The down side of being an atheist.

Yeah, the floating dream was. Definitely. The demon dreams, though, man, weren't quite so cool. :eek: :D In both cases, I fell back to sleep, but for those minutes that I was awake, I was scared to death.

Mosheh Thezion said:
YOU PEOPLE ARE MORONS... WHAT do you think the nurses are there for??

they must keep you awake... because if you pass out.. you can die.

a rapid loss of blood pressure causes a black out.. and the body responds in the same way it does if you arm was cut open and bleeeding..

it thinks you are dieing.. and starts to shut down.

you people either dont give blood, or just never ask questions..

i have given blood once.. and i asked alot of questions.

this is common knowledge that any idiot should know.
when blood is draining from your body... it should happen slowly.. to aviod death.

-MT

Ha! Haha! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! This is funnier than the "moatoe"!

cato said:
the downside for me, is that I loose a great deal of respect for people who go Abrahamist.

I posted a thread about a female friend of mine that converted last summer, she was one of people I admired most. now she repeats the doctrine of her church and throws around words like intelligent designer (because it has become more beneficial for churches to push their doctrine saying that instead of creator), and completely ignoring the weak anthropic principal, something that we sat next to each other and learned, while making arguments for a creator.

I used to want to be more like her (great schoolwork ethic), now I feel like a she has become a crack addict and I should have an intervention, but you can't have an intervention when everyone is a crack head.

By your reasoning, you would call Sir Isaac Newton, the founder of physics and co-inventor of calculus, a crack head. He was a Christian and a bible scholar. So was George Washington Carver, greatest black scientist in America; he was also a Christian believer.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: Yeah, when I was a good Catholic, I saw the Virgin Mary dancing on the hood of my car as I was driving my children to school. At that time I had read all of Hal Lindsay's books, and one night while I was reading, I thought I saw the devil in my house about to attack me. Now, I realize they were all figments of my imagination. These events didn't really happen, but my mind created them due to my christian indoctrination. Yet, when I visited The Vatican, expecting to have the mother of all religious hallucinations, all I saw was evil human indoctrination to a dying demigod savior that wasn't even real! Then I realized the whole world had been duped, and this shrine was nothing more than a pagan Roman worship altar and christianity simply didn't exist as we had been told and believed.

Real Christianity does exist. However, I (and many others) don't consider Roman catholicism to be real Christianity. Isaac Newton, a real Christian, didn't consider catholicism to be real Christianity either.
Real christianity is in the King James version New Testament.
Roman catholicism, through the centuries, has devised catholic dogma, which in many instances contradicts the New Testament and the real teachings of christianity.
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/160/160cont.asp
Details about how roman catholicism contradicts the bible at that website.
Online book, UNDERSTANDING ROMAN CATHOLICISM
Jesus said that many would think they are Christians, and really serving God, and they would be mistaken, and end up in hell.
The real Christians that follow the New Testament are fewer people, than the many who think they are real Christians and are not.

ghost7584 said:
Jesus said that many would think they are Christians, and really serving God, and they would be mistaken, and end up in hell.

And this is your moral guiding light? Jesus the Jokester? Jesus the Trickster? You think you are a "REAL CHRISTIAN"? What a fucking joke. What a cruel fucking joke. You are an asshole to follow this shit. If this is your morality "HA! Fooled ya! You thought you were doing MY work but... NOPE! See ya in HELL!" then I'd support your immediate extermination. Rabid drooling moron.

ghost7584 said:
Jesus said...
Jesus was mentally imbalanced! He was a psychopath with a messiah complex. He led stupid people on for stupid reasons. His execution was well-deserved and reasonable. Roma Victor.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: Yeah, when I was a good Catholic, I saw the Virgin Mary dancing on the hood of my car as I was driving my children to school. At that time I had read all of Hal Lindsay's books, and one night while I was reading, I thought I saw the devil in my house about to attack me. Now, I realize they were all figments of my imagination. These events didn't really happen, but my mind created them due to my christian indoctrination. Yet, when I visited The Vatican, expecting to have the mother of all religious hallucinations, all I saw was evil human indoctrination to a dying demigod savior that wasn't even real! Then I realized the whole world had been duped, and this shrine was nothing more than a pagan Roman worship altar and christianity simply didn't exist as we had been told and believed.
This is a much better example to illustrate a point you tried to make elsewhere, about religion and mental illness, which I wrote against. I had no idea that religious fanatics like Lindsay could actually inculcate hallucinations of demons in their own house, in a stressed and vulnerable person. M*W, I don't always approve of your virulent tone when it comes to religion, but I am very glad that you managed to see sense before being pushed by religious fanaticism down the path to utter lunacy.

superluminal said:
Note that if they were alive today, they would all be atheists. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed? Certainly the probability that they would be atheists would be significantly higher. But some would still opt for theism, just as there are brilliant scientists alive today that are theists.

People are not either all rational or all irrational, there are an infinite number of shades of gray in between.

