Some facts about guns in the US

Sculptor, lemme guess: .243 Winchester?

My current favorite deer rifle is a winchester model 70, chambered for a 300 win mag, I prefer a 150 or 180 grain bullet.

I've thought it a tad "overkill" and thought to get a lighter weapon with less recoil. But, the thing is, when I hit 'em they fall.
So my money is used for building projects.
Ear protection is advised.

Oh, yeah. No need for .338 Lapua with deer... :D

But for someone living in Houston's South Side, maybe a nice .45 ACP or a high capacity 9mm is more practical? Location, location...

yestereve, I had one bat flying around in the studio, this eve, I've 2---they seem to be following each other---breeding season?
The door is open.

I suspect that the .338 would be even more "overkill".

My neighbor had a pigeon adopt him today. How strange...

I just watched the YouTube clip of the poor girl losing control of the Uzi. God almighty, her family should sue the shooting range and the estate of the dumbshit "instructor" for her therapy.

I just hope he didn't have children. Take that both ways.

yestereve, I had one bat flying around in the studio, this eve, I've 2---they seem to be following each other---breeding season?
The door is open.

I suspect that the .338 would be even more "overkill".
the soundwave from the gunblast would probably disable the bats. They navigate by sonar.

Not a Sesame Street Song

A note at the outset: I admit, it really does amuse me when these discussions break down into gun owners talking about their armories.

At any rate ... movin' right along.

• • •​

Iceaura said:

Does that qualify as gun culture?

Probably, but I do admit that in the political back and forth it sometimes seems as if none of the firearms lobbyists are listening. In truth, the gun culture you describe is much more in accord with what people like me would expect simply as a courtesy to law and, well, other people.

But the gun culture I'm referring to is the one that is so prominent in the political discussion; were it not for that prominence it wouldn't even be a subject. But it's the sort of culture we hear about in songs like Pearl Jam's "Glorified G"[sup]†[/sup] or Floater's "Thin Skin"[sup]‡[/sup], the NRA attitude that our society will truly be free only when we've all bought guns from the lobby's industrial customers and conduct ourselves civilly because we never know who's going to shoot us for looking at them wrong.

And I know it bugs you that people fixate on this part of the gun culture, but for the rest of us it is the most prominent voice in the debate. It's like that recent story about full-blown concealed-carry in a town, and all it took was a couple hours before one responsible gun owner violated the law demanding that another responsible gun owner prove that he was a responsible gun owner. Dude even drew his gun. And the thing is that anyone could have seen that coming, except it's just absolutely unacceptable to make that point. Emphasizing their rejection of the sort of "responsibility" that actually requires one to be responsible, the gun culture dominating Second Amendment advocacy is terrifying—it's anything but responsible gun ownership.

Consider the story of the guy who accidentally shot his seven year-old kid to death with an illegally-possessed handgun that he didn't bother to check for a live round. I don't get why those who would argue against prosecution would say, "He's suffered enough". After all, a drunk driver doesn't get that credit, and the device with which he injured or killed someone wasn't even designed specifically for the purpose of killing.

It's also why the famous Spider Man line is bullshit: With extraordinary power comes extraordinary responsibility. It sounds nice as a philosophy, but nobody really seems to believe it, do they? We can say that the gun culture I'm responding to flatly rejects this philosophy for themselves, but seems to consider things like pencils or chicken eggs some sort of extraordinary power.

And for gun owners and advocates like yourself, I can see how our focus on this cohort is frustrating. But, to the one, they have extraordinary influence over the public policy discussion, and, to the other, it doesn't surprise me when, given a choice, a gun owner like yourself chooses to side with these grotesquely irresponsible gun owners.

Therein we find another hit that my side of the argument responds to. Okay, we get it, you're a "responsible gun owner", but you're also ferociously advocating for these horribly irresponsible, dangerous, menace-to-society gun owners and advocates.

It is almost as if every aspect of law and justice must necessarily bend in order to exempt the poor, defenseless gun owners who never did anything wrong except accidentally kill some people and then complain that they owe no accountability to society for their acts.

So it's true; I don't understand why you, for instance, advocate for such extreme irresponsibility. But the "gun culture" you describe sounds a lot more like the myth of responsible gun ownership I learned about when I was a child and have never managed to witness.

