Question Re: towel usage.

you can use a bath towel for awhile as long and it remain clean if you dry it. there really isn't any need to wash them more often unless a person's drying "habits" call for it. some people do really wipe their private parts with the towel. after shower, all one needs to do is dry outside of buttocks/back, legs, arms, chest, stomach and hair. towels used this way can stay clean even up to a couple weeks or even longer as long as the person really is clean. but i would say once or twice a week is a good rule to follow. some people do need to wash their towels more often.

also, some people are not that thorough when they shower/wash so the towels would be dirtier so it would depend on the person and in what way they dry themselves. some people's work or lifestyle is more physical/active so they would need their towels replaced more often through the week. also, people shouldn't use other people's towels.

hand towels and washcloths would need to be replaced and washed more often as they tend to breed bacteria faster.

there are people who wear clothes one time and throw it in the wash. though this is a nice luxury, technically it doesn't mean the clothes are always needing washing. it would really depend on activity level, stains etc. underclothes needs everyday washing but not always outer clothes. you can usually wear an outfit at least twice before it needs washing. in hot weather or if having done strenuous work in clothing, that's an exception.

Last edited:
my daughter will end up washing the same clean clothes over and over again just cause she can't tell where the clean laundry ends and the dirty laundry begins..

Save the planet...clean only when absolutely necessary like if you cleaned your orifices. Drying the body with a towel after bath does not necessitate laundry trips.

How many times you wear dress shirts or slacks or dresses before sending to the laundry?

This is something me (the youngest of five kids) and my wife (the only child) disagree on, I would like to hear some input on it from you folks. You take a shower, you finish. You take a clean towel and dry off your clean body, drying yourself in the process. Question: is the towel dirty? Should it go into the hamper?
My wife and I (neither grew up with siblings) use our bathroom linen--which we share--for several days before laundering it.
As the youngest of five growing up in a large family the answer is no- your clean body and that clean towel remain clean- it only gets wet and needs to be dried (hung on the shower rod to dry off). To my wife the clean towel on your clean body somehow become dirty and needs to go into the hamper. So who is right?
You have to remember that "clean" and "dirty" are relative concepts. You don't need to be surgically clean unless you're going to perform surgery, and even then you only need it on your hands. So there’s still some soil, some body oil and some dead skin cells to rub off on that towel. If it’s your own soil, oil and skin, there’s no point in worrying about it, but still after a few uses that towel is genuinely dirty, and that’s why you wash it.

If it’s a husband and wife, you’re already accustomed to touching each other, so picking up some of the residue off of each other’s skin second-hand off the towel is no big deal. You should be willing to share the towel. But it’s going to get dirty twice as fast with twice as much use.

Children… well I wouldn’t want to share a towel with a child because they don’t clean themselves as well as we do. Letting multiple kids share one towel, well that’s up to you and up to them. But I ain’t lettin’ ‘em use MY towel.

If your wife doesn’t want to use a towel more than once, she’s a germ freak. Her skin is much dirtier when she gets into bed at night than it is after a shower (unless she takes a shower every night right before bed), so to indulge her germ-freakiness it’s her bed linen she should be changing every day, not her bath linen.

I put out clean hand towels when I have company. They might not want to share my germs and it's such a small token of respect that I don't mind doing it. I don't know what kind of hygiene these people practice, even if they are my friends, so when they leave I throw their towels in the laundry. I don't have company very often so it's not much of an imposition.

Nobody ever takes a shower when they come to visit so I don't have to be concerned with the bath towels.

I shower twice a day...

I alternate between two towels, and wash them at the end of each week..

I do have a towel heater..They're great for cutting down on mildew etc.

I put the towels out on a monday, and wash them either Saturday or Sunday.

Of course I don't roll around in the mud, or work in a sewer, so it doesn't take a lot to keep clean...Hence, towels don't need to be washed more often.

ok two questions, since this is the towel thread...

i am OCD (obsessive/compulsive)about someone else using my towel,its my towel don't touch! am i the only one like that?

when you shower, what is your order of clean?
i start with my head and work my way down..
shampoo hair, then soap,then shave and brush my teeth ..

ok two questions, since this is the towel thread...

i am OCD (obsessive/compulsive)about someone else using my towel,its my towel don't touch! am i the only one like that?

when you shower, what is your order of clean?
i start with my head and work my way down..
shampoo hair, then soap,then shave and brush my teeth ..

I go by pretty much the same routine...

And if someone else touches my towel...It goes in the laundry bin.

I shave first...then wash my hair. While the suds are still in my hair I lather up the rest and then do a full rinse......then after drying...I paint my toenails....Oops TMI!

I don't care if the same towel spot that was last used on my son's genitals- I taught him how to properly shower.

Wet Clean body + clean towel = dry body + wet clean towel.

Re: OCD. I licked the inside ring of your coffee cup as you slept. How does my saliva taste :)

i just wonder does anyone else stop while they are washing their face in the shower and realize they had just touched their butt hole with that same hand ?

i just wonder does anyone else stop while they are washing their face in the shower and realize they had just touched their butt hole with that same hand ?

I start from the top, and work my way down..So, never have that problem.

I shower twice a day...

I alternate between two towels, and wash them at the end of each week..

I do have a towel heater..They're great for cutting down on mildew etc.

I put the towels out on a monday, and wash them either Saturday or Sunday.

Of course I don't roll around in the mud, or work in a sewer, so it doesn't take a lot to keep clean...Hence, towels don't need to be washed more often.

why do you shower twice a day? superstring said he does too. do you guys really get that dirty twice every day, and if so, why?

Back