Some facts about guns in the US

I will have to see numbers on this one. Any studies ?

Here are a few.

"Firearms in the home appear to be a risk factor for unintentional gunshot fatality among adults." - Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 35, Issue 5, September 2003, Pages 711–716
"Among adults who died in California in 1998, those dying from violence were more likely than those dying from non-injury causes to have purchased a handgun. " Injury Prevention 2003;9:48-52 doi:10.1136/ip.9.1.48
"Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home." American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 160, Issue 10, Pp. 929-936
"After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were. . .more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession." American Journal of Public Health: November 2009, Vol. 99, No. 11, pp. 2034-2040.
" . . .people with access to guns were about three times as likely to kill themselves and about twice as likely to be killed as people without such access." Annals of Internal Medicine, 21 January 2014

as I've heard it quite a lot, but I've never seen anything to date that supports it
Such studies are somewhat rare, since the NRA has managed to pass laws outlawing similar studies. (Understandable, since such studies tend to reduce gun sales, and the NRA depends on gun sales for part of its income.)

Here are a few.

"Firearms in the home appear to be a risk factor for unintentional gunshot fatality among adults." - Accident Analysis & Prevention, Volume 35, Issue 5, September 2003, Pages 711–716
"Among adults who died in California in 1998, those dying from violence were more likely than those dying from non-injury causes to have purchased a handgun. " Injury Prevention 2003;9:48-52 doi:10.1136/ip.9.1.48
"Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home." American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 160, Issue 10, Pp. 929-936
"After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were. . .more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession." American Journal of Public Health: November 2009, Vol. 99, No. 11, pp. 2034-2040.
" . . .people with access to guns were about three times as likely to kill themselves and about twice as likely to be killed as people without such access." Annals of Internal Medicine, 21 January 2014
thank you. I will try to look into those issues and read up on them

Any correlations with the DOJ? or is this taking info from the DOJ and adding in info from medical records?
do they take into account the legal (officer involved or like scenario) shootings?
recently early to mid 2013 maybe?) there was a study published by some anti-gun people that tried to push DOJ and health stat's as scientific evidence that owning a gun will kill you, but it was proven fallacious and retracted because they "cooked the data" and tried to include officer involved shootings as unjustified killings... much like some of those names on that mayors bus: bloomberg i think? mayors against guns or something? I don't remember it very well, only remember the retraction as well as the reasons (vaguely) .. and remember that stupid bus going around to cities with names of people killed by guns when some were criminals killed in the commission of a felonious crime.

I would really LIKE to see some hard science regarding this, but I think that with the polarised political problems surrounding it, it would be difficult to get a truly objective POV from anyone
this is IMHO mind you. I've seen BOTH sides go fanatical and get stupid on this issue.

Such studies are somewhat rare, since the NRA has managed to pass laws outlawing similar studies. (Understandable, since such studies tend to reduce gun sales, and the NRA depends on gun sales for part of its income.)
hate to be a stickler here but... NRA can't pass laws. just sayin'

but I think I know what you are trying to say. I may not agree 100% with it but I THINK i know what you mean
(i can't really agree because there IS the possibility that I don't know exactly what you mean, so....)

billvon said:
I didn't say anything about causation
Yes, you did. Like this:
billvon said:
On average, carrying a gun increases your odds of dying a violent death.
You have the carrying doing the increasing, a presumption not warranted by the correlation alone.

From the correlation, one could as well speculate that having increased odds of violent death leads to carrying a gun - in which case carrying a gun may decrease those odds, leading to the proper and data supported conclusion that carrying a gun decreases one's odds of violent death.

One could also speculate that increased odds of violent death are caused by some factor that also, and independently, increases the chances of gun purchase - some common cultural circumstance, say. In which case carrying a gun would have no effect on one's odds of violent death.

based upon just YOUR opinion... I know MANY people who carry and I am among them: please provide a link supporting your assertion, and make sure it includes trained professionals like myself
I suggest you look up the term ancedotal evidence.

I've had to draw my weapon hundreds of times... ALWAYS as a last resort... and NORMALLY I DO NOT HAVE TO DISCHARGE IT.
Therefore, unless you have some empirical evidence to the contrary, your comment is UNTRUE as weitten
you have zero empirical evidence. you have ancedotal evidence.

and your links/proof supports this assertion?

by all means, show me where I am wrong. link the study showing I am wrong. I CAN ACCEPT empirical data...

so basically you MADE A CLAIM but now you are saying YOU WILL NOT BACK UP YOUR ASSERTIONS WITH EVIDENCE because I will "through another childish hissy fit"[sic]????

