Theists: Are you here to defend theism, or to convert people?

Theists: Why are you posting here?

• to defend theism

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • to convert people to my religion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • to help people

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • to come to my own certainty about God

• a combination of the above (please explain in thread)

• other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
Knowledge91,

Yes there is. Scientific learners NEED the hard evidence, theist run off faith, because it is law.

How do you account for the scientists that have faith?

Faith in the existence.

Granted. That is what you have faith IN.
But what is that thing you call ''faith''

Because it is law

Which law?

The creator, all powerful, the Father

Why do you believe this?

My turn, why not have faith?

Because nothing exists in this world that leads me think
I need to have faith in a figment of someones imagination?

Why assume the negative?

I could ask you the same question.

If you were God would you leave evidence of your existence?

Yes?

If you were the Father would you let any old fool into your kingdom?

I am a father, and sometimes my children do foolish things, but it doesn't
mean I don't love or accept them over and above the times when they don't do foolish things.

Some of my responses are provocative, and representative of my personal belief.

jan.

you claimed it..you prove it..otherwise it is just an unsubstantiated claim.
If I pick the quotes then won't I get accused of cherry-picking just to make my point?
(Not trying to get out of it, just asking ;))

If I pick the quotes then won't I get accused of cherry-picking just to make my point?
(Not trying to get out of it, just asking ;))

you would have to, to bring a valid argument..
just admit it is an unsubstantiated claim,you are only parroting someone elses claims..

just admit it is an unsubstantiated claim,you are only parroting someone elses claims..
Yeah okay you got me.

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and[a] is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
Exodus 33:11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.
JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Etc...

Or maybe not. ;)

Yeah okay you got me.

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and[a] is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
Exodus 33:11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Etc...

Or maybe not. ;)

The book of love and deception.

verse
chapter
New testament

it is john speaking from his perspective..

verse
chapter
Old testament

there are alot of tense(used to, would) issues in this particular chapter..
it doesn't clearly say this is what did happen..i think they are setting up a feeling..to be spoke to later on..
<see below>
--
verse
chapter
old testament

it is a song meant to inspire.
<see below>
verse
chapter
new testament

the close of a prayer.
--
verse
chapter
NT

the genealogy chapter.
I personally doubt the accuracy of it..

verse
chapter
NT

this version says " so it was thought"
--

this is a trinity issue which i won't argue.

Or maybe not. ;)

your arguments break down with just a little homework..(scientific METHOD works for religion)
out of context.
perspective was ignored.

<below>notice the one comparison how alike they are?

(where did you cut/paste that list from?)

your arguments break down with just a little homework..(scientific METHOD works for religion)
Um, please try to keep up.
What I stated was (and I'll quote myself):
Plus, of course, the slight problem that whatever you find in the bible you can nearly always find something to contradict it: in the bible.

It's irrelevant whether one (or both, or neither) are actually correct, the FACT remains that within the one book there are contradictory passages, regardless of whether or not they can be "explained".
I.e. it is possible for someone to accept one as "factual" while someone else could claim that the other (opposing view) is the "correct" one sincce it too is in the Bible

It's irrelevant whether one (or both, or neither) are actually correct, the FACT remains that within the one book there are contradictory passages, regardless of whether or not they can be "explained".
I.e. it is possible for someone to accept one as "factual" while someone else could claim that the other (opposing view) is the "correct" one sincce it too is in the Bible

you are saying that just because one is right does not make the other wrong....?

you are saying that just because one is right does not make the other wrong....?
Not at all: I'm saying that WHETHER one is (or can be shown to be) right and the other wrong the contradictions are still in there for people to find. (Which is what my claim was...)

And, you'll have to admit that it does take a bit of scholarly debate and jiggery-pokery to resolve some of them.
What if the scholars had decided they wanted to justify the "wrong" version? You think they couldn't?

Not at all: I'm saying that WHETHER one is (or can be shown to be) right and the other wrong the contradictions are still in there for people to find. (Which is what my claim was...)
but if one is reading it in context, there will be no contradictions.
so that leaves those who do not read it in context and thereby only utilize verses as an excuse to justify their own opinions (both parties),
any basic study of contradictions will reveal their true nature,which means you are arguing from an ignorance perspective,(i don't have to know what they meant,i only have to know what they said.)

And, you'll have to admit that it does take a bit of scholarly debate and jiggery-pokery to resolve some of them.
which is why i don't argue trinity..

What if the scholars had decided they wanted to justify the "wrong" version? You think they couldn't?
this is my argument against Religion (not God)

but if one is reading it in context, there will be no contradictions.
so that leaves those who do not read it in context and thereby only utilize verses as an excuse to justify their own opinions (both parties),
any basic study of contradictions will reveal their true nature,which means you are arguing from an ignorance perspective,(i don't have to know what they meant,i only have to know what they said.)
I disagree, if that were true then there'd be no need whatsoever for scholarly debate to resolve these "apparent" contradictions.

How about these:
GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Or:

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

Or (Judas' death):

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)
Etc...

Bible was written by many different men. Do all christians have the same view?

I suppose the message is more of an overarching whole. Not that I ever read it all the way through. Idea of god never grabbed me. There is some good morality stuff in there. Can't expect it to be wholly consistent though?

Bible was written by many different men. Do all christians have the same view?

I suppose the message is more of an overarching whole. Not that I ever read it all the way through. Idea of god never grabbed me. There is some good morality stuff in there. Can't expect it to be wholly consistent though?

It simply is not.

Originally Posted by Adstar
BUT NOT IN THIS WORLD.. NOT IN THIS LIFE..

So again. What you put forward has absolutely nothing to do with me. Because what you where talking about is the cause of conflict IN THIS WORLD, IN THIS LIFE.

Huh? You're not really making sense.

I am making sense all right, but your not making an effort to actually read what i say and try to understand.

Your statement came to the conclusion that religion causes conflict in the world because religion teaches that people who reject the will of God deserve to be killed.

I clearly showed you that my Faith tells me that God will be the one carrying out the destruction in the next world and we have been called upon by God not to kill anyone.

So my Faith does not have anything to do with your point.

Also my faith teaches that everyone, Christians included, fall short of the perfection needed to avoid the destruction of God in the next world.

Therefore Christians declare themselves worthy of destruction along with everyone else.

This world is indeed what I am talking about, and as such my previous comments stand.

Yeah in the World... Not in the Afterlife... They are different.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Then there would be only people who believe they have enemies, but they couldn't point them out and couldn't actually fight with them! Everyone would be paranoid.

You post this only two posts after this:

You did not say something like:

I think that there is no distinction between theist and scientific learners.
or
In my view, there is no distinction between theist and scientific learners.

At a discussion forum like this, it is understood that we cannot take for granted that everything a person says, is merely their opinion or view.

Where is your "I think that" or "In my view"

See how stupid things can get when people say you got to put "I think that" or "In my view" before there points.. Of course the person thinks that and of course it is the persons view.

Ok here the deal when ever i make a point in my posts you can automatically put "I think that" in front of it ok. :rolleyes:

And as to your point If everyone believed as i do it would not change their basic human set-up people would still fall into being an enemy of others due to all the human failings we have. The difference would be that they would no longer feel justified in their hate for another.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Ok here the deal when ever i make a point in my posts you can automatically put "I think that" in front of it ok.
So you're not planning on ever posting facts? Verified observations? Something other than just a personal opinion? :rolleyes:

Back