Thank God I'm An Atheist (Warning: STRONG Content)

§outh§tar said:
As long as He was responsible for their placement in the globe, in an earthquake prone zone, near an oasis, in a desert, in a rainforest, in rich farmland, He is the Prime Mover. And we already know the implications of a Prime Mover. We are only dominoes; we are only meant to fall.
Only in your deterministic model of creation. You do not allow for a God that may also create free will, by giving us options and letting us choose.

You could test your own model this way: Do you believe that reality is 'in order' - i.e. that everything is as it should be? And remember, if your model is consistent, your answer is already determined by your premises.

SouthStar is banned for insulting -- oh, how freewillish of him! -- but until he comes back, I'll take up the discussion:

Jenyar said:
Only in your deterministic model of creation. You do not allow for a God that may also create free will, by giving us options and letting us choose.

And you know why he doesn't "allow" for such a god? Because he sees no reason to "allow" for such a god. His point is just as valid as yours.

You could test your own model this way: Do you believe that reality is 'in order' - i.e. that everything is as it should be? And remember, if your model is consistent, your answer is already determined by your premises.

Answer 1: "Everything is not as it should be."
Answer 2: "Everything is as it should be."

And?
Explain what exactly does your question test.

P.S.
And SouthStar does have a new theory of free will in the making, about a nature-given free will.

Hello

I am an new member to this forum and I have to say I am a little concerned at some of the posts on this thread. A great number of the "Christians" posting here seem to have IMHO misinterpretated the Christian Doctorine. Southstar asks a very valid question right at the beginning and it is one that has been asked by many athiests and people searching for a thiestic reasoning to the parts of their faith they are not happy about.

Why does a God who promises help to people, cause people in third world nations to suffer as shown in the graphic photos at the beginning of this thread.

Well if you understand the process of the NT in the bible you may begin to see how the Christian Doctorine approaches this issue. I once read somewhere that God underwent three humiliations for us. One was the incarnation into Jesus. The second was suffering through the cross and the third was to work his will through very falluable (sp) human beings aka "The Body of Christ". He has given it to us the ability to stop sufferring and he is taking a great risk in trusting us to do this. This is where the Holy Spirit comes in and works through us to do good works that Christ talked about in the NT. This is God working.

Whether or not you believe any of that is entirely up to you. But this is the Christian Doctorine. This is what being a christian truely means. And of course it is a job that many of us spectacularly fail to meet, including myself. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with God or the Doctorine itself, it is usually our interpretation of it. The crusades, the inquisition, the vatican treasure hordes, these are not "Christian" acts. Don't judge Christianity on the examples of people misuing the idea. Look more to examples of Mother Theresa or Dr Paul Brand or the countless missionaries to impoverished countrys to help with the sufferring of people for examples of true Christianity at work. Granted there are just as many athiests out there doing exactly the same as well as well as other people of different beliefs and IMHO, they might not know it but they are doing Gods work as well.

God does not cause suffering, but he does is damn best to help relieve it.

As mentioned in many posts in this thread the cause of most human suffering is down to humans. This is true. Even in third world countries Governments would rather spend more on their military budgets than doing anything for their people. They are certainly funding for the wrong battles there. And then why are people allowed to cause evil against their fellow man/woman. Freewill.

Freewill is often seen as a convient tool for christians to use in their arguements and I agree it as become a bit of a cliche. But the fact of the matter is according to the Christian Doctorine this is one of the examples of Gods great love for us. If we had the ability to force people to love us would we be really happy with the love that was given to us. For me personally it would seem false and almost automated. For love to mean anything IMO it needs to be given freely. And God wants us to love him. So once again God has humilated himself to us allowing us to choose whether or not to love him. He totally deserves our love but many of us choose not to give it or even acknowledge he exists. And yet he still strives for us through his Body of Christ.

Southstar goes onto talk about the tsunami and how that is surely an act of evil and why does and all-loving God cause things like that to happen. It truely was a tragic disaster, but it was a natural disaster. God set the physical earth with its laws and rules and even the earth must follow it. Could he have stopped it? Quite possibly? Why didn't he? Who knows? I for one truely believe that there are 170,000 people right now up in heaven kicking back and experiencing pure bliss for the rest of eternity while down here on earth acts of charity and kindness are presented on a scale never seen before in my lifetime. From this disaster, goodness has arisen on a vast scale. And this is God working through Man, his third humilation.

