Theists: Answer me this

I love evolution. I agree with it, but I can't help but ask where did all the flocks of chicken come from? Were there great flocks of chicken that would migrate with the seasons?

The problem is that evolution *still* does not preclude God. It is not necessary to invoke a creator if it all happened by chance, but who are we to say that a creator did not do a bit of encouraging here and there? And, sadly as it may be, it doesn't preclude creation of the entire universe 7000 years ago complete and intact and in motion. Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent. Really nothing precludes that every thing didn't pop into existence 5 minutes ago and all of our notions of science are preprogrammed.

:bugeye:

This is actually neither here nor there to the reason for comparison. If we're simply looking at personal properties then of course they're different - but we're not looking at individual properties.

How are we not looking at individual properties??
What else is there, other than of course the viewer's own inclinations or disinclinations toward particular entities?

I love evolution. I agree with it, but I can't help but ask where did all the flocks of chicken come from? Were there great flocks of chicken that would migrate with the seasons?

The problem is that evolution *still* does not preclude God. It is not necessary to invoke a creator if it all happened by chance, but who are we to say that a creator did not do a bit of encouraging here and there? And, sadly as it may be, it doesn't preclude creation of the entire universe 7000 years ago complete and intact and in motion. Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent. Really nothing precludes that every thing didn't pop into existence 5 minutes ago and all of our notions of science are preprogrammed.

:bugeye:
Yes, that's true. Perhaps everything was created in situ 1 second ago. Doesn't seem likely, but it could be true.

Evolution doesn't preclude Goddesses, Gods or Xenu, however, why postulate unnecessary complications? Evolution, if a process prodded along by God, tells us something about the nature of God - given evolution is a crewel process.

Flocks of chickens? Did Junglefowl ever flock?

Michael

and actually, the paradox of knowing everything and being able to do anything (except be wrong, learn, be surprised, and etc...) has further hemmed this God thing in till where now some theists just know this

Indeed - you'd think they'd try and resolve that before moving on, but then of course when they can't resolve an issue they tend to just ignore it.

Norsefire

And this is what it is based on: possibilities. Our universe had a beginning, we know this, and we also know the only two possibilities, logically, are that it was "created" or it came to be on its own accord (natural).

This is actually the same problem many make. A universe existing for a finite amount of time does not equate to or justify that the universe had a beginning. Modern cosmology agrees with this position. Remember, we can only explain with any precision what happened after planck time.

This is why the question of a Creator is still valid.

Incorrect. As explained earlier, adding entities that don't solve the issue is completely without value. You will find, if we make this a very large discussion, that intelligent creators make the entire thing that much more problematic. Of course this is somewhat going off topic so perhaps that is better left for a different one.

This suggests that "existence" is eternal.

Not exactly. I, note: not being a cosmologist, would personally opt for uncaused beginnings - and interestingly we do know of things that are uncaused but have a beginning. The thing is of course that WLC and others assert from their position within the universe that everything that has a beginning must be caused. This, as pointed out by Tremblay, is a fallacy of composition, ("to infer a necessary causality on a whole – the universe – on the basis of observation of such attribute in the parts – the existents around us")

For instance, if we assume that the multi-verse theory is correct, and there are an infinite amount of universes, surely one of them was created?

Under what basis does one add entities? Let's be frank, the supernatural is an addition that can only be added once every natural possibility has been exhausted. When you start finding dead people with "bites" on their necks you would go through the animal world, human killers etc etc and only once all those possibilities are shown false do you even think of positing vampires. Unfortunately there are those that like to posit the supernatural before anything else - which is ultimately pointless. I would of course have much less of an issue with it if it actually solved anything - but it doesn't. When someone asserts a 'creator' we wind up with no less problems than we have without it, indeed more.

Or, we could say, "why bring nature into the equation?"

No you couldn't. 'Nature' is the natural and default state of things. Anything beyond that, (supernatural = beyond nature), is the addition.

All I can assert based on logics, is that it is possible that our universe came to be intentionally, based on the actions of some force of thought or consciousness.

Such thoughts are without any value. It is possible that there is an invisible monkey parading naked around New York right now. While from an absolute sense the "possible" is correct, (unless we can know absolutes - I contend, quite rightly, that we can't), but the actual claim is without any value whatsoever, (and merely goes to create even more problems).

Greenberg

How are we not looking at individual properties??
What else is there, other than of course the viewer's own inclinations or disinclinations toward particular entities?

Explained earlier but I shall try again:

When one likens a god to the tooth fairy, (etc), they are not making a comparison on what they do, (god and the tooth fairy both take teeth from under pillows), or what they are, (they're both fairies), but simply that:

They are both claimed existing entities that have no evidence to support the claim to their existence.

Regards,

Nothing created God, as He is the original cause of all causes.

The question was actually largely rhetorical and was covered:

"If one postulates that an entity created it, the problem arises in what created that entity. If one then asserts that such entity is eternal, the problem arises with how it could ever get to 'now' to create a universe. If one asserts that this being resides 'outside of time', the problem concerning something being atemporal arises - and this list just goes on and on."

I am more than happy to take this up on another thread if needs be.

shorty,

let me toss one to ya. Can you prove that you exist? That you are in fact a thinking intelligent being and not a simulation? I know I can't. Since there is no REAL proof that either of us exists, does that mean that we don't? If it doesn't, then can the same be applied to God? Santa Claus? Vishnu?

Could you then get god, santa and vishnu to sign up here and confirm your assertion?

would that I could:p

If I did, would you not then demand some further proof of their existence ad infinitum?

would that I could:p

If I did, would you not then demand some further proof of their existence ad infinitum?

Yes, but that's not the point I was making. The point is that if posts appeared here with the userid "Santa" or "Vishnu" or even "God," we can conclude "something or someone" exists that placed those posts here.

From that point, if I really did want to meet in person that 'something or someone,' I could, and confirm their existence.

So meeting them in person would mean you would believe in their existence? Perhaps, if we are lucky, God will appear to someone somewhere in human form that they could make a record of their existence.

Perhaps, if we are lucky, God will appear to someone somewhere in human form that they could make a record of their existence.

Perhaps the god that may appear is Allah. Would you then be inclined to consider yourself lucky?

I would choose to follow God's command. If his command is that I self-flagellate for eternity, then that is what I would do.

That which we call "god" is just our true self which we didn't dare to face, so we separated it from ourselves. We felt guilty for many things and we couldn't forgive ourselves, so we invented a powerful perfect being that could forgive us.

In one sense God does exist, but he is just ourselves. Jesus is who he is (I am who I am). When he was here, we were so afraid to face our Self that we crucified our Self.

It's interesting that every separation (like male and female) exists because we deny/forget who we really are.

I hope God has a really tight body and She enjoys using it :) Sorry Jan, looks like you'll have to learn to like it - THAT is God's command... pffffff

Yorda-Maybe. God is bigger than us-an omnipresent being. It could be said that God is in and around us. Thus God is "I Am" a being with no beginning nor end. Thus, He was who He will be, He will be who He is, He is who He was.
Jesus Christ was crucified because he sought to bring down the Jewish religious establishment, while the people thought he was going to bring about an end to Roman rule. Mass confusion led to the crucifiction(sp?) of God incarnate.

Michael-God is asexual. We say"He" for ease of language and from a historically patriarchal culture. "It" would not be inaccurate, but old habits are hard to break.

Back