The Gay Fray

I am . . . .

• Homosexual

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Heterosexual

Votes: 201 73.6%
  • Bisexual

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Other (I would have complained if there wasn't an "other" option)

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
MZ3Boy84 said:

I'm hoping it will be just as active as it was a few years back!

As am I. Good news or bad, post it here.

Thank ye.

Homo zeitgeist

From this week's gayriffic "Last Days":

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30 Following yesterday's extended celebration of not-gay gays, Last Days is reluctant to whisper another word on the subject. And so we'll dutifully ignore today's reports of the rest-area sex sting in Bedford, New York, in which 20 men were arrested for loitering, soliciting, and/or forcible touching over the past month. Of the 20 arrested men, 19 reported having wives at home. The sole single man is a Catholic priest. We're not making this up. It's the zeitgeist.

(Schmader)

I'll look around later today and see if I can find better details.

From the lighter side of the Gay Fray:

If you take a close look at that box art, you’ll see a few letters with sparkly effects on their edges. Turns out, as more than a few gaming sites have pointed out, those letters spell out “UR MR GAY.” Amusing, if a bit of a stretch. But today, I saw that the game’s startup screen animates those sparklies, making the word that much more obvious to anybody who leaves the screen open for a few seconds before diving in.

(Machkovech)

Sometimes I think the reason people think liberals are uptight, self-righteous bastards is that nobody realizes we have senses of humor. Well, that and everybody seems to think Harry Reid, who has no apparent sense of humor, and Nancy Pelosi, who just isn't funny despite being a joke, are liberals.

Sometimes I think the reason people think liberals are uptight, self-righteous bastards is that nobody realizes we have senses of humor.

No, I think people think liberals are uptight, self-righteous bastards is because liberals ARE uptight, self-righteous bastards.

Baron Max

Real men suck?

Source: Slog
Link: http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/11/real_men_arent_afraid_to_suck_on_straws
Title: "Real Men Aren't Afraid to Suck Straws", by Dan Savage
Date: November 9, 2007

Awesome. Dan covers a recent study released by a British sociologist:

Sociologist Dr. Eric Anderson, studying American men who had played football in high school, said that out of 47 men surveyed, 19 had participated in sexual conduct with others of their gender.

(Savage)

Everyone concedes the small sample size, but Anderson notes some interesting results:

"I wanted to see what would happen when you take men who used to be football players and you put them in a field with the people they used to make fun of, the cheerleaders. And what I found was that they very quickly undo their homophobia, if they had homophobia. They very quickly change their views about women. And one of the things they do, they very quickly undo the ‘one-drop rule’ of sexuality."

(ibid)

And what is the one-drop rule? Come one, we all know what it is. It is the great double-standard known as the "sufficiently invisible lesbian". As Dan explains:

For the last few decades—ever since gay people started coming out and living openly—the “one-drop rule” has been in force. Any man that messed around with another man, even just once, had to be a fag. Period. But women were able to admit to one or two same-sex crushes and a handful of few same-sex experiences—hell, relationships (LUGs?)—without everyone insisting that they had to be closeted lesbians. And increasingly straight men—real straight men, not messed up closet cases—are insisting that they too can have the odd same-sex experience without being gay.

(ibid)

It's an excellent consideration of an interesting story, and one which Savage contrasts by presenting a nearly-homophobic "news report" from WCBV TV-5 (ABC) in Boston, called "10 Drinks Men Should Never Order". The slideshow notes that men should not drink "Anything with a straw ... it's nearly impossible to look macho or hot when using one".

Dan, of course, makes the obvious point:

Yeah, everyone is going to think you’re gay if you put that straw in your mouth. But sucking your teammate’s cock during a boy-girl-boy threesome? Nothing gay about that, dude. Party on.

(Savage)

And as Kevin Hamm noted in the comments:

No, for real? You can't suck a straw, it's girly, but put that beer bottle, the long-necked, thick, sweating nectar-filled glass dick and just gently sip the foaming flow from it while everyone watches you.

