NDE), the patient was as dead as dead can be.

Here's the thing:

All part 1 of that is while she's alive - her brain is functioning. The hearing of doctors etc does happen when one is alive, and the claim to seeing certain surgery equipment was most likely memory. I have never ever seen or heard of an operation where they decide to get the required tools well after the patients arrival. It is quite standard procedure to have the equipment ready for the patient before an operation begins. The very thing listed on that wiki page is: "Reynolds is brought into the operating room, still awake". If she happens to see a nurse or doctor preparing tools, the very 'oddness' of one of these tools would be remembered by her and recalled later, (it's what happens with dreams).

So now we move on to the second part when she is dead. This is where the problem lies:
While they can technically establish what part of the procedure they were at during certain events, (hearing doctors speak), how does anyone go about establishing at what exact moment she saw her grandpa? In saying, who is to say she was dead?

You can dream an entire novel in a few minutes, and it is impossible here to judge that she was actually dead when she had her dream - but instead went through the dream during the time between being given the potassium and actually dying.

The main problem is that she remembers the events. In saying, the brain must have been functioning while those events occurred otherwise she wouldn't remember them - unless of course one decides to get all twilight zone and suggest that the dead remember things - in which case it's going to be an issue for everyone. Knowledge of being dead in a box while a worm crawls up your rectum? Doesn't sound too good.

That's a flawed scientific answer because the conclusion conflicts with the facts that she was dead (no brain waves or blood flow) AND does remember the event.

Not really given certain things mentioned above - namely that it would have to be established at what precise moment she had her dream. While you can establish that it was 11:25 or whatever when the nurse said: "hey, this thing doesn't fit", how do you establish a precise moment that this woman saw her grandpa?

Her remembering the event is not evidence that it was.

Unfortunately it is, unless one decides to get all woo-woo.

If you don't believe the account, then the only explanation is that the devices failed, or the doctors failed to read the instruments correctly...and she was not dead.

Or she saw grandpa Joe and uncle Bob between the potassium and death - but was not dead when seeing them. Can the doctors confirm at what exact moment she saw Joe and Bob?

Further to which, further down the wiki page it states:

"EEG monitoring is not 100% reliable. Sometimes the brain has activity that is not registered by the equipment".

It then states:

"She may have had the claimed experiences before or after the standstill, when she was merely under general anesthesia and the brain was still active." (which is my argument).

and then:

"Proponents have generally misrepresented the amount of time which Reynolds was flatlined: the actual surgical timeline suggests that her brain stem activity was fully flatlined for a period of only five to six minutes at most, and there is no evidence that she retained memories or experiences during this particular period, as opposed to the rest of the several-hours long surgery."

The fact that she remembers poses a distinct problem, (unless we get all woo-woo)

1) Well, your argument basically boils down to this if I'm not mistaken: she had a dream. My question is this, why does her experience not fit what we would expect of a dream - dreams are very unsatble - such as one minute your talking to one person and the next second they are someone else, you are talking to your sister anne but she looks like your brother, you are greeted by your dead unlce but later realize your uncle isn't dead at all. There are none of the instabilities or internal inconsistencies that are the hallmarks of dreams or hallucinations. If NDEs really are just biological productions due to the brain being starved of oxygen then we should expect that they happen equally to sceptics and believers alike. How come no sceptics have ever had an NDE and come back and said "you know what, it's all bullshit." Instead, people that have NDES seem to view them as valid experiences and the NDEs do not have any of the inconsistenciies of dream,s or hallucinations. (http://www.esalenctr.org/display/confpage.cfm?confid=3&pageid=22&pgtype=1)
2) Do surgeons really let patients see the saws they are going to use to hack into their heads before the operation?
3) How did she know what the nurses were saying about her veins being too small?

My question is this, why does her experience not fit what we would expect of a dream - dreams are very unsatble - such as one minute your talking to one person and the next second they are someone else, you are talking to your sister anne but she looks like your brother, you are greeted by your dead unlce but later realize your uncle isn't dead at all.

A) Her 'experience' does generally fit with dreams one has in a time of trauma or near death. It's like those that are about to be hit by a bus have a similar experience of life flashing before their eyes. It doesn't signify that they are travelling through the past looking at all the things they did, but that the brain is recalling memories. The reason for that seems quite apparent.. Better to die with good thoughts than with the full knowledge that you're just about to be squashed by a bus. This is because the brain registers something before you become consciously aware of it.