I'm reminded of this everyday by the fact that where I work, we have a number of truly talented engineers that continue to smoke. Some of them are significantly more technically capable and intelligent than I will ever be. But there is nothing rational or intelligent about smoking, it is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, for no other reason than you have allowed yourself to become a slave to a drug. "How can you be intelligent and smoke?" I used to ask. Well, you can. Same thing goes with religion. But at least with religion if you are careful about it, it will not lower your life expectancy.

Muslim said:
I believe in evolution what the hell are you on about, 90% of Muslims believe in evolution, in the golden age of the Islamic empire. That is what was taut in Islamic schools.

By the way what museums?
Drumheller, Alberta for one, has some dinosaurs for ya.

superluminal said:
Note that if they were alive today, they would all be atheists. Guaranteed.

my guess is that they would have been agnostics, reasonable people usually are
though newton was a little bitter, wasn't he? yeah, maybe he'd be an atheist

i'm just joking, please dont tear my e-guts
:D

Lerxst said:
People are not either all rational or all irrational, there are an infinite number of shades of gray in between.

I'm reminded of this everyday by the fact that where I work, we have a number of truly talented engineers that continue to smoke. Some of them are significantly more technically capable and intelligent than I will ever be. But there is nothing rational or intelligent about smoking, it is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, for no other reason than you have allowed yourself to become a slave to a drug. "How can you be intelligent and smoke?" I used to ask. Well, you can. Same thing goes with religion. But at least with religion if you are careful about it, it will not lower your life expectancy.

see, i think you strike right at the heart of the point here. where you say "look this guy is a genius and he smokes even though it could kill him, and hes still a genius" i would say "look, this guy can figure out how to build the electronic brain that controls the space shuttle, but he cant even figure out not to smoke, what an idiot". this proves that how smart you are isnt all how intelligent you are. i would argue that a quantum physicist is still an idiot if he doesnt know enough to say, not put his hand in front of the blade on a table saw. smartness is proven through action. intellectual capability and potential for understanding abstract concepts are crucial parts of commiting intelligent acts. i would say you are still an idiot if you can be a brilliant architect and envision an elegant, functional building from conception all the way to reality, but somehow cannot see the big picture of religion's inherent impossibility, and the indirect negative effect of your belief in and support of a system that inevitably, over and over again throughout history results in violence, intolerance, and death.

charles cure said:
see, i think you strike right at the heart of the point here. where you say "look this guy is a genius and he smokes even though it could kill him, and hes still a genius" i would say "look, this guy can figure out how to build the electronic brain that controls the space shuttle, but he cant even figure out not to smoke, what an idiot". this proves that how smart you are isnt all how intelligent you are. i would argue that a quantum physicist is still an idiot if he doesnt know enough to say, not put his hand in front of the blade on a table saw. smartness is proven through action. intellectual capability and potential for understanding abstract concepts are crucial parts of commiting intelligent acts. i would say you are still an idiot if you can be a brilliant architect and envision an elegant, functional building from conception all the way to reality, but somehow cannot see the big picture of religion's inherent impossibility, and the indirect negative effect of your belief in and support of a system that inevitably, over and over again throughout history results in violence, intolerance, and death.

Intelligence is complex. There is more than one type of intelligence also. So one may be a genius in music or art but another maybe an imbecile in that department but a genius in math. Some lack common sense. Just because you have a keen insight or ability or talent in one area, even something as complex as quantum physics does not mean you understand everything. Its that simple. Its possible that someone past, present, future could be a perfectly well-rounded, panoramic visionary and genius. But then we'd have to call it 'god'. :D

iam said:
Intelligence is complex. There is more than one type of intelligence also. So one may be a genius in music or art but another maybe an imbecile in that department but a genius in math. Some lack common sense. Just because you have a keen insight or ability or talent in one area, even something as complex as quantum physics does not mean you understand everything. Its that simple. Its possible that someone past, present, future could be a perfectly well-rounded, panoramic visionary and genius. But then we'd have to call it 'god'. :D

right, but if youre taking the person as a whole, you have to make a judgement about which aspects of their intellect are more important when it comes to making practical decisions that guide their actions through everyday life. if a person is an artistic genius that does not negate a complete misunderstanding of mathematics on his part, and will not help him when he has to calculate the tip after dinner at a restaurant. so, a person can be a genius in one specific area, and have little more intelligence than a retarded person when it comes to functioning in everyday social settings. but a great work of art or the ability to invent a new kind of microscope wont stop you from getting hit by a car if you dont know to look both ways before you cross the street. what matters in terms of intelligence is its practical application across a broad range of situations. unless you are somehow intelligent enough to live in a self-contained and controlled environment where you dont hav e to worry about any factors that arent in your control, which im pretty sure doesnt exist.

charles cure said:
what matters in terms of intelligence is its practical application across a broad range of situations.

