Street Harrassment.!!!

What is the main reason you thank Men behave like they did in the OP video.???

• Nature

• Nurture

• Other (please discuss)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sculptor said:

Without a fixed anchor how can a law be derived from a moving target?

Take the United States as an example. The moral "container" stays the same; a red plastic Solo® cup is a red plastic Solo® cup, but are you sure what's in my cup right now is an India Pale Ale just because that's what I was drinking when you arrived at the party?

Consider that there are many people who consider the United States a "Christian" nation, and would attempt to legislate from the moral outlook thereof.

And then consider that part of our American Christianity involves an idea called "prosperity gospel". This theology directly contradicts Christ in order to assert that the rich man is blessed by God. What's in their cup? Water? Wine? Poison?

As the Gay Fray escalated post-Lawrence, some Christians tried arguing that God does not forgive "lifestyle sins", since one cannot repent of a sin continuously committed. Many of these Christians also belonged to faith communities that were happy to give God's blessing to adultrous heterosexual marriages, in direct contradiction of Christ's words. One wonders what's in their cup.

Conservatives occasionally try their own brand of feminism. That is, someone scrawls "Feminism" on the cup with a Sharpie®, but what is the cocktail inside? No sex education, no oral contraception, no IUDs, no abortion, and even support for the conservative men's talk about "real" or "legitimate" rape, and oh, by the way, equal pay for equal work is unfair to women.

When the United States declared their independence from England, they invoked God to declare that all men were created equal. And when we won that independence through warfare, we turned around and adopted first Articles of Confederation that preserved slavery, and then a Constitution that not only preserved slavery, but declared that some individuals were only three-fifths of a person. And when we fought a war with ourselves about that, slavery was over. So we adopted a Constitutional amendment that required the states to provide equal protection under the law to all persons within their jurisdictions. And then it turned out that women were not considered people under that amendment; that's the reason we eventually required a Nineteenth Amendment, fifty-five years later.

At the time of the Declaration, slavery was morally acceptable and even laudable. The only reason slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person was to compromise between taxation and apportionment. The slave states wanted those people counted for purposes of congressional apportionment, but not for purposes of taxation, so what the founders came up with is this bizarre Three-Fifths Compromise.

Would you argue that the supporters of dehumanization and slavery actually believed they were being immoral?

By the time of the Civil War, our attitudes had changed. And the anti-slavery assertion of morality won, hence Amendments XIII-XV.

Do we really think the federal and state interests that argued against women having the vote under equal protection obligations of the states were saying, "We know it's immoral, but this is what we're going to do because we must"?

It's not that I don't get your point, but its functional challenge is the difference between my moral perceptions and theirs. Or yours and theirs. Or yours and mine. But in the question of law as an expression of morals, what you or I think doesn't define their reasons for doing what they did. That you or I might find slavery and the Three-Fifths Compromise immoral does not mean that the founders drafted and adopted the Constitution in order to assert as law something they found immoral. The Three-Fifths Compromise expresses a political outcome within the moral framework. What didn't prevail at that time was an idea more familiar to you and me, and that's that black people aren't fractional people, but actual people.

In South Carolina, prosecutors are, in the twenty-first century, arguing against a woman's right to defend herself against domestic violence. As grotesque as you or I might find that, it sounds about par for the Palmetto course. This is what counts as "morality" in South Carolina, a state where misogyny is virtually as common as air. They're not being misogynists to celebrate their own immorality. To wit, they crafted a fetal protection law, and it was indeed an attempt to legislate morality. At the time, supporters argued they were protecting pregnant women from domestic and other violence. Opponents argued that the laws were intended to constrict women. These years later, only one man was ever charged under the statute; his conviction was eventually overturned. They have, however, prosecuted hundreds of women under the law, with many convictions that have not been overturned. We see in this outcome the true expression of South Carolina morals motivating such laws. But it was also a different time; Christian extremists, being Christian, were granted a certain superiority in the public discourse. (Hint: There's a reason why conservatives often assert that one violates their free speech by disagreeing with them.)

These are expressions of cultural morals. Or, perhaps, we might wonder why, post-Lawrence, Texas fought so hard to enforce prohibition of dildos. The Travis County attorney who aruged the case in the beginning was just elected governor, by the way. Let me guess, he was enforcing what he recognized as immorality? Of course he wasn't. The State of Texas took the lead, and went on to argue that it had a legitimate moral reasons for the laws, because it needed to discourage sexual gratification that was not intended to procreate.

In the state of Ohio, recently, small-government Republicans wrote a bunch of TRAP laws ... and passed them in the state budget. And here's a nifty legal catch: One section required abortion providers to have transfer agreements with local hospitals, something akin to admitting privileges; another section prohibited the hospitals from entering those agreements. Would you assert Gov. Kasich signed this into law in order to assert the state's immorality? Anti-abortion laws are a moral expression.

"I would argue that law is based on custom and tradition and not on morality." (#311)​

Those customs and traditions are intrinsically linked to morality.

