Scientific Approach to the Jesus question

SkinWalker said:
Reviewing the thread, we're left with the same thing I said earlier: scientifically, Jesus doesn't exist. That doesn't mean this is evidence that a person named Jesus didn't exist, it simply means that there is no scientific method to say he did or didn't.

A man that had the supernatural attributes that were assigned to Jesus would be the talk of all cultures in the Near East and we would expect to see his feats documented.

There is no scientific evidence that Jesus existed. There is none that he didn't exist. There *is*, however, scientific evidence that no one considered Jesus or wrote about him until after the period he was alleged to have lived.

I appreciate SkinWalker's view here, not saying Jesus didn't exist but stating there is no scientific evidence He existed.

Two thousand years is a long time.
The Jews, who were looking for a messiah had about that same amount of time from the promise made by Melchesidec to Abraham, until the birth of Jesus, and they missed Him.
We have had about the same amount of time now, and what we perceive, presume, or believe Jesus to be is possibly off the mark also.
I believe the bible, even if only taken as a book (for those not convinced of Its authenticity), states that the Jesus of the New testament is a manifestation of the Jehovah from the Old testament. The same Person.

The great Pillar of Fire, Who led the children of Israel in the Old testament, is the same One who met Paul on the road, as a light that struck him blind.
And this same Pillar of Fire that led Moses down there in the wilderness is what Jesus when He ascended up, went back to.

You want scientific evidence.
God doesn't have to provide evidence, He asks us to walk by faith, which is revelation, yet He has provided evidence in vast amounts in this day we are living in, if for no other reason to leave this generation without excuse.

Jesus did certain things in the past recorded in the bible, that no one but God could do. He did these things to reveal Himself to certain people, while still remaining veiled from the multitudes.
Today he has done those same things, in the same way to verify it is Him still alive and here showing Himself as He promised in the last days.
The sign of the Messiah, the discernment of the thoughts of the very hearts of men, the raising of the dead, and the creation of living creatures from the speaking of the Word, all of this has been performed in this day, something only Jesus has done and could do.
Also the very Pillar of Fire, which is Jesus without His physical body has been photographed in this day.
That photo was checked out by the FBI and verified as the only supernatural being ever photographed.

So for someone that is looking, He is here to be found.
For the rest, they have been left without excuse.

Last edited:
TheVisitor said:
I appreciate SkinWalker's view here, not saying Jesus didn't exist but stating there is no scientific evidence He existed.

I will say that the mythical figure of Jesus as we know from the New Testament probably didn't exist. There may have been some sort of cult leader that the myth is based on, but there *is* scientific evidence that the mythical Jesus of the NT did not exist. This evidence comes in the form of what we know about physics and human abilities. Birth from a virgin simply isn't possible unless there is a sperm doner via in vitro fertilization. Women simply do not conceive without a male partner. Zombies do not exist. Bread and wine do not actually turn to flesh and blood when consumed. Liquid water doesn't have the solidity to allow a person to walk on it without large, inflatable shoes. One cannot heal another simply by placing a hand on them (blindness, leprosy, etc.). And so on.

TheVisitor said:
God doesn't have to provide evidence, He asks us to walk by faith, which is revelation,

No, "faith" in this sense is blind trust. Nothing more. There's no more reason to choose Yahweh and Jesus as your gods than there is to choose Allah, Vishnu, Quetzalcoatl, Atun, Ptah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. People accept the gods they are born with via the mind virus transmitted by well-meaning parents. This indoctrination amounts to no more than child abuse, however.

TheVisitor said:
Jesus, as God did things in the past recorded in the bible, that no one but God could do.

So did the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was recorded in the FGM doctrine. Do you accept the FGM as a real god? What's written in the bible is no more or less factual than what is written on the restroom wall of any I-35 rest area.

TheVisitor said:
Also the very Pillar of Fire, which is Jesus without His physical body has been photographed in this day.
That photo was checked out by the FBI and verified as the only supernatural being ever photographed.

And, as usual, you don't have any citation to this alleged "photo," eh? Still making shit up to support your silly superstitions.

TheVisitor said:
So for someone that is looking, He is here to be found.
For the rest, they have been left without excuse.

For those that have no independent ability to think (sheeple), the indoctrinations of their ancestors rule their days and their lives are wasted in pitiful superstition. Wake up and live.

