The problem with atheism...

Originally posted by Xev
You are back to your Orwellian twisting of words again, honey.

:D OK pookie, I’m not going to argue this issue with you anymore, there’s simply no point.

never had him or her fall asleep on me..

If that is a picture of you under your picture then i'm not surprised. :) :rolleyes:

DING-DONG BABEEEE!! :cool:

Lurrv.

Jan Ardena.

PS. If not then forget we had this conversation.

In an earlier post Cris pointed out:

And Counterbalance I don’t believe there is a fine line between the positions here. However, I’m open to suggestion.

I should say first that I’m not attempting to speak for Q. I thought I recognized a distinction he’d called to Cris’s attention in his “case study of Adam” post, and in his related posts. Rather than make an improper as well as an incorrect assumption I asked Q to verify my translation, which he did. If it happens that he still agrees with what I’ve written here, that’s fine. If not, he can comment further as or when he likes.

Perhaps also worth nothing, the “Adam” described in this post should not be confused with the individual who authored this thread. There may be some similarities in the two “Adams” and their respective outlooks, but drawing such comparisons is not the point of this post.

~~~

Cris:

I don’t think you are in error with your definitions and explanations of what an “atheist” is, or of what “atheism” means. You’ve covered it about as well as any serious and learned “atheist” could--on this thread and elsewhere. Even so, under that correctly defined label of “atheist” I think we could exclude one type of human who does all that a properly defined “atheist” would seem to do when rationally rejecting a claim that gods exists--due to a lack of evidence... but who does not precisely fit the label of “atheist” because that same rational method of judging (thinking) is applied across the board in Adam's case; applied to every sort of consideration Adam might make. A “skeptic” by common standards, yes, but again not quite the perfect fit. The case study “Adam” I’m thinking of is not necessarily a common human individual. (which is why it was appropriate that he be presented as a ‘case study,’ imo.)

To borrow briefly from Neil Peart of Rush:

No, his mind is not for rent. To any god or government...

We could back that up and just say that Adam's mind is not for rent. Period.

Depending on one’s view, Adam's type and use of rationality is above, beyond (or even below) what is commonly asserted or considered to be “rational” thought.

For Adam it’s not only a lack of belief in gods due to a lack of evidence. It‘s his whole mindset. “Belief” doesn’t enter the picture for Adam with respect to anything, any topic. The concept of “belief” or “disbelief” is not acceptable to Adam.

Adam doesn’t care if the rest of the world wishes to label him, or even wishes to argue over whether or not he‘s been labeled correctly. By his standards, it would be irrational of him to care what the rest of the world does in this (and many other) respect(s).

Adam has no use for labels much as he has no use for a concept of “belief.” Again, Adam is willing to think in terms of “acceptable as far as we know.” Full stop. And this means that whatever theory or proposition he encounters, or even comes up with himself, is only ever going to be a working model for the duration of his own interest in it. And this is because Adam understands that, as he is, he is limited in his ability to be certain about what is possible or not, what is absolutely true or false. Curiosity, a natural human tendency to explore, experience, and grow, along with very well-developed rational self-interest, are what fuel his willingness to work with some ideas in the manner he does. And even to work with some ideas at all.

Adam would not agree that it is natural or appropriate for him, a human, to care about much that other modern day men claim he should, or to care in a way or to a degree that others say he should. Adam really, really doesn’t care. In my opinion, Adam is a more evolved human being. A man before his time. Fortunately he (and the rest of mankind to a lesser extent) has evolved to such a point that he can live in the present world and among great numbers of people who are (for one reason or another) enslaved by deeply rooted habits of irrational thinking. Adam is not a superman as some philosophers have idealized, but rather a relatively rare human specimen that has realized more of his human potential than most others have to date. He is not necessarily the “epitome.” He is an “advancement.”

In a sense, Adam is bypassing all the futile intellectual hubbub and friction that is attached to a question of (or debate over) whether or not gods exist, or whether or not any god was involved with the creation of the world as we understand it so far.

In a post to you, Q quoted your definition and query:

(a) = no or absence of.
(theism) = belief in a god.

= no belief in a god, or absence of belief in a god.

Are we in agreement?

Inasmuch as it matters to most people, yes. We can agree that Adam has “no belief in a god, or [has an] absence of belief in a god.” But what we actually have is an individual who is more than an “atheist.” (Or less, depending on how one chooses to interpret this.) Adam falls on the other side of a fine line because of the nature--the breadth and the depth--of his rationality and his ability to use it. It could even be that Adam has actually evolved in a purely physical sense--biologically, chemically--which affects the type and strength of emotions he deals with, and how, and which enables Adam to behave in a more suitable pro-survival way for humans.

By and large it will often appear that Adam is “zigging” along with the rest of us; that he’s not particularly unusual. In many respects he’s not that different. Yet in the most fundamental construct of “who is Adam?” there is a deviation (a “zag”) that, in the eyes of some, set him apart and free him from what would be a restrictive classification for his “type” of mind and being. No set of beliefs for Adam, no subscriptions, no doctrines, only a tried and true method of mentally processing any proposition at all.

Since it’s not my place (or desire) to elaborate on the query-response Q offered in the original post (now quoted above) I’ve offered my own explanation for why I see a “fine line” between the positions.

The only thing further I would add at this point, and as I’ve asserted in the past... part of being an “Atheist” is being rational; exhibiting rational behavior. One uses a rationality that I think is appropriate to humans when one rationally concludes there is insignificant evidence to “believe” that gods exist. However, an “Atheist” that fits the common and correct definition of “Atheist” can also make any number of irrational decisions about other matters, though they are a true “Atheist.”

An “Atheist” can be a wife-beater, a petty thief, a gangster, or an otherwise unbalanced human who is capable of carrying out a variety of harmful, irrational actions. We don’t hear as much about them, true. This could be because in comparison, far fewer atheists have actively, publicly “taken up a cross” against religion, while the world has been, and is, full of religious extremist who only live for one type of martyrdom or another, and who have gladly sought it at the cost of millions of human lives.

As has been asserted previously, the fact that sound rationality (“sound” for that individual) was required to make the “I am an Atheist” conclusion is an integral part of what, in total, does constitute an “atheist.” But wearing the label of “atheist” does nothing more than make a general, though reasonably accurate, type of distinction about one’s view on a specific notion.

Adam, on the other hand, and due to the extent to which he’s explored, developed and uses the human tool of rational thought, doesn’t fit perfectly under even the most precisely or correctly designed label of “Atheism.”

I hoped I’ve succeeded in explaining why anyone might give the “fine line” distinction some credence. If not, then it might be best if I take a cue from our case study “Adam” and simply let it ride. It’s not important to me that my opinion on the matter be accepted. If over time a majority of humans determine that such a distinction is real and significant, I’m quite sure it won’t be me, or Q, or likely anyone we know here who’ll be credited with having noticed it before. I think this “strain” of rational human has been amongst us for a while. Just hasn’t been rational for them to call excess attention to themselves.