B) This varies. I have had many such dreams where one minute I'm doing it with some hot chick and the next she's a different hot chick and I'm being chased by zombies - however, not all dreams are like that. I have dreamt entire very realistic and logically formatted dreams. We would need to ascertain why and when this difference occurs. I have noted in the past that I tended to have more logically formatted dreams whenever I was really relaxed, (after listening to some dolphin sounds or something), as opposed to alcohol fuelled sleep.

On the surface we might say that this woman couldn't have been 'relaxed' because she had a drill lodged in her head, but ultimately I would say she was in as relaxed a state as one can get, (they dropped her body temperature etc).

There are none of the instabilities or internal inconsistencies that are the hallmarks of dreams or hallucinations. If NDEs really are just biological productions due to the brain being starved of oxygen then we should expect that they happen equally to sceptics and believers alike. How come no sceptics have ever had an NDE and come back and said "you know what, it's all bullshit."

People in such positions are undoubtedly thrown by the experience. While I wouldn't generally assert that 'there are no atheists in foxholes', theists do and would surely consider that as pertinent in such cases? I will acknowledge however that there aren't many atheists in foxholes.

Of course having said that, doctor induced oobe volunteers must recognise that it is "bullshit" because it's a doctor induced experiment, not an actual out of body experience, (I refer to the science article I posted). I don't quite know if that would make the tabloids: "Volunteer says oobes are bullshit", but that doesn't indicate that they're not.

2) Do surgeons really let patients see the saws they are going to use to hack into their heads before the operation?

Technically they shouldn't. When I had my appendix out I saw everything they were going to use, heard them discuss procedure and they even stripped me nude and looked at my pinky while I was awake.

The thing is that there will come a time when you're not supposed to be conscious or very close to being unconcious where these tools will be handled. If the brain registers it that's enough.

3) How did she know what the nurses were saying about her veins being too small?

Ears?

Ok, after being given anaesthetic you're not supposed to remember events - that function is blocked and this is where the interest lies. But of course we're all different - For instance when I had a filling they gave me 7 injections in the gum all of which did nothing even though the drug is specifically intended to numb the area around it. Indeed if some time is spent looking at information concerning anaesthetics you'll often see the statement: "most people don't remember.." and there's many instances of anaesthetic not working as it should.

B) This varies. I have had many such dreams where one minute I'm doing it with some hot chick and the next she's a different hot chick and I'm being chased by zombies - however, not all dreams are like that. I have dreamt entire very realistic and logically formatted dreams. We would need to ascertain why and when this difference occurs. I have noted in the past that I tended to have more logically formatted dreams whenever I was really relaxed, (after listening to some dolphin sounds or something), as opposed to alcohol fuelled sleep.

On the surface we might say that this woman couldn't have been 'relaxed' because she had a drill lodged in her head, but ultimately I would say she was in as relaxed a state as one can get, (they dropped her body temperature etc).
You claim to have logical dreams. I'm sceptical of this, but since we have no way of objectively observing anothers subjective experience I can't out right say that you don't. You now appear to be saying: She was having a dream experience. It was logical because she was relaxed. My counterpoint to this would be that her experience closely matches other peoples NDEs even though they weren't anaesthesized, are we to assume they we're relaxed as well? Are we then to assume that anytime anyone is in "trauma or near death" they are in a relaxed state? That hardly seems likely to me.

People in such positions are undoubtedly thrown by the experience.
Which doesn't mesh well with the "relaxed state/logical dream" hypothesis.
While I wouldn't generally assert that 'there are no atheists in foxholes', theists do and would surely consider that as pertinent in such cases? I will acknowledge however that there aren't many atheists in foxholes.
For what it's worth I know "foxhole atheists."
Of course having said that, doctor induced oobe volunteers must recognise that it is "bullshit" because it's a doctor induced experiment, not an actual out of body experience, (I refer to the science article I posted). I don't quite know if that would make the tabloids: "Volunteer says oobes are bullshit", but that doesn't indicate that they're not.
What my point is is that one argument against is NDEs is that they are an epiphenomenon of the brain being starved of oxygen. If that is the case we would expect them to happen to sceptics and believers equally. And if that is the case we would expect reports from sceptics that have had these experiences, critically analyze them, find them flawed, and proclaim them bullshit after having themselves had the experience. This doesn't seem to happen though, people seem to regard the experience as authentic after having it, and if it is biological that means sceptics are just as likely to have it.