The danger with "evidence" is this: If Jesus does a miracle right in front of you, that leaves you with two options to explain the supernatural.
Your reference to the limits of human physical abilities and physics tells me you must not have any experience in the realms of what would be called supernatural.
Science tells us we operate below our abilities, only using 10% of our brain, and Jesus said if you believe in your heart and don't doubt, that if you say to this mountain to be moved it will.
Notice though He said heart, not mind.
There is a difference.

Many people have experienced miracles, myself included and have operated in the realms of what faith can bring to pass beyond human abilities.
Back to the two options left you, you can either call it of God, or the Devil.
The later was the route the organized religions took to keep a manifestation of God's power from exposing them as false, which amounts to blasphemy, calling a work of God a work of the devil.
One could just laugh and say theres nothing to it also, but thats not advisable either.
Many have gone stark raving mad for doing that very thing, and thats documented also.
I'm cautious at giving you a link to the picture of the Angel of the Lord you requested with the accompanying FBI files, because I don't want to make you worse.
What I post is not just for the person I'm typing to at the moment, but any who might read it.
God bless.

Last edited:
TheVisitor said:
so with your attitude I"m cautious at giving you a link to the picture you requested with the accompanying FBI files, which I could.

Don't bother. Links to your delusions would return a 404 Error.

Wilmet said:
A question was asked and I answered it... The year of the birth of Jesus Christ was recorded in a non-scriptural source... confirming rather than denying (not proving) the existence of an historical Jesus...

No it wasn't.

It was not "recorded" at all.

Instead, many CENTURIES afterwards, someone CHOSE to start dating things from his ESTIMATE of Jesus's birth centuries before (and he was wrong by 4-6 years or so.)

It doesn't prove or confirm anything about Jesus' existance many centuries earlier.

Wilmet said:
Again... early rabbinical writings about Jesus confirm rather than deny (not prove) the existence of an historical Jesus.

No.

Many CENTURIES after the alleged Jesus, we see Jewish responses to the Christian story - versions which are quite DIFFERENT to the the Christian stories.

This confirms only that Jews heard the Jesus stories - no more.

Iasion

SW said:

I fail to see how a set of texts written around 550 CE can serve as confirmation for the anyone. Moreover, the Talmud Bavli only included mention of Yeshu, which has been variously defined as Jesus. But the mentions of Yeshu in the Talmud may have their origin in the writings of Celsus, who wrote in 178 CE that a Jew imparted a story to him of Jesus being born to a divorced Mary who had separated from Joseph after having an affair with a Roman soldier.
The jewish historical community generally rejects that account of Celsus because it appears to be a rebuttal too long after the fact (almost 200 years after his birth). Here is the full account from Celsus:

Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.
BTW, as you noticed, many of the jews attributed magical powers to Jesus though they didn't believe he was a godman, and were very much opposed to him. They didn't deny he ever existed. You can claim it was the result of early christian revisionism, but it (revisionism) didn't work well for the Egytian pharos when they wanted to clean out historical accounts. One of the problems being, because of low literacy rates, a lot of information was passed through oral traditions. Therfore something of significance can be purged, and then pop up at a later date. It can get distorted in the process.

I think there are some good links out there on the history of jerusalem, and the jewish people know it best. They have diligently preserved the OT over the centuries.

Here are some of the more "neutral" links on the subject of the history of Jesus:

Virtual Religion websiteand Homepage

PBS article

Mandala Project

Jewish Virtual Library -- they have a nice section for archaeologists

Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Century One main events in Christian History

Century One main events in Jerusalem's History

Link to early jewish historian Josephus' antiquities

University of Pennsylvania's review of the Testamonium Flavianum by Josephus

World Zionist Organization in Jerusalem. This website is having problems.

Anyway, enjoy the links. There is plenty of archaeology going on in and around Jeruslem.

The Jesus Myth position is a minority position, but I think you know that.

Iasion said:
No it wasn't.

It was not "recorded" at all.

Instead, many CENTURIES afterwards, someone CHOSE to start dating things from his ESTIMATE of Jesus's birth centuries before (and he was wrong by 4-6 years or so.)

It doesn't prove or confirm anything about Jesus' existance many centuries earlier.

No.

Many CENTURIES after the alleged Jesus, we see Jewish responses to the Christian story - versions which are quite DIFFERENT to the the Christian stories.

This confirms only that Jews heard the Jesus stories - no more.

Iasion

Sorry, but I don't agree with your "many centuries" estimate. For example: According to the research of skeptic Randall Niles, at least 40 authors explicitly mention Jesus and the resulting spiritual movement within the first 150 years of his life while scholars have only found 10 sources which mention the Emporer Tiberius within 150 years of his life.

