re-EVOL-ve

Thank you!

No prob :D

The supernatural would swiftly become a hot area of science if there were any evidence for it. There is nothing about science that inherently rejects the possibility.

Please explain how anyone even had an idea about the supernatural if there were no interaction with the physical world? Claims about the supernatural can be tested to see if there is a plausable naturalistic explanation. All plausable naturalistic explanations must first be discounted before a supernatural one can be considered (since nothing supernatural has yet been shown to exist).

You are assuming that the supernatural is an explanation for the natural, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Secondly perhaps there is a supernatural interaction with the natural world- but its potentially prior to the Big Bang and everything else that we can possibly test- in which case the interaction could potentially exist but can not be tested.

Have a good day ;)

Contradict much? You don't believe in the thousands of gods that have been purported to exist. You are an atheist.

But I do believe in a God- even though he is not one of the thousands I do not believe in :D

Peace be unto you ;)

But I do believe in a God- even though he is not one of the thousands I do not believe in

Why do you believe in that god and not the others? Have you seen your god? Can you show him to us?

But I do believe in a God, so I'm not an atheist- I do not 'lack' belief in a God.

Peace be unto you ;)
While we don't write it as much, the truth is, to be clear it's not "an atheist" it's just "atheist".

You are atheist towards the millions of Japanese Gods (one of whose Temple I donated $500 Yen to the other afternoon) as well as the millions of Indian Gods as well as the millions of Native American Gods as well as the millions of past Gods as well as the newer Alien Overlords.

So this is basically 'If God is just' argument, I think this can be reconciled.

I'm sure you do, but I have yet to see such a reconciliation that I could buy into.

Secondly you would have to define what is meant by 'benevolence',

Actually it's the proponents of such a god that would have to define that. But they typically produce answers about God favoring moral good and justice over evil and injustice. It is rare indeed to encounter a God that isn't aligned with human notions of morality - an observation not lost on atheists.

secondly you would have to prove that God being omnipotent would cause him to not create humans, because of the evil that comes with it.

Why should an omnipotent being be obliged to include evil with humans? If he's omnipotent, he should be able to create perfectly good humans, without evil. So why didn't he? Is he omnipotent, or not?

And then there's the standard critiques of omnipotence itself being ill-defined: can God create a stone so heavy that God can't lift it?

That would be their understanding of God.....

What else am I supposed to address, exactly?

Couldn't God manipulate nature to produce an event- in which case everything can still be explained by nature, as it is the nature that is being manipulated? I mean the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Of course. But then what do you need God for in the first place, if naturalistic explanations will suffice?

Secondly it is possible that God only interferes in certain times, in which case you wouldn't have observed such interventions.

Well, we've been observing for quite some time now, and have yet to see anything. It's always possible that tomorrow the clouds will part and the hand of god will become visible to everyone. And if that happens, I'll certainly rethink my position. But until then, every day that passes accrues more and more evidence against a God that intervenes in nature.

Also, most of the populat conceptions of God hold that he's not only good and omnipotent, but amenable to prayer. I.e., he can be induced to intervene in nature. Yet there is no evidence of prayers producing said effect.

Secondly perhaps there is a supernatural interaction with the natural world- but its potentially prior to the Big Bang and everything else that we can possibly test- in which case the interaction could potentially exist but can not be tested.

True but, again, God falls to Occam's Razor. If his effects are entirely outside of nature, then we don't lose any explanatory power by removing God from the picture.

While we don't write it as much, the truth is, to be clear it's not "an atheist" it's just "atheist".

You are atheist towards the millions of Japanese Gods (one of whose Temple I donated $500 Yen to the other afternoon) as well as the millions of Indian Gods as well as the millions of Native American Gods as well as the millions of past Gods as well as the newer Alien Overlords.

Ok don't play with words- If you want to say that I am an 'atheist' to the japanese gods- sure-

But I'm not an overall atheist- I do believe in God- If atheism is 'lack of belief in God' then I am not an Atheist. If Atheism means 'lack of belief in japanese gods' then under this definition I am an Atheist- but as far as I know the definition of Atheism is not specific to a god of any religion- it is general to include any and all gods- in which case I am not an Atheist.

