The Post Whatever Thread

What's that guy doing, examining the tail or sniffing the butt?
Wow, I could make you a Indian Brain-tanned moccasin skin from that buck. We used to sell naturally processed hides like that for 500 - 600 dollars in Montana. A size like that can make 5 0r,6, high-top Mocs.

008-2.jpg

How is Brain Tanned Leather Made
This kind of leather comes from wild game such as deer. The brains of these animals have enough of the right acids and chemicals to tan their hides. Because of the specialized nature of brain tanning, it is not carried out on a large commercial scale. Instead it is used by hunters to preserve the hides of fresh kills.
This method of brain tanning was used by Native Americans, who continue to tan hides with it today. Animals that have enough oils and tannins in their brains for this purpose include deer, cows, raccoons and beavers. Compared to chrome tanning and vegetable tanning, this method is cheaper and requires fewer resources. It’s also more environmentally friendly.
https://bestleather.org/types-of-leather/brain-tanned/

What's that guy doing, examining the tail or sniffing the butt?
that guy
is strategically holding the antlers with his right leg as the first picture did not show the antlers well
upload_2020-11-30_18-40-53.jpeg

and relaxing a bit after dragging the brute into the shop and hoisting him up
and that guy is a tad over 70 inches tall so is giving scale to the picture

Yep. Called Elkinacea.

He'll be in trouble if he doesn't get it cleared up before the next rutting season.
Here, was that related to my avatar? Daisy

''Echinacea is a genus of herbaceous flowering plants in the daisy family''
Something to do with extract to make cream?
Elk??

Last edited:
He'll be in trouble if he doesn't get it cleared up before the next rutting season.
Here, was that related to my avatar? Daisy

''Echinacea is a genus of herbaceous flowering plants in the daisy family''
Something to do with extract to make cream?
Elk??
“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”
― E.B. White

Back