Restaurant rescinds prayer discount

Might that have been the idea behind this fiasco all along?
Sure. Some people want to support the troops, some want to get people to pray, some people give discounts to families, some give discounts to women only, some people want to "make the world a better place." You get all kinds.
They are dicks anyway for making up such a discount policy.
OK. So don't go there.
Well, why not start a restaurant where some minority has to pay twice as much as anyone else. They have a choice after all.
Because then you are discriminating on the basis of someone's genetics, not on what they say. (I still think that should be legal, but I wouldn't patronize such a place.)
They don't have to convince the people that they are really pirates, do they?
Nope. And neither do the atheists.
The atheist do have to convince the restaurant that they are praying. Otherwise why didn't the restaurant say: "everyone that folds their hands will get a discount."?
Because it's their restaurant and not yours. They could say you have to wear a wig to get a discount, or put a fish on your head. Don't like it? Don't do it - or go somewhere else.
Praying is a specifically religious act. So they are actively excluding a minority from the discount. It's just plain wrong.
So don't go there. Problem solved.
Do you go to bars that have ladies nights?

Honestly, you have not shown how they are.
They are parallel. In both cases, you have to say something to get a discount. You do not have to SAY you are a pirate or a christian, you have to speak/pray like you are. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. If you don't want to eat there, you don't have to.

It sounds like your argument is that "I am annoyed by one and not the other, therefore they are different."

Sure. Some people want to support the troops, some want to get people to pray, some people give discounts to families, some give discounts to women only, some people want to "make the world a better place." You get all kinds.

OK. So don't go there.

Because then you are discriminating on the basis of someone's genetics, not on what they say. (I still think that should be legal, but I wouldn't patronize such a place.)

Nope. And neither do the atheists.

Because it's their restaurant and not yours. They could say you have to wear a wig to get a discount, or put a fish on your head. Don't like it? Don't do it - or go somewhere else.

So don't go there. Problem solved.
Do you go to bars that have ladies nights?

See Spider's post (#51).
Also, now it's just one restaurant that's discriminating on religious grounds. What if other restaurants would have followed their example? Where would I go then?
And it's not just their restaurant; it's a public place. If they want to discriminate they should start a private club.

Also, now it's just one restaurant that's discriminating on religious grounds. What if other restaurants would have followed their example? Where would I go then?
Wherever you like. If you are so intolerant you cannot abide any restaurant that does not hew to your beliefs, then you might have to eat at home. (o the horror) Fortunately most people are a little more open minded than you are. This is a good thing; that way we have ladies nights, talk-like-a-pirate discounts, wear-your-jersey days etc. Again, feel free to stay home if such things offend your beliefs.

Wherever you like. If you are so intolerant you cannot abide any restaurant that does not hew to your beliefs, then you might have to eat at home. (o the horror) Fortunately most people are a little more open minded than you are. This is a good thing; that way we have ladies nights, talk-like-a-pirate discounts, wear-your-jersey days etc. Again, feel free to stay home if such things offend your beliefs.
lol The horror indeed :p
But seriously, I would think the idea annoying but nothing more than that. Even if I was religious I would probably not go for the discount.
But I'm pretty easy-going, believe it or not. All people are not the same however. I can see how some people would find it extremely insulting, especially in a country like the USA where non-religious people are discriminated against in all sorts of ways.
And besides, it's unlawful.

billvon said:
your beliefs
I have no beliefs regarding the supernatural.

It isnt true though. When these statements are made shows one is not comprised of the fact that the U.S is comprised of different states all falling under the umbrella of one singular entity.

It isnt true though. When these statements are made shows one is not comprised of the fact that the U.S is comprised of different states all falling under the umbrella of one singular entity.
I'll take your word for it.

No more so than Mother's Day discounts are unlawful.
Have you read post #51?

Cool, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Not for me, no. But not for that reason...

The honest truth about the USA is that EVERYBODY is discriminated against for SOMETHING:

Too Rich
Too Poor
Too Fat
Too Muscular
Too Skinny
Too Tall
Too Short
Too White
Too Black
Too Asian
Different mannerisms
Different religion
Different hair style
Different clothing preference
Different culture
Different food tastes
Different car
Has Kids
Does not have kids
Etc...

My wife actually was approached by an elderly person at work the other day, someone who has talked to her now and again quite often... they asked her if we had any kids yet. We don't, and she told them as such... to which they responded "Well, whats the point in getting married if you aren't going to have kids?"

WTF?

Jesus, why is it the atheists who need to remind people what their holy book says?

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. - Matthew 6:6

Strawman? That was your exact statement. You said "atheists believe there is no god". You said it is a belief.

Examples would not make that statement true. You get angry 'cause people celebrate holidays too.

I said few atheists believe 100% there is no God. Non-belief isn't a belief. It certainly isn't a system.

I don't get angry for people celebrating holidays, another strawman, and I don't know many atheists who do. Christmas is my favorite secular holiday! And I think most people treat it as such. Care to elucidate a criticism that can't be shot down in 2 seconds?

Jesus, why is it the atheists who need to remind people what their holy book says?
Well, to be fair, it's go so much stuff in it that you can use it to support any position. ("Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" - Thessalonians)

I said few atheists believe 100% there is no God. Non-belief isn't a belief. It certainly isn't a system.

You can find exceptions to every rule. You are saying that atheists are not sure, not certain. So there could be?

Just out of curiosity, would an entity that can communicate telepathically, travel through space and (possibly) time be considered a god and\or godlike?

I don't get angry for people celebrating holidays, another strawman. Care to elucidate a criticism that can't be shot down in 2 seconds?

Come on now...:p

There is a short list of attributes one cannot legally discriminate for or against in the US - race, sex, religious affiliation, pretty much sum them up. Those attributes are singled out from all others - being a pirate or police officer or guitar player, being a fan of some sports team or musical group, etc - for what we considered good reasons, when we made them special. There is a history here, a set of facts that trump any kind of logical system that would reason, say, that being Catholic is akin to being a Yankees fan, so any bar that offered half price drinks for a game ticket stub and the right cap could likewise offer free booze to anyone who showed up with an Ash Wednesday thumbprint on their forehead. Historically, too much blood has been shed over that ash mark and its related circumstances, and we've had enough.

It sounds silly, but the protestations of innocence around discounting for prayer are not realistic either - as others have pointed out, we all know the discount is in fact for Christian prayer, and in particular Protestant, and joins a power struggle in which the goal is white male Protestant supremacy. The innocence of such a discount depends on a core of good faith that we have good reason to doubt, and so despite the triviality of the thing it is in fact illegal - we have banned that category of business promotion, and for very good reason. We have learned that you can't fool with religion and its affiliations - it's too dangerous.

On the other hand, the automatic devolution of the argument to atheist vulnerability is tangent - surely most of the people who have ever prayed on this planet have been atheistic, in the current sense of Deity. I don't know what the official Wiccan position on Deity is, but Buddhists and Taoists and trad Navajo and animists and so forth all pray, or most of them anyway, and it is generally considered a good thing to do regardless of one's theistic leanings. Atheists don't have to lie to pray - they just have to get their ducks in a row re humility and such.

Back