Reflections of a Former Christian

South star, it will take some time to digest your lengthy post but what comes to mind are three questions:
"Are we a reflection of our universe?"
or
"Is the universe a reflection of us?"
or
"is it both?"

My answer would be both and a very complicated mix of both at that.

IMO, Satyr's role is this particular exchange is analagous to that of Matt Damon in Dogma at the beginning preceding the bit where he says "I just love fucking with the clergy".

§outh§tar said:
QQ,

Not sure I understand the question. What is the 'universe', by the way?
Actually I am unaware of the correct philosophical terms for what I wish to describe.
However the universe is all that is outside of you, everything that is outside of you assumeing you are looking outwards at all times. [ even when belly gazing]

From what i understand we are essentially like mirrors and that all of us are reflecting off of each other and our universe simultaneously and at all times.

When you use the word innate I would only conclude that we are innately a mirror to our universe. We do however have a degree of control over what we reflect, a mirror that is self animated or articulated by will.

It could be argued that the mirror may be a DNA construct that is predispositioned to reflect certain things, one of those things is to reflect that which is most successful for that mirror. [ primary innate desire]
As we grow we [as mirrors] learn to reflect that which is most successful....to be moral to ourselves being our greatest calling.

I am sorry if I have confused as I am not conversant with the conventional language.

philo synonyms:
Mirror, reflect, emmulate, copy, mimic, mime, empathy, take on, distribute,

Heh. You are very patient.

Quote J:
“People don't seem to realize that right and wrong are moral descriptors, not self-existent entities, like wood and stone. And in a religious context - the context of man's relationship with God - right and wrong are expressed as obedience vs. disobedience.”

* I am with you so far.

Quote J:
“In terms of Adam and Eve, it is typified by one commandment: "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die". Within the context of Genesis 2 and 3, this represents the 10 commandments of the Bible - the whole moral and legal duty of man towards God, is for Adam contained in this one simple commandment.”

* Assuming Adam and Eve could reason? From what I gather in Genesis, God did not offer an explanation for his commandment. Apart from “you’re gonna die!”. He could have said it is poisonous, or that it is mind altering or explained the consequences of knowing good from evil, maybe God could have expressed his fears that they may then become like gods once they chowed down on the fruit. Whatever. All he said was that it was the tree of knowledge of good and evil. What does this mean to the inexperienced Adam? There is no qualifier as to why they cannot eat the fruit. Why was the explanation not forthcoming. Surely, if you genuinely love your “creation”, you would provide the best possible information for their benefit. But what we get is authoritarian “thy shalt not!”, but as it is from God it is acceptable.

Quote J:
“And God knows he was able to understand it. Eve certainly understood it - she even interpreted it more strictly: "... and [we] must not touch it" (God didn't say this).”

* As above. They understand the command, not the reasoning.

Quote w:
“Desiring knowledge, being curious, eating fruit, nothing was simply arbitrarily "wrong" or forbidden, so that it required some special ability or secret insight to discern such "wrong" things from other "right" things.”

* They were not given information anyway. Are they automatons at this point?

Quote w:
“As Genesis explains it to us, what was morally wrong was only so because it was in direct opposition to what they already knew of God's will.”

* How much did they really know of Gods will and the consequences? Examples? So perhaps, without knowing much more about the bigger picture, which could justify Gods thinking, they were just “expected” to “just do it” or die! Is that not akin to Hitler’s way of thinking?

wesmorris said:
IMO, Satyr's role is this particular exchange is analagous to that of Matt Damon in Dogma at the beginning preceding the bit where he says "I just love fucking with the clergy".

Does Satyr have an anus?

Quantum Quack said:
Not hurt but certainly amused after all Satyr holds no monopoly on the right to enjoy the suffering of others. Reading his post was most enjoyable as I see him gasp with delight at his own darkness.

But as I have agreed not to enter into any further personal commentary with him in this thread I shall restrain myself from the temptation to show him how he has only the ability to enjoy half the picture and the worst half at that......