Peace be unto you ;)

True but, again, God falls to Occam's Razor. If his effects are entirely outside of nature, then we don't lose any explanatory power by removing God from the picture.

No, if we continue our Physics to the very very beginning of everything, then the effect of God could be present- the difference is we can't get there because of some practical limitations-

Peace be unto you ;)

I'm sure you do, but I have yet to see such a reconciliation that I could buy into.

Ok.

Actually it's the proponents of such a god that would have to define that. But they typically produce answers about God favoring moral good and justice over evil and injustice. It is rare indeed to encounter a God that isn't aligned with human notions of morality - an observation not lost on atheists.

My understanding is that both good and evil are from God- the difference is we have the choice between them and the test is basically our choices for which we will be judged- The alignment of God to human morality is that God wants the humans to choose the good rather than the evil- there is a deeper understanding to this whole issue but I don't want to get into that because the subject is too complex for me to convey.

Why should an omnipotent being be obliged to include evil with humans? If he's omnipotent, he should be able to create perfectly good humans, without evil. So why didn't he? Is he omnipotent, or not?

He isn't obliged to include anything, but he is not obliged to exclude it- why we are a certain way can be understood by understanding why God created us in the first place.

And then there's the standard critiques of omnipotence itself being ill-defined: can God create a stone so heavy that God can't lift it?

This is a intentional paradox created.

What else am I supposed to address, exactly?

Oh, I was agreeing with you ;)

Of course. But then what do you need God for in the first place, if naturalistic explanations will suffice?

If something is not needed for an explanation its existence is to be rejected....? This is not a very convincing argument.

Well, we've been observing for quite some time now, and have yet to see anything. It's always possible that tomorrow the clouds will part and the hand of god will become visible to everyone. And if that happens, I'll certainly rethink my position. But until then, every day that passes accrues more and more evidence against a God that intervenes in nature.

Oh actually I was referring to his interference in selected events. For example perhaps there is a saint living that did something unusual- of course scientists aren't there observing that. (I'm using saints as an example, just to say that these could be isolated events and not simply what occur in 'nature' in general)

Also, most of the populat conceptions of God hold that he's not only good and omnipotent, but amenable to prayer. I.e., he can be induced to intervene in nature. Yet there is no evidence of prayers producing said effect.

But no time frame for the effect of prayer is usually given- and usually no guarantees are presented that the prayer will be 'accepted' so to speak. No experiment could 'control' for these variables, so such experiments have design flaws and such an experiment therefore bears no relevance.

Peace be unto you ;)

No, if we continue our Physics to the very very beginning of everything, then the effect of God could be present- the difference is we can't get there because of some practical limitations-

No, it is physically impossible to observe anything prior to the big bang, even in principle (not just "practical limitations"). This is because anything that occurred before than cannot influence our universe in any way. You could still posit that God "created" the big bang, but it really doesn't change anything. Everything before/outside the Big Bang has no effect on the universe, and so you lose nothing in the explanation by excluding God from the picture.

No, it is physically impossible to observe anything prior to the big bang, even in principle (not just "practical limitations"). This is because anything that occurred before than cannot influence our universe in any way. You could still posit that God "created" the big bang, but it really doesn't change anything. Everything before/outside the Big Bang has no effect on the universe, and so you lose nothing in the explanation by excluding God from the picture.

The explanation for the existence of something is an explanation for that somethings beginning..... You don't lose anything, in terms of explanation, for that which comes after it.

Peace be unto you ;)

My understanding is that both good and evil are from God-

So God created evil, in other words.

the difference is we have the choice between them and the test is basically our choices for which we will be judged

The standard answer, to which I have the standard reply: why would he create evil people in the first place, and then judge and punish those who exhibit it? Seems awfully cruel, considering that an omnipotent being could have just created perfect, good humans to begin with, and so skipped all the suffering and evil-doing.

And then there's all that suffering that isn't the result of human moral decisions: natural disaster ("acts of God," as it were), birth defects, predation, etc. Why would a just, loving God create a world with so much inherent, unchosen suffering?

The alignment of God to human morality is that God wants the humans to choose the good rather than the evil

So then why didn't he create humans that would always choose good over evil? Is he omnipotent, or not?