~~~

Thx,

Counterbalance

~~~

Btw, we’re currently in the throes of moving or would have gotten back to this sooner. Apologies for the delay.

Last edited:
An observation...

Originally posted by Raithere

More than one even.

~Raithere

And to this, the question was asked:

Can you prove it?

Raithere,

For those you claim to love-- those whom you would have believe or accept that you do love--then it is only important that they have "proof" they consider adequate.

It is not incumbent upon you to prove to the rest of the world that you love a set number of individuals.

After all, you are not claiming to be a god, nor claiming that anyone must believe, or that anyone make a sacrifice based on such a belief.

But I bet you already knew that. ;)

~~~

Counterbalance

Counterbalance,

Well said. I'd just like to say I'm glad you said that. I just wish some of the others on this board had your clarity of mind...

Cheers!

Counterbalance and Tyler,

What...?

I Love and that's all! Love is extremely simple! There's nothing rational in Love!

I don't know why you try to put an Ocean inside of a bottle!!

Love,
Nelson

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Can you prove it?

Proof would depend upon us agreeing upon the definition of love and making a determination based upon that definition of how it could be tested but I believe I could:

I can give you an accounting of my past behavior towards those people and you could observe my future behavior and make a determination whether I act in a manner that expresses love.

You could test the chemical and neurological state of my brain when I am having such feelings and see if these states correspond to the state called love.

You could post the question and analyze my response on a polygraph.

You could ask the people I claim to love what they think about my behavior towards them.

You could ask a third party who has witnessed my relationship what their observations are.