I accept empirical data, but you seem to be trolling
but that's just it. you don't. how do i know you don't cause last time i checked your human being and human beings don't respond well to facts. and yes i won't cause your already starting with your temper tantrum.

this is personal conjecture

when you carry, the RESPONSIBILITY of the weapon AS WELL AS THE RESPONSIBILITY of the consequences weigh heavily upon you at all times... it makes you seriously consider what is going on, avoiding confrontation as well as attempt to disarm the situation with any other means than force...
its not conjecture. its psychology. contrary to your beliefs your not super human and are infact subject to the same flaws all human minds are.

obviously you don't carry
you FEAR firearms
and you are inexperienced

sorry for you, then
Your right I don't carry but its not because i'm afraid of guns. that's your bias. I don't carry because I know my self and I never want to be in the position where shooting someone looks like a good idea. when you hold a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Any correlations with the DOJ?
Several of the above are based on DOJ stats, but since DOJ stats often do not contain information like "was the victim armed?" they cannot be based on that alone.
or is this my taking info from the DOJ and adding in info from medical records?
Yes.
hate to be a stickler here but... NRA can't pass laws. just sayin'
Well, Jay Dickey (a US representative) could, and he recently admitted that he was "the NRA’s point person in Congress" when the law was passed. He also apologized for pushing the law that outlawed gun violence research by the US government. Here's what he said about the results of that law:

"As a consequence, U.S. scientists cannot answer the most basic question: What works to prevent firearm injuries? We don’t know whether having more citizens carry guns would decrease or increase firearm deaths; or whether firearm registration and licensing would make inner-city residents safer or expose them to greater harm. We don’t know whether a ban on assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, or limiting access to ammunition, would have saved lives in Aurora or would make it riskier for people to go to a movie. And we don’t know how to effectively restrict access to firearms by those with serious mental illness."

Hopefully that will change.

if someone wished to/tried to bash my head into the pavement, he would likely be met with the same lethal force. last resort. from what I have read about it ... it was a just shooting IMHO.

to quote harry potter. once again you put your keen and piercing intellect to the task and come to the wrong answer. zimmerman stalked a kid provoked a conflict and than killed him when he defended himself. he would have never gone after him the way did had he not been carrying a gun.

to quote harry potter. once again you put your keen and piercing intellect to the task and come to the wrong answer. zimmerman stalked a kid provoked a conflict and than killed him when he defended himself. he would have never gone after him the way did had he not been carrying a gun.
this is YOUR POV on the subject. I see it differently
he would have never gone after him the way did had he not been carrying a gun.
you dont know this for a fact unless Zimmerman himself specifically said it
I would have, armed with a gun or not... so it is safe to assume others would as well.
I suggest you look up the term ancedotal evidence
why? did I imply that I was presenting something different?
your original statement was
anyone who thinks people carry guns makes everyone safer needs to look up the weapon effect. the weapon effect can be summed up quite simply as merely carrying a weapon makes one more likely to preceive actions as threatening whether they or aren't.
[sic] this is untrue as written, and is considered personal conjecture unless there is some corroborating empirical evidence proving otherwise. Given there was none attached, then your statement stands as untrue until you prove otherwise, just like I posted.

I used anecdotal first hand experience to support my conclusions and even though it is circumstantial, it is used as corroborating evidence in support of a conclusion because it is known from first hand account, not secondary sources

and your links/proof supports this assertion?
from your original comment
again untrue. cops and soldiers show it to. people trained as much as possible to not be effected by it
[sic] which was a REPLY to the comment BY ME here
A person trained and experienced with a weapon will normally only use it as a last resort. And conceal carry classes teach that it is to be used as a last resort as well.
This is true from personal observation as well as experience and study. IF you make a claim like
carrying a weapon also greatly increases the likelyhood of misidientifing an object as a weapon. and carrying a weapon makes more agressive, ie more likely to threaten others
[sic] from post #823
an assertion made without evidence can be summarily dismissed without evidence, especially when there is evidence to the contrary, which I provided from personal background and years of study and experience in the field as well as due to a constant exposure to others carrying weapons.

