The Post Whatever Thread

I'm trying to remember if they had the "zip guns" in the movie. In the book, they shot something like a throwing star that would take a triffid's head clean off.
I don't remember either, but found the movie.....:)

and just for shock value;

Last edited:
True, Dave - also, these topics are easier to discuss online than in person, most of the time. I'm not walking up to my neighbor to get his take on ''entropy in everyday life,'' or ''should science replace religion?''

Maybe I should. Hmm......

@W4U - They alter their behaviors to ''fit in'' (adapt) so to speak?

time as a commodity of perpetual loss leveraging.

people spend far less time devoted to talking in real life face to face with people about intellectual issues.
this goes hand in hand with the ever decreasing wage rate of the working class.
with manufacturing and administration jobs being outsourced to 3rd world no rights markets this has seen a landslide effect in the loss of intellectual attainment as a collective social culture.

time as a commodity of perpetual loss leveraging.

people spend far less time devoted to talking in real life face to face with people about intellectual issues.
this goes hand in hand with the ever decreasing wage rate of the working class.
with manufacturing and administration jobs being outsourced to 3rd world no rights markets this has seen a landslide effect in the loss of intellectual attainment as a collective social culture.
You have an interesting way of looking at things, Rainbow. :smile:

The Post Whatever Thread

I was playing the yard maintenance game today. Trim a tree, sit down and have a smoke. Trim a bush, sit down and have a smoke. Move some debris, sit down and have a smoke. Thank the Universe for my chain saw and hedge trimmer
You just exactly described my every weekday while I'm between contracts.
Smokes punctuate chores.
('course, my cigars last an hour...)

So much for reading that book. Spoilers everywhere :frown:

I didn't know what to expect, but that video is pretty interesting. :smile:
It explains what begun a long time ago as bacterial "quorum sensing" and the order on which ENTP rests is provided by the microtubules present in all eukaryotic organisms, which can be called proto- or quasi-intelligences.

Also addressed by Anil Seth that; "when people agree (quorum sensing) on their hallucinations (best guesses), we call that reality"

It explains what begun a long time ago as bacterial "quorum sensing" and the order on which ENTP rests is provided by the microtubules present in all eukaryotic organisms, which can be called proto- or quasi-intelligences.

Also addressed by Anil Seth that; "when people agree (quorum sensing) on their hallucinations (best guesses), we call that reality"

Does anyone on here do this? :-}

I used to have a friend who was born deaf, and with one-ear (mangled.)

When someone met him for the first-time, he asked, "what's the matter with you, did Stevie Wonder phone you while you were doing the ironing?" :)

Does anyone on here do this? :-}
This is all everybody does all the time. Your brain can only make a best gues of what your senses observe.
Optical illusions work on everyone, but agreement on an optical illusion is not recognizing reality. That would be creating a false reality by agreement.
And that happens often as well......:)

Last edited:
This is all everybody does all the time. Your brain can only make a best gues of what your senses observe.
Optical illusions work on everyone, but agreement on an optical illusion is not recognizing reality. That would be creating a false reality by agreement.
And that happens often as well......:)
Gotcha.

I'm not sure I think of ''best guesses'' as ''hallucinations,'' though. I think if we insist on the hallucination being real (to us, in the moment), despite evidence to the contrary...then, that would be a delusion. Hmm.

Gotcha.

I'm not sure I think of ''best guesses'' as ''hallucinations,'' though. I think if we insist on the hallucination being real (to us, in the moment), despite evidence to the contrary...then, that would be a delusion. Hmm.
What is the "evidence to the contrary" though, if not another shared "hallucination"?

What is the "evidence to the contrary" though, if not another shared "hallucination"?
Well, if five people have claimed to see Big Foot last night in the town they all live in, separately/together (that part doesn't matter) - I'd consider that a hallucination, or just a mistake in identifying something else as Big Foot. Now if they insist on holding their claims to be true, and we know there's no evidence to support the existence of Big Foot, they'd be delusional.

But where do we draw that line? Idk.

But where do we draw that line?
That's what I was getting at. How many people have to share a "hallucination" before it becomes "reality"? Even if we have hard evidence one way or the other, that evidence has to be agreed on too.

That's what I was getting at. How many people have to share a "hallucination" before it becomes "reality"? Even if we have hard evidence one way or the other, that evidence has to be agreed on too.
True. I'm reminded of Virgin Mary ''visions'' that have been reported over the centuries, and many Catholics believe them ...without even looking into the stories.

Goes back to hive mentality. If you have agreed with someone on a few points/topics in the past, you might just trust that person on all topics, without a need to verify evidence. Then, if you share the same societal labels ''Republican,'' ''Democrat,'' ''Christian'' etc...there's a tendency to just believe whatever your ''kind'' believes.

Then, there are illusions, which distort our perception of reality. I guess this is why magicians are still a thing.

Back