Here's a simple example of the frustration: The bullet that I found in my garden does not appear to have come from any sort of crime or police pursuit and shootout. That is to say that the lack of gunfire in my neighborhood on the probable night of its arrival, and the lack of any later reports of violent crime or police activity that might possibly have landed a nine millimeter round in my garden after it ricocheted off some part of the row house strucutre, suggest that this was not a bullet fired in any specifically criminal act. Indeed, I would be willing to bet that if I could find the gun owner this round belongs to, we would find someone who describes himself as a "responsible gun owner".

Perhaps to you and me, he isn't. Well, I can tell you for certain that in my opinion this is not a "responsible gun owner"; unfortunately, from our prior discussions on the subject, I cannot discern whether or not you find losing track of shots fired and shooting other people's homes irresponsible or not.

And that's kind of sad, actually, because while I suspect you would say it's irresponsible gun ownership, I am also aware that in your outlook such acts should not bear any penalties, and not even if that round strikes a person.

Across the spectrum, what it seems to come down to is that firearms advocates really like the political value of the idea of "responsible gun ownership", but simply haven't the stones or integrity to live up to it. And the functional problem seems to be the prospect that if one kills the wrong person with their gun, they might not be allowed to own a gun again.

And when that's the point on the line, well, yeah, that's problematic to say the least.

That's a sad division 'twixt you and I. The few liberals who are also gun owners that I know don't follow your path. Hell, the one who owned an assault rifle agrees that the things should be illegal, and only had one because he could. One of my friends got rid of his gun after he realized that he didn't really need it, since his martial arts training made him a walking lethal weapon, and anyone who wanted to kill him could do so with a rifle from longer range, and the nine millimeter handgun would do him absolutely no good. The other scaled down to one handgun and a shotgun when he got engaged. And no firearm would have helped prevent the burglary, since nobody was home to shoot the bad guys.

He's also the second person to point a handgun at my head and then make the excuse, "It's not loaded." On this particular occasion, he was correct. But I still remember the National Guardsman who pointed his bran' spankin' new nine at me twenty years ago, laughed when I hit the deck and rolled out of the room, chided me that it wasn't loaded, pulled the slide to prove the point, and then we all watched the live round spinning through the air as it tumbled to the floor.

Every "responsible gun owner" I've ever known revels in stories describing grotesquely irresponsible gun ownership. And as I noted to TCS above, these stories are funny to them unless they are related by someone like me, in which case they suddenly pretend that this is a rare and grotesque violation. Like the story about beating the deer to death with the butt of a .44 magnum because the hunter was too drunk to have remembered to properly load his gun, and ended up with nothing for his rifle and two rounds left over in the revolver. It's absolutely hilarious when a "responsible gun owner" tells us that story, but if I pass it on to another "responsible gun owner"? Sad thing was that one of the guys at the table that night, expressing their horror, was present at the earlier telling, and when it was related by a fellow gun owner (specifically, one not involved in this incident, but with personal knowledge according to the actual participants) it was hilarious. But knowing someone who didn't carry a gun was in their midst?

There is a long list. Getting drunk and shooting off a ton of rounds in an orchard? No backstop? Hey, the trees will stop the bullets. Fuckin' hilarious when one "responsible gun owner" is telling another. And the only reason I got to hear that story was that I was sexually involved with the "responsible gun owner" telling it. And I got to watch the other "responsible gun owners" in the room laugh and wax romantic about their own similar adventures. Startin' up a posse to chase down a freaking accountant wanted by authorities for embezzlement? Gather up at the tavern, get drunk, wander around in the streets with your rifle slung over your back, your sidearm strapped on. Ginny got the call from the waitress and looked at her daughter and I: "Go pick up your father, please. They're all just wandering around drunk in the street." The bullet holes in the ceiling where the guy botched his own reloading? Putting a kitten in a tabletop vise, retrieving the nine, and blowing pieces out of it in revenge for pissing on the garage floor and getting some on your toolbox? These are all braggart, romanticized tales I've heard from so-called "responsible gun owners".

And these are people who seem to think they can get away with this and just threaten anyone who wants them to behave responsibly. After all, they've got guns.

The thing is that I should not need a firearm to protect myself from "responsible gun owners". Indeed, the phrase suggests I shouldn't need to protect myself or anyone else against "responsible gun owners".