Technically they shouldn't. When I had my appendix out I saw everything they were going to use, heard them discuss procedure and they even stripped me nude and looked at my pinky while I was awake.

The thing is that there will come a time when you're not supposed to be conscious or very close to being unconcious where these tools will be handled. If the brain registers it that's enough.
You seem to be saying as a rule of thumb the patient will not see the operating tools though, right?

Ears?

Ok, after being given anaesthetic you're not supposed to remember events - that function is blocked and this is where the interest lies. But of course we're all different - For instance when I had a filling they gave me 7 injections in the gum all of which did nothing even though the drug is specifically intended to numb the area around it. Indeed if some time is spent looking at information concerning anaesthetics you'll often see the statement: "most people don't remember.." and there's many instances of anaesthetic not working as it should.
So she was on the anaesthetic, with her ears plugged, having a "logical dream" and she heard the nurses make this comment about her veins even though she shouldn't be conscious at all because she was technically dead with all the blood drained from her brain? She had seen the drill before the operation even though thats not standard procedure, she then forgot she saw the drill and during her "logical dream" due to her "relaxed state" caused by the anaethesia she saw the drill even though she's not supposed to be experiencing any thing at all because she is tecnically dead and has had the blood drained from her brain. The doctor hid the fact that she had seen the drill and put his professional reputation on the line by writing a book claiming she saw the drill while she was dead instead of just pointing out to her she had seen the drill before the operation. And that's the rational explanation of "what really happened"?

grover:

I'm going to draw a line under this now, because it's getting nowhere and taking up too much time.

Any function in the brain can not escape a physical manifestation. I am sure neuroscience consensus will back me up when I say that all brain functions are a result of a macroscopic interaction of electrical impulses along the billions of brain cells. I am sure they have a lot of evidence to back this up and as a basic, it will be irrational to point to any brain function and assume that there is no physical basis for it.

Acupuncture. The small amount of evidence you point to is evidence of something, but not what you think it is. Certainly not Tai Chi or any other BS like that.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

The above basically summarizes that limited pain relief from things such as acupuncture are the same as any other pain relief which can be observed in many other aspects of sensory hyper stimulation.

"the effectiveness of all of these forms of stimulation indicates that acupuncture is not a magical procedure but only one of many ways to produce analgesia [pain relief] by an intense sensory input."

* Acupuncture is an unproven modality of treatment.
* Its theory and practice are based on primitive and fanciful concepts of health and disease that bear no relationship to present scientific knowledge
* Research during the past 20 years has not demonstrated that acupuncture is effective against any disease.
* Perceived effects of acupuncture are probably due to a combination of expectation, suggestion, counter-irritation, conditioning, and other psychologic mechanisms.
* The use of acupuncture should be restricted to appropriate research settings,
* Insurance companies should not be required by law to cover acupuncture treatment,
* Licensure of lay acupuncturists should be phased out.
* Consumers who wish to try acupuncture should discuss their situation with a knowledgeable physician who has no commercial interest [20].

The problem with asserting acupuncture works because of vague words like 'chi' is akin to saying Homaeopathy works because water has one molecule of something or other. This is unverifiable unless there is a way of showing these 'chi energies' exist and are measurable.

The above url and most other scientific studies on this, and other standard medicine practices make use of already understood biology which makes it a relevant scientific hypothesis (where chi fails), and these have been proven effective today. This is consistent with materialism unless you can prove that chi doesn't contradict materialism.

Reincarnation: No matter how much I read about the so called evidence for this, it will never change the fact that the evidence was extracted fundamentally from eye witness testimony.

And to summarize: You are saying there is evidence of the supernatural, when despite the fact I may be ignorant to the minute details of these cases, scientific consensus by and large agrees with me. I said 'peer reviewed' last time, but that is only the early stages of a scientific concept - among the latter stages of the scientific procedure comes consensus. After science has reached consensus, if the evidence is deemed good by consensus, it reaches the classrooms.

