Sexual Discrimination and Violence: Changing men's attitudes

(Insert title here)

Asguard said:

tiassa how do you recognsile the fact that most people act oposite in bed to how they are in normal life?

I mean quite, reserved, submissive people tend to be the "agressive" ones in bed and vise versa.

I'm not sure that's a general rule. I'm familiar with the phenomenon, and two possible reasons suggest themselves quite obviously:

• Deception as an attainment strategy. ("He seemed like such a nice guy.")
• Repression according to social mores gives way in private. ("Dancing with myself, oh oh oh, oh-oh ....")​

And you also have to account for the people involved. I prefer to sink to the hilt. With my former partner, that in and of itself—speak nothing of rhythm, pace, or emphasis—was "rough". Another partner I might recall wanted it—proverbially—deeper, faster, harder.

You and I might easily come to terms on what you mean by "aggressive", but that's us. It speaks nothing of other men, or the lovers that might describe them.

(Note: My bad ... I had actually typed the response, got distracted by a phone call, and then, at some point, wrote a blog post over the top of it without ever posting it.)

a qualifier. by "agressor" i didnt actually mean it in the legal type sence but more in the sence of who jumps on who, who initates, who gets tied up and who does the tying ect

As a stand-alone point, the question pertains to men's attitudes toward women, how those affect and contribute to sexual harassment and violence, and what can be done to change these outlooks.

So attitudes are easier to change than behaviors, right, tiassa?

From a Utopian perspective, nature dictates certain outcomes that cannot be avoided, including a range of psychiatric dysfunctions ranging all the way to sociopathy and psychopathy. The idyllic question would wonder how we could reduce rape to only these rapists. Of course, that's unrealistic.

to be continued...

Nature also dictates that some people are simply too stupid to understand.

This is probably the most insightful statement to date...

Continuing...
Nonetheless, a tremendous portion of acquaintance and marital rapes, at least, could be prevented if the rapist had a better education in relevant matters.

So you say... This pretty much makes the women in question powerless, doesn't it? Let them await the omnipotent do-gooder who can "better educate" the rapist.

How do you know "a tremendous portion of acquaintance and marital rapes, at least, could be prevented if the rapist had a better education in relevant matters.", now mind you tiassa, before you go off on one of your pompous tirades, I am not saying it isn't true, but how do you know it to be fact? Don't you also hold that the rapist is ultimately responsible, as I do? Therefore, aren't rapists responsible, whether they are educated or not?

There really are men out there who believe such classic excuses as, "Sure, she said 'no', but you could tell by looking in her eyes that she meant, 'yes'."

Why do you believe this, Tiassa? Childhood memories?

To what degree can we reasonably alter men's attitudes and behavior in the long run?

To the degree that we all take personal reponsibilty. To what do you owe your enlightened attituded, tiassa? Are not men and women bound up in this quest for a better world? In your universe, are women second class?

Do they not have the right, and the responsibilty to do what they can to ameliorate the effects of rape? Just as men have responsibility for their own actions?

To consider the question in terms of the running discussion, the proposition originally arose that women invited sexual harassment—e.g., catcalling—by their attire. A sarcastic counterpoint drew a powerful response, that a woman, by her attire, was "asking" to be raped. And while plenty of men would—and did—denounce such an attitude, its essence persists in a series of arguments assigning women the ungodly burden of taking precautions that account for countless factors; in other words, it is a woman's obligation to figure out what turns a man on, and take pains to avoid such behavior.

No, tiassa, (patiently explained for the 50th time) it is not the "woman's obligation to figure out what turns a man on", although women spend a great deal of time doing just this, in a different context, but rather, what would be prudent and reasonable to avoid assault...

Again, I ask you straight out, do you take issue with the behavior of the women on "Girls Gone Wild"? If so, why?

Indeed, the alteration of men's outlooks and behavior was even added to the list of precautions a woman should take.

Ahhh, tiassa, I believe this was your contribution to a thread dedicated to that topic. Nor, unless one takes it out of "context" could you be led to believe that this was any less a man's responsibility than a woman's.

Aren't you the preeminent advocate of context?

From there, the topic post speaks for itself.
I think maybe it speaks for you. Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

A series of suggestions as presented, leading to the inevitable question of what those suggestions involved. This topic, intended to explore that question as well as the general issue of men's outlooks and behavior, has resulted most markedly in further focus on women and a general misanthropy that, on the one hand, assigns the burdens of other people's perspectives and behavior onto any given woman while, to the other, once again casts men as helpless before their sexual urges. All in all, what we have is a desperate defense of status quo.