Again, the "gun culture" you describe and inquire about sounds much more familar to me than the one we're dealing with. But the fact of their existence is of little help to those who are victims of other "responsible gun owners" in the gun culture. You know, people like the late Charles Vacca, and the parents of the unnamed nine year-old who shot him to death. And therein we find a reminder: Just because Charles Vacca was part of this gun culture did not exempt him from victimhood according to its outcomes.

Even setting these things aside, and focusing on the gun culture you describe, instead, the questions still arise. So the NRA wants guns in the hands of dangerous criminals; there's nothing surprising there, since a society in which we're all packing heat is what they're after. But it's always puzzling when people like you choose to side with such irresponsible outlooks because your "libertarianism" makes you afraid of people who are just sick and tired of sacrificing innocent people for the sake of "responsible gun owners".

It would be nice if the gun culture you describe actually represented the prevailing influential attitude in our public discourse, but it doesn't. And, yes, it would be nice if the "responsible gun owners" would make a stand against the deadly gun culture dominating the firearms policy debate in our society, but they won't.

I would agree that the parents' actions in the case of Charles Vacca's death. If anybody other than the instructor had been the one who died, I would recommend manslaughter charges against the parents. Hell, I probably still would, but the idea that the dead was a willing party to the shocking, neglectful, extremely dangerous behavior gives them a good-faith defesne, so there would be no conviction, except maybe in a metropolitan area like Seattle where it would be hard to find a jury that wouldn't convict.

And part of the functional problem that remains between the idyllic gun culture you describe and the menacing gun culture people object to is that, given a choice, you will support the menace.

But, yes, if gun culture was predominately what you describe, then you and I, and the rest of society, would be having a much different discussion, one more satisfactory to your priorities.

And in the context of my question, that is rather quite disappointing. At the end of the day, we might agree that it is shocking neglect, but you, also, will remain afraid of the phantom nanny-staters, as you have previously and emphatically declared, and as far as you've expressed, it would seem, at least, that you would be offended by any prosecution of these parents.

Notes:

[sup]†[/sup] "Got a gun; fact I got two. But that's okay, man, 'cause I love God! Glorified version of a pellet gun. Feels so manly when armed!"

[sup]‡[/sup] "This is the time, this is the place; hope you never have to see with that face; stand with the sun in your eyes and you never question why. Tell another story of reaction, get it? All you wanted was a shotgun shell in."

Possibly crime may go down when everyone is armed, but accidental deaths go up along with the number of guns. My question, does it make a difference if i get killed by a robber (on purpose) or a nine year old (by accident)? Guns are specifically invented for killing things at long range; assault weapons, such as Uzis are invented as weapons of war for mass killing at long range.
OTOH, shotguns were invented for hunting fowl and have a relatively short effective range, thus are much safer than high powered rifles or submachine guns. Unless handled by ex-vice-president Cheney.

actual submachine guns fire pistol rounds and are designed for short range encounters

My neighbor had a pigeon adopt him today. How strange...

I just watched the YouTube clip of the poor girl losing control of the Uzi. God almighty, her family should sue the shooting range and the estate of the dumbshit "instructor" for her therapy.

I just hope he didn't have children. Take that both ways.
The parents gave her permission to shoot the Uzi. They took her there and they let her have a go. The father had had his go first and then they let their daughter have a go with it. Frankly, the parents should be charged with child endangerment.

The video clearly shows she could barely hold the weight of the gun. It is amazing she did not shoot herself in the head.

I wonder if this counts as the fun things children can do at a shooting range the NRA tweeted about 2 days after this happened?

actual submachine guns fire pistol rounds and are designed for short range encounters
ok, true, I'll rephrase it to submachine guns are military short distance mass killing weapons. Better?

How many bullets do you need to kill a deer? A good hunter needs one, maybe two. Unless you want to kill the entire herd a submachine gun is not a "fun" gun. Owning these types of weapons becomes "serious" business, which makes me worry about the direction human civilization is taking.

Last edited:
A note at the outset: I admit, it really does amuse me when these discussions break down into gun owners talking about their armories. At any rate ... movin' right along.
You do understand, I hope, that none of the people you're addressing will read this?