I am not claiming anything untrue.
You assume that all persons carrying will be more aggressive and more likely to threaten others as well as more likely to perceive actions as threatening whether they are or aren't

and I am telling you that in my experiences as well as in my history of use and constant contact with others that carry/use/protect others that this is untrue, and that we've usually tried everything to defuse situations before resorting to weapons (even in situations where weapons were justified or required).

So, from my history and experience, I believe the statement to be wrong, and posted about said experience, which is a far cry more than the links/prof that you have supplied supporting your conclusions
but that's just it. you don't. how do i know you don't cause last time i checked your human being and human beings don't respond well to facts. and yes i won't cause your already starting with your temper tantrum.
and this supports your conclusions of what, exactly?
I respond just fine to facts. In fact, I PREFER facts. I can also admit when I am wrong. This is part of growing up... so your comment here is just your immaturity talking and it is your own personal inadequacies showing through in your argument.
I've started no tantrum. I want proof. Scientific studies from peer reviewed sources or something like Billvon posted to me above.
I APPRECIATE those kinds of things because it helps me learn, and that is something that I enjoy.
So don't project your personal failings onto me

essentially, your quote above is saying "neener neener. i'm right and you're wrong and i dont have to prove anything because I am posting just to make you mad"
at this point, failure to post corroborating evidence will only support the conclusion that you are here to Troll and piss people off.
If you wish to continue this discourse, I am requesting the evidence because I want facts and proof of comment
you don't HAVE to, and you may have your reasons, but that will also mean that I don't/won't reply or even be kind from this point on
Your right I don't carry but its not because i'm afraid of guns. that's your bias
you are correct, it IS my bias, but you've not shown any other evidence to support that you don't carry for any other reason, especially with the written posts to date.

You've been attacking guns through a personal perception of a situation instead of presenting facts, which usually means that you have personal issues that need to be dealt with in regard to the issue (which is ALSO psychology)
I don't carry because I know my self and I never want to be in the position where shooting someone looks like a good idea. when you hold a hammer everything looks like a nail.
I've never found a single situation where shooting anyone seems like "a good idea" either... even the situations where I was forced to use my weapon, so in that we can agree.

But that does not mean that I carry because I want to shoot people, because I am aggressive, or to do anything other than to protect myself. Where I live, it is not an option: there are lethal predators that may consider you a threat or a meal, so it is a necessary tool in order to stay alive
I've never met a bear or mountain lion that was willing to talk things over before attacking.

From this point on, I am waiting for your proof and some facts like Billvon gave me.
I truly appreciate his post, and I will be reading what he has given me to look at, because that is how I am wired.
I am an investigator. I KNOW people have different opinions and perspectives... and that the same situation can be seen differently by all parties who witness it.
it also means that I enjoy facts over anything else.

Last edited:
Several of the above are based on DOJ stats, but since DOJ stats often do not contain information like "was the victim armed?" they cannot be based on that alone.

Yes.

Well, Jay Dickey (a US representative) could, and he recently admitted that he was "the NRA’s point person in Congress" when the law was passed. He also apologized for pushing the law that outlawed gun violence research by the US government. Here's what he said about the results of that law:

"As a consequence, U.S. scientists cannot answer the most basic question: What works to prevent firearm injuries? We don’t know whether having more citizens carry guns would decrease or increase firearm deaths; or whether firearm registration and licensing would make inner-city residents safer or expose them to greater harm. We don’t know whether a ban on assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, or limiting access to ammunition, would have saved lives in Aurora or would make it riskier for people to go to a movie. And we don’t know how to effectively restrict access to firearms by those with serious mental illness."

Hopefully that will change.
thanks for that.
I know Jay Dickey and I completely forgot about this particular comment, so really... thanks for posting it.
he has some very valid points... and I would love to see some hard evidence and studies, but I would also like to see the 2nd amendment protected from those who would make firearms illegal. People like me need them, and I also believe that about other particular situations (but that is due to my background)

EDIT: I wonder how much of that was a political move to keep certain constituents (especially those on the fence who might have disliked this particular move of his)
I tend to be very pessimistic regarding politicians.

Last edited:
On Obvious Potentials

Nine Year-Old Student + Uzi = Tragedy

The lede from Hilary Hanson is inevitable:

An Arizona shooting instructor has died after a 9-year-old student accidentally shot him in the head.