What, in the final analysis, is wrong with assigning the "burden" of one's existence and consequences on one's own actions? Where do we deviate so much tiassa?

Would we tell a raped woman what she should have done?

No. There is nothing "after the fact" that should have been done. This is where the hysteria comes into play. Very simply, we all do what we can to reduce our risk of assault, sexual or otherwise, and then deal with what happens. There are no "sure things", sucks, right Tiassa? Even if we devoted all our efforts to social education, that doesn't mean it would be totally effective, should we throw up our hands if there is an isolated case in which it doesn't work?

Or should we strive to raise the next generation of men to conduct themselves better than our own? One of those routes lets us pretend to feel wise. The other seeks to actually address what is a massive problem of our society.

One is a solution based on "I", the other a solution based on "we". I think that this differentiates our basic philosophies as well as anything possibly could. Well spoken comrade...

Last edited:
(Note: My bad ... I had actually typed the response, got distracted by a phone call, and then, at some point, wrote a blog post over the top of it without ever posting it.)

Poor Tiassa, ever the victim....

Again, I ask you straight out, do you take issue with the behavior of the women on "Girls Gone Wild"? If so, why?

You need to realize that Tiassa works backwards from certain axioms in order to reinterpret reality so that it remains consistent with those axioms. One of those axioms is that society is always biased against women, and that the patriarchial mentality is embedded in the minds and genitalia of every man.

You need to realize that Tiassa works backwards from certain axioms in order to reinterpret reality so that it remains consistent with those axioms. One of those axioms is that society is always biased against women, and that the patriarchial mentality is embedded in the minds and genitalia of every man.

I am beginning to realize this, perhaps to the point of Tiassa becoming Sisyphus's rock...

Based on your (apt, IMHO) interpretation of tiassa's outllook, don't you wonder what happened during his childhood?

Last edited:
(chortle!)

Randwolf said:

So attitudes are easier to change than behaviors, right, tiassa?

There are myriad factors affecting the relationship between attitudes and behaviors.

This pretty much makes the women in question powerless, doesn't it? Let them await the omnipotent do-gooder who can "better educate" the rapist.

That's quite a desperate leap, Randwolf. And, to a degree predictable.

How do you know "a tremendous portion of acquaintance and marital rapes, at least, could be prevented if the rapist had a better education in relevant matters.", now mind you tiassa, before you go off on one of your pompous tirades, I am not saying it isn't true, but how do you know it to be fact? Don't you also hold that the rapist is ultimately responsible, as I do? Therefore, aren't rapists responsible, whether they are educated or not?

The misogyny that contributes to acquaintance and marital rape, for instance, is an acquired behavior. Pretending that every rapist—or every criminal in general—is inevitable is a dangerously convenient presupposition.

That a rapist is responsible for his decisions does not mean he would not have made a different decision under different circumstances.

Why do you believe this, Tiassa? Childhood memories?

Adolescence, to be sure. And adulthood. It is not impossible to find some variation on the theme.

To the degree that we all take personal reponsibilty. To what do you owe your enlightened attituded, tiassa? Are not men and women bound up in this quest for a better world? In your universe, are women second class?

As you demonstrate, not all men and women are bound up in a quest for a better world. As to my enlightened attitude, such as you call it? Well, you already complain about the length of my posts, so I'll simply leave it at a lifelong interrelationship with communities of human beings who, for better and worse, and each in their own way, give a damn about people other than themselves and ideas that go beyond mere greed.

Do they not have the right, and the responsibilty to do what they can to ameliorate the effects of rape? Just as men have responsibility for their own actions?

It is very telling that facing the question of men's conduct, the best you can come up with is to continually turn and point at women. You've had your chance to tell rape survivors what they should have done.

No, tiassa, (patiently explained for the 50th time) it is not the "woman's obligation to figure out what turns a man on", although women spend a great deal of time doing just this, in a different context, but rather, what would be prudent and reasonable to avoid assault.

(chortle!)

That's awesome, Randwolf. What is your problem with women, anyway? I mean, you seriously can't actually be so stupid as to realize that, in deciding not to wear something that might turn a man on, she might end up wearing something that turns another man on. At some point—well behind us in the course of these debates—your whole act seems at once deliberate and ridiculous.

No. Why do you keep asking?

Ahhh, tiassa, I believe this was your contribution to a thread dedicated to that topic. Nor, unless one takes it out of "context" could you be led to believe that this was any less a man's responsibility than a woman's.