SkinWalker said:
There *is*, however, scientific evidence that no one considered Jesus or wrote about him until after the period he was alleged to have lived.

I disagree. The Dead Sea Scrolls are estimated to have been written from about 200 BC/BCE to 68 AD/CE.

Many instances in the Bible, including the controversy over the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, has been substantiated by both historical and archeological evidence. When Paul, James, Peter, and many others were preaching about the resurrection, there is no record, even in the Palestinian Talmud, of anyone ever disputing what these men and women had witnessed. Jesus was on the earth for 40 days before His assension (sp?) and had spoken to groups of people up to 5,000. His ministry was real, and He quoted quite a bit from the existing scriptures (which is now the OT). So we know historically Jesus, His ministry, death, resurrection, and assension was real, and in His ministry He validated the OT, which also has alot of strong support hisorically and archeaologically.

Josephus was a noted historian and here is a passage he wrote in 93 A.D.:

"About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accursed by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prohesied these and countless other marvelous things about him."

Another well noted historian was actually the writer of two of the books of the Bible- Luke. Archaeology has shown that he was write in many of his descriptions. Luke refered to Lysanias asbeing the tetrarch of Abilene in 27 A.D. For years scholars were using this to disprove Luke's credibility since Lysanias was not a tetrarch but a ruler 50 years earlier, but later we see archaeological evidence to prove Luke's statement:

"An inscription was later found from the time of Tiberius, from A.D. 14 to 37, which names Lysanias as tetrarch in Abila near Damascus- just as Luke had written."- John McRay, Ph.D.

"It's extremely significant that Luke has been established to be a scrupulously accurate historian, even in the smallest details. One prominent archaeologist carefully examined Luke's references to thirty-two countries, fifty-four cities, and nine islands, finding not a single mistake."- McRay

Historian Michael Grant stated in his book Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels, "True, the discovery ofthe empty tomb is differently described by the various gospels, but if we apply the same sort of criteria that we would apply to any other ancient literary sources, then the evidence is firm and plausible enough to necessitate the conclusion that the tomb was, indeed, found empty."

Hello, U guys say that there is no evidence of Jesus. Have u ever heard of the box that was found with the inscription "james, son of joseph brother of jesus"? It was estimated to be from around 62ad. It was something that the jewish used to place the bones of their loved ones in the time of jesus. the website is http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/10/21/jesus.box.com. i think they said that it was uncommom for them to put a brothers name on it unless the brother was someome of importance. It doesn't "CONFIRM" jesus without a showdow of a doubt but in my eyes it gives more credibility to the possibility that the jesus that talked about in the NT was a actual person. i've always believed in jesus and always will. I'm not saying that box proves anything. I enjoy reading what the people hear have to say, both for and against my belief. it's obvious u guys are intellegent. i would just really like to hear what u guys think of it. i'm looking forward to ur opinions.

Cris said:
...These were written by the myth-makers in any case. The issue is whether the hero of the stories actually existed. Or weren’t you paying attention?
The problem with quoting from the Gospels is that they are part of the myth written long after the event...
From the OED Online:
myth, n.
A traditional story, typically involving supernatural beings or forces, which embodies and provides an explanation, aetiology, or justification for something such as the early history of a society, a religious belief or ritual, or a natural phenomenon.

From M-W Online (disclaimer: not from M*W - i.e. authentic and credible):
myth [noun]
1: a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon

2a: a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society ... b : an unfounded or false notion

3: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

Just stating the obvious again - the use of the word myth does not entirely indicate an event that isn't factual.

It would appear then, that Cris is quite ambivalent with regards to the stories of Jesus life and teachings being non-factual. :)

So young 'n's, when you see the word myth being thrown around, don't just go thinking "false story".
The issue here is that potentially the most important figure in the history of mankind has not left any evidence behind to show he ever existed. Now that defies logic.
While I would modify the above to "any evidence that I am willing to consider credible", it certainly will defy logic - if you don't know what this event is all about.

The requirement - as is overly stressed in the OT and more so the NT myths is for faith.

You must have faith to believe.

Belief in God will not come as easy as those garnered via the scientific laws of nature - you won't believe you can saw 4 or so fingers on your right hand off and emmidiately re-attach them as if nothing happened. The laws of nature don't allow it. Even if you'd love it to be that way - it aint... yet.

What regard does the majority of humanity have for the scientific laws of nature? Does humanity love them? I am certain some engineers and scientiists at times disdain them due to the limits they place on human endeavours.

