Racial inequalities in American justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think that people who want to commit crime, are going to want to work?

What, you think crime is easy? It takes more work to commit a crime and the returns are lower. Unless you're the President.

How do you know?

Every year blacks are commiting more and more crimes, so it can't be to much work.

Yeah too bad their dad is not in politics, then they could just call it free trade.

Because there are far more poor white people then there are blacks.

West Virginia, which has the nation's lowest crime rate, suffers from chronic poverty and has the highest unemployment in the U.S. It also has the fewest police per capita. West Virginia is over 96% White
How boring.:rolleyes: Another Count Sudoku:crazy:

What I find odd about this issue is how so many of y'all seemingly are content not to hold blacks responsible for their actions. You make excuses of poverty, of past slavery, of poor education, etc .....apparently anything to keep from holding them responsible for what they do. I find that reprehensible.

Baron Max

What I find odd about this issue is how so many of y'all seemingly are content not to hold blacks responsible for their actions. You make excuses of poverty, of past slavery, of poor education, etc .....apparently anything to keep from holding them responsible for what they do. I find that reprehensible.

Baron Max
Your racist views targeting everyone but white christians is what is reprehensible. Anything negative happening in a minority community is caused by race in the world of righties. Sick. Good News though, your breed will be a minority within 20 years in the USA. I yearn for the day.

What is interesting is that conviction rates are different by race.

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2000/usa/Rcedrg00.htm

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/usa/index.html

If only we can read a paper or click a link and become an authority on a particular subject, that would be great. What a wonderful world this would be.

You really have to...um, you really have to do a little more than that to know what your talking about.

In this particular instance, drug laws vary by state, prior arrests and quantity. Do your links address any of these issues?

If only we can read a paper or click a link and become an authority on a particular subject, that would be great. What a wonderful world this would be.

You really have to...um, you really have to do a little more than that to know what your talking about.

In this particular instance, drug laws vary by state, prior arrests and quantity. Do your links address any of these issues?

Please provide the relevant information and we can discuss it.

Please provide the relevant information and we can discuss it.

You cannot get any kind of insight by looking at percentages. In this case stating X percentage of Blacks .vs X percentage of whites is meaningless to people who know how the justice system works.

I pointed out that one person arrested for the same exact charge can (most likely does) have prior arrest (usually many arrests) and the other person probably is being charged with a first offense....BIG DIFFERENCE.:) Does your link even address this or other factors? I did not see it.

It also mentions crack vs. powder cocaine. Most cops, prosecutors and victims know that there are profound psychological difference between the two.

You cannot get any kind of insight by looking at percentages. In this case stating X percentage of Blacks .vs X percentage of whites is meaningless to people who know how the justice system works.

I pointed out that one person arrested for the same exact charge can (most likely does) have prior arrest (usually many arrests) and the other person probably is being charged with a first offense....BIG DIFFERENCE.:) Does your link even address this or other factors? I did not see it.

It also mentions crack vs. powder cocaine. Most cops, prosecutors and victims know that there are profound psychological difference between the two.

Fine, lets have the adjusted figures.

Human Rights? You're just talking out of your ass arent you?:bugeye:

NO, you are Sam. You have a tendency to ignore facts, don't you? The first thing i suggest to you or anyone else genuinely interested is to do actual research. Suffice it to say i haver far more experience than you do on this subject....LOL

NO, you are Sam. You have a tendency to ignore facts, don't you? The first thing i suggest to you or anyone else genuinely interested is to do actual research. Suffice it to say i haver far more experience than you do on this subject....LOL

So in your opinion, there is no difference in the arrest and conviction rates of different races in the US? You stand by this?

And I still haven't seen any "facts" from you.

So in your opinion, there is no difference in the arrest and conviction rates of different races in the US? You stand by this?

And I still haven't seen any "facts" from you.

My opinion matters as little as yours. I am telling you for a fact that prison sentences, particularly for drug arrests are determined by prior arrests and the quantity and motivation of the subject (dealer or user).

First offenders with small quantities and no prior arrests usually don't go to prison (depending on State laws) and often are referred to treatment. BLACK WHITE GREEN PURPLE RICH OR POOR. In essence, that is the problem with you links.

there is no difference in the arrest and conviction rates of different races in the US

That is correct.

My opinion matters as little as yours. I am telling you for a fact that prison sentences, particularly for drug arrests are determined by prior arrests and the quantity and motivation of the subject (dealer or user).

First offenders with small quantities and no prior arrests usually don't go to prison (depending on State laws) and often are referred to treatment. BLACK WHITE GREEN PURPLE RICH OR POOR. In essence, that is the problem with you links.

That is correct.

So why do blacks have more prior arrests?

Do you really have to ask:D

Yes I do, especially in light of the Presidents report to the UN:

In September, the U.S. produced-five years late-its initial report to the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. With unprecedented and welcome candor, the report acknowledged the persistence of racism, racial discrimination and de facto segregation in the United States. The tenor and content of the report signaled the Clinton Administration's recognition that despite decades of civil rights legislation and public and private efforts, the inequalities faced by minorities remained one of the country's most crucial and unresolved human rights challenges.

One of the report's most significant weaknesses was in its consideration of the role of race discrimination in the criminal justice system. It acknowledged the dramatically disproportionate incarceration rates for minorities, noted the many studies indicating that members of minority groups, especially blacks and Hispanics, "may be disproportionately subject to adverse treatment throughout the criminal justice process," and acknowledged concerns that "incidents of police brutality seem to target disproportionately individuals belonging to racial or ethnic minorities."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back