The Confused Athiest

"God exists" is a proposition; my position is:

• Total voters
I have the book, its great! :)

So just out of curiosity, how do you define yourself?

So just out of curiosity, how do you define yourself?

I don't really. If anything, I am like water - shapeless, tasteless, colorless, flowing, freezing, permeating, embracing, disappearing and reappearing. Not one or the other, but still something.
The rest - that which I define with "for all practical purposes" - is the stuff that mixes with water, floats in it, sinks in it, freezes or heats it, dams it or releases it.

I don't really. If anything, I am like water - shapeless, tasteless, colorless, flowing, freezing, permeating, embracing, disappearing and reappearing. Not one or the other, but still something.
The rest - that which I define with "for all practical purposes" - is the stuff that mixes with water, floats in it, sinks in it, freezes or heats it, dams it or releases it.

So, undefined rather than undecided. Must be torture.

Isn't that what rejecting God is all about? Being able to separate oneself from those who do?

No, it is about rejecting the claims of the various religions, yours included. There is no difference between your unfounded, unsubstantiated claims for your god as there is for any other theist.

A typical response would be: okay, so what?

The typical responses to theists claims are, demonstrate your claims. Simple, really.

Sometimes I wickedly provoke them to see how stubbornly they are willing to cling to clearly meaningless details. Not surprisingly, the hardheadedness becomes more evident as the "discussion" proceeds.

It's called, "intellectual dishonesty" on your part. It's little wonder your discussions turn south.

Sometimes it is torture, other times it is bliss.

I can't imagine such a state, I like things nice and tidy, making sense to me, even if they don't to anyone else.

But it doesn't seem to have been my decision to be this way to begin with
Ah, yes, the illusions of free will can be deeply entrenched.

It's called, "intellectual dishonesty" on your part. It's little wonder your discussions turn south.

I'm not in the mood, otherwise I would put you on the glass slide again. :cool:

I'm not in the mood, otherwise I would put you on the glass slide again. :cool:

Come now, Sam, we all know you're always in the mood for intellectual dishonesty. One need only look at your 38K posts to confirm.

Wish you had an option for I believe all existing human assertions of 'God' are false, but otherwise I don't know if some omnipotent life form exists (but doubt it).

SAM said:
But in fact I have come to a judgment in the matter, namely that the entity you call God does not exist, and that the arguments for its existence are not just inadequate but fundamentally nonsensical.

So is that what you would accept as "agnostic" ?

Not agnostic, ignostic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Though you sound like the standard atheist.
I am a standard kind of atheist. There is no need to go searching for arcane words. And you are a common type of theist in your reactions to that - very familiar, from the projections of "belief" and the attributions of amorality to the assumption of megalomania and anti-religious bigotry to the refusal of credit for virtue in anyone without a professed God.
SAM said:
You can't both not believe there is a God and simultaneously not know.
Yes you can. I do. Degrees of uncertainty, SAM - one's best judgment, in the circumstances. Adult, grownup, mature approaches to complex matters. They are possible.
SAM said:
The way I see it is, if you are asked by someone, what is your religion? And you say, "I am an atheist", and the person does not know, for some reason, what you mean, looks up the dictionary and finds the meaning

"atheism: the doctrine or belief that there is no God "
If someone tells you they are atheist, they probably aren't telling you what their religion is. Almost no one has atheism as a religion. If in America, try making sure they understand you aren't using the question as a wedge for evangelising.

And you need a better dictionary - one with more of the common meanings, and usage advice. In a culture dominated by theists and ideologues, you get a lot of strange definitions of politico/religious words in the less careful dictionaries - look up "anti-Semitism", for example, and see if enmity toward the country of Israel is one of the definitions.
SAM said:
People are embarassed to discuss it, for various reasons, - - Sometimes I wickedly provoke them to see how stubbornly they are willing to cling
Lacking the unfortunate atheist's perspective, you may not be aware how common your brand of BS is in the US. That's not always embarrassment you're meeting - it's sometimes wariness.
SAM said:
But as soon as I am reproved (as DH did the other day) I immediately recognise it, so its a plus.
No, you don't.
greenberg said:
I don't find myself on your list. 1) is close, but you insist on such qualifiers as "unassailable", similar to the qualifiers elsewhere, which mislead. And they mislead in a particular direction, I've noticed. Pride, belief in unassailable arguments, heedlessness - the atheists are not an admirable lot, are they.

Hey, its the standard definition. If you interpret it in a different way, I can understand that. Its common in religion to not have a standard interpretation of words.

But

atheism: doctrine or belief that there is no God.

Interpret it as you like.

Hey, its the standard definition. If you interpret it in a different way, I can understand that. Its common in religion to not have a standard interpretation of words.
Yes. And how convenient for them.

It's also standard for them to have no evidence and no rational argument. It makes things far more easier.

But

atheism: doctrine or belief that there is no God.

Interpret it as you like.
The belief of unbelief.
I, also, believe there is no pot of gold at the end of those rainbows, I endlessly run after.
Still can't prove it thuogh. I'm just a blind, inane, clownish believer.

We have so much in common, you and I.

I don't find myself on your list. 1) is close, but you insist on such qualifiers as "unassailable", similar to the qualifiers elsewhere, which mislead. And they mislead in a particular direction, I've noticed. Pride, belief in unassailable arguments, heedlessness - the atheists are not an admirable lot, are they.

I also said that there may be more reasons for why a person calls themselves an atheist; in that list, I outlined those that seem most common.

Where's the option?

"None of the above - theists are unable to demonstrate their propositions."

Back