Theists: Answer me this

It could be said that God is in and around us

I've always been a tad confused by this sort of statement. Are you saying this god is up my bumhole and when I flush the toilet I've flushed away a piece of god?

Don't you think it would be good if we said "She", you know, to get people thinking about what they actually mean when they say God.

Anyway, some religions have female Gods and those Goddesses sometimes pick a man and have sex with him :)

Snakelord-More than that. I would posit that God exists in the atomic bonds which hold together your toilet.

Michael-I dunno. Wouldn't the desire to do this make one a deiophile?

Anyway, some religions have female Gods and those Goddesses sometimes pick a man and have sex with him :)

I know, just the other night Kunyin, the moon goddess rose before me like an apparition and then , in the morning, she went down on me.

I would choose to follow God's command. If his command is that I self-flagellate for eternity, then that is what I would do.

Perhaps, but since gods have never made an appearance, and it doesn't seem they will anytime soon, either, do you have faith one day they will?

I would choose to follow God's command. If his command is that I self-flagellate for eternity, then that is what I would do.

And you would be happy with that?
And you are happy right now, with this potential prospect in mind?

Q-I believe that Jesus Christ was God incarnate. That he was resurrected from the dead in bodily form. Rose to heaven and will return in bodily form to rule the earth for a thousand years before God passes judgement on us all.

Q-I believe that Jesus Christ was God incarnate. That he was resurrected from the dead in bodily form. Rose to heaven and will return in bodily form to rule the earth for a thousand years before God passes judgement on us all.

That would pretty much be mantra most indoctrinated Christians believe.

Do you question that mantra at all? Does it seem perfectly reasonable and acceptable? Or does it even appear remotely far-fetched to you?

gb-yes

Q-I'm going to get a bit personal now, so please excuse me. I was raised christian. At a young age I began to question all things. For a time I was a Wiccan. I found I had more difficulty with that belief, and found that it still required faith. I became an Atheist, and put my faith in the fact that there was nothing supernatural. I couldn't shake the fact that I was still putting faith into something, only now it was in coincidence. I chose to return to christianity in a simpler sense than that which I had been raised, and have found that faith fulfilling. I question that mantra, I question the existence of God, I question the existence of reality in general. I choose to believe what I have chosen to believe.

I chose to return to christianity in a simpler sense than that which I had been raised, and have found that faith fulfilling.

I question that mantra, I question the existence of God, I question the existence of reality in general. I choose to believe what I have chosen to believe.

You contradict yourself. You say you question things; but you also say you have made your choice in what to believe.

gb-yes

I question that mantra, I question the existence of God, I question the existence of reality in general. I choose to believe what I have chosen to believe.

hmm interesting

Belief then is simply a choice and actually nothing whatsoever to do with god.

If humans are left to their own devices like this there's no knowing what choices they might make.

If I were god I'd be very worried indeed. if I were a politician I'd be laughing. Probably.

Q-I'm going to get a bit personal now, so please excuse me. I was raised christian. At a young age I began to question all things. For a time I was a Wiccan. I found I had more difficulty with that belief, and found that it still required faith. I became an Atheist, and put my faith in the fact that there was nothing supernatural. I couldn't shake the fact that I was still putting faith into something, only now it was in coincidence. I chose to return to christianity in a simpler sense than that which I had been raised, and have found that faith fulfilling. I question that mantra, I question the existence of God, I question the existence of reality in general. I choose to believe what I have chosen to believe.

I appreciate your candor and your openness to your personal life.

I did suspect you were of your parents religion and am sure you've probably read my posts decrying childhood indoctrination. So, you'll also have to excuse me for applying it to your post.

From what I can glean, it does not appear that you shook off any of your Christian indoctrination. You say you 'put your faith into the fact there was nothing supernatural' which is not the same as thinking through the belief and coming to that conclusion, it's still the same faith, only misplaced.

You "turned away," loosely speaking, from Christianity, as many youth do after leaving home, even picking up a fringe faith during your absence, but like so many of those youth, you returned to Christianity. Your "faith" remained perfectly intact.

Quite frankly, your story is common in principle, with minor adjustments to details for many of the stories I've heard and read here and elsewhere of Christians.

I've noticed you've used some of the same arguments as other Christians, either to support your belief or argue an alternative. I don't see any evidence that you've actually questioned your beliefs and their origins as they pertain to you personally.

And of course, your closing statement, "I choose to believe what I have chosen to believe" is probably the only dishonest thing you've said so far, pardon me for saying. It is one of the many reasons I argue childhood indoctrination, in that, those who are of their parents religion did not choose it themselves, but instead, it was chosen for them from birth, as it was chosen for their parents, and their parents, and so on...

gb-I don't understand, how is this a contradiction? I question, then I make a choice. rinse, repeat

sniffy-yes. that is exactly what I am saying

Q-childhood indoctrination may have indeed led me to where I am now, but I think that I have indeed chosen to believe what I believe.

Back