Gun nuts, by definition, have no patience. If they did, they'd happily solve their problems the way the rest of us do, the slow, hard way that doesn't always come down on our side because no one is right 100% of the time. No, they just pull out a gun and shoot the person they disagree with. End of argument.

You'll never get one of those a*****es to read something longer than two sentences, unless it's the owner's manual for his new made-in-Israel drone-mounted tactical nuclear weapon.

Across the spectrum, what it seems to come down to is that firearms advocates really like the political value of the idea of "responsible gun ownership", but simply haven't the stones or integrity to live up to it.
You still don't get it. These are not thinking people. These are shooting people.

They're all pathetic losers like George Zimmerman, Donald West Wilder II, and Adam Lanza: a gun makes them feel like real men.

But I still remember the National Guardsman who pointed his bran' spankin' new nine at me twenty years ago, laughed when I hit the deck and rolled out of the room, chided me that it wasn't loaded, pulled the slide to prove the point, and then we all watched the live round spinning through the air as it tumbled to the floor.
National Guardsmen are, arguably, the most dangerous of all armed people who are universally identified as responsible citizens. They don't spend enough time in indoctrination and training to adopt a military point of view, to become adept with their weapons, or simply to be able to make split-second decisions about who needs to be killed and who doesn't.

I wonder how many of our readers are too young to remember the Kent State murders?

You do understand, I hope, that none of the people you're addressing will read this?

Gun nuts, by definition, have no patience.
I wonder how many of our readers are too young to remember the Kent State murders?

Patience is perhaps a constant when I hunt. I never chamber more than one round, and I wait for the best shot to present it's self.
I never even load the weapon if i've had a drink. Weapons are intended to be deadly, and I take that seriously. But, then again, i ain't really mainstream in anything that I do.
I resent the "gun control" loonies, because in their quest to go after the folks that I don't even know, they would trample my rights as well.

Kent State should be a wake up call for everyone who expects others, your military included, to protect your rights, life, and property.
Personally, I would not have shot into a crowd of unarmed college students. There are those in your military, however that would just as soon shoot you as shoot a wartime enemy. When i was in the army, I met a few of those people. No few of them have the moral character of "Charlies girls"(Manson). Some folks are responsible, moral and ethical by their natures, and some ain't, and no ethics class will change their natures.

If my life depended on "the kindness of strangers" I'd much rather have a well armed friend or buddy who I knew and trusted.

Some people drive responsibly, some drink and "drive", and some text or chat on the phone while the vehicle(also a deadly weapon) meanders about with scant control.
Do you go after all drivers because you are just too damned lazy to sort out the responsible from those lacking in responsibility?

I'll repeat:
Everyone (every sane adult) should take full personal responsibility for all of their actions, all of the time.

ok, true, I'll rephrase it to submachine guns are military short distance mass killing weapons. Better?
How many bullets do you need to kill a deer? A good hunter needs one, maybe two. Unless you want to kill the entire herd a submachine gun is not a "fun" gun. Owning these types of weapons becomes "serious" business, which makes me worry about the direction human civilization is taking.
It is not the "how many bullets do you need to kill a deer" that owners of the weapon consider, it is the "now that I am out in the middle of nowhere hunting I don't want to have to re-load a clumsy single shot if I should run into a predator that wants my deer" that makes owning this style weapon handy or desirable
Gun nuts, by definition, have no patience.
personal conjecture based upon fallacious conspiratorial or internal fear beliefs
I would be considered a "gun nut", but I am incredibly patient.
also, Carlos Hathcock was a "gun nut" but was insanely patient.
your argument in invalid from the beginning
If they did, they'd happily solve their problems the way the rest of us do, the slow, hard way that doesn't always come down on our side because no one is right 100% of the time.
fallacious argument based upon inconsistent and blatantly fallacious starting premis.
this is more like a troll comment than anything else
No, they just pull out a gun and shoot the person they disagree with. End of argument.
blatantly fallacious and stupid argument based upon assumption and lack of common sense. argument designed to TROLL
You still don't get it. These are not thinking people. These are shooting people.
They're all pathetic losers like George Zimmerman, Donald West Wilder II, and Adam Lanza: a gun makes them feel like real men.
TROLL comment designed to inflame the pro-gun people
fallacious argument based upon stupidity and lack of real experience as well as rote argument passed on by extremist anti-gun beliefs and not designed to consider all sides of the argument, only designed to inflame the argument

and like Sculptor points out
Kent State should be a wake up call for everyone who expects others, your military included, to protect your rights, life, and property.
Personally, I would not have shot into a crowd of unarmed college students.