You answered your own query. Some people do not have practical intelligence. You also have to look at practicality in context. Yes, it sure would help their life greatly. But that does not mean they do not have anything to offer to society. If there is someone who can come up with a cure for cancer but he/she lacks common sense, thats not for you to judge on how well they manage other aspects of their life. Hence, their intelligence matters also, in some cases greatly.

Last edited:
charles cure said:

To modify Newton's famous statement, then, we can only see as far as we do because we stand on the shoulders of idiots. Using your method of classification, many of the great minds fall into this category, after all.

The problem here is that religion is such a broad term. Let's look at two possible scenarios for your architect example:

Architect Bob designs and builds state-of-the-art buildings, and is also a fundamentalist, creationist, bible-thumping southern baptist. He uses bible passages to support his involvement in the KKK. He supports the idea of trying to Christianize the middle east. He makes snap judgements of everyone he meets based on their professed beliefs and church attendance. When someone in need asks for help, he might help them, depending on the color of their skin.

Architect Steve designs and builds state-of-the-art buildings, and he is a deist. He rarely communicates this to anyone. He does not support political causes that promote religious worldviews. His actions and treatment of other people is entirely rational and humanistic. He understands the violent past of organized religion, is appalled by it, and says so. Once in a while he might attend a service at a Unitarian church. Otherwise his beliefs are his private concern. But when someone less well off asks him for help, and he is capable of helping, he does the right thing.

They are both religious. Are they both idiots? Do they deserve to be put in the same cubbyhole? Is Steve somehow an accomplice to the evils done in the name of religion through history? If I only tell you that Bob and Steve are religious, you'd make your snap judgement that they are both idiots - but with more information, can you really do that? Even if you still find deism an idiotic idea, you cannot put these two people in the same category. What is critical in these judgements, to me at least, is to look at what people do, not what they think. Two people can share the same religious ideas and act on them very differently. Therefore it is not the religious idea that is the root cause of the action. It might be necessary, but not sufficient, for idiotic behavior. Although I'd argue against that myself - plenty of human evil has been generated without the help of religion.

It takes more than one word to describe something as complex as a human being and I don't see the merit in reaching for the first pejorative term that comes to mind to describe someone whose personal beliefs happen to put them under a very, very large umbrella of ideas - even if certain other notions under that umbrella have proven to be dangerous or idiotic.

It is like saying "John is idiotic because he supports the idea of government-and we all know that governments have brutally killed millions upon millions of people."

Last edited:
Lerxst: A minor nit to be picked. Einstein, not Newton, made the remark about a pygmy standing on the shoulders of a giant being able to see farther than the giant.

He was referring to himself, with Newton being the giant.

Dinosaur said:
Lerxst: A minor nit to be picked. Einstein, not Newton, made the remark about a pygmy standing on the shoulders of a giant being able to see farther than the giant.

He was referring to himself, with Newton being the giant.

Einstein may have said something like that, but Newton was the first to use the phrase.

Here is a reference from Oxford Dictionary:

http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/quotations/quotefrom/giants/?view=uk

Consider your nit unpicked.... :D :D

Lerxst said:
To modify Newton's famous statement, then, we can only see as far as we do because we stand on the shoulders of idiots. Using your method of classification, many of the great minds fall into this category, after all.

The problem here is that religion is such a broad term. Let's look at two possible scenarios for your architect example:

Architect Bob designs and builds state-of-the-art buildings, and is also a fundamentalist, creationist, bible-thumping southern baptist. He uses bible passages to support his involvement in the KKK. He supports the idea of trying to Christianize the middle east. He makes snap judgements of everyone he meets based on their professed beliefs and church attendance. When someone in need asks for help, he might help them, depending on the color of their skin.

Architect Steve designs and builds state-of-the-art buildings, and he is a deist. He rarely communicates this to anyone. He does not support political causes that promote religious worldviews. His actions and treatment of other people is entirely rational and humanistic. He understands the violent past of organized religion, is appalled by it, and says so. Once in a while he might attend a service at a Unitarian church. Otherwise his beliefs are his private concern. But when someone less well off asks him for help, and he is capable of helping, he does the right thing.

here is the flaw in your example, architect steve is not religious. he believes in a god, but not in a religion. he doesnt support a religion, and does what in my view, is the right thing - keeps his beliefs to himself and doesnt foist doctrine on to others or society as a whole. deism is not an organized religion. it is a nearly defunct philosophical stance taken by people who saw the damaging effects of religion, were committed to the priciples of natural law, and who would probably be atheists if they were born today, given the increased amount of personal freedom of thought and expression in todays western societies as compared with theirs.

It is like saying "John is idiotic because he supports the idea of government-and we all know that governments have brutally killed millions upon millions of people."

i actually kind of agree with that statement, except that i believe government to be an inveitable result of the formation of human society because of the need for mutual defense and protection from outside threats to safety. i do not believe that religion or religious belief is equally necessary or inevitable as government.

Back