All of above might well seem like an overly optimistic, rose tinted pipe dream, but I would like to believe it to be true.

I guess what I am trying to say in answer to Southstar's question is that God is keeping his promise. However, by working through Humans this promise is happened slowly, but it is indeed happening. And maybe it couldn't have happened any other way. Coming down and displaying a dazziling array of power doesn't work. You only need to read the Old Testament for an example of that. Didn't Israel turn from God again and again and again even though he actually visited them in person and in all his glory. (This works as an allegory and obviously literally if you believe it literally).

God does care more for us than the birds and is trying to feed us and clothe us. He is doing it through us, and I guess we as human beings have a duty to get a bloody move on.

All of course IMHO.

:)

water said:
And you know why he doesn't "allow" for such a god? Because he sees no reason to "allow" for such a god. His point is just as valid as yours.
Of course there would be no reason to allow for anything. He sees no point to allow for free will either, and so has constructed a philosophy around it. I am pointing out an alternative, and I will substantiate it below. Then he is free to consider it or not.

Answer 1: "Everything is not as it should be."
Answer 2: "Everything is as it should be."

And?
If determinism is true, and there is no free will, then the answer must be: everything is as it should be. Everything. There can be no moral qualms, no insecurities, no cognitive dissonance - just a state of being.

I would argue that even "awareness" would be impossible, because it supposes an objective/subjective "outside" to observe ourselves by. Saying something like "we are only dominoes; we are only meant to fall" is robbed of all moral or emotional overtones - it is a statement of things as it should be. Even the word "fall" is robbed of its semantic meaning: there is no up or down.

And this whole thread can do no more than say: everything is as it should be. Yet our resistance to such a world betrays that everything is not as it should be. It is evidence that we at least use measurements that aren't determined by circumstances and "the way things are".
Explain what exactly does your question test.
It tests the coherence, constency and therefore validity of the model.

Jenyar said:
Of course there would be no reason to allow for anything. He sees no point to allow for free will either, and so has constructed a philosophy around it. I am pointing out an alternative, and I will substantiate it below. Then he is free to consider it or not.

It is rather oxymoronic to propose to a determinist that he is "free" to consider something ...

If determinism is true, and there is no free will, then the answer must be: everything is as it should be. Everything. There can be no moral qualms, no insecurities, no cognitive dissonance - just a state of being.

I would argue that even "awareness" would be impossible, because it supposes an objective/subjective "outside" to observe ourselves by. Saying something like "we are only dominoes; we are only meant to fall" is robbed of all moral or emotional overtones - it is a statement of things as it should be. Even the word "fall" is robbed of its semantic meaning: there is no up or down.

Ah, you silly romantic. :p

Everything is as it should be. Everything. This means there are to be endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance.

Deterministic logic says: If they are here, this means that they must be here.

I would argue that even "awareness" would be impossible, because it supposes an objective/subjective "outside" to observe ourselves by.

No no no. If we have awareness, then it must be that we must have it. And we have to see and feel these endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance, obviously. There would be no point in having endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance -- but not be aware of them.

And this whole thread can do no more than say: everything is as it should be. Yet our resistance to such a world betrays that everything is not as it should be. It is evidence that we at least use measurements that aren't determined by circumstances and "the way things are".

No no no again. We are wrong, we are the egoists to resist this world of endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance.

If we use measurements that aren't determined by circumstances this only shows our vanity and our egoism! Our inconsistency!

It tests the coherence, constency and therefore validity of the model.

The model is self-gratifying and self-sustaining. Determinism, nihilism, relativism are irrefutable. At least with verbal arguments.

I presume that with brute physical force (applied one way or another), they could be refuted -- but you won't do that, will you?

Silvertusk said:
And maybe it couldn't have happened any other way.

Shhht!! And you dare use this in an argument against determinism?!

Sorry - My last post was my whole comment on the thread up to now. I obviously came in very late into the discussion here.