Mistakes? I did some work, when I was a kid, with my father, that I would not have been legally allowed to do if he included it under the proper business. Had I fallen off a roof, mucked up a leg losing control of the rotohammer, or managed an electric shock, yeah, that would not have been good for his parental rights.
sounds like MY childhood.
people who actually believed in everybody's rights instead of just their own. Real liberty
i like to think I am the same way. I despise those who would try to control another or try to violate another's rights.
it's hard to argue with their disgust at having childrens' services crashing down on them because their nine year-old daughter broke her arm falling out of a tree.
i completely agree... and I am NOT fond of a LOT of their practices... too many guilty get off Scot free while innocents are punished
I would also note that the father was one of the least responsible gun owners to ever use the phrase "responsible gun owners"
then he was NOT a responsible gun owner. PERIOD.
owning a firearm of ANY type is a responsibility. Safety FIRST AND FOREMOST.
And he tells the sorts of gun stories that "responsible gun owners" seem to think hilarious unless someone like me relates it to them, and then they get all angry and defensive about how dare someone besmirch "responsible gun owners" by including this fellow, despite the fact that they would have simply laughed had he told them the story.
wrong is wrong. period.
if it is not safe, it is not responsible. if it is not responsible (or safe), it is not a responsible gun owner.
it's hard to draw the absolute line in the sand; absolute lines erode more quickly than we might expect.
this is absolutely true
pun intended for levity
But at the point that one is putting an automatic firearm in the hands of a nine year-old, with the predictable result that someone dies, yes, the parents have unquestionably crossed that line.
regarding your story linked, then I agree.
but that ending is not predictable. it happened because the safety requirements were not met and the gun instructor was not safe OR responsible. It was not a tragic mistake, it was a blatantly stupid error on his part.
But this does not mean that ALL 9 year old's should be excluded from auto firearms.
IF you are in a situation that requires said 9 year old to learn about an automatic/semi-auto firearm, then it is prudent that said 9 year old learn about it as well as learn how to safely use it. SAFELY being the KEY WORDS.
I know that you and I will not see eye-to-eye on that particular statement, but it is a fact of life in certain areas. and in those areas said 9 year old will have to learn.
I can't tell you the dimensions of the gray area in parenting, but there comes a point at which something is observably beyond the pale.
When it causes a death because of gross negligence, then it can be considered beyond the pale... yes...
but please don't use this as a platform to encourage the removal of a constitutional right. There are others who may need those rights (like myself)
and there are those who should be exercising those rights (like the defenseless elderly in places like Chicago/LA/NYC/Miami etc)
but, as I have stated... these rights come with a huge responsibility (like safety) that should also be correctly adhered to as it is a necessity.
And, sure, my family is, among other things, a sailboat family, but we don't even send her out solo in Lasers or Sunfish. I can't imagine putting her at the helm of a proper sailing yacht for a long solo voyage.
this is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of a family that adheres to the concept of SAFETY and SUPERVISION.
this is how it SHOULD have been with the 9 year old. and how it SHOULD be for most everything else.
this is something that we can completely agree upon.
A few years ago, a teenager died when her Cessna crashed during a solo flight. Recently, a family lost its teenaged daughter, reminding, of course, that she knew the risks, when she set out on a solo trans-Pacific sail.
we cannot assume to know everything about the situation
We cannot assume that these teens were immature and not fully capable of doing the things that killed them...
inexperienced? perhaps (but not even so much that... solo flights require a certain amount of time flying before you can certify regardless of age)
This is a hard thing for me to take a cautionary side on: mostly because I know SOME teens that are more responsible and adult-like than most adults.
The issue with this AFAIAC is one of maturity, capability and desire. IF the teen is capable and mature and has proven this by constant practice, then the teen should be emancipated and allowed to prove to themselves the task they desire. In which case it is no different than an adult making a decision