So name me one thing that is paranormal, mystical, supernatural, metaphysical etc. which is taught in a legitimate science classroom.

grover:

I'm going to draw a line under this now, because it's getting nowhere and taking up too much time.

Any function in the brain can not escape a physical manifestation.
Brains are physical. Mind might not be.

I am sure neuroscience consensus will back me up when I say that all brain functions are a result of a macroscopic interaction of electrical impulses along the billions of brain cells. I am sure they have a lot of evidence to back this up and as a basic, it will be irrational to point to any brain function and assume that there is no physical basis for it.
You have yet to produce a single peer-reviewd article that backs this up.

Acupuncture. The small amount of evidence you point to is evidence of something, but not what you think it is. Certainly not Tai Chi or any other BS like that.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

The above basically summarizes that limited pain relief from things such as acupuncture are the same as any other pain relief which can be observed in many other aspects of sensory hyper stimulation.

"the effectiveness of all of these forms of stimulation indicates that acupuncture is not a magical procedure but only one of many ways to produce analgesia [pain relief] by an intense sensory input."

* Acupuncture is an unproven modality of treatment.
* Its theory and practice are based on primitive and fanciful concepts of health and disease that bear no relationship to present scientific knowledge
* Research during the past 20 years has not demonstrated that acupuncture is effective against any disease.
* Perceived effects of acupuncture are probably due to a combination of expectation, suggestion, counter-irritation, conditioning, and other psychologic mechanisms.
* The use of acupuncture should be restricted to appropriate research settings,
* Insurance companies should not be required by law to cover acupuncture treatment,
* Licensure of lay acupuncturists should be phased out.
* Consumers who wish to try acupuncture should discuss their situation with a knowledgeable physician who has no commercial interest [20].
Kenny, you and I can go back and forth all day about how much evidence there is. The simple fact is it works, there is evidence, it's not the placebo effect.

The problem with asserting acupuncture works because of vague words like 'chi' is akin to saying Homaeopathy works because water has one molecule of something or other. This is unverifiable unless there is a way of showing these 'chi energies' exist and are measurable.
My point in bringing up acupucnture was to demonstrate that it came out of these eastern conceptual systems of the body in which energies are postulated. They have built effective therapies on these systems, if it is really all just bullshit how come they work? It's knid of arrogant to dismiss these just because Western science is ignorant of them.

The above url and most other scientific studies on this, and other standard medicine practices make use of already understood biology which makes it a relevant scientific hypothesis (where chi fails), and these have been proven effective today. This is consistent with materialism unless you can prove that chi doesn't contradict materialism.
I'm not sure you are following the argument I am making. Eastern systems postulate the existence of energy in the body. They have created therapies based on this concept that have been shopwn by western science to be effective. Western science has only recently become aware that in the East they have these models of the body. It's not science to dismiss these things out of hand just becasue they don't fit in with your preconceived ideas about how the world works.
Reincarnation: No matter how much I read about the so called evidence for this, it will never change the fact that the evidence was extracted fundamentally from eye witness testimony.
You haven't read anything about it.
And to summarize: You are saying there is evidence of the supernatural, when despite the fact I may be ignorant to the minute details of these cases, scientific consensus by and large agrees with me. I said 'peer reviewed' last time, but that is only the early stages of a scientific concept - among the latter stages of the scientific procedure comes consensus. After science has reached consensus, if the evidence is deemed good by consensus, it reaches the classrooms.
Kenny don't try and back track. It's intellectually dishonest. You said: "Taking peer reviewed science for it's word is anything but faith - it is a proven procedure and probably the best tool for knowledge man has created." When I pointed out that Stevenson was published in peer-reviewed journals you tried to back track.

So name me one thing that is paranormal, mystical, supernatural, metaphysical etc. which is taught in a legitimate science classroom.
So now you are only going to accept as true things that are taught to children to prepare them for industrial society. That's quite a high standard you're setting for truth their Kenny.
Make up your mind. Which is the "best tool for knowledge"? Peer-reviewed science or childrens classroom? You've already backtracked on the peer-reviewd thing once it was pointed out to you that Stevenson was peer-reviewd. Are you going to backtrack on the classroom thing too if I find out that Stevenson's research is taught in classes. Or are you going to be really intellectually dishonest and try to redefine "legitmate" to mean "fits in with Kenny's narrow view of the world."

Back