However:

Counterbalance was correct in his post. I don't owe it to you to prove my love. I am not asking you to believe it. I'm not arguing it as a point in a debate or asking you to acknowledge it as truth. Unlike some Christians I am not trying to change law or society based upon it. I didn't present it in support of a moral argument or present a moral judgment based upon it.

You, however, have brought God into these discussions/debates. You make moral assertions in your posts and claims of truth and then dance away from the responding inquiries. The onus of proof is then upon you.

I do know what you were attempting to get at here and that is the argument that God is like Love, something you cannot prove but have to feel in order to know. I have no problem with that; in fact some of these abstract, indefinable ideals are the very reason that I am agnostic rather than atheist. Whence comes love, beauty, and altruism? I don't know. Neither do I accept that they are merely physiological detritus, leftovers from our evolutionary past.

Still, this does not support an argument for God, particularly ones as impotent, self-contradictory, and poorly defined as they are in the major religions. And it definitely does not give me the right to assert my assumptions regarding this topic upon others. If you want to discuss what God might be, fine. But when you start telling me, essentially, that you know him personally and want to relate his truth I start asking some hard questions. Failing to answer, I must assume that you don't know. If you don't know, why should I believe your assertion, doesn't God know?

I find it telling that when I try to pin down your arguments that you dance away from them. Your primary methods of debate are avoidance and distraction with some confusion of terminology thrown in to muddy the waters. Due to this behavior, I infer that you really are not sure of what you believe. Not surprising since you look to the transcendental BG as a source of information. Again, I have no problem with your failure to be able to express your beliefs clearly. Belief is sometimes hard to nail down, based as it always is in a myriad of previous assumptions and beliefs. But if you participate in such discussions you need to define (fairly precisely) what it is you are discussing. Definition and expression are key to these discussions having any meaning at all. Otherwise it has no more meaning that me stating, "Weasels and chipmunks have fat hips." to every question.

Love ~Raithere

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Can you prove it?
Proof would depend upon us agreeing upon the definition of love and making a determination based upon that definition of how it could be tested but I believe I could:

I can give you an accounting of my past behavior towards those people and you could observe my future behavior and make a determination whether I act in a manner that expresses love.

You could test the chemical and neurological state of my brain when I am having such feelings and see if these states correspond to the state called love.

You could ask the people I claim to love what they think about my behavior towards them.

You could ask a third party who has witnessed my relationship what their observations are.

However:

Counterbalance was correct in his post. I don't owe it to you to prove my love. I am not asking you to believe it. I'm not arguing it as a point in a debate or asking you to acknowledge it as truth. Unlike some Christians I am not trying to change law or society based upon it. I didn't present it in support of a moral argument or present a moral judgment based upon it.

You, however, have brought God into these discussions/debates. You make moral assertions in your posts and claims of truth and then dance away from the responding inquiries. The onus of proof is then upon you.

I do know what you were attempting to get at here and that is the argument that God is like Love, something you cannot prove but have to feel in order to know. I have no problem with that; in fact some of these abstract, indefinable ideals are the very reason that I am agnostic rather than atheist. Whence comes love, beauty, and altruism? I don't know. Neither do I accept that they are merely physiological detritus, leftovers from our evolutionary past.

Still, this does not support an argument for God, particularly ones as impotent, self-contradictory, and poorly defined as they are in the major religions. And it definitely does not give me the right to force my assumptions upon others. If you want to discuss what God might be, fine. But when you start telling me, essentially, that you know him personally and want to relate his truth I start asking some hard questions. Failing to answer, I must assume that you don't know. If you don't know, why should I believe your assertion, doesn't God know?

I find it telling that when I try to pin down your arguments that you dance away from them. Your primary methods of debate are avoidance and distraction with some confusion of terminology thrown in to muddy the waters. Due to this behavior, I infer that you really are not sure of what you believe. Not surprising since you look to the transcendental BG as a source of information. Again, I have no problem with your failure to be able to express your beliefs clearly. Belief is sometimes hard to nail down, based as it always is in a myriad of previous assumptions and beliefs. But if you participate in such discussions you need to define (fairly precisely) what it is you are discussing. Definition and expression are key to these discussions having any meaning at all. Otherwise it has no more meaning than me stating, "Weasels and chipmunks have fat hips." to every question.