There are three errors in that paragraph, Randwolf:

(1) The thread was not dedicated to that topic, except by the insistence of misogynists incapable of perceiving any other point to the discussion. (See posts #1868190/1, 1869513/13)

(2) It was a counterpoint to saddling women with the obligation of calculating and predicting men's conduct, which relates to the original theme of the topic. The point was offered originally in response to Gustav, and reiterated in response to Gustav. (See posts #1884538/251, 1884557/253, 1890776/465, 1890817/470)

(3) To quote you, Randwolf: "Got it, consider it added to the list." (#1890823/471). Now what list is that, exactly? As Simon Anders noted, "We are making a list of suggestions to help women cut down on the liklihood of them being raped." (#1888484/346) And as you replied to that point specifically, "Thanks for the benefit of the doubt there." (#1888497/347) Now, are you going to try to put that one onto Simon? Because you shouldn't. After all, you did make the point, "If every woman followed every one of these precautions every time, would one or more sexual assaults be prevented or avoided? Probably .... However, there are a lot of very smart people on this forum, and I'm sure we could come up with some more suggestions to add to this laundry list." (#1888363/341) And appealed, only a couple posts later, for more suggestions: "Anyone else with comments on the tactics presented by the members, or maybe some addional precautions to add to the list?" (#1888463/345)​

There is very little question about your context. Bottom line, Randwolf, if you're going to be dishonest, do a better job. Better yet, do it somewhere else.

Aren't you the preeminent advocate of context?

I wouldn't go so far as that. But perhaps you would be better served by focusing on the topic at hand, and not dedicating so much attention to me. As your lament in the prior paragraph reveals, your grasp of context is dubious at best, and a good part of that could well be the result of your egocentric pursuit of one person—in this case, me—instead of giving the discussion serious address.

To put it into as few words as possible, so as not to confuse you: Your disrespect is your undoing.

What, in the final analysis, is wrong with assigning the "burden" of one's existence and consequences on one's own actions? Where do we deviate so much tiassa?

In your definition of being responsible for oneself, you are assigning the burden of predicting other people's behavior while resisting the proposition that those other people should make any effort toward civility. Where we deviate, as such, is in your dishonesty, Randwolf.

No. There is nothing "after the fact" that should have been done. This is where the hysteria comes into play. Very simply, we all do what we can to reduce our risk of assault, sexual or otherwise, and then deal with what happens.

So your precautions are just a roll of the dice? Something arbitrary? Maybe we should put "carrying a rabbit's foot" on the list?

There are no "sure things", sucks, right Tiassa? Even if we devoted all our efforts to social education, that doesn't mean it would be totally effective, should we throw up our hands if there is an isolated case in which it doesn't work?

No there aren't, yes it does, and as near as I can guess from that second sentence, of course not.

One is a solution based on "I", the other a solution based on "we". I think that this differentiates our basic philosophies as well as anything possibly could.

I do not pretend that I exist in some kind of vacuum. I am not Dwayne Hoover.

Welcome to civilized society, Randwolf. We're all in this together.

There are myriad factors affecting the relationship between attitudes and behaviors.
True.

That's quite a desperate leap, Randwolf. And, to a degree predictable.
Well, how is your proposition empowering to women? It would take a kami-kazi leap to make that association...

The misogyny that contributes to acquaintance and marital rape, for instance, is an acquired behavior. Pretending that every rapist—or every criminal in general—is inevitable is a dangerously convenient presupposition.
No one is pretending this. However, if you take it as a given that there are dangerous and deranged people out there, then why do you say we (men as well as women) should not take precauteions?

That a rapist is responsible for his decisions does not mean he would not have made a different decision under different circumstances.

Slow down here, Spanky. Aren't rapists responsible for their own actions regardless of how "educated" they are?

Adolescence, to be sure. And adulthood. It is not impossible to find some variation on the theme.
Just wanting some insight on to what makes you tick....

As you demonstrate, not all men and women are bound up in a quest for a better world. As to my enlightened attitude, such as you call it? Well, you already complain about the length of my posts, so I'll simply leave it at a lifelong interrelationship with communities of human beings who, for better and worse, and each in their own way, give a damn about people other than themselves and ideas that go beyond mere greed.
How is the "greed" of rational self-interest interfering with you here? Once again, are you advocating that women should not take any precautions against rape because the world ought not to be the way it is?

It is very telling that facing the question of men's conduct, the best you can come up with is to continually turn and point at women.
I am perfectly willing to talk about men's conduct. I hope the thread stays on point.

You've had your chance to tell rape survivors what they should have done.
What? WTF? What are you trying to say here?

(chortle!)
Typical...

That's awesome, Randwolf. What is your problem with women, anyway?
Don't have one, not the slightest, smallest one...