He isn't obliged to include anything, but he is not obliged to exclude it- why we are a certain way can be understood by understanding why God created us in the first place.

Indeed. The kicker here is that none of the standard explanations I've heard square with the purported properties of God as good and omnipotent. If he were good, but not omnipotent, that would be fine. Likewise if he were omnipotent but not good (which sounds like what you're suggesting, actually). But not both.

This is a intentional paradox created.

Created by the assertion of omnipotence. Just because you don't bother asking a question doesn't mean it isn't salient. The concept is ill-defined to begin with.

If something is not needed for an explanation its existence is to be reject....? This is not a very convincing argument.

And yet, it's produced a great deal of quality science of the years.

But the point is more that questions of existence in that case are not interesting: they have no bearing on reality. And so we see that almost all theists go much further in their descriptions of god, to include active intervention in nature. What's the point in believing in something that makes no difference one way or the other?

Oh actually I was referring to his interference in selected events. For example perhaps there is a saint living that did something unusual- of course scientists aren't there observing that. (I'm using saints as an example, just to say that these could be isolated events and not simply what occur in 'nature' in general).

Sure, but - again - scientists have been around for a long time. Longer than saints, I'd note. And they've certainly gone looking for evidence, and examined purported miracles where available. All to no avail.

But no time frame for the effect of prayer is usually given- and usually no guarantees are presented that the prayer will be 'accepted' so to speak. No experiment could 'control' for these variables, so such experiments have design flaws and such an experiment therefore bears no relevance.

It's true that the failure of any particular prayer isn't that compelling. But when you notice that none of them appear to have been answered, for going-on thousands of years now... I mean, certainly some of those prayers were from righteous people, asking for righteous things, no?

And carefully controlled experiments have been done to test the power of prayer to heal the sick. To no avail. Are we to infer that the people who prayed weren't sufficiently sincere? Wrong religion? God doesn't care about the afflicted? None of these explanations square well with the manner in which God is presented: good, omnipotent, and amenable to prayer.

The explanation for the existence of something is an explanation for that somethings beginning..... You don't lose anything, in terms of explanation, for that which comes after it.

The point is that you don't gain anything, by positing such explanations. "God caused the Big Bang" is no different from "the Big Bang just happened."

No prob :D

You are assuming that the supernatural is an explanation for the natural, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

Have a good day ;)

If we cannot test it, and it doesn't explain anything that can't be explained by some other naturalistic means, then it's worthless as an idea and can be dismissed. Great examples of this are the celestial teapot, or the flying spaghetti monster.

The claims about the supernatural, however, are not like this. They suggest that the supernatural is observable and real, and so fall under the realm of scientific inquiry.

Not if the context (Atheism) allows almost everything subjective to become objective-

Uh... what?

And can that relationship be subjective?

You can always invent relationships in your mind but chances are they are not real. So yes, but that's not in the scope of anything that was mentioned.

Atheism doesn't give a damn about subjectivity or objectivity-

Atheism isn't a life form. It lacks the capacity to give a damn.

you're the only one stuck up in these technicalities.

That's because I can consistently distinguish between subjective and objective. Until you can, I suspect you're going to be going in circles.

Okay Atheism doesn't replace anything, other philosophies that are 'atheistic' do.

Maybe, but I am not sure they are replacing anything that isn't already there.

Can you disprove any 'human-claimed god'? (Just make a separate thread)

Of course, you can too. I have no interest in starting a thread but if you ever decide to explore it then I'll be happy to show you how.

To you it is, it could be subjective as well- depends on the person who cares about this-

Incorrect. Dishonesty exists regardless of what I think about it; hence, it's quite objective. You can observe it and you can participate in it.

Great, the universe is purposeless.....

Correct.

...anything in it that happens is lost in the purposeless universe...

If you loose your car keys you can always go find them.

- you're just follow the laws of Thermodynamics-

Incorrect. Physics.

...one day you're all going to be dead and lost in the purposeless universe.

Dead yes (you will die too). You can't be lost once dead... that requires consciousness.

Peace be unto you ;)

Nut sack.

Back