But correct me if I am wrong, if you are now talking about predetermination and freewill here, both can exist together. This is explained from a Christian and ID perspective by having a creator existing outside our concept of time and living in the realm of eternity. From this perspective one can see the beginning middle and end in its entirety. So there is an element of predeterminastion (sp) here. Although still in our timeline we are still free to make our own decisions.

Of course this is just a theory.

If I have misinterpretated what you were talking about - I apologise as like I said I have come very late into this thread.

water said:
It is rather oxymoronic to propose to a determinist that he is "free" to consider something ...
Well, if you insist that I talk his language: then he must choose, or rather - then the choice will make him.

Ah, you silly romantic. :p

Everything is as it should be. Everything. This means there are to be endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance.

Deterministic logic says: If they are here, this means that they must be here.
I am known for my silliy notions :) , but let me explain further. Up until this point in time, these things would be "determined", but we cannot determine what the next "determination" should be (or even might be, at quantum level)from here onwards. If the realization of an illusion has happened, then the shedding of that illusion might happen - and it might just as well happen now. If we "had" to go through this wide roundabout route to come to this point, we might as well recognize this point for what it is and determine our way forward.

So to continue my argument: Just the fact that you could say it is a silly romantic notion means you are judging one path as more likely than another as if we determined it. As if SouthStar determines the parameters of what determinism allows or not.

My assertion that moral qualms are not reconcilable with pure determinism is also here, and that means it must be here (If you don't agree with the reasoning, you might at least see the problems caused by it - real problems, not mere philosophical contradictions).

No no no. If we have awareness, then it must be that we must have it. And we have to see and feel these endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance, obviously. There would be no point in having endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance -- but not be aware of them.
Determinism follows the premise that everything has a cause, and the cause determines everything that follows it incontrovertibly. That word alone determines certain things: that dissonance... is dissonant.

No no no again. We are wrong, we are the egoists to resist this world of endless moral qualms, insecurities, cognitive dissonance.

If we use measurements that aren't determined by circumstances this only shows our vanity and our egoism! Our inconsistency!
Resistance is futile, and futility is meaningless. There can be no "vanity" because there is no id, ego or superego. Just an awareness of things happening to us, with us, and in spite of us.

The model is self-gratifying and self-sustaining. Determinism, nihilism, relativism are irrefutable. At least with verbal arguments.

I presume that with brute physical force (applied one way or another), they could be refuted -- but you won't do that, will you?
They might be irrefutable in totum, philosophically - as you say: with verbal arguments. But words only have weight if they correspond to reality, and they way we choose and have chosen to live life itself refutes it, even if it cannot transcend its "logic". In fact, the notion of "transcendence" is so foreign to it that it amounts to an absurdity even beyond pure deterministic absurdity.

What I'm talking about here is not arguments for or against the validity of the model, but the validity of it as an option. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the notion of "options" and "choices" are here, and therefore must be here.

We may not be able to determine our options, but we can choose between them. We *must*, chaotic deterministic momentum won't let us not choose. There have been causes and there must be effects - we cannot stop now. Stalling for time is an illusion of not being swept away.

Silvertusk said:
Sorry - My last post was my whole comment on the thread up to now. I obviously came in very late into the discussion here.

Dontcha worry. :)

But correct me if I am wrong, if you are now talking about predetermination and freewill here, both can exist together. This is explained from a Christian and ID perspective by having a creator existing outside our concept of time and living in the realm of eternity. From this perspective one can see the beginning middle and end in its entirety. So there is an element of predeterminastion (sp) here. Although still in our timeline we are still free to make our own decisions.

I don't agree. This is a to-go-with-your-left-hand-around-your-behind-to-your-right-pocket kind of solution. Moreover, it causes new problems to arise, saying that God exists "outside our concept of time" -- say this, and you'll have to explain how is it that God grants prayers.
Actually, it is even worse than that, as it is unclear, that thing with time.

I'm not a Christian, but I'll offer an explanation:
SouthStar said that one can't have two masters: one cannot serve both free will and God.

Here's your solution:

P1: You have free will which is given to you by God.
P2: To believe in God and serve Him is a matter of choice, not of must or predetermination.
I1: When making choices, you apply your free will.
---------------------------------------
C: To choose God as your master is an act of free will.