Cris, I'm sure, disdains them 'cause it means 100 additonal yrs of life would be a God granted miracle - but... "there's no God, no Jesus", no salvation. Not for Cris anyway, as he has no faith in Jesus, or God.

If evidence verifying the Christian Faith came as easily and forcefully as scientific evidence... would believers love God? Would they appreciate what His Son did according to the myths? Would they appreciate what He does? Would they appreciate the necessity to live a Christian life? Would they love the Christian way? Would they love Jesus for what He did according to the myths?

No, I don't think so. You have to grow to believe in and love God through faith in His Son Jesus - according to the myths. It's the only way. When scientific evidence comes around it'll be too late, for sure.

Pascal's Wager is paramount (to debate it's veracity do a search and read what comes up).

Maybe those who wait for scientific verification are those who weren't chosen. Maybe God chooses us through or choices to believe through faith... or wait... or rebel.

According to the myths, God requires us to believe in His Love for us and love Him in return. That won't come via the scientific laws of nature.

All believers love God. Scientists and scientific adherents don't (all) love the laws of nature.

Last edited:
Rickie said:
Hello, U guys say that there is no evidence of Jesus. Have u ever heard of the box that was found with the inscription "james, son of joseph brother of jesus"? It was estimated to be from around 62ad. It was something that the jewish used to place the bones of their loved ones in the time of jesus. the website is http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/10/21/jesus.box.com. i think they said that it was uncommom for them to put a brothers name on it unless the brother was someome of importance. It doesn't "CONFIRM" jesus without a showdow of a doubt but in my eyes it gives more credibility to the possibility that the jesus that talked about in the NT was a actual person. i've always believed in jesus and always will. I'm not saying that box proves anything. I enjoy reading what the people hear have to say, both for and against my belief. it's obvious u guys are intellegent. i would just really like to hear what u guys think of it. i'm looking forward to ur opinions.
I dont mind saying that jesus may have had existed but not in the way the NT puts him. In my mind he was probably just a good teacher with a strict moral code. To say that he is the son of god is a little much considering that god probably dosent exist, atleast not in the form the monthesic(sp?) religons sale god.

Rickie said:
Hello, U guys say that there is no evidence of Jesus. Have u ever heard of the box that was found with the inscription "james, son of joseph brother of jesus"?

The Ossuary of James was a demonstrable fraud, perpetrated by an Israeli antiquities dealer looking to make a buck. When Israeli police raided his home, they found all the tools needed to create a fake patina. Moreover, the script used on the ossuary itself was an obvious fake because of its form.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=320971&sw=Oded

ggazoo said:
Many instances in the Bible, including the controversy over the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, has been substantiated by both historical and archeological evidence. [...] alot of strong support hisorically and archeaologically.

And this archaeological evidencen and support is...? As an archaeologist, I'm eager to see the citations. What are the data?

ggazoo said:
When Paul, James, Peter, and many others were preaching about the resurrection, there is no record, even in the Palestinian Talmud,

Again, the Talmud was written hundreds of years after the alleged time of the alleged Christ.

ggazoo said:
Jesus was on the earth for 40 days before His assension (sp?) and had spoken to groups of people up to 5,000.

Why didn't anyone write about this marvelous feat? Groups of up to 5000 is a lot of people... surely someone had the foresight to scrawl the time and place of one of his "concerts" on at least a potsherd. Millions of ostraca exist for the most mundane reasons in the Near East, but we can't find a single one that says "Jesus was here, but now he's gone. He left his name to carry on.

ggazoo said:
His ministry was real, and He quoted quite a bit from the existing scriptures (which is now the OT).

So there was someone who wrote it down during his life! Who was it? Share it, please!

ggazoo said:
So we know historically Jesus, His ministry, death, resurrection, and assension was real, and in His ministry He validated the OT

No, we don't "know" this. Some people (believers) assume it to be true without application of critical thought or proper evaluation of evidence. The believers choose only to take the word of writers that existed after the alleged Christ. The assume that the writers of the alleged "gospels" were the same as their titles -yet there is little evidence to support the notion and a bit to refute it: one of the gospels (John, if memory serves correct) describes Jesus' journey around the Sea of Galilee (it was obviously written by someone who didn't know the geography based on the illogical route assigned to Jesus); literary analysis reveals that Luke and Matthew are simply retold & edited versions of Mark and "Q."

ggazoo said:

Josephus has already been dealt with (rather harshly) elswhere in this thread. Did you read it? Or are you just typing propaganda passed on from your indoctrination training. Come on... think for yourself. Critically examine and inquire. Josephus was not contemporaneous to Jesus, so his "history" is questionable on just this reason alone. Moreover, the authenticity of Josephus' words have some questions since the passages appeared heavily redacted -christian propaganda was strong in the early church years. The Talmud was ordered stripped of all mentions of Yeshu since they were considered largely inflammatory.

ggazoo said:
Another well noted historian was actually the writer of two of the books of the Bible- Luke. Archaeology has shown that he was write in many of his descriptions. Luke refered to Lysanias asbeing the tetrarch of Abilene in 27 A.D. For years scholars were using this to disprove Luke's credibility since Lysanias was not a tetrarch but a ruler 50 years earlier, but later we see archaeological evidence to prove Luke's statement:

"An inscription was later found from the time of Tiberius, from A.D. 14 to 37, which names Lysanias as tetrarch in Abila near Damascus- just as Luke had written."- John McRay, Ph.D.

Using this logic, we can apply it to Melville's Moby Dick and assume that Captain Ahab and Ishmael were real people. After all, Melville accurately described Queequeg, a Polynesian, and we know the Polynesians exist.

Come on, guy. Get real. Where did McRay publish his findings? I'll bet the apologetic source you're copy/pasting from hasn't even bothered to cite McRay properly. What has McRay said that offers any more credibility for Jesus than Meliville does for Ahab? And for every factual point of the bible you can give me that archaeology supports, I can return two that archaeology says the bible fudged. Want to take that challenge?

ggazoo said:
Historian Michael Grant stated in his book Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels, "True, the discovery ofthe empty tomb is differently described by the various gospels, but if we apply the same sort of criteria that we would apply to any other ancient literary sources, then the evidence is firm and plausible enough to necessitate the conclusion that the tomb was, indeed, found empty."

If we applied the same sort of criteria that we apply to other literary sources, the bible would have be sent to the rubbish heap ages ago. The earliest dated written reference to "Jesus" is dated to around 70 CE. Nothing is dated earlier. Not a scrap of papyrus, not a sherd of pot, not a crumble of stone.

SW said,

So there was someone who wrote it down during his life! Who was it? Share it, please!

Actually, the only person mentioned writing anything down during Jesus' ministry was Pontious Pilate who had inscriptions placed above his head on the cross. People did a lot more talking than writing back then.

If we applied the same sort of criteria that we apply to other literary sources, the bible would have be sent to the rubbish heap ages ago.

But it wasn't thrown away, though many tried to purge this unwelcome new religion. Then Rome highjacked it.

The earliest dated written reference to "Jesus" is dated to around 70 CE. Nothing is dated earlier. Not a scrap of papyrus, not a sherd of pot, not a crumble of stone.

The writing came from somebody in prison most likely. That's where a lot of them (disciples) ended up. You'll notice all of the writings are to other christians or churches. I guess nobody really cared if it ended up in a history book.

If there really is a God, does he need any physical token to establish his existence? If he signed his name to a papyrus, how much do you suppose it would sell for? I heard there was enough "genuine crucifix wood" coming out of Jerusalem during the crusades to build several houses. It would all be commercialized. I'm glad he only left us what counts the most -- His words. The rest of it doesn't matter to me. His words are powerful. Read them.

BTW, He said he wants people to follow him because of what he says, not because of what they see Him do. That's the way he wanted it, but it's not the way you want it. You need something physical that you can put in your own hands. Thomas was that way too. Nothing wrong with him, he was just a practical man.

Jesus was a carpenter for most of his life. I guess they go kind of un-noticed, like a carpenter today. Next time you think of something important, just take it on down to your local carpenter. ;)

Last edited:
Greetings,

Wilmet said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with your "many centuries" estimate.

Wow.
You've forgotton what YOU said only a few posts ago.

YOU claimed the birth of Jesus was recorded, that BC/AD dating confirmed his birth.

I pointed out that our dating system was only invented in the 6th century - many CENTURIES after the alleged life of Jesus.
This is a known historical fact.

Then,
YOU claimed the Talmud recorded Jesus during his lifetime. This is not true - Talmud references date to CENTURIES after the alleged time of Jesus.

You were wrong on both issues.

Now you try abd blatantly change the subject - did you think we wouldn't notice?

