Questions on atheist morality

sam, it doesnt matter

whatever side people are, religious or not
people kill eachother
people rob eachother
people favor their kind and destroy other kinds

religion has nothing to do with morals
religion doesn't fix human nature, it doesnt want a violent person not be violent

Religion provides order in society and a basis for community feeling. Just look at any religious occasion as an example.:shrug:

Haven't we had enough of Sams lies? Why are we even responding to her? :shrug:

they should rename this forum "argue with sam" or "punching the tip of a knife"

we should start tipping in for a gigolo

Religion provides order in society and a basis for community feeling. Just look at any religious occasion as an example.:shrug:

I love st patrick's day, myself

but what does that have to do with morals?

I see three exhausted, bewildered atheists resorting exclusively to anally-ravaged grunts and petty name-calling.

The history of suicide attacks stretches back at least to the 11th century, when the Assassins, the disciples of the Persian master Alamut, conducted suicide raids on neighboring fortresses. The Koran forbids suicide, Mr. Post noted, but he added that suicide bombers often consider their deaths acts of heroism, not self-destruction, and believe they will be elaborately rewarded in the afterlife. Harvey Kushner, an expert in terrorism and chairman of the department of criminal justice at Long Island University, noted that suicide attacks are not condoned by most Muslims, but are espoused ''by leaders of religious factions within the Islamic community'' who have what he described as ''a contorted view of what is spiritually permissible.'' After their deaths, suicide bombers are often celebrated as heroes, said Vamik Volkan, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Virginia Medical School and an expert on interethnic conflict.
Attackers Neither Mad Nor Desperate, New York Times Service, Sep. 13, 2001

What brings a young Palestinian man to detonate himself amidst a crowd of teenagers? Is it a religious upbringing with promises of paradise in reward for acts of martyrdom? Is it the parental support he receives for his convictions? Is it brainwashing, or rather encouragement from a Palestinian society with no other means of fighting back against oppression and humiliation?

Yesterday the military wing of the Hamas, Izz al-Din al-Qassam, claimed responsibility for Friday night's bombing outside a Tel Aviv discotheque, which took the lives of 20 young Israelis. The suicide bomber was identified as 22-year-old Saeed Hotary, a Jordanian who had been living in Kalkilya.

"I am very happy and proud of what my son did and I hope all the men of Palestine and Jordan would do the same,'' Saeed's father Hassan told The Associated Press.

Family members could not supply information about Saeed's political affiliations. His brother said Saeed "was very religious since he was young; he prayed and fasted."

http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec_0049.htm

The history of suicide attacks stretches back at least to the 11th century, when the Assassins, the disciples of the Persian master Alamut, conducted suicide raids on neighboring fortresses. The Koran forbids suicide, Mr. Post noted, but he added that suicide bombers often consider their deaths acts of heroism, not self-destruction, and believe they will be elaborately rewarded in the afterlife. Harvey Kushner, an expert in terrorism and chairman of the department of criminal justice at Long Island University, noted that suicide attacks are not condoned by most Muslims, but are espoused ''by leaders of religious factions within the Islamic community'' who have what he described as ''a contorted view of what is spiritually permissible.'' After their deaths, suicide bombers are often celebrated as heroes, said Vamik Volkan, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Virginia Medical School and an expert on interethnic conflict.
Attackers Neither Mad Nor Desperate, New York Times Service, Sep. 13, 2001

What brings a young Palestinian man to detonate himself amidst a crowd of teenagers? Is it a religious upbringing with promises of paradise in reward for acts of martyrdom? Is it the parental support he receives for his convictions? Is it brainwashing, or rather encouragement from a Palestinian society with no other means of fighting back against oppression and humiliation?

Yesterday the military wing of the Hamas, Izz al-Din al-Qassam, claimed responsibility for Friday night's bombing outside a Tel Aviv discotheque, which took the lives of 20 young Israelis. The suicide bomber was identified as 22-year-old Saeed Hotary, a Jordanian who had been living in Kalkilya.

"I am very happy and proud of what my son did and I hope all the men of Palestine and Jordan would do the same,'' Saeed's father Hassan told The Associated Press.

Family members could not supply information about Saeed's political affiliations. His brother said Saeed "was very religious since he was young; he prayed and fasted."

http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec_0049.htm

Aah so you get your science from popular media.

How...American of you m'dear. :D

Like the Crusades???

:)

The Crusades were a power play, I don't recall Jesus asking them to go for it. :p

The Crusades were a power play, I don't recall Jesus asking them to go for it. :p

Nonetheless, it was a "religious occasion", as you put it.

What's more, Jesus never asked anyone to do anything.

Nonetheless, it was a "religious occasion", as you put it.

What's more, Jesus never asked anyone to do anything.

I do believe he distinctly told them to turn the other cheek and love the neighbor as themselves.

And no it was not a religious occasion, more like the tug of war for material benefits.

Animal instincts will die hard.

I do believe he distinctly told them to turn the other cheek and love the neighbor as themselves.

First, that wouldn't be a question.
Second, that directive worked out pretty good eh?

And no it was not a religious occasion, more like the tug of war for material benefits.

Yes, caused by religious strife.
And administrated entirely by the head of the most populous Christian organization.

Animal instincts will die hard.

Thank god for that.

Back