Okay, so we always have these weird questions about parents who put their kids in an airplane or sailboat cockpit for some ridiculous endurance trial like crossing the Pacific. Or even the ones who just think their tween needs a pilot's license for whatever reason.

But if there is a way to make those questions simply evaporate, one sure method would be to put an automatic weapon in the hands of a nine year-old:

Investigators say he was shot with an automatic Uzi around 10 a.m. Monday while teaching a 9-year-old to use the gun. When she pulled the trigger, recoil sent the weapon flying over her head.

If her parents are smart ... er ... oh.

Well, at any rate, they can still call it a character-building exercise. She'll be fine.

Right?

After all, this is America, and if a kid doesn't kill a teacher with an automatic weapon, well, what kind of childhood is that?

Notes:

Hanson, Hilary. "Charles Vacca, Shooting Instructor, Fatally Shot By 9-Year-Old Student". The Huffington Post. August 26, 2014. HuffingtonPost.com. August 26, 2014. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ing-instructor-dies-9-year-old_n_5717603.html

I read the news, and my first thought was of the little girl. She will need lots of help for a while, bless her.

My second thought was amazement at the stupidity of the instructor. I have had 2 accidental discharges in my life. One .40 S&W, and one 30.06 for God's sakes.

The rifle round went three miles into nowhere, but the pistol was pure luck that the muzzle was at a 45° off the horizon when I screwed up. In a safe direction and in a sparsely populated area, I will add.

Both of them scared the shit out of me as they should.

The very first thing anyone should be taught is to index the weapon: Your finger is not on the trigger until you are damned sure you need to fire.

This story is horrible, mostly for the kid who screwed up.

The Seemingly Impossible Question

Dr Toad said:

I read the news, and my first thought was of the little girl. She will need lots of help for a while, bless her.

Aye. This is the sort of disaster that seems inexplicable. Some around me are hissing that the parents were trying to make some sort of political point, but that's simply the obvious, easy presumption. Still, though, I can't figure out just how the parents and late instructor thought teaching a nine year-old to operate an automatic weapon was an idea with any degree of merit.

Then again, I'm just not a gun person. The only time I've ever been shot at it wouldn't have been a clean shoot to return fire. And I was a hundred yards out, crouched behind a big freakin tree, as someone unloaded a nine with sixteen plus one. And I'll tell you this much, that period of seconds might as well have been hours.

But no, I have no desire to ever possess or fire a gun. Indeed, I'm generally hostile toward anything that is designed specifically to kill another person. Still, though, accepting that other people see the world differently, I still can't figure out what these parents, and especially that instructor, were thinking.

I wouldn't say it was the child who screwed up. The fault lies solely on the parents and the now dead instructor who allowed her to use such a weapon.

The very first thing anyone should be taught is to index the weapon: Your finger is not on the trigger until you are damned sure you need to fire.
That's the thing, she didn't do that. This wasn't an accident in that her finger accidentally depressed the trigger.

He was teaching her how to fire it and when she pulled the trigger, the recoil apparently sent the gun flying over her head:

Investigators say he was shot with an automatic Uzi around 10 a.m. Monday while teaching a 9-year-old to use the gun. When she pulled the trigger, recoil sent the weapon flying over her head.

The police report states that he was apparently standing next to her, she pressed the trigger once and the strength of it caused her to lose control, and the weapon went flying over her head while it was still shooting.

Now this poor kid will have this with her for the rest of her life.

I was a few years older than that girl in the recent tragedy when a guy drove me to a place that people used as a firing range, out in the country somewhere. First I almost shot my foot with a 22 revolver. Then later, he braced my back with his hand and arm while I fired a 44 magnum. The recoil was like getting the palm of the hand beat with a club. However, the worse thing was that it sent the gun flying back over and behind my head, and the guy was lucky he was off to the side enough that he didn't get hit in the head by the gun.

Aye. This is the sort of disaster that seems inexplicable. ... Still, though, accepting that other people see the world differently, I still can't figure out what these parents, and especially that instructor, were thinking.
about what I left above...
in this I am in total agreement.
As Dr. Toad was, so was I... my first thought went out to that poor little girl and the unnecessary mental scars that she will carry the rest of her life because of poor supervision. this is a scar (a horrible weight) that she will never be able to get rid of... and all because of really sh*tty instruction/supervision/etc
my second thought, like Dr. Toad, was the stupidity of the instructor!

my first weapons discharge ever was at around 7 or 8... double barrel 12 gauge with BOTH barrels loaded... both hammers back...
after I picked myself up, I realised the power of the weapon and the lesson never left me.

but not all people would learn the same lesson.