Wilmet said:
For example: According to the research of skeptic Randall Niles, at least 40 authors explicitly mention Jesus and the resulting spiritual movement within the first 150 years of his life while scholars have only found 10 sources which mention the Emporer Tiberius within 150 years of his life.

We have HARD evidence for Tiberius -

Tiberius - statues made during his life
Jesus - nothing.

Tiberius - coins made during his life, showing his face at different ages
Jesus - nothing.

Tiberius - family members.
Jesus - nothing.

Tiberius existance is certain - Jesus is not.

Iasion

Rickie,

Hi and welcome to sciforums.

Have u ever heard of the box that was found with the inscription "james, son of joseph brother of jesus"? It was estimated to be from around 62ad.
It is known as an ossuary, and in this case the inscription was a forgery.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/06/18/jesus.box/index.html

However, there was a great deal of fuss, enthusiasm, and excitement at the time about this potential evidence of Jesus’ existence. That fact alone reveals the real embarrassment the church feels about the total absence of evidence for Jesus; that they would reach for this miniscule fragment to support their claims; that finally here was some real evidence - it was not to be - just another forgery.

The passage from Josephus was the only other potential evidence and that didn’t surface until around 300CE (the time of the Nicene Creed), i.e. when Christian doctrine was established. The timing of the Josephus forgery is revealing as it shows just another attempt by the church to somehow show that Jesus was actually a real person to support their new formed official religion.

Greetings,

ggazoo said:
Many instances in the Bible, including the controversy over the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, has been substantiated by both historical and archeological evidence.

So?
Gone with the Wind has real history in it too.
That does not make it a true story.

Why do you think a few historical references makes the legends in NT true?

ggazoo said:
When Paul, James, Peter, and many others were preaching about the resurrection, there is no record, even in the Palestinian Talmud, of anyone ever disputing what these men and women had witnessed.

There is no record of anyone even NOTICING the Christians until long after the alleged events. Why would they dispute a tiny sect with a new belief?

There is no record of anyone disputing the Golden Ass of Apuleis either.

Many crazy sects and ideas were known in this period - most were never disputed because they were crazy ideas no-one cared about.

Christianity was the same - until later, when it became powerful and other groups had to respond.

ggazoo said:
Jesus was on the earth for 40 days before His assension (sp?) and had spoken to groups of people up to 5,000.

According to which Gospel?
Did you notice Acts and the Gospels contradict?

ggazoo said:
His ministry was real, and He quoted quite a bit from the existing scriptures (which is now the OT). So we know historically Jesus, His ministry, death, resurrection, and assension was real, and in His ministry He validated the OT,

The Jesus story was crafted from the OT - that's why it matches - it was WRITTEN to match.

ggazoo said:
which also has alot of strong support hisorically and archeaologically.

There is no historical or archeological support for Jesus AT ALL - NONE, nada, zip, zero. Just late legends which grow with the telling.

ggazoo said:

Exceptional was he?
Do you believe that a horse gave birth to a lamb?
Josephus said it happened.

The famous Testamonium Flavianum in the Antiquities of the Jews is considered probably the best evidence for Jesus, yet it has some serious problems :
* the T.F. as it stands uses clearly Christian phrases and names Christ as Messiah, it could not possibly have been written by the Jew Josephus (who remained a Jew and refused to call anyone "messiah" in his book which was partly about how false messiahs kept leading Israel astray.),
* The T.F. comes in several versions of various ages,
* The T.F. was not mentioned by any of the early CHurch fathers were reviewed Josephus. Origen even says Josephus does NOT call Jesus the Messiah, showing the passage was not present in that earlier era.
* The T.F. first showed up in manuscripts of Eusebius, and was still absent from some manuscripts as late as 8th century.
* (The other tiny passage in Josephus is probably a later interpolation.)
An analysis of Josephus can be found here:
http://www.humanists.net/jesuspuzzle/supp10.htm

In short - this passage is possibly a total forgery (or at best a corrupt form of a lost original.)
But, yes,
it COULD just be actual evidence for Jesus - late, corrupt, controversial but just POSSIBLY real historical evidence.

ggazoo said:
Another well noted historian was actually the writer of two of the books of the Bible- Luke. Archaeology has shown that he was write in many of his descriptions.