You have no idea.

stretched said:
* Assuming Adam and Eve could reason? From what I gather in Genesis, God did not offer an explanation for his commandment. Apart from “you’re gonna die!”. He could have said it is poisonous, or that it is mind altering or explained the consequences of knowing good from evil, maybe God could have expressed his fears that they may then become like gods once they chowed down on the fruit. Whatever. All he said was that it was the tree of knowledge of good and evil. What does this mean to the inexperienced Adam? There is no qualifier as to why they cannot eat the fruit. Why was the explanation not forthcoming. Surely, if you genuinely love your “creation”, you would provide the best possible information for their benefit. But what we get is authoritarian “thy shalt not!”, but as it is from God it is acceptable.

The one who has authority does not pander and dabble with his servants.
You do not moralize with a child. Period. An order is an order.

* As above. They understand the command, not the reasoning.

As do children.

* How much did they really know of Gods will and the consequences? Examples? So perhaps, without knowing much more about the bigger picture, which could justify Gods thinking, they were just “expected” to “just do it” or die! Is that not akin to Hitler’s way of thinking?

Think. What did they have to fear in Eden? Nothing.

why did god give adam+eve the capacity to doubt the perfection of eden and listen to the serpent? this is not a "you'll never be able to answer this!" question, i am interested in a response.

stretched said:
You are looking for a loophole, and so suppose that Adam and Eve should have been granted a loophole, some persuasive reason (other than God; more persuasive than God's word itself) that would have made them understand the danger of disobedience. As I've said, sin was not in the fruit itself, but in disobeying God, in doubting his word. By saying "you will surely die", God included all possible reasons and means of death in that one sentence. Many of them we are still discovering today. How many such "reasons" should a man require, before he will believe God?

We do not rely on experience of death to avoid death, in fact, our uncertainty as to God's reasons should make us more wary of disobeying Him, not less.

As above. They understand the command, not the reasoning.
You assume they would have understood the reasoning. Even if God did give them some elaborate explanation of the consequences of sin like, say Paul did, does that mean they would have listened? Do you believe God? Do you believe Paul's explanation?

You don't have to be smarter than (or as smart as) God before you can listen to Him. The reason they were given not to eat from the tree is that it would cause their death. You might not like this reason, but anything more will just be skirting the issue.

They were not given information anyway. Are they automatons at this point?
Does it seem like they were automatons? When they decided to believe the seprent, and not God, they were acting on information. That's the point of the story: they weren't committing some sin of ignorance, which could be forgiven, but a conscious disobedience for which they had to bear responsibility.

How much did they really know of Gods will and the consequences? Examples? So perhaps, without knowing much more about the bigger picture, which could justify Gods thinking, they were just “expected” to “just do it” or die! Is that not akin to Hitler’s way of thinking?
I will say this again then. The punishment wasn't that they would die (the punishment was that they would be expelled from Eden, and enter a life of toil and suffering), the reason was that it would end in death. It wasn't just an arbitrary bait and switch-trick, and Genesis says nothing of this kind. I cannot stop you from doubting God's motives, as Adam and Eve doubted God's motives at the instigation of the serpent, but I can tell you that it is unwarranted by the story, by God's nature, and can be explained by the nature of sin. No amount of explanation will make belief in God persuasive, if the course someone has taken is against His plain will. What is unclear can be unclear, it does not change what is clear - in this case: that they were not to eat from the tree, for whatever reason. If God himself cannot persuade you, no drawn out explanation will either.

never said:
why did god give adam+eve the capacity to doubt the perfection of eden and listen to the serpent? this is not a "you'll never be able to answer this!" question, i am interested in a response.
Doubt comes from not believing. The ability not to believe was what would have kept them from falling for the serpent's lie. Unfortunately, they chose not to believe God, and to believe the serpent.

Quote J:
“You assume they would have understood the reasoning. Even if God did give them some elaborate explanation of the consequences of sin like, say Paul did, does that mean they would have listened?”

* Some input from God would have improved the situation. See the below modern day analogy.

