Restaurant rescinds prayer discount

How do you figure? They give the stuff to the public servants that have chosen careers that require them to be out on the street over their holidays as opposed to at home with their families as a show of support

Likewise, this place was giving a discount to people that chose to pray in public.

It's a fine line, but technically it is legal.

Now, am I saying it's moral or that I agree with it? No. I think it's a good way to cause a ruckus...

Discounts are legal. Discounts on the basis of a protected class, ie. race, color, religion, or national origin... are not.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000a

Or they could just decide to not pray. Or go somewhere else. Their choice.

The same for theists at a business giving discounts to atheists & for blacks at a business giving discounts to whites. How about a higher salary for those who pray on the job. If you don't like it, you do not have to work there.

Dude, it's your bible ;)

Which is exactly my point - in general, it's accepted to be a set of moral guidelines established to help provide guidance in a "big scary world", not something that can be followed verbatim, especially so long after it was originally written

Discounts are legal. Discounts on the basis of a protected class, ie. race, color, religion, or national origin... are not.

Okay, here's an example:

My church has a "family fund" that members of the church can request aid from in the event of financial distress - it is only for members of the church (it has other funds for things outside the membership).
By the definition of the law, this practice would be illegal.

Which is exactly my point - in general, it's accepted to be a set of moral guidelines established to help provide guidance in a "big scary world", not something that can be followed verbatim, especially so long after it was originally written

In general, it is pretended to be the infallible, absolute, totally true moral guide to be followed exactly.

Okay, here's an example:

My church has a "family fund" that members of the church can request aid from in the event of financial distress - it is only for members of the church (it has other funds for things outside the membership).

Not quite an equal parallel.

Again, how do you figure; this is the second time you have said as such without providing either an example or any sort of explanation... honestly, it's starting to feel a little troll-esque...

Honestly, you have not shown how they are. You say they are equal. I say they are not. I should not have to prove or disprove your unsupported claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
"making people more holy"
Might that have been the idea behind this fiasco all along?

(If they were dicks about it they probably wouldn't get the discount.)
They are dicks anyway for making up such a discount policy.

Or they could just decide to not pray. Or go somewhere else. Their choice.
Well, why not start a restaurant where some minority has to pay twice as much as anyone else. They have a choice after all.

Because in both cases, you have people playing at being something they're not to get a discount (which seems to be the crux of your issue.)
They don't have to convince the people that they are really pirates, do they?
The atheist do have to convince the restaurant that they are praying. Otherwise why didn't the restaurant say: "everyone that folds their hands will get a discount."?
Praying is a specifically religious act. So they are actively excluding a minority from the discount. It's just plain wrong. And they probably knew it otherwise they would have gone to court.

Okay, here's an example:

No, "Religious organizations" are exempt as a public accommodation. Just read the law, it's all in there.

(e) Private establishments
The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to a private club or other establishment not in fact open to the public, except to the extent that the facilities of such establishment are made available to the customers or patrons of an establishment within the scope of subsection (b) of this section.

That's too bad. It would have been fun to see the brouhaha that might have resulted when a few Wiccans went there and did a Imbolc meal blessing. "Oh, yeah, about that prayer discount - we only honor it for official Gods."

I seriously doubt it would be plural.

Honestly, you have not shown how they are. You say they are equal. I say they are not. I should not have to prove or disprove your unsupported claim.

Right...

I said:
Not quite an equal parallel - now, if they were only giving discounts to people of a specific religion that prayed, then you'd be spot on; I don't know the details on that to say what they were or were not doing for sure.

It's sort of like how I know several small coffee shops that give free coffee and sometimes a free bagel/doughnut/muffin etc to EMT's, Police Officers, and Firefighters on holidays - it's sort of their way of saying "thank you for your service".

You said:
That is not quite an equal parallel.

Offering zero explanation on how or why they are supposedly not equal.

I said:
Okay, here's an example:

You said:
Not quite an equal parallel.

Again, without explanation on how or why they are supposedly not equal.

At this point, I can only assume you to be attempting to troll and are otherwise incapable of supporting your position; that said, I accept your acquiescence of my point.

No, "Religious organizations" are exempt as a public accommodation. Just read the law, it's all in there.

(e) Private establishments
The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to a private club or other establishment not in fact open to the public, except to the extent that the facilities of such establishment are made available to the customers or patrons of an establishment within the scope of subsection (b) of this section.

Hm... fair enough - I apologize, I was not aware how exacting the law was in this regard... especially given the recent decision by the Supreme Court that a business can refuse to cover contraceptives for its workers on "religious grounds"...

Odd that... we can refuse to cover treatment for contraceptives for a woman, even though they are often used to help relieve or reduce the symptoms of her period and not JUST for birth control... yet offering a discount to someone with similar religious views is apparently illegal.

*scratches head* I say again... as a country, we are so boned.

Hm... fair enough - I apologize, I was not aware how exacting the law was in this regard... especially given the recent decision by the Supreme Court that a business can refuse to cover contraceptives for its workers on "religious grounds"...

Odd that... we can refuse to cover treatment for contraceptives for a woman, even though they are often used to help relieve or reduce the symptoms of her period and not JUST for birth control... yet offering a discount to someone with similar religious views is apparently illegal.

The difference is that the company is not discriminating between workers. They cover none of their workers. It's still idiotic though, imo.

If it seems odd, that's because the Supreme Court has a majority of religious conservatives. And their decision was incorrect in my opinion.

The difference is that the company is not discriminating between workers. They cover none of their workers. It's still idiotic though, imo.

It's still on the grounds of religious differences though... bah, this country is fubar XD

It's still on the grounds of religious differences though... bah, this country is fubar XD

Yes, it is becoming too conservative...Atheist Conservative. I find the atheist theory to be funny. It is akin to saying "hey, i know Gliese 832c has no oceans". ba ha ha ha ha....

Yes, it is becoming too conservative...Atheist Conservative. I find the atheist theory to be funny. It is akin to saying "hey, i know Gliese 832c has no oceans". ba ha ha ha ha....
Few atheists I know say they know there is no God. We just don't believe there is one.

Back