Shamu Kills Trainer

The score at the break ....

Superstring01 said:

My knee jerk response is, "Good, bitch had it coming. . ." but realistically, she probably didn't. Either way, this should be a wake up call for SeaWorld.

Yeah, I was sort of the same way: Score one for the whale.

As it stands, there is some debate about the score. It's either 2-0 or 3-0 in Tilikum's favor.

Yeah, I was sort of the same way: Score one for the whale.

As it stands, there is some debate about the score. It's either 2-0 or 3-0 in Tilikum's favor.

Or. . . more tactically, about 1,000,000-1,000, human's favor*. Depending on your view of history.

~String

*Deaths are estimated for dramatic purpose

Hargrove ... Sexson ... Tilikum?

Superstring01 said:

Or. . . more tactically, about 1,000,000-1,000, human's favor*. Depending on your view of history.

True dat. It used to be that we in Seattle enjoyed the fact that our Mariners "owned" the Texas Rangers. For a couple seasons maybe ten years ago, the Rangers just couldn't foster any consistent play against us. Doesn't mean they didn't win any games, though.

Then again, it seems about that time that the Cleveland Indians owned the Mariners. We couldn't even fix that by hiring Hargrove.

True dat. It used to be that we in Seattle enjoyed the fact that our Mariners "owned" the Texas Rangers. For a couple seasons maybe ten years ago, the Rangers just couldn't foster any consistent play against us. Doesn't mean they didn't win any games, though.

Then again, it seems about that time that the Cleveland Indians owned the Mariners. We couldn't even fix that by hiring Hargrove.

Hargrove is still beloved by Indian fans--like myself--for bringing about the renaissance of the team (along with Dick Jacobs*) in the late 90's. We STILL have never seen a team like the one he ran. Since his departure, the team has seen a slow decline. John Hart should have been the one fired, not Hargrove.

95 and 97 were two of the best autumn seasons in my life. I went to the world series twice! I remember, DISTINCTLY, crying when the Indians beat the Mariners for the League Championship. That was a great time to be downtown (I was working in the once legendary Flats at that time). Belle, Thome, Mesa, Espinoza, Hershizer, Nagy, Assenmacher, Alomar, Baerga, and frickin' Ramirez were my heroes for the better part of my early adulthood. Even now, sitting here, I still get choked up and goosebumps thinking about it.

~String
*Cleveland sank to new lows recently, changing the historic, iconic name of "Jacob's Field" (aka: "The Jake") to fucking "Progressive Field" and stabbed the savior of Cleveland MLB in the back and dumped guano on his grave. I've officially checked out of professional baseball for good.

Very nice. Here's a video of the woman who's death you're celebrating.
225seaworld.jpg_20100225_05_58_50_6-190-270.imageContent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbegU5x_c8s

She accepted the risks of her job. She was working with a 10,000 pound carnivore with "Killer" in it's name. I personally avoid things with "killer" in the name. It be different if it was a "Cuttling Whale" or "Sweet, Kindly, friendly whale".....

She accepted the risks of her job. She was working with a 10,000 pound carnivore with "Killer" in it's name. I personally avoid things with "killer" in the name. It be different if it was a "Cuttling Whale" or "Sweet, Kindly, friendly whale".....

LMFAO, Mac.

"Cuttling Whale"

LMAO!!!!

That was rich!

~String

Unlike most of the other people here I'm not exactly celebrating, but I do have a strong sense of "What the f*ck did you expect to happen?" I mean, in addition to the whole wild animal/lots of big teeth/"killer" in the name, the animal had already killed two other people. So...yeah.

Why cant people just get on boat and go look at them. There to big to be kept in cages or tanks.They just want money they dont really care about anything else. They want learn until there is like 500 people dead from it

Orca. Orca, orca, orca.

Nasor said:

Unlike most of the other people here I'm not exactly celebrating, but I do have a strong sense of "What the f*ck did you expect to happen?" I mean, in addition to the whole wild animal/lots of big teeth/"killer" in the name, the animal had already killed two other people. So...yeah.

As one who lives in an area where Orcas are as common as they're going to be, I will make the pretentious, prudish point that "killer" is a misnomer. So is "whale", but I'm not so worried about that right now.

In the wild, if I landed in the water and needed help to get to shore before hypothermia set in, an Orca would be a welcome friend.

The "killer whale" is most dangerous to humans when we lock them up and make them do tricks for fish.

We need not celebrate the death of the trainer, but recognize, much as you have stated, that this is going to happen. Just as we need not celebrate the corpse in the back alley with two in the cranium, but we might wonder what someone thought would happen when running such gambling debts to the mob.

As one who lives in an area where Orcas are as common as they're going to be, I will make the pretentious, prudish point that "killer" is a misnomer. So is "whale", but I'm not so worried about that right now.

IIRC, their name comes from "Killer of Whales" because early fishermen saw them hunt and kill other whales. And, correct, they are just big dolphins.

Interestingly enough, Orca's form communities with distinct "cultural" inclinations. Certain pods (Atlantic Orca's I believe) are more likely to save you if your caught at sea. Pacific Orca's will torture you for sport and then eat you. Each pod forms a distinct family identity with intricate communication tones and play styles.

~String

At least once it's set free it will die while having its freedom back. What do you know? The deeply engraved instincts may come back, and they could survive, or some of them could.

Cetaceans should not be in captivity. The issue of what they do with the present ones is not as important as ending this practice altogether.

225seaworld.jpg_20100225_05_58_50_6-190-270.imageContent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbegU5x_c8s

No one is celebrating. But that photo you posted is kind of making our point.

The desire to say 'Dude, she's taken a wild animal, a whale, stuffed it into a water tank and attempted to domesticate it like it was some sort of pet and taught it tricks, such as riding it like a surf board, what did you think would eventually happen?'..

There is nothing nice about her death. Just as there is nothing nice about the circumstances that led to her death.

It's like people who express disbelief when a lion in a circus turns on its trainers and mauls it to death. I mean seriously, WTF?:bugeye:

Back