(split) Cryogenically freezing Michael Jackson

Wow. So let's recap:

[a] MJ is coming back, prosthetic nose and all.
People coming back via fish come.
[c]Jesus wins the election.
[d]Washington is gone. (yay).
[e]God destroys us because of veiny and glassy dildos.

Wow, how eventful this future will be!

you missed the part about the dinosaurs commandos with flame throwers will try to take over the earth, seeing a guy riding a utahraptor while incinerating everything in sight will be fucking awesome, though very deadly.

You know, now that I think about it, I could live in a nation with a crazy king as head of state. As long as no one takes him too seriously, what's the harm?

What would qualify a person to be frozen in your opinion?

If they wish it, and can pay, its theirs.

And to answer that more fully: no one. People live and die. It's natural.
Who are we to mess with that? [Assuming people will be able to make miraculous comebacks from the dead in the future (which I'm quite skeptical about)].

as of yet there is no committee that gives free cryogenic preservation to anyone. So yes that how this works.

Who are we to mess with that? [Assuming people will be able to make miraculous comebacks from the dead in the future (which I'm quite skeptical about)].

Murder, rape and cannibalism are also natural. What is natural is not always the best of ways. Here is the deal, those that spend 150K to have their heads frozen are more likely to come back to life someday then someone the has spent 10k on their cremation. So it is a simple matter of deciding if you think the chances are worth the price difference and having he money for fork over.

Here is the deal, those that spend 150K to have their heads frozen are more likely to come back to life someday then someone the has spent 10k on their cremation.
More likely is one thing, but the question should be "how likely?"
Given the rising world population and dwindling resources why the hell should some rich old (dead) fart be revived at some point in the future?
What will they know about the world then?
What skills will they have enabling them to find work?
How will they fit into society?
Who will train them? Adjust their attitudes/ prejudices?
Pfft, their descendants will probably get the corpsicle declared legally dead and go on a shopping spree with the proceeds from all that compound interest. ;)

ashpwner,
I don't belive that he deserves to be frozen. Not saying anything bad against the guy i just belive more worthy people are out there.

earth,
Maybe Michael Jackson does deserve it because of his charity donations.

Charity King: Michael Jackson holds guiness world record

takethewarhome,
Charity doesn't constitute worthiness or genuineness and uprightness of character.

earth,
What would qualify a person to be frozen in your opinion?

takethewarhome,

takethewarhome,
It seems we aren't on the same page. You didn't answer my question as if we were. Until your last post the discussion was about whether or not Michael Jackson deserved to be frozen. And if not then what is the qualifier establishing deserving to be frozen? Does one need to be the pope? This particular discussion isn't about whether or not it works.

Last edited:
More likely is one thing, but the question should be "how likely?"
Given the rising world population and dwindling resources why the hell should some rich old (dead) fart be revived at some point in the future?

Look up "technological singularity" and "transhumanism". It likely that human population will fall just as rapidly as it rose, assuming nuclear fusion or a dramatic reduction in the price of energy (something that is in fact possible) resources will become plentiful enough to sustain a very large population in first world living, of which they will breed at or below sustaining levels (today japan has negative population growth, Europe also has population shortfalls, so this is simply a matter of projecting that first world trend on the rest of the world) combine that with technology which could allow for infinite lifespans and there will likely be a major shift in priorities away from child rearing and towards immortality and sustainability of that goal. When they can fit a thousand people on a supercomputer the size of a refrigerator in a perpetual heaven, population growth and scarcity of resources will be the last of their problems. Combined with an infinity of spare time bringing back the dead would make for a fun hobbie, questions like what will they know, and what will they do, how will they fit in, are irrelevant in a world run by robotic labor and transhumans, with many "people" uploading them selves into fantasy world for centuries on end.