The martini is much less phallic, but 'real men' love beer in bottles. Go figure.

(Hamm)

Awesome. Hets are getting funnier all the time.

Oh, yeah. Watch out for comment #20, which answers a straight woman's question about how gay men have sex.

And one last note: If you watch the "10 Drinks" slideshow, check the links at the end:

View Most Popular Slideshows

• 10 Drinks Men Should Never Order

• Three Killed At Power Plant​

(WCBV)

Last edited:
Don't Ask, Don't Tell ... Don't Bother?

Source: New York Times
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us/30military.html
Title: "A New Push to Roll Back 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'", by Thom Shanker and Patrick Healy
Date: November 30, 2007

When I read the headline, I thought, "Oh, shit, now what?" The phrase "roll back" settled poorly in my mind. Turns out it's good news:

Marking the 14th anniversary of legislation that allowed gay men and lesbians to serve in the military but only if they kept their orientation secret, 28 retired generals and admirals plan to release a letter on Friday urging Congress to repeal the law.

"We respectfully urge Congress to repeal the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy," the letter says. "Those of us signing this letter have dedicated our lives to defending the rights of our citizens to believe whatever they wish."

The retired officers offer data showing that 65,000 gay men and lesbians now serve in the American armed forces and that there are more than one million gay veterans.

"They have served our nation honorably," the letter states ....

.... Although the signers of the letter are high-ranking, none are of the stature of Gen. John M. Shalikashvili, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff when the policy was adopted and who now argues for its repeal. General Shalikashvili refocused attention on the issue earlier this year when he wrote that conversations with military personnel had prompted him to change his position.

The current generation of Americans entering the armed services have proved to him "that gays and lesbians can be accepted by their peers," the general wrote in an Op-Ed article published in The New York Times on Jan. 2.

"I now believe that if gay men and lesbians served openly in the United States military, they would not undermine the efficacy of the armed forces," General Shalikashvili wrote. "Our military has been stretched thin by our deployments in the Middle East, and we must welcome the service of any American who is willing and able to do the job."

(Shanker and Healy)

Some numbers from the article:

From the time the policy became law through 2006, just over 10,000 members of the armed forces have been forced from the military under the policy, according to government statistics.

According to the Pentagon, the number of service members discharged under the policy has declined noticeably since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, dropping to 612 in the 2006 fiscal year from 1,227 in the 2001 fiscal year.

(ibid)

There really doesn't seem to be much point in repeating the old joke that the military is more afraid of gays than al Qaeda. I'm not sure the military could afford to rid itself of 65,000 members right now. Talk of "going South" during Vietnam meant shooting yourself in the foot in an effort to get away from the front lines. I'm not sure how many people actually did that. But if the military purged 65,000 people from its ranks while obliging others to extended tours and terms of service, we might see a new phenomenon in Iraq, aptly named "going down".

No, I think people think liberals are uptight, self-righteous bastards is because liberals ARE uptight, self-righteous bastards.

Baron Max

You're NOT uptight and self-righteous?!?!? PLEASE!!! You couldn't describe yourself any more accurately. :)

Gia is right you know. To constantly measure yourself by saying you are something, is only a smokescreen for something more personal...

Giambattista said:

Come over for a visit, and we can kiss.

Careful, now. Sexual harassment ain't right, y'know. Best to not rush him.

Baron Max

But you come off as an uptight, self-righteous bastard--does that mean that you are...GASP...a liberal?

Mod Hat - Oh, come now

Mod Hat - Oh, come now

MaxG said:

But you come off as an uptight, self-righteous bastard--does that mean that you are...GASP...a liberal?

If it's not already clear, Baron Max is one of several members who receive special protection against such criticism. Despite their minimal and oft-malicious "contributions" to this community, they are not to be criticized for their behavior, as they are generally unable to tell the difference between their own mean-spirited tripe and criticism of observable behavior. We are expected to give them free rein to be as rude, mean, and irrational as they choose to be, and it is generally expected that nobody should oppose, criticize, or refute them. After all, we must be fair.

Thus: no more.

Back