A modern-day parable:
Author Paul Alan Laughlin, a liberal Christian, drew an analogy between the story of Genesis 3 and "a more modern scenario." 7 The following parable is based on his tale:

A woman bakes a batch of cookies for a party. She warns her twins, aged 3, to not eat any. She explained to them, deceitfully, that If they did, then she would kill them. Not thinking things through carefully, she placed the cookies on a table, easily accessible to the twins.

A brother who was older, wiser and more mature that the twins asked whether their mother had forbidden them to eat anything in the house. The girl twin, Edna, said that mother had only forbidden them to eat the cookies -- on pain of death. The older brother chuckled and told his sister that parents did that a lot. He said: "Of course she wouldn't kill you. She simply wants to deny you the pleasure of munching on the cookies. She doesn't want to share the cookies. She wants to keep them all to herself." Edna does exactly what any adult could predict: she eats one. Then, she persuades her twin brother Albert to eat another.

The mother returns, not aware of the twin's disobedience. She notices crumbs on the table and on the twins' lips. She correctly concludes that the twins have eaten cookies. She flies into a rage, beats them, and throws them out of the house to fend for themselves. She cuts them out of her will. She does all she can to make the lives of any future descendents of the twins miserable.

An outside observer might wonder why the mother did not have the sense to prevent the theft by putting the cookies out of reach of the twins. The observer would probably consider her an abusive parent for treating her children so harshly for simply doing what kids will naturally do. The observer might well consider the mother's actions indefensible, because the children are barely out of the toddler stage. They have no moral sense -- they cannot really differentiate between right and wrong.

Laughlin concludes that in Genesis 3: "We call this God 'just' and 'righteous' for putting temptation close at hand and punishing people who, in their naïve and childlike innocence, couldn't have known any better than to do a deed that any deity (or human) with common sense could have foreseen and prevented."

Quote J:
“I will say this again then. The punishment wasn't that they would die (the punishment was that they would be expelled from Eden, and enter a life of toil and suffering), the reason was that it would end in death. It wasn't just an arbitrary bait and switch-trick, and Genesis says nothing of this kind. I cannot stop you from doubting God's motives, as Adam and Eve doubted God's motives at the instigation of the serpent, but I can tell you that it is unwarranted by the story, by God's nature, and can be explained by the nature of sin.”

* A moments pleasure and a lifetimes regret. The punishment seems a bit harsh given their limitations don’t you think? Its not like they were given a chance to learn from their mistake. And neither were the whole shebang of generations to follow.

Quote J:
“No amount of explanation will make belief in God persuasive, if the course someone has taken is against His plain will. What is unclear can be unclear, it does not change what is clear - in this case: that they were not to eat from the tree, for whatever reason. If God himself cannot persuade you, no drawn out explanation will either.”

* Yep. I agree with you, that much is clear. No, could be NO. But human nature is curious, should we totally deny that part of our nature? Why were we created in that way? It is not about not wanting to understand, its about not being able to understand. Do you think the analogy above is totally unreasonable?

Quote w:
"The one who has authority does not pander and dabble with his servants.
You do not moralize with a child. Period. An order is an order."

* Are you serious? Do you believe this to be the way it should be?

stretched said:
Some input from God would have improved the situation. See the below modern day analogy.
I have a feeling this analogy is going to set out to prove just that - that "some input from God would have improved the situation" - and not be faithful to the Genesis 3 account.

...Laughlin concludes that in Genesis 3: "We call this God 'just' and 'righteous' for putting temptation close at hand and punishing people who, in their naïve and childlike innocence, couldn't have known any better than to do a deed that any deity (or human) with common sense could have foreseen and prevented."
As I suspected. Laughlin has constructed a story that contradicts the sprit of Genesis 3, and thus his conclusion pertains to his "parable", and not to Genesis 3.

In the first place, it depends on unwarranted deductions from Genesis - for instance that Adam and Eve had the moral aptitude of 3-year olds. This is often taken for granted when people assume they represent the "childhood of humanity", or the "infancy of faith". But it's an assumption. Genesis portrays them as intelligent adults: walking with God, naming animals, tending the garden, and conversing with the serpent.

