Students to be taught there isn't a God

Your quote is misleading. It says that Japan has no religion that opposes suicide, not that Japan has no religion. Your false assumption is that all religions oppose suicide, and they don't. Even Islam has led to suicide bombers with a religious motivation.
what atheistic arguments are there for suicide being a condemned option?

Your quote is misleading. It says that Japan has no religion that opposes suicide, not that Japan has no religion. Your false assumption is that all religions oppose suicide, and they don't. Even Islam has led to suicide bombers with a religious motivation.

Lets just say that the trend until now has been older persons committing suicide, not young individuals. Even the suicide bomber is a modern phenomenon and is present in societies where so called secular societies have been forcibly imposed.

An article published by the Canterbury Suicide Project ("Suicide Pacts", Christchurch School of Medicine, New Zealand, May 2005) makes some notable comparisons between the nature of "traditional" suicide pacts and more recent Internet-related suicide pacts (or, as described in the article, "cyber-based suicide pacts"). It points out that, traditionally, suicide pacts have been extremely rare; usually involve older individuals (50–60 years old) and very few adolescents; and tend to be between individuals with family or marriage-type relationships and differing, but complementary, psychiatric pathologies. On the other hand, the growing number of Internet-related suicide pacts are almost the exact opposite: they involve young people almost exclusively; tend to be between complete strangers or individuals with platonic friendship-type relationships; and the common characteristic between them would seem to be clinical depression.

The article also points out that the trend of Internet-related suicide pacts is changing the way that mental-health workers need to deal with depressed and/or suicidal youngsters, advising that it is "prudent for clinicians to ask routinely if young people have been accessing Internet sites, obtaining suicide information from such sites, and talking in suicide chat rooms".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_suicide

Also if I recall, the US banned the teaching of Japanese religion after WWII

When the Americans occupied Japan in 1945 the shrines were taken away from the government, and State Shinto was abolished.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Religion_in_Japan

Last edited:
I think a child brought up athiest is more likely to choose suicide as a viable option to problem resolution. The ideation has no wrongdoing attached to it.

Something like this would never happen in a religious society

You just say things that sound nice, with no regard to facts, don't you?

No atheist (e before i) makes suicide a ritual. It is a shameful, private act. The superstitious, on the other hand, make it public, do it in groups, or use the act as a weapon in a holy campaign.

Kamikaze pilots carried out their missions for the living god, their emperor. Others have pointed out that cults performed mass suicides. Muslims blow themselves up for religious favor. Monks immolate themselves out of religious devotion. If you believe the Jesus myth, then the Christian god himself came down in a suicide ploy to forgive sins.

My personal Sci-Forums experience would probably brighten with LG off my ignore list and you on it.

Also if I recall, the US banned the teaching of Japanese religion after WWII

So how would you explain the Saudi's banning Christians in the country, the right to worship?

Even the suicide bomber is a modern phenomenon and is present in societies where so called secular societies have been forcibly imposed.
Do you classify Israel as being more secular? How about in Pakistan? Bali? You do realise that the Balinese people are very very religious, don't you? Who was imposing secularism on them?

lightgigantic said:
what atheistic arguments are there for suicide being a condemned option?
That no matter how fucked up life can be at any given moment, it can and does get better and ending it all is not the answer. We don't tell depressed people that they'll go to hell for all eternity if they kill themselves. You don't want to depress a depressed person even more with that kind of rhetoric.

No atheist (e before i) makes suicide a ritual. It is a shameful, private act.

Why is it shameful? or private?

So how would you explain the Saudi's banning Christians in the country, the right to worship?

Who cares? They have their own crazy society and they appear to like it. No native Christians there. Its a kingdom.

Do you classify Israel as being more secular? How about in Pakistan? Bali? You do realise that the Balinese people are very very religious, don't you? Who was imposing secularism on them?

Did you miss the British and Dutch occupations? The divide and rule? The redrawn borders?

Last edited:
Lets just say that the trend until now has been older persons committing suicide, not young individuals.
The older ones would tend to be more religious, not less.
Even the suicide bomber is a modern phenomenon and is present in societies where so called secular societies have been forcibly imposed.
So, it's not just atheism, but also secularism that robs us of our will to live?

Who cares? They have their own crazy society and they appear to like it. No native Christians there. Its a kingdom.
Just as the Victorians have their own "crazy society" (I've lived there and yes, it is crazy..:D) and appear to like it and like the fact that children in schools should learn about all aspects of religion, even the belief of humanists who believe that there is no evidence of God?

But this "native" in SA doesn't seem to like it too much:

A Saudi citizen converted to Christianity has been arrested and jailed. Emad Alaabadi was taken into custody last November 29, at Hofuf, a town in eastern Saudi Arabia, but the news was reported only a few days ago by the International Christian Concern (ICC), a Washington-based human rights group. AsiaNews local sources have confirmed the report, and also say that he "is not the only Saudi Christian in jail at the moment: there are also others".

According to news obtained by ICC, other Christians – at least 3 or 4 – appear to have been arrested along with Emad. The presence of Christians in Saudi prisons had also been confirmed by Brian O'Connor, in an interview with AsiaNews. Brian Savio O'Connor is a Protestant Indian who was deported from Saudi Arabia after being tortured and held in prison for "having preached Christianity". Upon his return to India, O'Connor told AsiaNews that "there are still many other Christians that need your help in Saudi prisons".

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=2134
Fun times!

Did you miss the British and Dutch occupations? The divide and rule? The redrawn borders?

But they kept their religion. In fact, in Bali, religious temples are just about on every single street corner and yard, with offerings placed there daily by the Balinese people.

