The War on Christmas

When is the last time a Christian rammed his/her beliefs down your throat?

Yesterday.

You aren't angry about them ramming their beliefs down your throat, you are angry about them being public with their belief. You want them to hide the fact that they are Christians and not dare mention it in public.

Christianity is an evangelistic cult. Christians want everyone to be a Christian, as long as you meet their bigoted and racist agendas. The rest can simply go to hell. It is clearly an ideology that needs eradication from mankind.

To you it is a fairy tale. To me and hundreds of millions of others it is their religion.

So what? If you want to talk numbers, BILLIONS of people who are NOT Christian think it is a fairy tale.

What a bitter person you are.

Considering the atrocities Christianity has produced over the centuries, why are you not bitter about your own cult?

Voltaires bastards have produced more atrocities than anything else in history.

Sandy, on this one, I'm going to have to agree with you. I despise the term "holiday" for a substitute for "Christmas" and refuse to use it.

I can't stand the "PC" culture...is anyone really offended by the use of the word "Christmas"? If they are really worried about offending others of different religions, then don't put up a tree at all. Calling it a "holiday" tree isn't going to change anything...except making themselves feel a little better for being so "sensitive" to the beliefs of others.

They should all get a lump of coal in their stockings.

Amen.

Voltaires bastards have produced more atrocities than anything else in history.

He was a religious man and did erect a chapel on his estate so that he could continue religious practices. Is that what you meant?

Do christians not buy presents and sing christmas carols? For most people who "celebrate" christmas in america..yes even christians it has something do do with the presents and santa and all that crap. So dont try to come off as all high and mighty.

I bring food and flowers. I don't scour the malls for a month looking for presents and deals. I don't know what everyone else does. Born-again Christians have nothing to do with Santa. Just Jesus Christ.

I bring food and flowers. I don't scour the malls for a month looking for presents and deals. I don't know what everyone else does. Born-again Christians have nothing to do with Santa. Just Jesus Christ.

:confused: Isn't he really the same person ?

December 25th has a lot to do with Jesus.

The fact that the date was used because it coincided with a pagan festival already in place does not diminish the importance of Christmas to Christians.
I'm not addressing Christmas..I'm addressing a date on the calendar, which does indeed have nothing to do with Jesus.

The date would be as meaningless to him as the name 'Jesus'...which was invented long after his death.

Wait a minute... who is Santa supposed to depict ?
Another good example of a real historical character being taken over by a caricature!

Just as the real biblical Yeshua has been taken over by the hippie Jesus one finds in sunday school picture books.

Born-again Christians have nothing to do with Santa. Just Jesus Christ.

"Rubel Shelly: All this is to say that one of the good things about "baptizing Santa Claus" is to dispel the false notion that Christians don't know how to have fun. That we never lighten up. That we're perpetually guilty of some sort of "sanctified Scroogism."

Another good example of a real historical character being taken over by a caricature!

Just as the real biblical Yeshua has been taken over by the hippie Jesus one finds in sunday school picture books.

I was kidding about Santa really being the same person as Jesus, but who IS Santa supposed to depict ?
I really don't know.. is he supposed to depict some saint of old ?

Yesterday. ['quote]

You say someone tried to ram Christianity down your throat yesterday. Did they follow you and harrass you and say you had better become Christian or they would beat you up? Did they threaten to call the authorities on you if you didn't convert to Christianity? Or did they simply mention the fact that they were Christian, something that seems enough to force some non-Christians into throes of apoplexy.

Christianity is an evangelistic cult. Christians want everyone to be a Christian, as long as you meet their bigoted and racist agendas. The rest can simply go to hell. It is clearly an ideology that needs eradication from mankind.

Since there are Christians of every race how is it racist? Are blacks, Asians, Hispanics, excluded from being Christians. Last time I looked there were Ethiopian Christians, Jamaican Christians, Egyptian Christians, Palestinian Christians, European Christians, Korean and Chinese Christians. Maybe you had better inform those people that they are not Christians because Christianity is a racist religion.