It is quite clear that G.Luke/Acts was not written by an apostle in the early period, e.g. -
"Nevertheless it is clear that neither the two books in their totality, nor even the prologues, can be attributed to a writer of apostolic time and, consequently, not to Luke." (Alfred Loisy, The Origins of the NT, Chapter VI, pg.142-3)
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy2/chapter6.html

Most importantly, G.Luke, like G.Matthew, copies a great deal, word-for-word, from G.Mark - not the action of an eye-witness. Stories and sayings similar to G.Luke (or perhaps an early version of the Gospel) was quoted by Christian writers, BEFORE it was given a name - e.g. Clement of Rome, Aristides, Marcion, and Justin. The Gospel of Luke is simply another case of an originally anonymous Gospel, eventually accepted by Christian as authoritative and eventually attributed to Luke.

Luke/Acts are late documents

Some of the reasons why G.Luke/Acts is dated fairly late, and NOT by someone who knew Paul, are as follows :
* Its infancy interest, pushed back to the birth of John. One is reminded that in the Book of James (the Protevangelium), half a century or more later, this infancy interest is pushed still farther back to the nativity of the Virgin herself.
* Its resurrection interest, including a whole series of appearances, visits, eatings, penetration of locked doors, protracted through forty days. This is in marked contrast to Matthew's (which was probably also Mark's) account and is much nearer to the second-century representations of Jesus' long post-resurrection conversations with the apostles, e.g., the Epistle of the Apostles, ca. A.D. 150.
* Its doctrine of the holy Spirit, which pervades both volumes. The holy Spirit is to come over Mary, 1:35; it fills Elizabeth, 1:42, and Zechariah, 1:67. It came down upon Jesus, 3:22; he was full of the holy Spirit, 4:1. It is on almost every page of the Acts, the whole narrative of which seems to float upon a sea of it. Luke evidently has a definite and developed doctrine of the holy Spirit, which was the fruit of no little religious reflection.
* The interest in punitive miracle, a feature conspicuous in the Elijah-Elisha cycles of Kings but wholly wanting from Mark and Matthew. It marks the opening scene of Luke (Zechariah is struck dumb) and plays a prominent part in the Acts: Ananias and Sapphira are struck dead, 5:5, 10; Elymas is struck blind, 13:11; compare 12:23. In this trait we are on our way to the fondness for punitive miracle in the infancy gospels of the second century, which also found it edifying, e.g., the Gospel of Thomas.
* The passing of the Jewish controversy; this interest, so acute in Paul's day, has become a dead issue when Luke is written.
* The interest in Christian psalmody. Luke preserves hymn after hymn, 1:42, 46, 68; 2:14, 29-the Magnificat, the Benedictus, the Gloria in Excelsis, the Nunc Dimittis. Nowhere else do we find any such early interest in Christian poesy, except in Eph. 5:14 and in the arias, choruses, and antiphonies of the Revelation. Already that liturgical endowment, which Walter Pater once said was one of the special gifts of the early church, was beginning to appear.
* Church organization; the Twelve appear in the Acts as a sort of college of apostles, stationed in Jerusalem, watching over the progress of the Christian mission. With them are associated the elders, 15:2, 6, 22; 16:4, etc. Paul is represented as appointing elders in each church, 14:23, so the presbyteral organization is recognized as established, though Paul himself in his list of types of Christian leadership in I Cor. 12:28 says nothing about elders. The office of deacon is also traced back to the earliest days of the church and given added dignity and luster by the story of Stephen, chapters 6, 7. Luke's account of Ananias and Sapphira shows an interest in church funds when he wrote the Acts, and the story of Dorcas sewing for the poor, 9:39, also points to a considerable degree of organization. The point made here is not as to the fact of such embezzlement or charitable doings in the church, but of the writer's interest in recording them. Here belongs also the emphasis upon baptism as a condition of church membership, forgiveness, and salvation that is so characteristic of the Acts. 2:38; 8:12, 36; 9:18; 10:47; 16:15, 33.
* The Speaking with Tongues; this was simply ecstatic utterance with Paul, I Corinthians, chapters 12-14, but in the Acts it has come to be a miraculous endowment with the power to speak foreign languages, Acts 2:4-11.
(The alleged silence of Luke about Paul's death)
* Paul is dead; that he is still living when the curtain falls upon the Acts in 28:30, 31, is outweighed by his farewell to the Ephesian elders, 20:25, with its solemn declaration that none of them would ever see his face again, underscored by its repetition in 20:38: "they were especially saddened at his saying that they would never see his face again." Such presentiments are remembered and recorded only when they have proved true.
* Paul has risen to hero stature. He is not only dead; he has become a hallowed memory. He is no longer a man struggling and grappling with difficulties, as in his letters; he has become a heroic figure and towers above priests, officers, governors, and kings. This is simply the retrospect of history. Lincoln rose in a generation into a heroic figure, very different from the man his contemporaries knew. The manner of his death no doubt contributed to this, but Paul's death too made its contribution to the reverence in which he came to be held, for he was probably the first of the Roman martyrs. Time has to play its part in the development of these attitudes. The success of the Greek mission naturally drew attention to the figure of the leader of that movement.
* The emergence of the sects; men of their own number were appearing and teaching perversions of the truth in order to draw the disciples away after them, 20:30. Apart from this reference to them in Acts the first we hear of the sects is in Eph. 4:14; compare 4:3-6, and in the Revelation, where the mysterious sect of the Nicolaitans is mentioned with abhorrence, 2:6, 15. Early in the second century the Docetists appear (cf. I, II John, Ignatius), then the Marcionites and Gnostics, and then the Montanists. Here, again. Acts seems to belong to the time of Ephesians and the Revelation.
(Edgar Goodspeed, The Work of Luke, pg.192-193)
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/goodspeed/ch12.html