many people will not see this the same way as I do.
What I don't understand in that context is how the idea of putting an automatic weapon in the hands of a nine year-old, under any circumstances save a war rolling down your street with no path of retreat, falls into any ethical gray zone.
ok. try looking at it from THIS POV:
lets say the family lives wild. Not rural, but in the WILD and far from any other people, like I do. In this case, the family also owns an AR-15. This is for putting meat on the table, defending against large predators or other varmints.
In said case, the weapon SHOULD be available at all times for use, and therefore all persons should be well versed in its SAFETY and use. When a child reaches the age in which the parents consider it responsible enough to control said firearm, then the parents should make sure said child is WELL trained in the safe sue of said firearm because it may well need said firearm in the future (say a Bear with cubs comes into the yard while mom and dad are in the barn and unaware of the situation and said child is the only one near the firearm... should things degenerate and there is a need for the firearm, said child should be fully aware of its safe use and limitations)
but again, this is MY interpretation. I have some grandchildren who are responsible and capable of learning weapons and driving young (and have been taught) and some who are NOT responsible and think that the world owes them something. Guess which ones are NOT taught to use my firearms regardless of their whines and cries?
That gun scared the holy living shit out of the boy.
i am really of the opinion that the introductory firearm should be a .22
it is far less scary and better to learn on.
That is to say, and perhaps this is just my ignorance, but basic physics would seem to prescribe against putting an automatic firearm in the hands of a nine year-old.
actually you are correct, BUT this also heavily depends upon the 9 y/o
a 9 y/o couch potato who is a heavy gamer? bad idea
a 9 y/o farm hand with experience chopping wood and handling heavy chores responsibly? different story
But, of course, it's true, I'm not part of the gun culture, don't want to be part of the gun culture, disdain the gun culture in general, and thus can reasonably speculate there is something obvious and fundamental about the outlook of the gun culture and its constituents that I am missing.
this is something that can also be remedied.
I would offer to show you some of the better sides to the gun culture (meaning more responsible and safe as well as some of the reasons of need) but that would put you way too far out of your comfort zone
You CAN find others nearby who can show you the ropes. I would suggest someone you can trust as well as someone who is WELL aware of your attitude and mistrust of firearms. Someone who can be patient and understanding as well as knowledgeable of the various firearms

gradually stepping outside of your comfort zone is a good thing and necessary at times. I've lived all over the world interacting with so many different cultures... from Buddhist to Muslim to Zulu... and so many in between... it can be liberating to see cultures that are vastly different than your own and learn WHY... but this also takes time.
sometimes a long time...
just a suggestion.

I am really trying to see things from your perspective, but I have a mental block in certain area's because I am not fearful of firearms, nor do I disdain the culture.
My fear of the safety, health and welfare of my family trumps it and forces me to consider keep them safe by all means available.
Perhaps this is my personal inexperience in living in safe, walled, protected communities with their own police force, or maybe it is because I am fiercely independent and I will never ask from someone else that which I cannot provide for myself...

there us MUCH that I don't understand about the anti-gun culture... but I am willing to learn and keep an open mind.

PEACE

See, I would say the opposite is true - an SMG is entirely a "fun" gun... in civilian hands, it has ZERO practical use. Most civvies don't have the training to use one correctly... and if they did, they probably wouldn't own one. Despite what the movies portray, even an UZI, if used full-auto, would quickly become less than useless at much more than spitting distance, due to recoil.

The only thing they are good for in a civvies hands is going to the range and putting many, many rounds down-range in short order... it isn't even target practice, because in full-auto, you're not likely to HIT the target in the first place.

Same with assault rifles - in full auto, you aren't going to hit much in the way of what you are aiming for... at least, not with any real accuracy.

*shrugs* Thing is, some people get their jollies off firing dozens to hundreds of shells down range in short order. I, myself, much prefer practiced accuracy and shot control... but that's just me.

I actually kind of take offense to this... while I am "one of those" who would defend our right to own firearms... I also feel a compromise is needed. Keep the weapons practical and useful - hunting rifles, pistols, etc. If you want something more "fun", such as an assault rifle, SMG, or machine gun, then you need special licensing, certification, and an EXTENSIVE background check, possibly even a psychological markup, before you can purchase one.

I resent the "gun control" loonies, because in their quest to go after the folks that I don't even know, they would trample my rights as well.
And why should you have the right to own a gun? Where do we draw the line with this foolishness: an assault rifle? a bazooka? a tank? an armed drone? your very own nuclear bomb?