I can see it now:
Walt: where am I
NM: you been brought back to live, well sort of, we just took your forzen head, destructiviely scanned it with a high powered electron microscope and emulated its functions inside me, your host ultra computer.
Walt: aaaah ok
NM: I'll allot you some server space but you'll have to get an account on one of those asteroid servers and bandwidth is limited, though the everquest block just assemble to new servers, you like RPGs?
Walt: aah what?
NM: oh it like one of those movies you made like Cinderella or Snow white, but you get to live in it.
Walt: oh, how much does this cost?
NM: cost? There is no money anymore, all that is cost is time, there plenty of that, with enough cpu cycles anything can be done at least virtually. if you want to do something IRL well there may be a cost then, like those eccentrics that are still trying to terraform mars, completely unnecessary, but then again everything is.
Walt: could I make cartoons again?
NM: sure you can, and you can make an audience to watch them, it takes just microsecond to upload the skills and to upload the audience generator.
Walt: well I mean with real people?
NM: well ummmh, we could grow you a body and maybe you can do some shows with those fundamentalist people, the Amish, the saudis, etc, but I don't think they will react well.
Walt: well are there any people here?
NM: sure billions, but they mainly just play with them selves in their own worlds, but if you advertise on the right search engines I'm sure you will find enough willing to watch old Disney style movies.

takethewarhome,
It seems we aren't on the same page. You didn't answer my question as if we were. Until your last post the discussion was about whether or not Michael Jackson deserved to be frozen. And if not then what is the qualifier establishing deserving to be frozen?

Hahahha. I hate Michael Jackson for dying.
It really brought out all the crazies.

Who gives a damn, honestly?
There's so much more productive and relevant things to be doing and thinking of.
*Unsubscribe*

Look up "technological singularity" and "transhumanism".
Oh yeah.
Science fiction dreams and semi-rabid junkie kooks. ;)
Old news, old ideas.
Might as well go for Tipler's Omega Point.
No need to freeze any one: we'll all come back anyway.

Hahahha. I hate Michael Jackson for dying.
It really brought out all the crazies.

Who gives a damn, honestly?
There's so much more productive and relevant things to be doing and thinking of.
*Unsubscribe*

That's what I thought, you had nothing to offer and your opinion is worthless. Why waste your time on this thread? Find something more productive and relevant to do. Crazy I'm not but you're looking like a weasel.

Oh yeah.
Science fiction dreams and semi-rabid junkie kooks. ;)
Old news, old ideas.
Might as well go for Tipler's Omega Point.
No need to freeze any one: we'll all come back anyway.

Science fiction and scientific speculation are two very different things. As for everyone coming back, as of yet there is no realistic away to do that. Bringing back a cryogenically preserved body is at least with our present understand of science is probable, bringing back someone from ashes is not, it would require time travel, it would be untold orders of magnitude harder then scanning a frozen brain.

Science fiction and scientific speculation are two very different things.
Certainly.
The singularity was named and popularised by a science-fiction author.

As for everyone coming back, as of yet there is no realistic away to do that.
Omega Point happens to be a scientific speculation...
Frank Tipler.

Bringing back a cryogenically preserved body is at least with our present understand of science is probable, bringing back someone from ashes is not, it would require time travel, it would be untold orders of magnitude harder then scanning a frozen brain.
Tch, and you tell me to look things up. :p
Omega Point.

Certainly.
The singularity was named and popularised by a science-fiction author.

Astronomy was popularized by Christians in the 1600's, that does not make it religion.

Omega Point happens to be a scientific speculation...
Frank Tipler.

You seem to think I said it was impossible, incorrect, only less probable then successful cryogenic resurrection. The singularity and transhumanism though futures I find desirable I hold no bias in admitting they are only probable futures not definite, once you start calling hypothesis definite you have gone from science to theology, which unfortunately it what Tipler has done.

Astronomy was popularized by Christians in the 1600's, that does not make it religion.
Oops.
You're mistaking my point altogether.

You seem to think I said it was impossible, incorrect, only less probable then successful cryogenic resurrection.
Nope< i was pointing out which was the scientific speculation and which the science fiction.
According to Tipler the Omega Point ressurections are inevitable: defrosting corpsicles will not be.

The singularity and transhumanism though futures I find desirable I hold no bias in admitting they are only probable futures not definite, once you start calling hypothesis definite you have gone from science to theology, which unfortunately it what Tipler has done.
That's a different topic altogether: although Tipler does seem to have "lost it".

Oops.
You're mistaking my point altogether.

Then explain your point again.

Nope< i was pointing out which was the scientific speculation and which the science fiction.
According to Tipler the Omega Point ressurections are inevitable: defrosting corpsicles will not be.

Well that a false dilemma, the first in scientific speculation the second is theology, "inevitable" in a hypothesis like that is religion, not science.

That's a different topic altogether: although Tipler does seem to have "lost it".

no it quite relevant, it can't call it scientific speculation.

Back