Restaurant rescinds prayer discount

So are you suggesting that atheists should have to cheat and lie in order to be treated as equal to religious people?
Nope, they don't have to do anything.

These things are all OK in my book:
Come for the big game! 15% off your order if you wear a Chargers jersey
Rum night at Chili's! 15% off your order if you talk like a pirate
Church Lady day! 15% off your order if you pray at the table
Friday the 13th! 15% off your order if you know a Wiccan saying

In no cases does anyone have to do anything.

Again, what if it was the other way around? Can you imagine the uproar that would create?
There would probably be a similar uproar.

That is not quite an equal parallel.

How do you figure? They give the stuff to the public servants that have chosen careers that require them to be out on the street over their holidays as opposed to at home with their families as a show of support

Likewise, this place was giving a discount to people that chose to pray in public.

It's a fine line, but technically it is legal.

Now, am I saying it's moral or that I agree with it? No. I think it's a good way to cause a ruckus...

Nope, they don't have to do anything.

These things are all OK in my book:
Come for the big game! 15% off your order if you wear a Chargers jersey
Rum night at Chili's! 15% off your order if you talk like a pirate
Church Lady day! 15% off your order if you pray at the table
Friday the 13th! 15% off your order if you know a Wiccan saying

In no cases does anyone have to do anything.
The difference ofcourse is that atheists can't pray. They can only pretend to; i.e. cheating and lying.

There would probably be a similar uproar.
Personally, I think the theists would make a much bigger fuss.

The difference ofcourse is that atheists can't pray.
Sure they can. They don't believe in God; it's no different to them than saying "Wingardium leviosa!" to try to lift a fork with magic, or saying "God damnit!" when they stub their toe.
They can only pretend to; i.e. cheating and lying.
If someone who wasn't a pirate talked like a pirate, would you consider that cheating and lying?

But again in any case it doesn't matter much. If it really bothers them they don't have to do it (or eat there at all.)
Personally, I think the theists would make a much bigger fuss.
Seemed like a big enough fuss that they stopped doing it.

Matthew 6:

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

It's funny you know... this big ruckus is made over some owner of a restaurant giving a discount at their discretion... yet the thousands of WalMart employees that are shown, BY WALMART, how to apply for and get Food Stamps (because WalMart doesn't pay a livable wage) gets nothing...

We are so boned...

Matthew 6:

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Slightly out of context - praying in public is something that should be done to show thanksgiving to the Father, or to inspire or heal, not to try and "cop a reward". It's much like in football when a player prays after a seemingly inhuman effort - it isn't looking for recognition, but merely giving thanks (or at least, it should be)

Sure they can. They don't believe in God; it's no different to them than saying "Wingardium leviosa!" to try to lift a fork with magic, or saying "God damnit!" when they stub their toe.

If someone who wasn't a pirate talked like a pirate, would you consider that cheating and lying?

But again in any case it doesn't matter much. If it really bothers them they don't have to do it (or eat there at all.)

There is a big difference between praying & pretending to pray. Talking like a pirate is not being a pirate.

Slightly out of context - praying in public is something that should be done to show thanksgiving to the Father, or to inspire or heal, not to try and "cop a reward". It's much like in football when a player prays after a seemingly inhuman effort - it isn't looking for recognition, but merely giving thanks (or at least, it should be)

No, it clearly says not to do it.

No, it clearly says not to do it.

It also clearly says:

Leviticus 20:18 ESV
If a man lies with a woman during her menstrual period and uncovers her nakedness, he has made naked her fountain, and she has uncovered the fountain of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

Leviticus 15:19-24 ESV
“When a woman has a discharge, and the discharge in her body is blood, she shall be in her menstrual impurity for seven days, and whoever touches her shall be unclean until the evening. And everything on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean. Everything also on which she sits shall be unclean. And whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. And whoever touches anything on which she sits shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening. Whether it is the bed or anything on which she sits, when he touches it he shall be unclean until the evening.

Leviticus 15:1-33 ESV
The Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When any man has a discharge from his body, his discharge is unclean. And this is the law of his uncleanness for a discharge: whether his body runs with his discharge, or his body is blocked up by his discharge, it is his uncleanness. Every bed on which the one with the discharge lies shall be unclean, and everything on which he sits shall be unclean. And anyone who touches his bed shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in water and be unclean until the evening.

I discharged urine from my sac of pee just a few minutes ago, and then washed my hands in the sink. Does this mean I am "unclean" in the eyes of the Lord?

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.

Whoo boy, that sucks for all those that go through the "rebellious teenage" years...

Numbers 15:32-56
They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Well... fuck... guess we have to kill all our policemen, and paramedics, and firemen, and doctors, and surgeons, and teachers, and priests/pastors/clergy, and... well, most people to be honest.

There is a big difference between praying & pretending to pray. Talking like a pirate is not being a pirate.

Why? You're not a pirate. Talking like a pirate is clearly "cheating and lying" if you are doing it to get 15% off. Probably pretty offensive to people who really are pirates, too. (If they were the type who got offended easily.)

In both cases, you're not really a pirate or a Christian, you're just doing it to get the discount.

Matthew 6: 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Do you follow the teachings of the Bible?

Praying is talking to God, no?
If you don't believe that that's what you're doing, you are faking it (cheating and lying).

I would if their goal was to convince others that they were real pirates by talking like pirates.

It matters to the people that take offense.

Praying is talking to God, no?
If you believe in God, yes. If not, it's just talking to yourself.
If you don't believe that that's what you're doing, you are faking it (cheating and lying).
Like those people talking like pirates?
I would if their goal was to convince others that they were real pirates by talking like pirates.
No, their goal (and the atheists who pray) would be doing it just to get the 15% off.
It matters to the people that take offense.
So you would ban "talk like a pirate" day lest some pirates take offense?

It also clearly says:

I discharged urine from my sac of pee just a few minutes ago, and then washed my hands in the sink. Does this mean I am "unclean" in the eyes of the Lord?

Whoo boy, that sucks for all those that go through the "rebellious teenage" years...

Well... fuck... guess we have to kill all our policemen, and paramedics, and firemen, and doctors, and surgeons, and teachers, and priests/pastors/clergy, and... well, most people to be honest.

Dude, it's your bible ;)

No, their goal (and the atheists who pray) would be doing it just to get the 15% off.
They have to convince the restaurant that they are praying first though, won't they? Or do you think that the restaurant would have given them a discount if they admitted to being athiests and that they faked the praying?

So you would ban "talk like a pirate" day lest some pirates take offense?
Why do you keep comparing religious people to pirates?
And I'm not worried about religious people taking offense at atheists that fake prayers. Not sure what made you think that...

Talking to yourself is not praying. Until some god gets up the courage to come out of hiding & show itself, I lean toward no 1 is praying & they are only talking to themselves since they do not know any gods exist. But at the very least, 1 must believe it in order to be praying.

They have to convince the restaurant that they are praying first though, won't they? Or do you think that the restaurant would have given them a discount if they admitted to being athiests and that they faked the praying?
Probably would have if they were nice about it. "Hey, I'm an athest, but I'm going to say a prayer; do I get the discount?" I bet they would. The waitress would figure she was "making people more holy" or something, and the words don't mean anything to the atheists since they don't believe in God. (If they were dicks about it they probably wouldn't get the discount.)

Or they could just decide to not pray. Or go somewhere else. Their choice.
Why do you keep comparing religious people to pirates?
Because in both cases, you have people playing at being something they're not to get a discount (which seems to be the crux of your issue.)
And I'm not worried about religious people taking offense at atheists that fake prayers. Not sure what made you think that...
OK, good.

Back