To atheists: did you always lack faith in God?

You are an athiest because:

• Total voters
I officially declare myself an Atheist. @ 9:53pm John99 ahs officially become an Atheist, on this day in the year 2008, in the evening at this time i am an Atheist.

...JUST THE CONCEPT.
Ok. I get it. But the concept, like every other concept, gets old after several tens of thousands of years (or more) of contemplation and study, with only hearsay to support it.

Cultism is not "bad"; every real society is basically a cult. Of course it depends on what kind of cult that is, that makes it bad or good

I meant only the social unity and cultural conformity functions that religion provides. Otherwise not everyone will be conform and conformity is very important.

Not like robots but to a degree.
Ohhh...K. We'll just agree to disagree a bit on this one.

I officially declare myself an Atheist. @ 9:53pm John99 ahs officially become an Atheist, on this day in the year 2008, in the evening at this time i am an Atheist.
Good for you. Now what? :shrug:

(Or do we need to get you a big dictionary to wack yourself with?)

Ok. I get it. But the concept, like every other concept, gets old after several tens of thousands of years (or more) of contemplation and study, with only hearsay to support it.
The concept doesn't "get old" it just remains a concept. Fact of the matter is, our universe either was created or wasn't. Those are the only two options. Either it came to be without being intentionally created, or it was intentionally created. Neither are ridiculous ideas.

Ohhh...K. We'll just agree to disagree a bit on this one.

I don't think this is something you can disagree with. Society is inherently, by concept, rigid and intolerant, and religion helps, not to make it rigid or intolerant but to actually specify what structure it will have.

The concept doesn't "get old" it just remains a concept. Fact of the matter is, our universe either was created or wasn't. Those are the only two options. Either it came to be without being intentionally created, or it was intentionally created. Neither are ridiculous ideas.
Or it is temporally infinite.
3 options.

I don't think this is something you can disagree with. Society is inherently, by concept, rigid and intolerant, and religion helps, not to make it rigid or intolerant but to actually specify what structure it will have.

Then you'd be mistaken.
I think it's nonsense.

This I can 66.666...% agree with. The other 33.333...% possibility is that it has no beginning or end. It just IS.

What society do you live in? I'm a spoiled middle-class American. I live by the rule of law, but I wouldn't characterize it as "rigid and intolerant". In fact, it seems extremely flexible and open-minded. :confused:

Or it is temporally infinite.
3 options.
That is true as well, of course, but the universe itself can't have been infinite

God, on the other hand, could have been a First Cause. I know what you're thinking, "what created God", but remember "time" as we know it might not have existed prior to the universe therefore for something to be "eternal" is possible and we really have no clue in the end about the mechanics of reality

Then you'd be mistaken.
I think it's nonsense.

Nope, it's the truth. A society is people with common ground, often times cultural, moral, or both, or behavioral. Religion just helps to regulate it. But there's all sorts of alternatives, such as nationalism.

What society do you live in? I'm a spoiled middle-class American. I live by the rule of law, but I wouldn't characterize it as "rigid and intolerant". In fact, it seems extremely flexible and open-minded. :confused:

The rule of the law isn't society though, and the US is not one society. A society isn't just "live and ignore other people". "live and let live" isn't social.

Now what is the problem? I was bullshitting anyway i will never change from being an agnostic. It is the only ting that makes sense to me.

Bravo. I'm a cultural theist but also an agnostic as to the existence or nonexistence of God.

That is true as well, of course, but the universe itself can't have been infinite
Why not? :shrug:

Nope, it's the truth. A society is people with common ground, often times cultural, moral, or both, or behavioral. Religion just helps to regulate it. But there's all sorts of alternatives, such as nationalism.
And often times not rigid or intolerant at all.
Religion, on the other hand, is quite often intolerant by nature and by design.

Bravo. I'm a cultural theist but also an agnostic as to the existence or nonexistence of God.
Only because, as you've said many times, that god has a credible basis but the easter bunny or santa do not.

I deem god to have no more or less of a credible basis than the easter bunny and therefore I'm remain a "god atheist" not a "god agnostic".

Your stance that 'agnosticism towards god is the only valid stance' belies a strong underlying bias and non-objectivity.

Back