Just as the Victorians have their own "crazy society" (I've lived there and yes, it is crazy..:D) and appear to like it and like the fact that children in schools should learn about all aspects of religion, even the belief of humanists who believe that there is no evidence of God?

As long as he doesn't start a suicide club, I have no objections.
But this "native" in SA doesn't seem to like it too much:

Sounds implausible. Where would he convert? How? You have to know the Saudi mentality. Its highly unlikely for a Saudi to convert, almost like a redneck converting to an African religion. Saudis are severely against idolatory.

But they kept their religion. In fact, in Bali, religious temples are just about on every single street corner and yard, with offerings placed there daily by the Balinese people.
So did we, but the partition never went away.

Last edited:
I`m happy schools are teaching that morality is a human phenonoma and is not tied to Xianity or other superstitions. Athiest CHinese were very moral people. Morality is cultural.

"...there is no evidence God exists." That happens to be a scientific fact. And a mathematical fact. A logical fact, and just about every other kind of fact. They aren't teaching them God doesn't exist. As many theists point out to me, religion and God is about faith, to test the nonbelievers. So there can never be any evidence for God, for that would be evidence God did not exist. All they are teaching them are facts, and letting the student decide for themselves, from what I've gathered from the article.

Absence of evidence cannot be a fact, its not even considered a scientific truth. We never say, this hypothesis is true, we say, its not false. Thats a huge difference. They'll just screw these kids up.

They could teach kids that very information. It could be true Xenu is real, but there`s no "good" "scientific" evidence to suggest that`s the case. Nevertheless, Xenu may be real. See, very easy. Teach children that Mohammad may be a composit charcter, and actually, the evidence suggests its so. Teach children that thinking rationally about the Qur`an means explaining it`s inseption through rational means - aka, it was a product of men over years. Teaching children to reason and think is what`s important.

How is it an imposition if the classes are voluntary?

As far as I am concerned, you could religiously believe that the sun shone out of your arse and worshiped said arse on a daily basis. It really would be none of my business. Why? Because religion and belief to me is a personal thing in one's life.

Of course.

And frankly, if kids in schools are being given the choice to learn about religion and atheism and they want to study one or both or none, it really is their choice and up to their parents.

Why should they not be taught about religions and different beliefs? Pupils are taught about other faiths and their traditions just like they are taught about the traditions of the ancient Egyptians, the Greeks etc. The religions of others is relevant to the World we live in now, how can you not want to learn about religion? (nothing to do with embracing any religion) Doesn't make sense.

You were right. It really is no big deal. Which begs the question why you had gone on a whole spiel about the loss of community and family in society because a school is daring to give its students the option to learn about humanism and/or atheism. So much so that a whole thread was started about it. I guess it is less of a big deal to atheists that students can learn about religion and atheism if they so choose than it is to you, eh Ghost?

Who is kicking up the most fuss?

Regarding that post, it was obviously off-topic (like a lot of posts in this thread) and not connected to the opening post.

M*W: What do you consider a "fanatical atheist?" The reason I ask is not only for your opinion but to qualify the general consensus on why theists believe atheists are fanatical?

My point is that atheists don't have a church to go to, and we don't have dogma except for the one common disbelief in deities and the supernatural.

There is no way I could say to you or to anyone else, "come, follow me and you will be saved." For an atheist, that is ridiculous.

A fanatic is someone that is aggressive, someone that is insensitive and considers him/herself to be superior than the oblivious heathens. I have seen these attributes in some religion mateys, I’ve seen them in professors, scientists, atheists etc. The funniest thing to see is atheist fanatics attacking the normal, goody two-shoe, cuddly type of theist because of a perceived fanaticism regarding some pointless issue, these atheists exhibit the same qualities as the very people they consider to be their greatest enemy.

Atheists are not lawmakers, so we do not force anyone to do anything against their will. However, we have a voice, just as you do, to inform our legislators what we believe to be the truth and how those truths would be good for society. Should they enact laws that are in favor of the atheistic viewpoint, it is because your beliefs are not keeping up with the times nor with human needs.

Sounds a lot like ‘religion’ to me. :)

I had a strange experience recently at a bookstore. Something I actually never do is read about atheism. I read mostly about christianity. So I decided to broaden my view on atheism, and I selected several books from the philosophy section on atheism to read. A young black woman came and sat down next to me. I noticed after a while that she was staring and scowling at me. She sat there for a while doing this. I got to thinking that this was some kind of unspoken message she was communicating to me, so I observed without any response on my part. I just kept reading and watching inconspicuously. She was reading romance novels BTW. I noticed that she was getting steamed, but not in a romantic way. I looked up and broadly smiled at her. It freaked her out so much that she threw three romance novels at me and knocked over my coffee. Then she literally bolted from her chair and walked as fast as she could to get out of the store! Now, tell me, how did I in any way force my belief on this woman?

I hope you enjoyed that book and no coffee was spilt on your clothes, God knows what caused the woman to react like that. Maybe you had a violent altercation with her a while back but just didn’t recognise her. There could be a million and one possiblities, its nuts! Do you tap desks or have any habits like that? Maybe you were sipping your coffee loudly? Its also possible that what happened had absolutely nothing to do with your book, maybe you’re reading too much into this whole thing.

Because we believe in God we are automatically deaf, dumb and blind?!?! Seriously mate, get off your high horse. You shoot yourself in the foot when you put all those that believe in a deity into one large box and dismiss them outright.

No, believing in God makes you gullible and needy. It also makes you a threat to free thought, and freedom in general.

Back