THANK GOD for the earthquake

Because only God can engineer such a massive demise.
(Although the Nazis, and later the US, came close to godhood in this sense.)

See, in the case of such a massive demise, even atheists think of God. (It works!)

I guess your ultimately right. :)

jan.

Let's assume this girl was genuine.
From an atheist perspective, why would she be wrong?

jan.

Assuming it was real, why would one lower their own standards of life and right and wrong to glory in the death of other people, regardless of motives for that destruction?

God or no god, people dying is a bad thing.

And since she was being satirical, even more so she should be ashamed, because now this will be used against non-believers as an example of their lacking compassion. Even though there are plenty of believers that would go along with her message.

It makes God evil.

Here's the theoretical rundown:

1. God exists.
2. We are created in God's image.
3. We are essentially of the same nature as God.
4. Therefore there can be no permanent conflict between our nature and God's.

If God is evil, then so are we; and so there is no conflict and no suffering for us resulting from this conflict.

Because the victims of this disaster were not being held hostage, nor were they holding others hostage..

I didn't use the phrase "celebrate the deaths" and I think I mentioned there was a wider picture (ultimately one which your values don't encompass) than merely believing
Whether you use the word celebrate or words like seek to understand or seek refuge in the knowledge..

To reach that point of understanding, people have died. In other words, is it good that people have to die on a grand scale to get that understanding? Should anyone celebrate the gaining of said understanding in such circumstances?

And how genuine is it?

Are they suddenly getting in touch with God because they are scared to die? Or because it seems like the right thing to do?

I'm not surprised
Do you think that suddenly makes me a bad person?

In short, theodicy, “the attempt to understand the relationship of the God to a cosmos that suffers,” remains an intractable problem as long as we do not admit that it is madness for the spirit soul to seek happiness in the material world.
A friend of mine once commented that if a parent willingly and knowingly leaves their children in a situation that endangers them or allows harm to come to their children, that parent would be charged and rightly so. It is illegal to harm one's children or to kill them.

But God, the almighty father, sits by and allows millions of his children to suffer and does nothing to prevent or alleviate their suffering or places them in situations where they will face certain death? Nothing..

Funny that, huh?

God or no god, people dying is a bad thing.

Why? Can you elaborate?

We tend to take for granted that people dying is a bad thing; but rarely is there any explanation provided why people dying is a bad thing.

1. God exists.

If God is evil, then so are we; and so there is no conflict and no suffering for us resulting from this conflict.

My query, which spider responded to, was based on the moral argument.

How do atheists determine what is wrong or right action?

jan.

Why? Can you elaborate?

We tend to take for granted that people dying is a bad thing; but rarely is there any explanation provided why people dying is a bad thing.

I guess if the assumption is that Earth is a place of suffering and grief, and heaven awaits those that belief and die, then maybe death wouldn't be seen as so bad.

Probably why the clause of suicide being a sin was inserted, to keep people from taking the easy way out.

I'm not sure how to clarify why dying, particularly dying in a horrible way like many Japanese did, is a bad thing. It's not a good thing.

I'll play, since our dear self-professed atheists refuse to open up:

Because:

1. It should be easy to get to know (the truth about) God.
Easy, as in, one conversation and one becomes fully convinced, no doubts anymore, and moreover, saved.
Unlike a parent who says "How many times do I have to tell you "

2. God should always act in such a manner that all humans are pleased.
Unlike a parent who says "Do you think the universe revolves around you?"

3. People should be free to live in whatever way they want to and God should support them in that fully.
Unlike a parent who says "Are you trying to wake the dead with that loud music?"

1. God exists.

If we are essentially of the same nature as God, then I would no more worship Him than any other person, and it's perfectly reasonable to condemn Him for his unwillingness to prevent tragedy. That's manslaughter.

less so than a god who merely kills people in the bath tub?

Getting killed in a bathtub could be said to be your own fault, but people are often unable to avoid catastrophic natural disasters. I think the quantity difference is also significant. The bathtub death could be justified, maybe that person was bad. But 10,000 people couldn't all be bad.

if you really dont see what i have a problem with its really not worth explaining.

Many people (including atheists) actually feel grateful for calamity.

For example, some cancer patients, whether they overcome the cancer or not, say the cancer was the best thing that happened to them, because it finally made them rethink the value of life and to focus on things that they find important.

Some other people who went bankrupt and lost everything and had to rebuild their life from scratch say that this was an important experience for them because through they finally learned how to manage their money wisely.

And so on.

This is not to say that calamity per se is a good thing or that it should be wished for; just that once it happens, it is not necessary to view it as something damning or bad.

So, it's OK if I go out and (hypothetically) kill a bunch of people? It's not necessarily bad.

If we are essentially of the same nature as God, then I would no more worship Him than any other person, and it's perfectly reasonable to condemn Him for his unwillingness to prevent tragedy. That's manslaughter.

Why won't you worship Me Spidy. I worship you. I feel so neglected

I'm not sure how to clarify why dying, particularly dying in a horrible way like many Japanese did, is a bad thing. It's not a good thing.

But why? Can you elaborate?

Surely if people think that something is bad (or good), there must be some reason to think so, right?

I guess if the assumption is that Earth is a place of suffering and grief, and heaven awaits those that belief and die, then maybe death wouldn't be seen as so bad.

Probably why the clause of suicide being a sin was inserted, to keep people from taking the easy way out.

Signal if we were devoid of emotion then it would not matter, but we are not, so when we lose our loved ones or even our fellow human beings we feel bad! Objectively death is a fact of existence, neither good nor bad.

Back