I mean, you seriously can't actually be so stupid as to realize that, in deciding not to wear something that might turn a man on, she might end up wearing something that turns another man on.
No, I'm not that stupid.

At some point—well behind us in the course of these debates—your whole act seems at once deliberate and ridiculous.
I agree, tiassa, please try to keep up...

No. Why do you keep asking?
In order to find out.

There are three errors in that paragraph, Randwolf:

(1) The thread was not dedicated to that topic, except by the insistence of misogynists incapable of perceiving any other point to the discussion. (See posts #1868190/1, 1869513/13)

(2) It was a counterpoint to saddling women with the obligation of calculating and predicting men's conduct, which relates to the original theme of the topic. The point was offered originally in response to Gustav, and reiterated in response to Gustav. (See posts #1884538/251, 1884557/253, 1890776/465, 1890817/470)

(3) To quote you, Randwolf: "Got it, consider it added to the list." (#1890823/471). Now what list is that, exactly? As Simon Anders noted, "We are making a list of suggestions to help women cut down on the liklihood of them being raped." (#1888484/346) And as you replied to that point specifically, "Thanks for the benefit of the doubt there." (#1888497/347) Now, are you going to try to put that one onto Simon? Because you shouldn't. After all, you did make the point, "If every woman followed every one of these precautions every time, would one or more sexual assaults be prevented or avoided? Probably .... However, there are a lot of very smart people on this forum, and I'm sure we could come up with some more suggestions to add to this laundry list." (#1888363/341) And appealed, only a couple posts later, for more suggestions: "Anyone else with comments on the tactics presented by the members, or maybe some addional precautions to add to the list?" (#1888463/345)​
I'm happy you can count, tiassa...

Of course, this is by your refereeing...

1. The thread evolved to the point that this was the topic.
2. You are the only one that tries to "saddle" women with the obligation of figuring out their potential rapist's mindset.
3. WTF?

There is very little question about your context. Bottom line, Randwolf, if you're going to be dishonest, do a better job. Better yet, do it somewhere else.
Look, tiassa, if you're going to lie like this, there is very little point in talking with you. At least I give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you really are stupid, but where do you get off with your accusations of dishonesty? Perhaps a "NOW" forum needs a moderator...

I wouldn't go so far as that. But perhaps you would be better served by focusing on the topic at hand, and not dedicating so much attention to me. As your lament in the prior paragraph reveals, your grasp of context is dubious at best, and a good part of that could well be the result of your egocentric pursuit of one person—in this case, me—instead of giving the discussion serious address.
Don't flatter yourself, tiassa, it's not becoming...

To put it into as few words as possible, so as not to confuse you: Your disrespect is your undoing.
I'm sorry, I should respect those points of view I don't agree with? Just like you do, hmmmm?

In your definition of being responsible for oneself, you are assigning the burden of predicting other people's behavior while resisting the proposition that those other people should make any effort toward civility. Where we deviate, as such, is in your dishonesty, Randwolf.

Ya know, I am truly curious about this, especially since you continuously reitereate it. What, exactly, do you think I am being dishonest about? What would you accept as proof, assuming I decide to take you to task on this?

Again, "What, exactly, do you think I am being dishonest about?"

Oh, and in case you missed it, "What, exactly, do you think I am being dishonest about?"

And, "What would you accept as proof?".

So your precautions are just a roll of the dice? Something arbitrary? Maybe we should put "carrying a rabbit's foot" on the list?
Isn't all of life somewhat arbitrary? Especially if one allows the role of chance, which you appear to do. This does not change the laws of probability. Just another case of "life sucks, tiassa". Deal with it... Oh, and cruelty to rabbits is bad.

No there aren't, yes it does, and as near as I can guess from that second sentence, of course not.
Nor should we give up on precautions. I know it's going to be difficult for you to follow this, but that's ok.

I do not pretend that I exist in some kind of vacuum. I am not Dwayne Hoover.
I get the "Breakfast of Champions" allusion, but, what are you talking about here? Help me out, I'm slow...

Welcome to civilized society, Randwolf. We're all in this together.

Thank you, Tiassa, how did you manage to find your way here?

Last edited:
Oh, poor you ....

Randwolf said:

Most lately,

"Nor, unless one takes it out of "context" could you be led to believe that this was any less a man's responsibility than a woman's."​

Oh, poor you. You've been taken so out of context. Which brings us to,

Yawn. As if that wasn't expected.

And it's HIS f@cking birthday!

Moving on to more important things ....