Now you sound like an anarchist. That only works in small communities where everybody has known, trusted and cared for everybody else since birth--and is probably married to their sister. Let Grandpa make all the important decisions because we all love him.

The Agricultural Revolution changed all that. Residents of the first permanent villages discovered economies of scale and division of labor. Inviting the tribe in the next valley to come live with them made everyone more prosperous. But it required a formal hierarchy of leadership. As our villages grew into cities and our cities into nations and our nations into transnational hegemonies, we've been delighted with the increases in prosperity--not to mention the reduction of the work week from 100 hours to 40, and also the fact that 99.99% of us no longer have to have "careers" in farming. The down side is that we have to have a formal government.

If you don't like that, you're simply reinforcing my belief that people who like guns don't play well with others and would rather live back in the Stone Age when governments were unnecessary.

Back in the Frontier Days, it was possible for a man who didn't like civilization (and they were almost always men, except for the hapless wives and children who were dragged along) to travel to the places where the last Stone Age people lived, and assimilate. It's telling to realize that very few of them actually did so. Everybody complains about civilization until he stops to ponder life without plumbing, antibiotics and chocolate.

Do you go after all drivers because you are just too damned lazy to sort out the responsible from those lacking in responsibility?
I accept the risk of living in a civilization full of motor vehicles because motor vehicles have a legitimate, useful purpose. Guns don't. Except for a handful of reprobates who get their jollies by shooting non-human animals (leaving many of them wounded and suffering for days), the only purposes of guns are:
  • To escalate a disagreement into a murder
  • To make a pathetic loser feel like a real man.
The screed that guns are good for so-called "protection" falls apart when we discover that the average gun is five times as likely to kill someone in anger, confusion, carelessness or suicide, than to actually disable a human or other animal with both the ability and intent to cause serious harm.

I accept the risk of living in a civilization full of motor vehicles because motor vehicles have a legitimate, useful purpose. Guns don't. Except for a handful of reprobates who get their jollies by shooting non-human animals (leaving many of them wounded and suffering for days), the only purposes of guns are:

What about hunting? Or competition shooting? Would you say the same thing about a bow and arrow or crossbow? What about a sword? Knives?

For me, the purpose of a gun is as follows:
1) Item used for hunting for recreational purposes (note, I do not just shoot and dump, I make sure to utilize the animal as best I can... I can't stand people that shoot a bunch of animals and leave em to waste)
2) Self defense - Heaven forbid an armed attacker ever enters our home, I have an effective method to defend myself.
3) Discipline - for me, learning to properly handle and fire a gun was and is a matter of discipline. Not everybody views it this way, though

I get it... your statistic that "the average gun is five times as likely to kill someone in anger, confusion, carelessness or suicide, than to actually disable a human or other animal with both the ability and intent to cause serious harm." That's great and all... but that's NOT the guns fault. That's the HUMAN's fault. Don't hold ME, as a responsible, well-adjusted person, to task for what some OTHER idiot did.

Now, I do agree - something needs to change. It SHOULD be a bit more involved to get a lethal weapon then to walk into your local WallieWorld, saunter up to the counter, and go "hyuck I wanna kill me some aminals"... no, seriously, the background check SHOULD be expanded, and as I said previously - anything other than a pistol or legitimate hunting rifle SHOULD require an extensive workup. I would even say high-cyclic full-auto pistols should be included (like the Glock 19c... seriously, WHAT THE HELL do you need a pistol that can put a hundred rounds down range in under a minute for!?)

And why should you have the right to own a gun? Where do we draw the line with this foolishness: an assault rifle? a bazooka? a tank? an armed drone? your very own nuclear bomb?
Personal arms (i.e arms that can be borne by a person.) For your list above that would mean an assault rifle, probably an RPG - but not any of the others. (No one makes "bazookas" any more BTW.)

Well, I skydive, which has no useful, legitimate purpose (outside of killing people i.e. dropping armed paratroopers.) In fact I teach it and make a fair amount of money doing so. I must be even more of a pathetic loser who wants to feel like a real man. (Or I want to kill people; those must be the only two options.)