Love ~Raithere [/B]

Last edited:
Love can be defined and is rational..

Quote TS:"I Love and that's all! Love is extremely simple! There's nothing rational in Love!"

*Love, friendship, respect, admiration are the emotional responce of one man to the virtues of another, the spiritual "payment" given in exchange for the personal, selfish pleasure which one man derives from the virtues of another man's character. Only a brute or an alturist would claim that the appreciation of another person's virtues is an act of selfishness, that as far as one's own selfish interest and pleasure concerned, it makes no difference whether one deals with a genius or a fool, whether one meets a hero or a thug, whether one marries an ideal woman or a slut. *Ayn Rand*

I Love and that's all! Love is extremely simple! There's nothing rational in Love!

NEEEEP! Wrong.

If I 'love' because a person is cute, I am not truely in 'love'. I simply think they are cute.

If I truely love, it is because they have certain virtues of character, a certain personality, that I enjoy and admire.

As Ms.Rand pointed out, thanks Godless.

Sushi!,
Xev

No. True Love is Unconditional.

And it can't be explained rationally.
You are mistaken Love by love.

As I said before, Love is not merely a chemical reaction neither an emotion.
love is.
Do you see the difference between Love and love?

love is rational because it's limited to someone in special, because it's not unconditional. You have a reason to love. It's much more sexual attraction then actually Love. This love our society created is merely an attraction and a chemical reaction.

Love is a spiritual state that can't be explained rationally as it goes beyond words. It has no limitations, it's completly Unconditional. Trying to explain Love in words, rationally, is like trying to put an ocean inside a bottle. You will get only a very superficial idea. You will get only a little part of the ocean.

Love,
Nelson

However:

Still, this does not support an argument for God, particularly ones as impotent, self-contradictory, and poorly defined as they are in the major religions. And it definitely does not give me the right to force my assumptions upon others. If you want to discuss what God might be, fine. But when you start telling me, essentially, that you know him personally and want to relate his truth I start asking some hard questions. Failing to answer, I must assume that you don't know. If you don't know, why should I believe your assertion, doesn't God know?

I find it telling that when I try to pin down your arguments that you dance away from them. Your primary methods of debate are avoidance and distraction with some confusion of terminology thrown in to muddy the waters. Due to this behavior, I infer that you really are not sure of what you believe. Not surprising since you look to the transcendental BG as a source of information. Again, I have no problem with your failure to be able to express your beliefs clearly. Belief is sometimes hard to nail down, based as it always is in a myriad of previous assumptions and beliefs. But if you participate in such discussions you need to define (fairly precisely) what it is you are discussing. Definition and expression are key to these discussions having any meaning at all. Otherwise it has no more meaning than me stating, "Weasels and chipmunks have fat hips." to every question.

So you can’t prove it then.

That’s cool, no need to sweat.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Tinker683
Firstly: God is not a man. God can talk to everybody on this planet, at this very moment, and can hold conversation with them easily.

And you said you don't believe. :(

Secondly: Again, Why are you right? Why should the vedas hold more authority than the Wiccan rede, or the Bible? All of these have something to say reguarding God.

I don't know. :confused:

I don't know where the universe is,

Yoo standin init son! :eek:

I'm pretty confident that, one day, humanity may just discover where the universe came from.

I admire your faith.
Go on my son!!!!

And if they do discover a God, it will be interesting to see which god they'll find.

Maybe it will be this Chithuli feller, his popularity seems to be gaining some momentum.

Easily. My mother raised me to know what was right and wrong waaay before I grandmother took me to church for the first time.

Who told mom?

NOW You prove to me the BG is right, and the others are not, or I am no longer going to reguard any further statements you make about the BG. I have asked you multiple times to prove the BG, and you have not. I expect, the next thread, that you atleast try.

Easy, my mother told me, way before i read it for the first time.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Love-love?

Originally posted by TruthSeeker
No. True Love is Unconditional.

And it can't be explained rationally.
You are mistaken Love by love.

As I said before, Love is not merely a chemical reaction neither an emotion.
love is.
Do you see the difference between Love and love?

love is rational because it's limited to someone in special, because it's not unconditional. You have a reason to love. It's much more sexual attraction then actually Love. This love our society created is merely an attraction and a chemical reaction.