I to C: Free will and God are not mutually exclusive, as it is free will that enables you to choose God as your master.

Now we can argue about the validity of the premises, but the conclusion follows.

If I have misinterpretated what you were talking about - I apologise as like I said I have come very late into this thread.

There is no need to apologize.
Welcome to Sciforums!
:)

Jenyar said:

Well, if you insist that I talk his language: then he must choose, or rather - then the choice will make him.

Now we're talking. The choice will make him, for there is no him to make the choice in the first place.

I am known for my silliy notions , but let me explain further. Up until this point in time, these things would be "determined", but we cannot determine what the next "determination" should be (or even might be, at quantum level)from here onwards. If the realization of an illusion has happened, then the shedding of that illusion might happen - and it might just as well happen now. If we "had" to go through this wide roundabout route to come to this point, we might as well recognize this point for what it is and determine our way forward.

So to continue my argument: Just the fact that you could say it is a silly romantic notion means you are judging one path as more likely than another as if we determined it. As if SouthStar determines the parameters of what determinism allows or not.

My assertion that moral qualms are not reconcilable with pure determinism is also here, and that means it must be here (If you don't agree with the reasoning, you might at least see the problems caused by it - real problems, not mere philosophical contradictions).

Look, I'll need to teach you to drink ere you depart, for you can't think like a proper determinist yet.

Perpend: Take a piece of paper and in the middle of it draw a dot. This is the present situation. Where this situation will develop into, there will the next dot be. Now fathom: The next dot can be *anywhere* on the paper. What is determined is the paper and the anywhere. This is ultra SouthStarian (and mine) determinism.

You saying "My assertion that moral qualms are not reconcilable with pure determinism is also here, and that means it must be here" is a dot somewhere on the paper, just as as any other assertion, any other thing.

Dost thou not laugh?
It is so sad as to make a man cry bitter, bitter tears. Yet it is true.

Determinism follows the premise that everything has a cause, and the cause determines everything that follows it incontrovertibly. That word alone determines certain things: that dissonance... is dissonant.

Wooh. That was the determinism of the golden old days of linear causality. Now that we have troubles with linear causality -- for there seems to be no such thing, but rather a holistic causality! --, determinism has changed too. Anything can cause anything, and one has no power over that. Chronic resentment coexisting with skyblue bliss.

Resistance is futile, and futility is meaningless. There can be no "vanity" because there is no id, ego or superego. Just an awareness of things happening to us, with us, and in spite of us.

Ultra determinism powered by holistic causality, I tells you!

They might be irrefutable in totum, philosophically - as you say: with verbal arguments. But words only have weight if they correspond to reality, and they way we choose and have chosen to live life itself refutes it, even if it cannot transcend its "logic". In fact, the notion of "transcendence" is so foreign to it that it amounts to an absurdity even beyond pure deterministic absurdity.

But this principle applies:
You don't have to believe that you are free. But if you believe you are not free, you will continue working as if you're not.
Crudely put: if we believe shit, we will do shit. Life, our actions, DO NOT refute deterministic philosophy.
You can see it everywhere you look: A determinist, a nihilist, a relativist do not accomplish much.

What I'm talking about here is not arguments for or against the validity of the model, but the validity of it as an option. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the notion of "options" and "choices" are here, and therefore must be here.

Well, of course they are there, there is the paper, the next dot can be anywhere on it. But where? Here, holistic causality plays a mean trick (that isn't a trick either ...) and the words "free will" are the tormenting sound of the plash of water that haunts the traveler in the desert.

We may not be able to determine our options, but we can choose between them. We *must*, chaotic deterministic momentum won't let us not choose.

But where is the choice if we MUST choose?!

There have been causes and there must be effects - we cannot stop now. Stalling for time is an illusion of not being swept away.

We know that we are swept away. What now?

The argument from chaos: One dot is only relative to another, no more or less significant. There is no relationship between them, because nihilists cannot fathom relationships.

I believe your inquiry is a 'non-question'. For me to answer is for me to implicitly claim that I know this reality - which I do not. Options are not what they seem to be but I will get to that soon.