Using your logic, since many milliions have been imprisoned and killed by atheist regimes around the world atheism is an ideology that needs to be eradicated.

So what? If you want to talk numbers, BILLIONS of people who are NOT Christian think it is a fairy tale.

There are more religious people than atheists in the world so if lack of numbers make a belief a fairy tale that must mean atheism is a fairy tale.

Considering the atrocities Christianity has produced over the centuries, why are you not bitter about your own cult

I am not bitter about my religion because of all the good Christianity has produced over the centuries.

Since Stalin and Mao were atheists why are you not bitter about your cult of atheism? Why don't you condemn atheists in general because of the actions of the Myanmar government in the Killing Fields?

Face it, Q, you are nothing but an anti-Christian bigot.

Who is that ? When did he live ?

St. Nicholas was a fourth century bishop in Smyrna, in what is today, Turkey.

He was known for giving bags containing money to poor families to use for their daughter's dowries. That is where the custom of gift giving by St. Nicholas came from.

St. Nicholas is the Saint that stood model for our 'Sinterklaas'. His birthday is on 5 December rather than 25 December.
I understand that Santa Claus is heavily influenced by the German 'representative' of St. Nicholas. The question that arises is which birthday is the correct one and why do they differ ?

In the Netherlands, Saint Nicholas' eve is the primary occasion for gift-giving, when his reputed birthday is celebrated. In this case, roles are reversed, though, in that Sinterklaas is the one who gives the presents.

In recent years, Christmas (along with Santa Claus) has been pushed by shopkeepers as another gift-giving festival, with some success, although, especially for young children, Saint Nicholas' eve is still much more important than Christmas.

In the days leading up to December 5 (starting when Saint Nicholas has arrived in The Netherlands by steamboat), young children put their shoes in front of the chimneys and sing special 'Sinterklaas-songs'. Often the shoe is filled with a carrot or some hay for the horse of St. Nicholas (called Amerigo). On the next morning they will find a small present in their shoe, ranging from a bag of chocolate coins to a bag of marbles or some other small toy. On the evening of December 5th, Sinterklaas brings presents to every child that has been good in the past year (in practice to all children). This is often done by placing a sack with presents outside the house or living room, after which a neighbour or parent bangs the door or window, pretending to be Sinterklaas' assistant. Another option is to hire or ask someone to dress up as Sinterklaas and deliver the presents personally. Sinterklaas wears a red bishop's dress including a red mitre, rides a white horse over the rooftops and is assisted by many mischievous helpers with black faces and colourful Moorish dresses, dating back two centuries. These helpers are called 'Zwarte Pieten' (black Petes).

In the past number of years, there has been a recurrent discussion about the politically incorrect nature of the Moorish helper. In particular Dutch citizens with backgrounds from Suriname and the Netherlands Antilles feel offended by the Dutch slavery history connected to this emblem and regard the Zwarte Pieten to be racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas#Celebration_in_the_Netherlands

When is the last time a Christian rammed his/her beliefs down your throat? You aren't angry about them ramming their beliefs down your throat, you are angry about them being public with their belief. You want them to hide the fact that they are Christians and not dare mention it in public.

To you it is a fairy tale. To me and hundreds of millions of others it is their religion.

What a bitter person you are.

Once or twice a month for me, but i do live in the deep south which has a lot of nutty christians.

In Latvian Christmas tree is called Winter celebrations fir tree or Ziemassvētku eglīte, and it's the original name of it.

Over here Christmas or Winter celebrations as they are called has three faces,
one the christian one, second the capitalistic or consumerism one, third the traditional or paganic one.

The last has never been lost and has been celebrated uninterrupted since anyone has records.
From this one the other two have taken the "christmas tree", and there was a christmas tree before there was any Christ.

So curiously Holiday tree is a more appropriate name for it, because Winter solstice has always been a celebration.

Back