Love is a spiritual state that can't be explained rationally as it goes beyond words. It has no limitations, it's completly Unconditional. Trying to explain Love in words, rationally, is like trying to put an ocean inside a bottle. You will get only a very superficial idea. You will get only a little part of the ocean.

Love,
Nelson

There's no thing such as "unconditional" love, you love an individual cause of his/her character, the values that the person may bring you, which reflects the value you have.

The unconditional love you speak of, is the sort of love you devote to a god, this is what you mean right?

*Romantic love, in the full sense of the term, is an emotion possible only to the man (or woman) of unbreached self-esteem; it is his response to his own highest values in the person of another--an intergrated response of mind and body, of love and sexual desire. Such a man (or woman) is incapable of experiencing a sexual desire divorced from spiritual values.
Man is an end in himself. Romantic love--the profound, exalted, life-long "passion" that unites his mind and body in the sexual act--is the living testimony to that principle.

One gains a profoundly personal, selfish joy from the mere "existence" of the person one loves. It is one's own personal, selfish happiness that one seeks, earns and derives from love.

Let us answer the question: "Can you measure love?"
The concept "love" is formed by isolating two or more instances of the appropriate psychological process, then retaining its distinguishing characteristics (an ^EMOTION^ proceeding from the evaluation of an "existenten" as a positive value and as a source of pleasure) and omitting the object and the measurements of the process's intensity.*Ayn Rand*

To love something, or someone is to value. Unconditional love, is the kind of thing you are characterizing one devotes his entire life to some sort of supernatural being. This you may choose to do, however it's not love, its duty you speak of, the duty to love by the threat of ending up in hell, or some damnation for not believing your god, this is not love, this is fear.

Every thought, every emotion, that you may feel is indeed a chemical reaction this is the natural process of our minds, so it stands to reason that love for an individual as a sexual partner is a chemical reaction. However one decides wether one will pursue the love of an individual by the character a particular person may have, as well as the value he/or she may bring.

For instance, Xev mentioned"If I 'love' because a person is cute, I am not truely in 'love'. I simply think they are cute."

This person may be cute, however he may be a person with low self esteem, or simply one that does not hold the ideals Xev's seeks in a potential partner.

To love something which does not exist, or can't be proven to exist, an ideal of a utopia after life is an errational wish, of whims and desires of a non-existent. Therefore you may call this unconditional love, however to love an individual as such would most certainly be a mistake, unless you are willing to worship the ground he/she may walk on.

Originally posted by Counterbalance

In my opinion, Adam is a more evolved human being. A man before his time. Fortunately he (and the rest of mankind to a lesser extent) has evolved to such a point that he can live in the present world and among great numbers of people who are (for one reason or another) enslaved by deeply rooted habits of irrational thinking. Adam is not a superman as some philosophers have idealized, but rather a relatively rare human specimen that has realized more of his human potential than most others have to date. He is not necessarily the “epitome.” He is an “advancement.”
"Adam" is seriously drunk :p

I once herd (don't rember where) this quote
Love is a exsuse to say "there is something about you i cherish", There are different forms of love, love of nation, love of family, love of friends; all different, all love

Im not sure if that the exact quote but you get the piture

Jan,

Well, I'm glad we finally wrapped tha up. Since your incapable of proving to me that the BG is right, and that every other religion is false, I see no reason to even discuss it anymore.

From this time forward, any references you make to the BG, in any further arguements, will be ignored.

And here I was thinking the great Jan Ardena would " show me the way ". Well, so much for that.

Originally posted by Tinker683
Jan,
Well, I'm glad we finally wrapped tha up. Since your incapable of proving to me that the BG is right, and that every other religion is false, I see no reason to even discuss it anymore.

Tell me Tinker, how can i prove anything to you.

From this time forward, any references you make to the BG, in any further arguements, will be ignored.

You mean you were paying attention before. :p

Love.

Jan Ardena.

Jan,

Tell me Tinker, how can i prove anything to you.

First, you can explain to me how it is your know the BG was written by God. Then, you can prove this.

Next, you can explain to me why it holds any authority, and why I should listen to it's teachings rather than another "revealed" text.

Then you could prove it's historic authienticity(sp?).

And THEN you teach me the concepts of the BG, and we'll take it from there. This, however, requires that you do all of the above. Otherwise, the concepts of the BG mean nothing.

:)

Back