SUNDAY, JUNE 8 "So last night at about 2:00 a.m. I went for a walk around Capitol Hill," reports Hot Tipper AT. "A few blocks from my apartment I heard a woman screaming, 'Help! Somebody call the police!' I started running up the block while two other guys ran around the corner, and we saw the screaming woman jump out of her car and run across the street with her shirt ripped almost completely off. Then a young gangster-wannabe-looking guy got out of the passenger seat and said, 'Shit, and it's MY fucking birthday....' I asked, 'So she has to give it up, whether she wants to or not?' He didn't respond, just walked across the street into an apartment complex. The woman came back and one of the other two guys gave her a long hug and said, 'Girl, you got to lose that bitch's number.' Some people in a window above us asked if they should call the police, but the freaked-out woman just thanked us all, got in her car, and drove away."

(Schmader)

Let me guess ... gangster-wannabes are just born that way? They're machines that have no will? There is nothing that could have been done differently in the past that might have changed his outlook and conduct in this situation? Therefore, of course, there is nothing that can be done to prevent future gangster-wannabes from behaving in the same manner? Which brings us to (drum roll please) ... it is a woman's burden to protect herself from men, since it is too much to ask that men behave as if they are part of society?

Precautions:

• Don't wear a shirt that tears so easily.
• Never go out with a guy on his birthday.
• Never be alone with a man, even in her car.
• Gangster-wannabes should be avoided at all times.​

Nothing like a healthy dose of paranoia and bigotry, eh? It's certainly better for society than teaching young men respect for their fellow human beings.

Then again, she should have called the police. The next woman he attacks might not get away.

Notes:

Schmader, David. "Last Days". The Stranger. June 11, 2008. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=596640

Most lately,

"Nor, unless one takes it out of "context" could you be led to believe that this was any less a man's responsibility than a woman's."​

Oh, poor you. You've been taken so out of context. Which brings us to,

Yawn. As if that wasn't expected.

Does anyone have any clue whatsoever what Tiassa is talking about here?

And, one more time, stop bestowing upon me the status of "victim", save it for your friends. And, by the way, thanks for the detailed, in depth response...

*sigh* oh well.... *yawn* /randwolf contentedly goes to sleep

Ya know, I am truly curious about this, especially since you continuously reitereate it. What, exactly, do you think I am being dishonest about? What would you accept as proof, assuming I decide to take you to task on this?

Oh, and in case you missed it, "What, exactly, do you think I am being dishonest about?"

And, "What would you accept as proof?".
Totally missed your response to this one, Tiassa....

CutsieMarie69:

Boys work under a rule mindset with their fellow men. They develop structure and heirarchy which permits htings like "do overs" to resolve conflict, as the game is still important. Women are insufferably incapable of any sort of discourse and friendship and society amongst eachother for a long time, and some never really develop that. That being said, they are not as controlling or aggressive, and the history of civilization and pre-history point to men being the controlling, aggressive sex.

aggressive perhaps not, but they are most certainly controlling. Have you ever sat down and played with little kids? Girls are very bossy they insist on being in control at all times. The opinions of boys do not matter to them. That being said I don't think its fair of you to say that women or girls are not capable of forming friendships, little girls have friends that just isn't true. I still think the controlling nature in men and the submissive nature of women is taught not inheritant.

Well, it seems that women and men are just "different". We can all get along, even in this world comprised of dangers and wong turns. Opinions exist, but in spite of this, we find a commonality. Except for Tiassa, of course...

What, really, do you expect?

As is your habit, Randwolf, you demonstrate the peril that comes with attempting to take you seriously.

Randwolf said:

Does anyone have any clue whatsoever what Tiassa is talking about here?

See, that's just the thing: If you don't pay attention to what you post, why should anyone else?

Totally missed your response to this one, Tiassa.

I'm not surprised.

(Insert title here)

Lepustimidus said:

I'm just curious, but do you walk down dark alleys, Tiassa?

Not often. Mostly because it doesn't come up much. It's not unheard of, though.

That's pretty stupid, then. I always avoid taking the train at night, or going to the city centre after dark. Too many people getting bashed.

Something about living in fear

Lepustimidus said:

That's pretty stupid, then. I always avoid taking the train at night, or going to the city centre after dark. Too many people getting bashed.

You should consider the reasonable and prudent precaution of moving to a better city. I mean, Seattle's not exactly crime-free, but one can easily get by on the philosophy that it's not good to walk through alleys at night because you never know what you're going to step in. Actually, the smell can give you a pretty good hint.

The thing is that I'm a male, so my biggest worry when wandering around town at night is traffic.

Back