Justice itself is a moral assertion.

I just don't see how you are separating morality from the customs and traditions from which the laws are derived.

I do not think such a universal definition exists now, nor ever has, nor ever will.
(the closest I've seen is : "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you")
More fundamental: do not do as you would not be done by.

But a universal basis of human morality is probably determinable now or soon, within reason, by scientific investigation. One beginning proposal that seems by modern investigation to be basic : Do not betray.

As far as the legal system of a modern industrial State, that would be derived via ethics and reason. One criterion might be that it be in agreement with - not based upon - human morality.

Liebling said:
It's not always jealousy or mommy issues. Some women are complete bitches, just like some men are complete assholes. If your sample set of experiences are all bitchy women, then you might just hate all women. Gay men usually just date other men, so if all the women in their family/friendships as they grew up happened to be cunts, then voila. I'm fairly sure misogyny is an active hatred, not a passive one. And there's the whole fear of the swamp thing

Tru'nuff. I tend to think the fear of Swamp Thing has a deeper psychopathology, though. And while I can't necessarily describe the psychopathology of response to that concentration of ill-adjusted humanity around one individual, neither can I rule out that such circumstances occur; then again, there does come a point wherein the individual gay man is ignoring a tremendous data set containing non-asshole women in order to maintain that belief, and there is a psychopathology to identify there, too.

Neuter the Freudian triune mind with something like the MacLeanian triune brain, add a stiff dose of Klein and Fairbairn, and it's fairly easy to sketch larger overviews of what is going on in a culture. It requires considerably more, of course, to refine those sketches into coherent, accurate pictures of a society, but it's true I attend Brown's adaptation and revival of Freudianism in the context of the psychoanalytic meaninig of history.

You are correct that I overlooked certain segments in fromulating my statement, but I suppose I might plead an attempt to not use too many words, or something. At the same time, though, the psychopathological components by which the misogynistic results you describe work are not as easily identified or defined as Swamp Envy or post-Oedipal resentment. That in itself is a fascinating muff dive.

Er ... um ... ah ... I mean ... oh.

Right.

I see a lot of laws that I consider immoral.
Many laws seem to have the primary purpose of revenue enhancement, which weighs more heavily on the poor.
also
property seizure without a trial
student debt exemptions from bankruptcy

such biased laws seem ever the case

Sculptor said:
Many laws seem to have the primary purpose of revenue enhancement, which weighs more heavily on the poor.
also

Right. But the argument that won the day in passing those laws derived from ideas of morality.

It is immoral to drag down the rich because they provide the jobs; therefore regressive tax systems that overburden the poor are considered moral by the people who pass them.

Civil forfeiture was not a developed with the specific intent of being immoral. Rather, it is a tool to fight for morality in the form of a "drug-free" society.

The moral argument behind the student debt exemptions from bankruptcy are similar to the tax arguments; it is immoral to hurt the "job creators".

That you or I might find those moral arguments silly, backwards, dangerous, dishonest, or whatnot, does not have much to do with what the people who crafted these conditions were thinking as they did so.

... but I suppose I might plead an attempt to not use too many words, or something. ...

I very nearly spit beer out of my nostril at that... :) I still appreciate your wordiness as always. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just offering that there can be many many pathologies for hatred including also ignorance and immaturity.

Motor Daddy:

Correct, which means the behavior in the video won't get to the Judge, right? So it's not wrong, because if it was it would get to a Judge.

You're still stuck at the same point you were stuck before I explained to you how morality is not the same as law. If you're not going to read what I write when I take time to explain something to you, or try at all to process new information, I'll put you down as a troll. I have no interest in any further discussion with you on this topic. Go away. You're wasting my time.

Liebling said:
I very nearly spit beer out of my nostril at that...

Well, best if you don't. Especially if you're the sort that drinks the slightly more expensive (cough!bettercough!) beer. Actually, I'm in heaven these days, as a couple of local breweries have finally mastered the India Session Ale. Strong IBU (60s), low ABV (<5%).

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just offering that there can be many many pathologies for hatred including also ignorance and immaturity.

I admit I do sometimes fret at those notes; it is unfortunate that our environment brings that; face to face over a beer, you wouldn't have to say that, as the tone of my voice and the dashing sparkle in sparkle in my eye ... er ... um ... right. Actually, it would have been the goofy grin and chortle that would make you wonder if I started the session early.

And zingers, like the one I threw at someone else and you responded to, always demand a problematic economy of words; the form nearly guarantees that, compared to the actual point, we will omit something important.

I would argue that law is based on custom and tradition and not on morality.
And I would argue that you're wrong.
I would argue that every law that has ever been passed is, at best a reflection of what the majority of the population consider moral and just, and at worst a reflection of what those wielding the power consider to be the same. Even the idea of justice has its roots in morality.

What was it Martin Luther King Jr said? "One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

You can not legislate morality.
On the one hand, this could be regarded as a straw-man. I didn't say that you could legislate morality, only that laws have their roots in it.