Acts manuscripts highly variant

Also note - Acts is the single most textually suspect book of the whole NT - it comes it two different versions, one considerably longer (about 10%) than the other. Manuscripts of Acts shows the most variation of ANY NT book.
Regarding historicity, while Acts is accurate in places, its reliability (and G.Luke) as history is hotly disputed, as there are many apparent errors :
* Luke 2:2 and 1:5 is wrong about Quirinius,
* Acts 5:37 is wrong about Judas the Galilean,
* Acts 10:1 is probably wrong about the Italica cohort,
* Acts 5:34-39 is probably wrong about Gamaliel's tolerance,
(from Brown's NT commentary, Doubleday, 1996, page 321)

Also, Acts does not seem typical of histories of the day :
"Acts does not match the pretensions of contemporary historiography either in style or subject-matter"
(Oxford Bible Commentary, OUP, 2001, pg. 1029)

Of course, some parts of Acts are transparent mythology, such as the Pentecost stories.

The date of G.Luke/Acts is problematic, scholarly opinion varies from late 1st century to early 2nd century. Of particular interest the argument that Acts depends on Josephus (c.96) :
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/loisy2/chapter6.html

So,
to summarise the situation of G.Luke / Acts -
* it is a late document(s), from decades after the war, by an unknown author, not an eyewitness, who never met Paul,
* the Gospel is copied largely from G.Mark,
* manuscripts of Acts are the most variant of all the NT books,
* it contains miraculous stories,
* it is not typical of histories of the period,
* it has some historical inaccuracies,
* Paul in Acts does not well match Paul own writings (e.g. the VARIANT stories about the appearances of Jesus)

Iasion

MarcAC,

Just stating the obvious again - the use of the word myth does not entirely indicate an event that isn't factual.

It would appear then, that Cris is quite ambivalent with regards to the stories of Jesus life and teachings being non-factual.

So young 'n's, when you see the word myth being thrown around, don't just go thinking "false story".
Agreed.

You must have faith to believe.
Not true. One can use evidence to form a belief. The difference becomes irrational belief vs rational belief.

If evidence verifying the Christian Faith came as easily and forcefully as scientific evidence... would believers love God? Would they appreciate what His Son did according to the myths? Would they appreciate what He does? Would they appreciate the necessity to live a Christian life? Would they love the Christian way? Would they love Jesus for what He did according to the myths?
Why not? It would likely convince the majority of the world of a truth as opposed to only a third that is currently attributed to being Christian.

You have to grow to believe in and love God through faith in His Son Jesus - according to the myths.
Why? In many ways Jesus is an attractive story. I’d believe it if it could be shown true. Why must a religion exclude most of the critical thinkers in the world? What is so special about the emotionalism required to believe something on irrational faith?

Pascal's Wager is paramount (to debate it's veracity do a search and read what comes up).
LOL nonsense. http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/pascal.htm

Maybe those who wait for scientific verification are those who weren't chosen.
LOL, dream on. Remember that those who think themselves special tend to be arrogant and condescending – very Christian like, right?

All believers love God.
Not accurate. All believers love what they IMAGINE is a god. Quite a different scenario since no one can show that any gods have ever existed.

Scientists and scientific adherents don't (all) love the laws of nature.
Quite right. Becoming overly emotional about simple facts doesn’t make a lot of sense.

But we are off topic. Do you have any scientific way to demonstrate that Jesus ever existed?

Back