Last edited:
Now, I do agree - something needs to change. It SHOULD be a bit more involved to get a lethal weapon then to walk into your local WallieWorld, saunter up to the counter, and go "hyuck I wanna kill me some aminals"... no, seriously, the background check SHOULD be expanded, and as I said previously - anything other than a pistol or legitimate hunting rifle SHOULD require an extensive workup. I would even say high-cyclic full-auto pistols should be included (like the Glock 19c... seriously, WHAT THE HELL do you need a pistol that can put a hundred rounds down range in under a minute for!?)
C'mon now... how much MORE can the background check be done?
it takes a SPECIAL license to own a fully automatic weapon and to get that you need not only a background check, but another security check that does even deeper than the initial check. The gov't does a fully invasive colonoscopy with the IRS as well as Homeland / FBI etc...

the problem is NOT the laws, because we actually have some very GOOD laws in place... it is the LACK OF SUPPORT for those laws as well as the LACK of ENFORCEMENT for those laws.SGo to ANY law enforcement department in your area... ask about the statistics for the number of gun sales STOPPED by a background check... then ask HOW MANY OF THOSE STOPPED PURCHASES WERE PROSECUTED.

what good is ANY law that is not enforced? (like the cell phone/driving laws?)

NO ONE can just purchase a fully automatic weapon over the counter. it requires a special license per the gov't and wally world does not carry them
(i have NEVER seen one yet... but perhaps it is different where you are?)
i have seen auto/6 round burst airsoft but no bullet firing full auto

Possibly crime may go down when everyone is armed, but accidental deaths go up along with the number of guns.

My impression is that most firearms deaths are the result of criminal acts, and aren't being committed by regular firearm owners, including citizens who might be carrying a firearm in jurisdictions where concealed carry is legal.

But yeah, if firearm ownership becomes more ubiquitous, then the number of gun accidents is probably going to rise along with legal gun ownership. (I just read a couple of days ago that about 1/3 of all American households own at least one firearm. That suggests that maybe 100 million Americans live in a household where there's a gun. Firearms are already ubiquitous.)

Guns are specifically invented for killing things at long range

Pistols have existed for almost as long as there have been guns.

assault weapons, such as Uzis are invented as weapons of war for mass killing at long range.

That's probably true of heavier machineguns. My impression is that Uzis and their relatives are for applications like entrymen in urban warfare, for those who want to take care of all the opponents in a room as quickly as possible.

OTOH, shotguns were invented for hunting fowl and have a relatively short effective range, thus are much safer than high powered rifles or submachine guns.

My own opinion is that shotguns are perhaps the best all-around general-purpose firearm. They are obviously best for shooting birds. When loaded with deer-slugs, shotguns are servicable for larger game at shorter ranges. (I believe that a few US states require that deer be hunted with shotguns for some unknown reason. Link to example.) And put a short 18" barrel on a shotgun and it becomes probably the most devastating home-defense weapon available to civilians.

(Six 00-buck rounds consist of 54 34-calibre pellets. Compare that to the contents of a similar calibre submachine gun's clip. I believe that the US Marines did a study a while back on combat shotguns as close-quarters weapons.)

I guess that might be a function of how much damage a single weapon can do in the hands of a deranged individual. Obviously weapons of mass destruction are very problematic by that definition. The disagreements are going to arise defining how mass the 'mass' should be.

you're simply reinforcing my belief that people who like guns don't play well with others and would rather live back in the Stone Age when governments were unnecessary.

My own belief is that the people's right to own firearms is kind of the last line of defense of liberty and popular soverignty in the face of top-down elitist tyranny. That doesn't necessarily mean anarchism or opposition to the idea of government. It just means that people should retain some ultimate means of defending their own interests if things start to become too oppressive.

Obviously lightly armed civilians wouldn't stand much chance in a face-to-face head-on confrontation with a fully-equipped military force. But on the other hand, the combined force of many millions of armed civilians could conceivably form the basis of a significant unconventional popular insurgency.

I'll probably be denounced as a 'nut' for holding that view, but I think that it's consistent with what Jefferson wrote in the United States Declaration of Independence.

I just tend to favor 'the people themselves are the last line of defense of their own liberty' vision over the competing vision of a totally disarmed and emasculated citizenry reduced to just praying that its elite rulers up on top continue to remain (relatively) benign.

Back