On the other hand, as Tiassa already pointed out - people keep trying.

Just because a person or society does not consider themselves immoral, doesn't actually mean that they are not immoral.
Consider, if you will, slavery, the draft(civil war and viet-nam), the eugenics laws, ethnic cleansing, concentration and death camps, etc...
Laws and morality may occasionally be coincidental, but that does not equate to causality.
All of this is predicated on the assumption that there is a universal set of morality, a universal set of right and wrong. It is, however, irrelevant to the point that I was making which is predicated on the assumption that morality is relative.

What's morally correct for a fundamentalist muslim is not neccessary what's morally correct for an atheist or a fundamentalist jew.

also

such biased laws seem ever the case
Based on your sense of morality. That says nothing about the sense of morality of those passing the laws.

Just as I'm not saying you can legislate morality, I'm also not saying all laws are what I would call moral, however, they do reflect the collective sense of morality of the group of people making the laws and/or the majority of the population.

Motor Daddy:

You're still stuck at the same point you were stuck before I explained to you how morality is not the same as law. If you're not going to read what I write when I take time to explain something to you, or try at all to process new information, I'll put you down as a troll. I have no interest in any further discussion with you on this topic. Go away. You're wasting my time.

I am not a troll, I am on the side of the law. You are on the lawless side of this debate. You've taken that position from the start by calling the behavior in the video "harassment" when in fact it's not illegal.

You seem to have a vague idea of what morals are, but you don't know the difference between the law and morals, so don't pretend that you do.
Morals are not written laws. No law, no crime, no punishment.

See? That's how it works.

It doesn't work by observing activity that you don't like, and then claiming that person is a hater or harasser. That could get you in some hot water. It's not in keeping with the law that you claim people have broken a law and have been convicted of harassment, when in fact there is no law and they haven't been convicted.

But I do think there's a law covering your actions (words). But I'm not a lawyer. I have morals, but the Judge doesn't care.

You seem to value your morals more than the law?? No need to answer, I'll not respond to you anymore, I can see you're troubled (confused) again. I still like you, but you're wrong!

motor daddy said:
You've taken that position from the start by calling the behavior nn the video "harassment" when in fact it's not illegal.
Being legal, if it is, makes things worse - the harassed woman has that much less recourse, is that much more vulnerable.

That kind of harassment, like bullying in general, always targets the vulnerable. As soon as somebody's commanding officer arranges some hitback, it stops - right? You guys know what you are doing.

Being legal, if it is, makes things worse - the harassed woman has that much less recourse, is that much more vulnerable.

That kind of harassment, like bullying in general, always targets the vulnerable. As soon as somebody's commanding officer arranges some hitback, it stops - right? You guys know what you are doing.

I am gonna say this one last time for you, because you seem to be a slow learner. Harassment is a crime. Crimes are backed by laws, not your mind. See?

So am I. I'd much rather do the right thing than the legal thing (and they are NOT always the same thing.) I guess it was how I was raised.

Then you can sit in jail knowing you did the right thing in your mind. I have no problem with that. I'd like to see you sit there for a good long time!!

Then you can sit in jail knowing you did the right thing in your mind. I have no problem with that. I'd like to see you sit there for a good long time!!
Again, just how I was raised. If you'd prefer to take the morally repugnant (but legal) option - then that's your right. You're the only person who has to live with your decisions (hopefully.)
Harassment is a crime.
No, it's not. You harass people here all the time, and you're not in jail.

Again, just how I was raised. If you'd prefer to take the morally repugnant (but legal) option - then that's your right. You're the only person who has to live with your decisions (hopefully.)

No, it's not. You harass people here all the time, and you're not in jail.

Again, I'd like to see you sit in jail for 50 years knowing you're morally right.

Motor Daddy said:
I am gonna say this one last time for you, because you seem to be a slow learner. Harassment is a crime. Crimes are backed by laws, not your mind. See?

To reiterate↑:

Technically, the letter of the law does prohibit such harassment, except the loophole is to say it isn't harassment.​

Your response↑ skipped over that point.

Since then, you have been reiterating that there is no law, therefore no crime.

Your trolling, belligerent posts have the glaring flaw of being cowardly for refusing to acknowledge the obvious point.

Consider it this way: Rape is against the law. The loophole is to argue that "she was asking for it", say, according to what she was wearing. You know, like a bikini or short skirt in Florida during the summer. And I use Florida as an example because yes, it is possible to convince a jury to acquit on those grounds. Or there is also Colorado, where refusing to prosecute a confessed rape on the grounds that the victim deserved it earns one a ticket to Congress.

And it works both ways. To wit, in South Carolina, one has the right to defend themselves in their home under what is known as Castle Doctrine. The way to make self-defense in the home illegal is to argue in court that the law was never intended to apply to women defending themselves against domestic abuse.

Remember? Word games?

You need to actually address this, or else you really are just trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back