Quotes to remember

Down by the sea was my favorite, though I can see it through your eyes was a close second. Helpless Automation is a song for today. It was one of my top favorite albums, a list I have where the criteria is that I have to like every song. Somewhat rare, really. Most Pink Floyd albums but none from the Stones or Dylan fit that criteria. Elton John's Madman Across the Water, INXS Shaboo, Shabah, Blondie Eat to the Beat, Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance, Prince Sign O the Times, Roger Water Amused to Death etc. The latter my all-time favorite album.

An atheist album.

"Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cosy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigour, and the great spaces have a splendour of their own.”― Bertrand Russell

“Most of the world's problems could be avoided if people just said what they fucking meant.”
― Marilyn Manson, The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

AVxIn3b.jpeg

“Most of the world's problems could be avoided if people just knew what they fucking meant.”
― Marilyn Manson, revised, The Long Hard Road Out of What the Hell

Sweeping generalizations are just that.

Sweeping generalizations are obvious giant mounds of evidence, experience and observation. Besides, you missed the point. Propaganda is defined as "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view."

Everyone is biased, every artist promotes or publicizes a point of view. That's what art is. It leads you to imagine a point of view. It's only called misleading if it isn't your view. So, naturally, the ideologue sees art good, propaganda bad.

"The whole teaching of Zen consists of only one thing: how to take a jump into nothingness, how to come to the very end of your mind, which is the end of the world.”
― Osho, Zen: The Path of Paradox

TsuexYt.jpeg

My Mom got TWO KIA-BNR* letters from the USN. I called her from Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego ~6 weeks after she got the second one. (They were sent about a year apart. Details on the first one are not available.) She had never flown in her life and took the AmTrak from Indianapolis to San Diego. When she got into to San Diego she thought "now what?" San Diego was larger than any city she'd been in in her life. Luckily the mother of another sailor was there to meet the sailor's wife and she spotted Mom on the actual verge and rallied 'round. They took care of her for the five days she was there, "long to make sure you weren't dead". Then the other sailor's wife helped her get a train to St. Louis, where most of her relatives lived.

"When I got to your Grandmother's stash and pulled out a quart of moonshine." (My mother was famous for not being able to drink. That night was no exception. But she was the proverbial hooty owl and they kept her from getting arrested. Well, one of the cousins was Chief of Police, that might have helped.)

So, Mom traveled thousands of miles to see her best looking son and then celebrated with the pack of idiots she'd grown up with.

That, if you please, was a happy ending.

*(Presumed) Killed In Action-Body Not Recovered

Reactions: C C
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

rhbwayI.jpeg

Reactions: C C
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

rhbwayI.jpeg
I had a friend in high school who did shit like that just as fast as he could draw it. They tried to get him to go to art school but he said he had no choice in what he was drawing, "it just kinda draws itself." I told him that he was possessed. He nodded.

“I opened my eyes: soft light, morning, cool. The shimmer of a dream as it departed. I have always enjoyed waking up to different weather, as if the world's been up to something in the night.”
― Sean Michaels, Do You Remember Being Born?

OK5fCPC.jpeg

Back