Teen Suspended for Going to Prom

no, i went to a state school. i was taught things i needed like sexual health, english, maths, politics, the law and ethics, SOSE, IT, science, road saftey, first aid ect. the things which make a difference in this life, not speculation on what might or might not come next

Well I had ten years of ethics classes and I was never taught anything about gays or pedophilia through religious stories.

I do think ethics is an important subject and I think dropping religion classes in school undermines training in ethics in young children.

you saying im an unethical person?

im a strong surporter of human rights and am studying health so i can help the community because i got sick of the self centered nature of the private sector. will also point out the universal health care, unemployment ect surports in australia where the majorty attend secular schools compared to india where people are left to stave on the streets

john its the study of sociaty and enviroment. ie history, sociology, eviromental science ect

People are not "left to starve" on the streets. Most of them are poor. We didn't have a colonial enterprise as a basis for our wealth. :(

I'm not saying you're an unethical person, I just find it odd that such an important social aspect would be missing from education.

of corse the poor are unimportant, really ethical.

ethics are important and certainly arent neglected, religion is and is ghere for not in the curriculam.

BTW, im sure there are lots of religion classes in israil so it MUST (by your definition) be a very ethical country right?

Not sure if there are religious courses in Israel, but since the Jews who are against Zionism tend to be the ones who actually study the Torah, I would say thats a rather silly argument.

Nevertheless, the ability of children to have concepts of right and wrong, to think critically about moral decisions and recognise the right one requires a moral framework.

We had a course that gave an introduction to each religion from class one to ten, it was a class where religious stories were used to teach ethics.

I imagine even atheists would want their children to learn about ethics.

Most such schools do teach about religion in a neutral way.

Last edited:
Fair enough, then. I guess I misunderstood..
What do you mean fair enough ?

Take a number, I feel the same way when I'm classed with the "religious nutjobs" :p

But I agree, not all atheists want to stamp out religion, the ones who do just seem to get more media coverage and hence seem to be louder and more visible. But as CutsieMarie just showed, there are atheists out there who build schools and hire religious teachers and don't impose their beliefs on other people.

Then quit smearing all atheists.. you come off as a hypocrite.

Well I had ten years of ethics classes and I was never taught anything about gays or pedophilia through religious stories.

I do think ethics is an important subject and I think dropping religion classes in school undermines training in ethics in young children.

Your ethic classes didn't do you much good anyway.. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, the ability of children to have concepts of right and wrong, to think critically about moral decisions and recognise the right one requires a moral framework.

Which is something your parents provide, religious or not. Now quit acting stupid.

I personally think that religion as a historical study should be taught in schools so that children can learn what not to do, how not to hate, how to not be ignorant... maybe learning from all the bloodshed, the caste systems, the rampant corruption, the blame and guilt game, the secretive abuse, the egotism and the self-righteousness brought about by religion has undermined and destroyed man throughout written history. How simple words in a few books caused widespread bigotry and wars... They should learn from those mistakes, yes.

How attaching oneself to a God or Gods will only bring great suffering and no reward, nothing but empty promises made by ignorant men.

Back