And God would not have held them accountable if they weren't accountable. Compare Isaiah 7:16:
But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste.
With the warning God gave them, which they clearly understood, Adam and Eve had the necessary information to avoid the kind of temptation they were faced with in the garden.

I could use Laughlin's story against him as well: he appeals to the power of common sense, as if different variables would satisfy common sense better than Genesis. But consider this: the whole garden was grown around the "tree in the middle" - it suggests that the garden and the tree was inseparable. It had to be there. So it wasn't some odd cookie jar placed within child's reach. Another fact: Adam was created outside Eden. He was only placed in Eden when both were completed and ready. Third: "Eden" means "delicate, delightful place of pleasure", and it's significant that divine knowledge and eternal life is inextricably connected with it (see Rev. 22:2). This wasn't a cookie jar, it was a cookie factory, and Adam and Eve were the chiefs in charge of it. The tree, however, was God's territory alone - His stake in their lives there, and in the garden He gave them. Of course it's desireable - if you wished to take over God's share. This wasn't mere curiosity, it was a calculated act of disobedience by people who knew better. Common sense would have dictated that they listen to the owner of the garden and not to its inhabitants.

People like to say in defense, "if you tell someone not to do something, it's the surest way of making them want to". If people really believed this justified anything, our criminal justice system would have looked a lot different.

A moments pleasure and a lifetimes regret. The punishment seems a bit harsh given their limitations don’t you think? Its not like they were given a chance to learn from their mistake. And neither were the whole shebang of generations to follow.
Trust takes a second to break, and more than a lifetime to build. Why should it be different in our relationship with God? It meant that God could not trust them to refrain from seeking eternal life (or so-called wisdom) apart from Him, and He had to expel them from paradise. But to think that Adam lived in perpetual misery is also unwarranted. If we can enjoy life outside paradise, so could he. And God certainly didn't abandon them, just like He doesn't abandon us when we sin. But consequences don't disappear because we don't like them. If sin had no consequences, maybe everyone could have been happy, enjoying paradise with God looking the other direction. Yet it seems people have tried this route, and could not even keep the gardens outside of Eden intact.

Yep. I agree with you, that much is clear. No, could be NO. But human nature is curious, should we totally deny that part of our nature? Why were we created in that way? It is not about not wanting to understand, its about not being able to understand. Do you think the analogy above is totally unreasonable?
When it's in challenge to God's sovereignity? Yes, then of course we should deny it. Temptation only exists if we think something more desirable than what God would let us have. But it would be fallacious to think all curiosity leads inevitably to disobedience. If the desire to understand is practiced with respect for God, it will lead to greater things than the devil's empty promises. (Didn't he tempt Jesus with immediate gratification as well?). But this is what the Bible says:
Proverbs 1:7-10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
Such is the end of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
it takes away the lives of those who get it.
There's nothing wrong with our desire to reproduce, yet when this desire leads us into another man's territory, shouldn't we suppress it? Yet since the beginning of creation, it became evident there would be no table high enough, or law strict enough to keep "children" away from that cookie jar. People may choose to totally deny their desires, but it's an artificial solution. You'll find ascetics in all religions, especially those who consider life inherently evil. To this Genesis also has an answer: "...and God said it was good". When isn't it good? When it denies that God is good, that His word is good, and that His warnings are good.
Psalm 119:128 ...and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path.​

Last edited:
stretched said:
Quote w:
"The one who has authority does not pander and dabble with his servants.
You do not moralize with a child. Period. An order is an order."

* Are you serious? Do you believe this to be the way it should be?
If the reasons are really above their understanding, do you think explanations would help, or make obedience harder and more complicated?

An explanation places the burden of understanding on the recipient's shoulders: he first has to be able to follow the reasoning if he is to apply it correctly, and come to the right conclusion. This is necessary for situational ethics, when a principle has to cover any variety of temptations. A good law makes the transgression and its consequences clear without the need for further investigation, and that need only exists if the law is unclear, or the temptations can't be predicted.