I hope the parents are now responsible enough to get her some serious counseling

stupid, stupid mistake

My second thought was amazement at the stupidity of the instructor. I have had 2 accidental discharges in my life. One .40 S&W, and one 30.06 for God's sakes.

The rifle round went three miles into nowhere, but the pistol was pure luck that the muzzle was at a 45° off the horizon when I screwed up. In a safe direction and in a sparsely populated area, I will add.

Both of them scared the shit out of me as they should.

man... what a horrible thing...
the kid didn't screw that up... but I think I knew where you were going with that.
You were basically saying that the kid will think that it was her fault and that her "mistake" was the reason for the death...
except this is ALL on the head of the instructor.

no pun intended.
I was a few years older than that girl in the recent tragedy when a guy drove me to a place that people used as a firing range, out in the country somewhere. First I almost shot my foot with a 22 revolver. Then later, he braced my back with his hand and arm while I fired a 44 magnum. The recoil was like getting the palm of the hand beat with a club. However, the worse thing was that it sent the gun flying back over and behind my head, and the guy was lucky he was off to the side enough that he didn't get hit in the head by the gun.
I am sorry that you didn't have a better instructor. at least he was wise enough to teach you on the .22 first...
not all instructors are good. this story is a good example... of course, it could also have been a tragic mistake, or just a really bad day for that instructor... who knows.

throwing someone behind the barrel of a large caliber weapon or a weapon with a lot of kick is not always a good idea... the young girl, elte, myself and others can attest to that.
some people may be able to take a lesson out of it (like myself)... some people will only take the pain out of it (i know some of those people too)

that poor little girl will be carrying this memory for the rest of her life. I hope that she is strong enough.

Cosmic Disbelief

Truck Captain Stumpy said:

not all instructors are good. this story is a good example... of course, it could also have been a tragic mistake, or just a really bad day for that instructor... who knows.

To that end, if I may: What is the conventional wisdom among firearms advocates regarding putting an automatic weapons in the hands of a nine year-old?

That is to say, people in my corner are very nearly hissing about the idea that one would only do this in order to make a political point, which would seem absolutely insane the point that these parents shouldn't even have been parents if true.

But at the same time, as I've noted, I'm not a gun person. Hell, I don't even understand why the local gun enthusiasts seem to think littering is okay. A culture so dependent on fear and compensatory dominance makes no sense to me, and I'm a gay dude who sometimes wears a collar with a freaking leash ring on it. That is to say, I'm ensconced in a sector of society where fear and compensatory dominance are often ritualized. But there is no cultural gulf I know of that confuses me greater than that between those who lust for killing power and those who simply don't want it anywhere near them.

The idea that anyone thought it was a good idea to put an automatic weapon in the hands of a nine year old is functionally impossible to me; I need to start invoking questions of psychiatric competence in order to explain it away. So I guess it comes down to the idea that I don't get how this happened in the rational sense of human beings making relevant decisions that lead to any given outcome. The only rational explanations, those about how the physics of recoil and how the child lost control of the weapon, simply beg the philosophical, psychological, and ethical questions.

I recognize that gun culture is nearly a foreign land to me, so it would seem that there is something about how this tragedy came to be that I must necessarily be missing. Hence, what is the conventional wisdom among gun enthusiasts on putting an automatic firearm in the hands of a nine year-old?

To that end, if I may: What is the conventional wisdom among firearms advocates regarding putting an automatic weapons in the hands of a nine year-old?

