School bans 'slovenly' mothers from wearing pyjamas when they drop their children off

And what do you think would happen? People would just moan at you about your rules, while your society slowly became the same as we have now, because what we have now, is due to human nature, and you, by yourself, cannot change that.

I know; it's not something I'd likely manage in real life.

I am just making a point here.:)

And in case you think this is something only stodgy older people care about try wearing preppy or cowboy clothing to a goth rock concert.

That is not a useful comparison.

First, as an aside, your point above is that social norms set rules for fashion, and I certainly agree. That does not make the rules sensible of course and, as Montaigne wrote, that we have a negative emotional reaction to someone who defies our cultural customs is not to say that we are being reasonable. We must try to step back from ourselves and our affinity for mindless conformity to our personal norms and determine whether the norm itself is arbitrary or based in reason. Preferring one set of clothes over another, unless the choice affects survivability in some way (wearing a parka at the equator) is entirely arbitrary.

Second, and the main point, who defines the norm here? There were 50 women dressed that way according to the article. This certainly is a case similar to a preppy at a goth rock concert, except Joe was the preppy and the crowd around him was in pajamas. So the real analogy here is a preppy at a goth show, telling the goths that they are slovenly and need to impress him personally when they make their apparel selections (he claims otherwise, but do you think he'd be okay if they wore wrinkled clothes? or clothes that were garishly colored? or god forbid stained?). If large numbers make for social normalcy, and they do, these women were appropriately attired.

You know what? Not that long ago, tuxedos were considered inappropriate for formal occasions. They were invented to be "semi-formal." To this very day, "black tie" events are often still dubbed "semi-formal". Also, they were only for the evening. If you were married during the day, the tuxedo was entirely inappropriate. Standards change, railing against the change of an arbitrary standard as if it were some herald of of the deline of civilization is lunacy.

I would not be surprised if Joe did not even *own* a tailcoat, white bowtie or black silk mens' stockings. What a fucking slob that he appears in public after 6 p.m. without at least his tuxedo. Luckily for him, times have moved on, and now daytime clothes can be worn at night without offense.

Visceral proposed some society based upon her utopian ideal, I merely pointed out that human nature would drag that society towards what we have now, where society finds a level by itself. I was not proposing how society should be, I was just agreeing with the way it is, btw.
But that 'agreement' is an action that stabilzes the situation. It is an act that (re)creates. If we shift the topic to a change you probably would have agreed with...'

the end of slavery in the US.

Imagine someone saying to an abolitionist.

Your ideas are utopian. It is human nature to own slaves - which was true - and human nature will drag society towards what we have now.

This observation is an act.

(by the way. I am not comparing your opinion on sloppy attire with being pro slavery, either in the degree of importance or in moral terms. I am trying to show that the argument is 1) an act in itself, not simply an observation and 2) can be used in any context, even against your position here. It seems clear to me we are sliding towards more casual attire and have been for quite a while. Your position could be seem as fighting human nature's trend. You could be the one with a utopian ideal that human nature is dragging us away from.)

But that 'agreement' is an action that stabilzes the situation. It is an act that (re)creates. If we shift the topic to a change you probably would have agreed with...'

the end of slavery in the US.

Imagine someone saying to an abolitionist.

Your ideas are utopian. It is human nature to own slaves - which was true - and human nature will drag society towards what we have now.

This observation is an act.

(by the way. I am not comparing your opinion on sloppy attire with being pro slavery, either in the degree of importance or in moral terms. I am trying to show that the argument is 1) an act in itself, not simply an observation and 2) can be used in any context, even against your position here. It seems clear to me we are sliding towards more casual attire and have been for quite a while. Your position could be seem as fighting human nature's trend. You could be the one with a utopian ideal that human nature is dragging us away from.)

how about the idea that ANY women go out without a burka on? Oh right, we didnt like that one so we fought a war about it :rolleyes:

whats with this aversion to dirt everyone seems to have? people WAKE UP, this sterile sociaty is KILLING PEOPLE.

:bugeye:

My house is not sterile, but I try and keep things tidy and clean. Do you come in from outside and wear your shoes in the house? If you do, have fun when you have kids and see how dirty your floors and carpets are. I am assuming the ones wearing the slippers are wearing them indoors too? :shrug:

When my kids get home from school,or have been out. The first thing they know is to wash their hands before they start going to get a snack. It is just automatic with them, because I taught them from a young age.

:bugeye:

My house is not sterile, but I try and keep things tidy and clean. Do you come in from outside and wear your shoes in the house? If you do, have fun when you have kids and see how dirty your floors and carpets are. I am assuming the ones wearing the slippers are wearing them indoors too? :shrug:

When my kids get home from school,or have been out. The first thing they know is to wash their hands before they start going to get a snack. It is just automatic with them, because I taught them from a young age.

actually as often as i can i go bare foot:) Its better for your back (the only time i ever got a back injury was wearing buiness shoes and when the ground gave way under me i ended up running down it and landing flat footed at the botom with all that kenetic energy jaring straight up my spine) for one thing and BTW I do all the house work

actually as often as i can i go bare foot:) Its better for your back (the only time i ever got a back injury was wearing buiness shoes and when the ground gave way under me i ended up running down it and landing flat footed at the botom with all that kenetic energy jaring straight up my spine) for one thing and BTW I do all the house work

That is not the point!
I walk around barefoot about 95% of the time inside the house. I don't really care for socks, unless I put my runners on and am working out.