I am afraid you are making huge errors here. The absence of determinism is not free will and the absence of free will is not determinism. In fact, if I remember correctly, it has been claimed that the two are not mutually exclusive. Determinism does not imply that everything is as it should be (as least not the one I am advocating). Water was more on the money when she spoke of holistic causality as opposed to linear causality. From what I can tell, we, by nature, are inclined to see everything in terms of linear causality. We simply cannot see the "big picture"; we can only see: the glass falls >> it hits the ground >> it smashes >> it makes a sound. To draw on what Silvertusk has said, we cannot see reality outside of time - we are a part of it - and so this practice of assuming our knowledge of reality is "true" is fallacious in itself. Because we are a part of reality and cannot view it as a whole, we can logicall only see a portion of it, and thus our knowledge is not holistic but rather linear. But note the implication here. If our view of reality is skewed, it only follows that our knowledge is skewed - for our knowledge can only be based on this perceived reality.

Now, as our knowledge - the way we perceive reality - is skewed, we should also know that our knowledge of ourselves is skewed. A good analogy for this I've heard is 'a knife cannot cut itself' and 'fire cannot burn itself'. If you are percieving reality, then you can obviously not be perceiving yourself at the same time - just as a knife cannot cut itself and fire cannot burn itself. But if you will insist that you can perceive yourself, then I challenge you to do this and demonstrate for us. Point to yourself, show us where you are to be found. Do not point to your face, for you are not skin and you are not nose, or eye, or lips. Do not point to your chest either. But do show us how it is at all possible that you can perceive yourself.

In my own theory, I have eliminated the idea of the self as a 'controller', some 'autonomous' master, and looked to neurons to account for our manifold shortcomings in knowledge. Not only this failure to perceive oneself, but many other glaring difficultines in knowledge which are incompatible with free will (outlined in another thread) force me to look away from myself and this egocentric axiom in order to find what I seek.

Basically, my entire theory may be wrong, but free will is biologically impossible. We need look no further than our own ignorance to know this. And that's basically an ultracondensed version of what has taken me many days and nights to outline to water. This indictment of knowledge should put to your rest your concern that our experience of reality as choice based implies that reality really is choice based. I think you should also provide the definition of free will you are operating under.

- Till I'm back from purgatory.

hotsexyangelprincess said:
I believe your inquiry is a 'non-question'. For me to answer is for me to implicitly claim that I know this reality - which I do not. Options are not what they seem to be but I will get to that soon.
Determinism is nothing other than a statement about this reality: about how it is put together, how it operates, and what we may expect from it.

And you may claim not to know anything about this reality, but you sure live as if you do. As if physical objects may be picked up or left standing, as if chairs exist to sit in, as if food exists to be eaten, and as if other people interact with the same world that you do - the premise of language.

I am afraid you are making huge errors here. The absence of determinism is not free will and the absence of free will is not determinism. In fact, if I remember correctly, it has been claimed that the two are not mutually exclusive. Determinism does not imply that everything is as it should be (as least not the one I am advocating). Water was more on the money when she spoke of holistic causality as opposed to linear causality. From what I can tell, we, by nature, are inclined to see everything in terms of linear causality. We simply cannot see the "big picture"; we can only see: the glass falls >> it hits the ground >> it smashes >> it makes a sound. To draw on what Silvertusk has said, we cannot see reality outside of time - we are a part of it - and so this practice of assuming our knowledge of reality is "true" is fallacious in itself.
It may not be absolutely true, but it may be partly true. A holistic view of determinism simply cancels itself out, because it calls things 'determined' that we can't determine to be so. And I don't have a problem with that - it might certainly be so. I have a problem with saying that this unknown deterministic force invalidates our thinking and in some way. That is when people will claim "holistic determinancy" whenever they need to justify some action or belief, and claim ignorance of the "holistic determinancy" whenever they can't.