That is to say, people in my corner are very nearly hissing about the idea that one would only do this in order to make a political point, which would seem absolutely insane the point that these parents shouldn't even have been parents if true.
I am not sure I can answer this very well. I will answer for myself, though, if that will help?
First let me state again that the whole reason for this unnecessarily traumatic even was the stupidity of the instructor. He forgot about safety and paid the price for it... and now a little girl has to live with that the rest of her life.
People grow up with different ideas about life. I grew up during the cold war overseas in Europe and Asia with people actively trying to kill me regularly. I grew up a military brat around weapons all the time, and sans rights because I was not IN america. I didn't HAVE the same rights everyone else did.
So... I grew up learning about the safe use of firearms and safety with firearms, and the use of firearms (safely), as well as taking lesson after lesson about Firearm safety and safe shooting. (seems redundant but that is how I grew up. EVERY lesson started, ended and was filled with SAFETY... every time I shot it was another safety lesson)
People in war torn countries also grow up very aware of weapons, their use and deployment, etc...
now... I've always been big on education, especially to my grandkids. I have far too many daughters and granddaughters to take safety lightly... and protection as well. I have always been concerned with protecting my children and grandchildren, especially way out in the woods or rural areas where I live/family lives. There are things that can easily hurt/maim/kill out here...so I have always taught my granddaughters, kids etc how to safely use a weapon. OWNING one and not knowing anything about it is dangerous.
And not owning one can be more dangerous depending on where you live. In my neighborhood? There are critters as well as idiots... better safe than sorry. When you are this far out, sometimes it gives drunk people stupid ideas. and it has happened before.
I don't want my daughters/granddaughters to be victims.

another point I would like to have you consider... which rights are more important? which parents should have their rights revoked... ALL parents make mistakes. It is not the right of one to judge another or even consider themselves ABLE to judge another until they have lived the same life with the same hardships. YOU have been shot at, as have I... it is NOT a fun thing to have happen. Knowing that someone wants to kill you and is willing to try it... so we have had similar experiences there, but in NO WAY can I consider your experience the same as mine. Apples to oranges, right? Basically, I just wanted to point out that the Utopia of one person is the HELL of another... don't read anything other than THAT into the paragraph above, please.

I can understand teaching someone about firearms, especially ones that are around you. That may include automatic weapons. But I will always stress SAFETY and always push for experience and good marksmanship as well as good safety record before shooting. Right now I have a grandson who is not allowed to touch firearms because he will not listen and be safe. it is simple... there is no room for error with a gun, so I don't let him even try unless he will settle down and listen... and BE SAFE.

Don't think of it as just putting a gun in a 9 year olds hands... think of it like learning how to drive... or learning how to cook (you might not like this thought process, but bear with me a minute).
Strictly from the safety standpoint, you are not going to just hand over a book of matches (or lighter) and say "Cook up some Filet Mignon with buttered steamed vegetables and some Long Grain brown rice"... you will gradually work the kid through the safe operation of the tools (knives, stove, pots, etc) and gradually go more and more complex recipies till you eventually may well be able to tell your child to make some complex gourmet meal. The same analogy with cars works. You don't toss your kid the keys to the 18 wheeler outside and say "lets go for a spin to Canada"... etc etc etc... I don't need to elaborate this further, do i?

the SAME STEPS are used with guns. You start small and slow, and SAFELY... then work your way up to the comfort level of the shooter... NOT THE INSTRUCTOR.
just like drivers often choose a vehicle that is comfortable for them to drive (or comfortable based upon need, use and terrain).... the same with firearms.

I don't know if that cleared anything up... I am pretty woozy myself. no sleep in a few days.
But I hope it gives you insight to people who start teaching their kids young (be it firearms, driving, cooking, Blacksmithing, sewing, tanning, tracking, Tractors or more)
Some people teach because of their past as well as conditions ... some teach for knowledge. some for reasons their own.

The WISDOM is in the passing on of knowledge... the accumulation and application of knowledge as well as necessary useful information

perhaps YOU believe otherwise...
that does not change the world around you. I would LOVE for the world to be peaceful and without war... but I also know that it will never happen and thus I teach my children/grandchildren to be prepared for LIFE. Likely the same thing the parents were interested in as well. Except someone was NOT well prepared and concentrating on SAFETY (the instructor).

As for your "littering" link... that is another post entirely
talk later after sleep
PEACE

In my neighborhood? There are critters as well as idiots... better safe than sorry. When you are this far out, sometimes it gives drunk people stupid ideas. and it has happened before. I don't want my daughters/granddaughters to be victims.
Then why the hell did you choose to live in such a godforsaken place??? Survival is the first step on Maslow's Hierarchy. No matter how many attractive features a place may have, if it's not safe then no sane person will choose to live there!

I assume that everyone who lives there feels the same way you do, so there's at least one gun in every home. This isn't "safety." This is "survivalism."

Forgive me if the reason you live there is that you're poor and it's all you can afford. SciForums members in the USA, on the average, are middle-class and can afford to live in neighborhoods with very low crime rates, where the residents don't regard a gun as an indispensable appliance like a clothes dryer.

Back