But when you go out, you wear shoes right. :bugeye: Do you walk or lounge around your house in shoes/slippers that you were wearing outside all day?

YOU DO ALL THE HOUSEWORK? My question is WHY???

Is she working all day and you are home?

If that is the case, I can see the trade off. When one person is home all day and the other is working outside the home all day, I think that the person who is home should take care of the house. They should get the shopping done, cooking and whatever else, not just sit on their ass all day while the other one works.

That is not a useful comparison.

First, as an aside, your point above is that social norms set rules for fashion, and I certainly agree. That does not make the rules sensible of course and, as Montaigne wrote, that we have a negative emotional reaction to someone who defies our cultural customs is not to say that we are being reasonable. We must try to step back from ourselves and our affinity for mindless conformity to our personal norms and determine whether the norm itself is arbitrary or based in reason. Preferring one set of clothes over another, unless the choice affects survivability in some way (wearing a parka at the equator) is entirely arbitrary.

Second, and the main point, who defines the norm here? There were 50 women dressed that way according to the article. This certainly is a case similar to a preppy at a goth rock concert, except Joe was the preppy and the crowd around him was in pajamas. So the real analogy here is a preppy at a goth show, telling the goths that they are slovenly and need to impress him personally when they make their apparel selections (he claims otherwise, but do you think he'd be okay if they wore wrinkled clothes? or clothes that were garishly colored? or god forbid stained?). If large numbers make for social normalcy, and they do, these women were appropriately attired.

You know what? Not that long ago, tuxedos were considered inappropriate for formal occasions. They were invented to be "semi-formal." To this very day, "black tie" events are often still dubbed "semi-formal". Also, they were only for the evening. If you were married during the day, the tuxedo was entirely inappropriate. Standards change, railing against the change of an arbitrary standard as if it were some herald of of the deline of civilization is lunacy.

I would not be surprised if Joe did not even *own* a tailcoat, white bowtie or black silk mens' stockings. What a fucking slob that he appears in public after 6 p.m. without at least his tuxedo. Luckily for him, times have moved on, and now daytime clothes can be worn at night without offense.

Amen to this post. You said it better than me.

That is not the point!
I walk around barefoot about 95% of the time inside the house. I don't really care for socks, unless I put my runners on and am working out.

But when you go out, you wear shoes right. :bugeye: Do you walk or lounge around your house in shoes/slippers that you were wearing outside all day?

YOU DO ALL THE HOUSEWORK? My question is WHY???

Is she working all day and you are home?

If that is the case, I can see the trade off. When one person is home all day and the other is working outside the home all day, I think that the person who is home should take care of the house. They should get the shopping done, cooking and whatever else, not just sit on their ass all day while the other one works.

no, when i go down the street i go BARE FOOT. I rarly wear shoes unless im at uni, work, out for dinner or at a St John event. Its much better on your back.

She works full time, i work part time, vollenteer part time, and am a full time student.

Are you saying that it is normal or the norm for a housewife to run around doing errands in Pjs? :bugeye:

Yes stay at moms normally drop their kids off at school wearing clothes that are less than acceptable to wear out. Pajamas, holey sweatpants and baggy T-shirts, old stretched out sweatshirts, with their hair underneath a scarf and no make up, quite unattractive but who are you trying to impress? Which is why they usually stay in the car, kick their kids out and then go back home. I see them all of the time. I have yet to see anyone pick their kids up in those clothes though because they got dressed for whatever else they did later in the day. I know when I was driving my brother to baskball practice at 4 in the morning I sure didn't get dressed for the day. I didn't wear pajamas but I sure wasn't wearing anything I would be brave enough to run errands in. Because as soon as I got home I went right back to sleep.

no, when i go down the street i go BARE FOOT. I rarly wear shoes unless im at uni, work, out for dinner or at a St John event. Its much better on your back.

She works full time, i work part time, vollenteer part time, and am a full time student.

That's beyond gross.

That's beyond gross.

if you say so, scientific evidence says wearing shoes causes back injuries, further more they are uncomfertable, hot and if i wear them all day my feet STINK. Its much more hygenic and pleasent to walk around bare foot.

GO down the street to do what? You can't go into any stores or anything here barefoot. Haven't you ever gotten something stuck in your foot?

once or twice i have trodden on rough gravel without enough calouses on my feet to protect from it but they build up. I dont stand on glass because i watch where my feet are going. There is one guy who can walk around the center of australia without ever wearing shoes no matter how hot the sand is or what hes walking on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzRDLLWAW4

Its a sign of the times when the outward appearance of the parents is an issue that appears to be important to an educational institution for their children.

Its a sign of the times when the outward appearance of the parents is an issue that appears to be important to an educational institution for their children.

I don't know..

I can see both sides of this argument.

What kind of message does it send the kids?

'Now you go and get educated while I just sit at home on my backside in my pj's.. hell.. I'll even drop you off at school in my pj's because I just can't be bothered getting dressed'..​

And then there is the side of me who says 'who cares?'..

I can't see why this is such a big deal. But honestly, is it that hard to put on some non-bedding clothes to drop your kids off at school?

Maybe I'm biased. I can't leave the house without having had a shower and changed out of my night clothes..:cool: It's the first thing I do in the morning.

I wonder how it would impact education in India if we had such ridiculous rules about parents clothing. Most Dalit parents dropping off their children for example. would be made to feel like untouchables.

I wonder how it would impact education in India if we had such ridiculous rules about parents clothing. Most Dalit parents dropping off their children for example. would be made to feel like untouchables.

I personally think both sides are stupid in this..

Back