Because we are a part of reality and cannot view it as a whole, we can logicall only see a portion of it, and thus our knowledge is not holistic but rather linear. But note the implication here. If our view of reality is skewed, it only follows that our knowledge is skewed - for our knowledge can only be based on this perceived reality.
Not skewed, but linear, as you say. To be able to say it is skewed, you would have to have an outside view of it. And you support my point wonderfully, that it matters how you perceive reality. If you think it exists only of visible things, you will only trust your eyes and not your ears. If you think it only exist as far as our senses can perceive, you will only trust what you can see, hear, feel and taste. But what about inferred reality? That's what you just did in regards to the consequences of linear knowledge, and what you are doing by inferring a person has wrote these words you are reading now (since neither I nor "non-skewed" reality exist according to your immediate sensory perception).

What you are living in is a construct of reality, whether you accept it or not. Determinism describes such a construct, and it professes to describe the one we live in. And if the deterministic construct that SouthStar and water describes is examined, you'll see it is uncomfortably conscious of its own "novelty". Because only if it is "new" can it declare something else, like free will, an illusion - but at the same time it has to say it is not new, and it has been this way since the "first cause".

Now, as our knowledge - the way we perceive reality - is skewed, we should also know that our knowledge of ourselves is skewed. A good analogy for this I've heard is 'a knife cannot cut itself' and 'fire cannot burn itself'. If you are percieving reality, then you can obviously not be perceiving yourself at the same time - just as a knife cannot cut itself and fire cannot burn itself. But if you will insist that you can perceive yourself, then I challenge you to do this and demonstrate for us. Point to yourself, show us where you are to be found. Do not point to your face, for you are not skin and you are not nose, or eye, or lips. Do not point to your chest either. But do show us how it is at all possible that you can perceive yourself.
We perceive ourselves in our thoughts, in our actions, in our decisions - our relationship to and interaction with reality. You are simply referring to the limitation of our senses to describe who we are. As children, we discover our own body along with our physical surroundings, and as we grow up we realize that there is more to us than a body. And even when we say we have a body and a mind, we are missing something - so we use the word 'soul' as a sort of holistic placeholder. Because although we only understand in part, we must still somehow be able to refer to the "inbetween" that we don't understand and still have to walk.

When expressing who I am, I will not point somewhere, nor will I say something, I will simply be who I am, who I think I should be, who I wish to be, and in a relationship with me you will discover something about me that I could never express otherwise. And in a relationship with you, I might discover things about myself that couldn't have been expressed otherwise. The way you think and live says something about the way you will relate to others: character.

In my own theory, I have eliminated the idea of the self as a 'controller', some 'autonomous' master, and looked to neurons to account for our manifold shortcomings in knowledge. Not only this failure to perceive oneself, but many other glaring difficultines in knowledge which are incompatible with free will (outlined in another thread) force me to look away from myself and this egocentric axiom in order to find what I seek.
So after you realized that you can't point to something outside, you looked for something 'inside', but you're still stuck in the "I am just body" paradigm? I would venture to say your glaring difficulties with knowledge will be cleared up when you include your 'incomplete and searching self' in this quest for something to relate to.

Personally, I believe you can only find your true self within a personal yet wholly 'other' - a relationship with God. Deteminism invalidates your search, and consigns you to eternal incompatibility, a skewed and imperfect beginner to be looked down upon, to use water's terminology. Your perception is skewed in comparison to it, but it cannot validate you as you are, the way God does. The way a parent encourages a child who thinks he won't ever be an adult.
"Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13)​
Basically, my entire theory may be wrong, but free will is biologically impossible. We need look no further than our own ignorance to know this. And that's basically an ultracondensed version of what has taken me many days and nights to outline to water. This indictment of knowledge should put to your rest your concern that our experience of reality as choice based implies that reality really is choice based. I think you should also provide the definition of free will you are operating under.

- Till I'm back from purgatory.
Free will is the ability to choose between apparent options, despite the influences and prejudices governing our biological nature. If it weren't for its practical application in my life everyday, I might have been more inclined to accept your theories about it. I wrote this many years ago:
"I have a body, I have a soul - for the winter I have clothes, for the fire I have coal"​
If it weren't for the word 'soul', everything else would have fit into the "body" paradigm, and 'fire' and 'coal' wouldn't have had their metaphorical potential. But the presence of it, wherever it came from and whatever it describes - however incomplete my knowledge of it - requires me to be prepared for more than just fleshly needs. And when the real winter of my life comes, I won't be chilled inside despite my layers of clothes.

