The Confused Athiest

"God exists" is a proposition; my position is:

• Total voters
stance as in "implicit" assumptions?
any discourse would require a common ground
points of reference
axiomatic assumptions

dogma however, is an entirely different matter

Not necessarily implicit and not necessarily assumptions.
A stance can be a matter of knowledge or of conviction.

hardly a distinction of note

But dogma does not preclude discussion.

dogma

1 a: something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet
b: a code of such tenets <pedagogical dogma
c: a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds

2: a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church

tell me why it does not
the rule rather than exceptions please

tell me why it does not
the rule rather than exceptions please

Why dogma does not preclude discussion:

Dogmatic discussion is possible if only one party holds a dogmatic stance, while the other one doesn't.

For example, the math teacher holds a dogmatic stance when teaching math; no matter what the students say, the math teacher will not budge from the body of knowledge that is called math.
Yet plenty of discussion is possible on the topic of math between the math teacher and his students.

But when both parties hold dogmatic stances, discussion isn't really possible or meaningful - but the two can certainly still talk for hours on end.

Elementary school and high-school math, as taught in elementary schools and high-schools (but even at the college level) is dogmatic. Like the alphabet, it is considered a given, an axiom, not something yet to be discovered or discussed about and agreed upon by all involved.

What do you mean?

Dogma claims to be universal; that is part of why it is considered dogma in the first place.

the term exists to distinguish a pov from other pov's
it is a misnomer when used in 1-a, the quoted dic def

Okay, to recap: Why are we having this discussion about dogma? How is it relevant to the topic?

I want to address it, this is why I asked the questions in post no. 90.

irrelevant
post $89 requires no context other than term=dogma
it is a series of assertions

assess
comment

thank you

When Dawkins says that he's agnostic about God to the same extent that he's agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden, don't you think that he's asserting a belief in the non-existence of God?

No, Dawkins is confident to a very high degree of probability there are no gods. But, as any good scientist will tell you, one cannot be absolutely certain, in the same manner that a theory must be considered falsifiable.

How does belief imply ignorance?
Don't you believe there are no fairies at the bottom of the garden?

the term exists to distinguish a pov from other pov's
it is a misnomer when used in 1-a, the quoted dic def

Dogma does not consider itself a point of view.
Dogma will say that others are merely points of view, but that it -dogma- is not merely a point of view, but truth, something which is beyond the relativism of the notion of point of view.

Calling dogma a point of view is extraneous to dogma; calling dogma a point of view is to claim that some other reality (namely the one of calling dogma a point of view) is absolutely true, ie. dogma.

One cannot beat down one dogma other by using another dogma. And even then, neither of the dogmatic parties will admit defeat.

Back