But which part of "do not eat from this particular tree, or you will surely die" is hard to understand without explanation? There was only one tree, and its fruit was forbidden. No kind of temptation could overrule God's command while His word was considered binding, and no complex moral reasoning was required to figure out that God meant: "do not eat from this particular tree, or you will surely die".

Last edited:
water said:
Take the whole picture into account:

If you believe that this life is all there is, and that you are what your body is or what emerges from its functions, how do you reconcile (your) love and (your) death?

Why would one have belief in something that is necessarily beyond their ability to know? Hypothesis are fine and all, but you, I, he, she, them, us, anyone... none of them know. Having a belief in regard to "all that there is" is inherently limited to "as I see it from my context", which is not all that there is.

If all you think there is to you is your body or what emerges from its functions, then the love you are able to give and receive is as conditional as your body, depending on material factors.

All that is evident is one's body and what emerges from it. How can you make claims of knowledge regarding that which you, as a circumstance of what you are, cannot know. From the perspective you imply, doubt is the opportunity cost of existing. If in the tao, a circle exists and knows if it's circularity... how can it know what it is to be a square? It is a circle. It cannot be a square. You are alive, you cannot know of death.

So why would you believe you know of it? To satiate the discomfort of not knowing? So you reject what you can know in favor of something you can't know but would rather? What you can know is the limitation of what you can know, yet you reach beyond it in order to satiate fear? Such a rejection is the source of my disgust as mentioned to you

Can you love and have compassion in face of death?

Until you have faced death, you cannot know. Is that difficult to comprehend? It's apparently easy enough to circumvent in the pursuit of untenable knowledge.

It comes naturally that one is concerned about one's well-being, in every aspect.

That is simply not correct. It comes naturally that in the moment, one will act in such a fashion as to avoid significant harm. The rest of your claim is completely relative. What do you think entails... well-being? Perhaps it's just that term to which I object, as people pursue what they value - and well-being is a fluffy, twistable term confined and skewed somewhere an individual's context.

If one thinks all there is to one is one's body or what emerges from its functions, that is, if one perceives oneself to be essentially material -- then once this is threatened, everything about one is threatened, including their ability to love and be compassionate.

Even if one were to think as such, your hypothesis is simply wrong. Such a dillema is a matter of character - which isn't necessarily correlated to the specific's of one's rationalization as to their place in the context of "reality".

It seems obvious that if you are facing a rabid dog or someone pointing a gun to your head or your house burning, that you won't exercise love or compassion, neither will you be able to receive it.

It seems obvious to me, that you're indulging your absolutism and ego to the extreme with such an assertion. In a moment of fundamentalism, such as "staring death in the face", the rationalizations you speak of fade into white noise. One is stripped of their mental constructs and their character brutally exposed.

But what about more subtle threats -- like facing someone of opposite convictions like you, the threat of a possible terrorist attack, your children being away on holidays alone, and eventually, the death of those you love, and ultimately, your own death?

What of them? People react to the circumstance they percieve in accordance with that which they value (not that which they claim to value, unless they don't really value anything in whatever context such that their claimed value falls into play).

Sure, you may tell yourself "Don't worry".

What if you just don't worry? What if your mind is actually conditioned to understand that there is risk in every moment, and certain elements of existence are beyond control, and that's okay, because you can deal with the moment when the moment comes?

But.
Is your love the same when you are well in comparison to when you feel threatened in some way?

Do you have time to consider how your love in the moment compares to your love in other moments while your being threatened? If so, why would it be different? If I love you, but I've got a freak with a gun to my head... why would my love for you change because of some freak with a gun to my head? Certainly it my not be the focus of my mind in that moment, because I'd probably be trying to figure out how to survive the scenario in order to further experience life (of which that love is a significant part). Is that it would fall to the background in the moment, evidence that it's changed or lessened in some way?

Jenyar you're a freakin biblical automaton. Flexing your verses eh? How very boring and lacking of depth. I hate it when you bible bitches let your bible bitch flow. Such self-importance purported as selflessness. It's disgusting.

Back