The Confused Athiest

"God exists" is a proposition; my position is:

• Total voters
It does if the claimant claims certainty based on belief.
That's not good logic, Q.
Some people claim certainty based on belief... but so what?
It doesn't imply that believing something to be true requires being certain that it is true.

SAM:

Many atheists would say that they don't know if God exists or not, but they see no reason to believe in God because the evidence simply is not strong enough to justify such a belief.

Okay, what would such an atheist consider as evidence?

You've done science, have you not? You work in a scientific area.

What kind of thing do you consider evidence sufficient to justify a belief that a certain diet is good or bad for you?

Now apply the same kind of reasoning to question of whether belief in God is justified by evidence. What do you conclude?

No, Dawkins is confident to a very high degree of probability there are no gods. But, as any good scientist will tell you, one cannot be absolutely certain, in the same manner that a theory must be considered falsifiable.

Science, apart from geometrical and mathematical proofs, works by what is probable within a reasonable doubt. By this standard, there is no God.

SAM said:
Okay, what would such an atheist consider as evidence?
If a prophet made a risky and specific prediction that later came true. For instance, if they predicted that on December 26th, a tsunami in the Idian ocean would kill tens of thousands of people.

I often think it's interesting that some theists think belief in Xenu/Allah is rational by any stretch of the imagination.

I've pretty much given up on any pretense of logical debate. It's pointless.

Just how long did SouthStar debate before he came to the epiphany that there may not be a God? How young was he? It probably become less and less probable that such epiphanies can be made after a certain age as brain plasticity slows with age. Not to mention individual physical parameters.

I vote "proposition", but I don't really feel it's a testable one.

Perhaps we need a NEW religous subforum where all people who enter such forum MUST check a box that stipulates that they agree that at the present there is no more evidence or logical explanation for God than there is for Xenu or FSM. Perhaps all participants should also agree it's not possible to "prove" FSM etal. doesn't exist.

Some sort of checked box to even read the question of debate - so at least that way the only people who enter will have at least put that much of an effort forward.

Just how long did SouthStar debate before he came to the epiphany that there may not be a God? How young was he? It probably become less and less probable that such epiphanies can be made after a certain age as brain plasticity slows with age. Not to mention individual physical parameters.

For me, the change happened between 25 and 30.

Perhaps we need a NEW religous subforum where all people who enter such forum MUST check a box that stipulates that they agree that at the present there is no more evidence or logical explanation for God than there is for Xenu or FSM. Perhaps all participants should also agree it's not possible to "prove" FSM etal. doesn't exist.

Some sort of checked box to even read the question of debate - so at least that way the only people who enter will have at least put that much of an effort forward.
erm the whole FSM trip is one of evidence, not logic
:eek:

What do you mean not logic?

Evidence ties pretty close to logic wouldn't you say?
ex:
'evidence' is used in courts of law when trying to determine if a statement is true and it is seen that this is a logical approach to determine what really happened.

IS the following statement true?
There is equal evidence for the existence of God as there is for the existence of FSM.

True or False

That would be false, Michael. The FSM (or Russell's teapot) analogy illustrates one particular idea - that of the onus of proof. The analogy shouldn't be taken any further than that.

There is evidence for God (historical documents, accounts of miraculous events) - the question is whether that evidence is good/reliable enough. Obviously, an atheist considers it to be not good enough.

Just how long did SouthStar debate before he came to the epiphany that there may not be a God?

There is evidence for God (historical documents, accounts of miraculous events) - the question is whether that evidence is good/reliable enough. Obviously, an atheist considers it to be not good enough.

And there are theists who don't consider that sort of evidence to be enough, either.
There are different kinds of theism, with very different doctrines. It is unfair to treat them as if they were all the same.

Most of the atheism that goes on at this forum is specifically atheism shaped against a particular form of Christianese, while ignoring other doctrines about God and how one can come to believe in God.

Good point. Onus of proof

Could we then instead ask this:

Is the following statement true?

The contemporary proof that a God exists is equivalent to the contemporary proof that a FSM exists.

Good point. Onus of proof

Could we then instead ask this:

Is the following statement true?

The contemporary proof that a God exists is equivalent to the contemporary proof that a FSM exists.
not really, since there are a host of normative descriptions that go with God and essentially none that go with the FSM - Russell's analogy is a response to the (often christian) backed claim that all you have to just "believe" in god (which is not a particularly suave normative description) ... and for that purpose, the analogy works fine.
As Greenberg points out however, there are other approaches within theistic philosophy.

That's not good logic, Q.
Some people claim certainty based on belief... but so what?
It doesn't imply that believing something to be true requires being certain that it is true.

I see your point, agreed. There may not be a requirement to be certain.

In the case of theists being certain about their doctrines based on their beliefs, is it a requirement?

I'm confused...

You're athi,
I'm athier,
he's athiest ?
M*W: And with that said, Iasion..., I think we need a new sub-forum on Atheism, because Atheism is not a religion, it deserves its own sub-forum. However, that would probably open the can of worms that is christianity, Islam, and all the rest who are fooled by their deities. Thank the non-existing gods for the moderators!

BTW, there is no such thing as "a confused atheist."

Back