The down side of being an atheist.

charles cure:

Interesting that you draw a line between "religion" and "belief in god." I guess I see these as being one in the same. I think what you call religion I tend to call "organized religion."

That being said, I have no interest in 99% of organized religion, I'd like to see that 99% gone and I think humanity would be better off for it. But unless we change significantly as humans, some other socal institiution will need to take it's place. This is why I am sympathetic to liberal Christianity such Unitarianism, although I don't subscribe to it's ideas. If every religious person treated it the way Jefferson treated his religion, for example, I don't think we'd have any reason to complain about them.

Lerxst said:
charles cure:

Interesting that you draw a line between "religion" and "belief in god." I guess I see these as being one in the same. I think what you call religion I tend to call "organized religion."

That being said, I have no interest in 99% of organized religion, I'd like to see that 99% gone and I think humanity would be better off for it. But unless we change significantly as humans, some other socal institiution will need to take it's place. This is why I am sympathetic to liberal Christianity such Unitarianism, although I don't subscribe to it's ideas. If every religious person treated it the way Jefferson treated his religion, for example, I don't think we'd have any reason to complain about them.

unitarianism is actualy something i dont mind, because it is so watered down and tolerant that at this point its basically just a bunch of people getting together to say they believe in god and feel ok about it. i guess thats what you get when your sect was founded by a guy who was burnt at the stake by john calvin over an argument about the relevance of the trinity.

charles cure said:
unitarianism is actualy something i dont mind, because it is so watered down and tolerant that at this point its basically just a bunch of people getting together to say they believe in god and feel ok about it. i guess thats what you get when your sect was founded by a guy who was burnt at the stake by john calvin over an argument about the relevance of the trinity.

So, would you consider Unitarianism a religion, or not?

Back