Quotes to remember

“But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.”
― Albert Camus

n8Cqrl9.jpg

“Truth is a property of sentences, since sentences are dependent for their existence upon vocabularies, and since vocabularies are made by human beings, so are truths.”
Richard Rorty

Y6mFLQZ.jpg

Last edited:
“A bookshop is a powder-magazine, a dynamite-shed, a drugstore of poisons, a bar of intoxicants, a den of opiates, an island of sirens.”
—John Cowper Powys

rYEEidF.jpg

“The world and Being hold together only in movement; it is only in this way that all things can be together. Philosophy is a reminding of this being.”
― Maurice Merleau-Ponty

0QUjjng.jpg

“The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it doesn't include me, and it never has, no matter how you care to define it.

I do not identify with the local group, planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it.

I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.”
― George Carlin

“Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin, more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habits; thought is anarchic and lawless, indifferent to authority, careless of the well-tried wisdom of the ages. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid ... Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.”
― Bertrand Russell, Why Men Fight

yzITGCx.jpg

Last edited:
"It is quite impossible for a thinking being to imagine nonbeing, a cessation of thought and life. In this sense, everyone carries the proof of his own immortality within himself.”---Goethe

Ev7eCkl.jpg

Last edited:
“Another glorious Sierra day in which one seems to be dissolved and absorbed and sent pulsing onward we know not where. Life seems neither long nor short, and we take no more heed to save time or make haste than do the trees and stars. This is true freedom, a good practical sort of immortality.”
― John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierra

mjUq3jJ.jpg

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere,
but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great
affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches
of our life more clearly; to come down off
this feather-bed of civilization, and find
the globe granite underfoot and strewn
with cutting flints."----Robert Louis Stevenson

“There is a time in life when you expect the world to be always full of new things. And then comes a day when you realise that is not how it will be at all. You see that life will become a thing made of holes. Absences. Losses. Things that were there and are no longer. And you realise, too, that you have to grow around and between the gaps, [...]”
― Helen Macdonald, H is for Hawk

“I tell you this/ to break your heart, /by which I mean only/ that it break open and never close again/ to the rest of the world.”--Mary Oliver

“It was one of those problematic occasions with long silences, sporadic coughs, and people saying isolated things like, "Well, isn't this nice.”
― Terry Pratchett

“Once conform, once do what other people do because they do it, and a lethargy steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul. She becomes all outer show and inward emptiness; dull, callous, and indifferent.”
― Virginia Woolf

“Schools serve the same social functions as prisons and mental institutions- to define, classify, control, and regulate people.”
― Michel Foucault

r8FOH1P.jpg

“Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you truly love. It will not lead you astray.”
― Rumi, The Essential Rumi

LkMSv8X.jpg

“I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all.”― Stephen King

F7FDFRs.jpg

'Facts, facts, facts,' cries the scientist if he wants to emphasize the necessity of a firm foundation for science. What is a fact? A fact is a thought that is true. But the scientist will surely not recognize something which depends on men's varying states of mind to be the firm foundation of science."---Gottlob Frege

“I really think I write about everyday life. I don't think I'm quite as odd as others say I am. Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring.”
― Edward Gorey

GBhKUvA.jpg

Back