Last edited:
I think the main crux with determinism is that it is actually a masked form of fatalism -- fatalism dressed up into "scientific laws" doesn't seem to look like fatalism anymore, it becomes something acceptable, something that can be observed, and is thus, true.

And we do function by what we consider to be true.

Whether it really is true, and what mode of truthfullness it has, is another matter.

Determinism is NOT a "masked form of fatalism".

Determinism is the underlying principle / idea in both, but if anything, fatalism is an extreme view of determinism.

Fatalism is the doctrine that human actions have no influence on events.

"Either a bullet has my number on it or it does not; if it does, then there is no point in taking precautions for it will kill me anyhow; if it does not then there is no point in taking precautions for it is not going to kill me; hence either way there is no point taking precautions."

Fatalism is wrongly confused with determinism, which by itself carries no implications that human action is ineffectual, but merely states that every event has a cause.

Fatalism is a personal attitude resulting from determinism.

i) There is no free will, my actions are predetermined, and therefore I cannot change anything.

If there is no "I" to have influence on events, then fatalism is certainly a logical conlusion from determinism.

Sarkus: you're talking about causality, not determinism.

Sarkus said:
Fatalism is wrongly confused with determinism, which by itself carries no implications that human action is ineffectual, but merely states that every event has a cause.

Fatalism is a personal attitude resulting from determinism.

As it is, humans have no choice but to have some attitude towards phenomena.

One cannot have no attitude towards things. Surely, this does not affect things as they are, it may not affect objective reality.

But the way we understand things does affect our lives, our scientific theories aren't merely "intellectual discourse" that we do just for the fun of it. This would be an irrational use of time and energy -- people do strive to not be irrational when it comes to science or "serious theories". What is more, a scientific search must have some real life justification and application, and what is more, be in tune with the principle of "science is there for the purpose of the betterment of our lives".

Determinism, and with it, fatalism, certainly aren't bettering our lives.

§outh§tar said:
image001.jpg
image008.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg

ps13.jpg
041230_tsunami_main_hmed_4a.h2.jpg
T012546A.jpg

Remember folks:

1. [*]Because these children have commited despicable sin, God has no choice but to punish them so.
    [*]Because of free will, the loving God will not interfere with their suffering. In fact, He has been quoted as responding to their cries by exclaiming, "Hell no!"
    [*]In fact, because He has ordered Christians to be pious and Christ like, you can clearly see the pope adorned in rags and filth, mourning over the suffering of the children.
    [*]Suffering will force the sinful little ones to come to know Christ! Hallelujah!
    [*]Most importantly, God works in mysterious ways. Let us not question His indecision.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6:25-34).

Is there any Christian around who can give us a few reasons why these children should be thankful to God?
How long should they wait for Jesus to send manna before they realize the truth?

Ask and ye shall recieve; Give thanks to the Lord in your trials and tribulations; Glory be!

The pictures speak louder than what I can say. Now let us ask ourselves, should these children be asked to follow the advice given in the passage above? When they see the birds flying to find food while they themselves starve, shall we tell them to rejoice in the goodness of the Lord?
They suffer because the rich don't give to the poor. Because there are people more interested in power than love. We see the results of evil, and yet you deny God.

They suffer because the rich don't give to the poor.

I bet the rich are the ones who cause famines and floods too.

We see the results of evil, and yet you deny God.

I bet the Muslims and all other monotheistic groups say the same thing of you.

Please. If we look at things only from the present perspective, it surely seems like things couldn't be more unfair than they are.

But think back in time, how one person has obstructed another, allegorically, Cain and Able -- and this is how the machinery of sin got rolling. We are, in effect, living with the consequences of the sins our ancestors have done, and with our own sins.

Let's face it religion is immoral because it bases its existance on ignorance, and blind faith. Also the religions have questionable, and often contradictatory content.

§outh§tar said:
I bet the rich are the ones who cause famines and floods too.

I bet the Muslims and all other monotheistic groups say the same thing of you.

Of course! Didn't you know that every positive outcome in the universe
is due to 'God' and every negative outcome is man's fault (especially the
rich?). Aw crap, a meteor wiped out the Dinosaurs... damn you sin of man!!

Back